PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need IMMEDIATE Help With Character

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 01:14 AM
I've been repeatedly trying to figure this out, and my previous threads have died before I can get everything ironed out.

I'm building a polearm master based around battlefield control within his area of reach, punishing anyone for moving or acting while in his threat range, as well as increasing his threat range where possible. So far, I've changed the build three times, changed my race, and I'm still fine-tuning it.

I want to be able to stand between my enemies and my allies, giving the ranged guys plenty of room to do their spells without fear of overcrowding, but I also want to be able to fight with large+ enemies and not worry about being crushed. I've got potions for that.

The character idea is that he's the janitor of an overlord's dungeon, and he's on mandatory vacation. He caught wind of something about jello, trial period, fewer costs. He's not real sure what's happening, but he's on mandatory vacation so he might as well find something to do. That's where he ends up in Magnimar and encounters the group.

So far it's only lvl 6, so I need to figure out what I should put in the missing feat slot.

1 Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, EWP (Fauchard)
2 Toughness
4 Weapon Specialization (Fauchard)
5 Iron Will
6 Stand Still

I'm not even sure I need toughness, but I'd like to think I can benefit from the extra 6 hp. If not, I'm willing to sacrifice it. I did think about Combat Patrol at one point, the idea was recommended to be tossed and late game, it's apparently not as effective as it can be, anyways.

I've got a couple questions, and I appreciate any input/recommendations as to where I should go with the build. Note: I'm going into Improved Crit and the Crit Focus chain, not sure which ones though, probably stunned and/or exhausted, maybe Critical Versatility.

My first question would be about my armor. Should I stick with Fullplate, or go with Breastplate?

Kurald Galain
2015-01-12, 02:49 AM
So far it's only lvl 6, so I need to figure out what I should put in the missing feat slot.
If you have the intelligence, I would go for Combat Exp and replace Stand Still with Improved Trip. Because stopping enemies is nice, but dropping them to the ground also stops them, gives a defense penalty, and makes them provoke when they try to stand up.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 03:59 AM
I'm in the Rise of the Runelords campaign, and I'm about to head up against creatures that are two or three size categories bigger than I am. I don't know how tripping would work effectively against them, because going up in size makes tripping harder, but I definitely want to make it harder for enemies to get to my allies, but I don't want to suffer in damage dealing.

How should I modify the stats, and should I go Human or try for Orc?
What about my armor, or should I even worry about that? Just go fullplate?
And since you mentioned something about Stand Still, should I even bother with Pin Down?

So far I'm using the Fauchard for the reach and crit potential. I was recommended Big Game Hunter which gives me +1 attack, +2 damage vs anything large size or bigger, so that's my lvl 7 feat.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 04:45 AM
I just remembered my original idea, but I don't like how people are automatically assuming retardation with a 5 int. I could have stats lining up like this at lvl 6.

22 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 5 Int, 12 Wis, and 5 Cha.

Sure he's not smart or good in social situations, but he's friendly and built like a brick house that happens to be bred to murdalize anything that he deems a threat.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 09:16 AM
I need some serious help with this build, I'm starting to over think it and I'm losing sleep. Can someone please help me. I want to maximize the amount of damage I can cause through straight up damage. I want to kill it and kill it fast.

skypse
2015-01-12, 09:22 AM
Mental stats are hard to roleplay in general. 5 INT/5 CHA effectively means that your character is a robot. He does what he is told to do, he has no tactical thinking in the battlefield and has no idea of what a "priority target" is or how to identify one, he is ugly and anti-social in any aspect, maybe even unable to make friends or being agoraphobic/clostophobic.

He can't be "friendly" for various reasons, mainly because he has lived all his life in a dungeon as a janitor according to his background story and his criteria on whether someone is a threat or not, are similar to that of a wolf. Of course, if you don't consider animals (INT 3) of being completely retard (accoring to human measures) and basically incapable of thinking anything outside their instincts, then your 5 INT is a genius. Sadly, that's not the case and your brain status is close to that of a vegetable according to Pathfinder.

However all of these go to hell if your DM doesn't care about ridiculous stat drops and doesn't expect you to role play your stats.

Vhaidara
2015-01-12, 09:33 AM
I just remembered my original idea, but I don't like how people are automatically assuming retardation with a 5 int. I could have stats lining up like this at lvl 6.

5 Int is about Thog levels of intelligence, if you read the accompanying webcomic. You ARE retarded, being closer to animal intelligence (2) than human intelligence (10). For perspective, the average ogre (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/giants/ogre) (the big, dumb, drooling brutes) have an Int of 6, which is higher than you would.

Weapon Specialization is generally a bad feat. For Battlefield Control, you want Reach, Combat Expertise, and Improved Trip. The way the combo works
1. Enemy moves in your threatened area.
2. You attack them, replacing your attack with a trip attempt
3. You trip them, getting a free attack against them.
4. They stand up, provoking another Attack of Opportunity from you and all nearby allies
5. They should be dead, but on your turn you trip them again.

Psyren
2015-01-12, 09:49 AM
If maximizing damage is the goal you might be better off with Barbarian. You'll have fewer feats, but with Rage boosting both your will save and your HP you can safely drop both Iron Will and Toughness, plus you'll have rage powers. And 26 Strength at level 1 will allow you to pulverize pretty much anything that looks at you funny. Or better yet, you can drop Str to 20, still come out ahead of your original build statwise (24 Str), getting some points back so you can not worry about being dumber than a box of rocks that someone dropped on its head :smalltongue:

I don't think your character would be shortbus per se, but 5 Int and 5 Cha should really be significantly disadvantageous in normal society. You're dumber and less sure of yourself than the Paladin's horse after all.

How set are you on Fauchard? The crit range is nice but I don't think it's worth a feat, and it's only 2x. Guisarme and Horsechopper also have reach + trip, and they are both 3x. Or you can use a Bardiche for 19-20; it lacks trip but you don't need that property to trip with a weapon, it just gives you an extra option if you fail. These are all martial so you can get them for free.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 09:50 AM
So making the stats for this Orc to be reach combat ready, would be something like this.

after racial modifications

Str 18
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 13
Wis 11
Cha 5

Psyren
2015-01-12, 09:53 AM
So making the stats for this Orc to be reach combat ready, would be something like this.

after racial modifications

Str 18
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 13
Wis 11
Cha 5

Is that at level 1? That works out to 26 point buy if so. (Before racial mods, assuming my math is right, it would be: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 7.)

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 10:00 AM
Is that at level 1? That works out to 26 point buy if so. (Before racial mods, assuming my math is right, it would be: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 7.)

If that's the case, that means I'd need to drop my wis another point to correct that mistake, but I could solve this issue a lot faster by switching my race to human.

I'm trying to build something I think is fun, but planned out to fight things much bigger than he is, and by that I mean large, huge, gargantuan possibly. The drop in strength seems to hurt significantly though. Thus my 7th level feat would be Big Game Hunter.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 10:04 AM
I could set the stats up like this if I'm playing human, the most versatile race of them all.

Str 18, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 7.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 10:40 AM
Alright, I've come up with an idea to cover what I'm looking for.

As follows,
Human Polearm Master Archetype
Str 18, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 7.

EWP Dwarven Longhammer, along with Weapon Focus towards it, and that's if my GM agrees that the Longhammer is a polearm as well as a hammer.

Vhaidara
2015-01-12, 10:49 AM
Why is your Wisdom suddenly really high, while your Int is once again too low to build a Control-oriented fighter?

Psyren
2015-01-12, 10:50 AM
"Polearm" is actually defined in Pathfinder - it means a weapon in the "polearm" fighter weapon group, which Dwarven Longhammer is not (though your GM is of course free to change that.)

Why not Lucerne Hammer instead? It's definitely a polearm, it has reach, and you don't need a feat to get it either.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 10:58 AM
"Polearm" is actually defined in Pathfinder - it means a weapon in the "polearm" fighter weapon group, which Dwarven Longhammer is not (though your GM is of course free to change that.)

Why not Lucerne Hammer instead? It's definitely a polearm, it has reach, and you don't need a feat to get it either.

I was looking at the damage dice and it reminded me of an exotic earthbreaker with reach.
The Lucerne hammer looks good too, it's also got brace, and it saves me the feat.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 11:01 AM
Why is your Wisdom suddenly really high, while your Int is once again too low to build a Control-oriented fighter?

I'm being an idiot, that's why. These stats are the adjusted scores for a Human.

Str 18, Dex, 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 7.

Also, I'm not seeing how building up a trip chain is going to help me when I'm fighting against massive creatures.

Vhaidara
2015-01-12, 11:14 AM
The thing is that trip-chain is pretty much the only way to build a controller martial outside of Path of War (where you get the Warder and his Zone of Nope, which I believe Elric covered in one of your other threads). If you want to control through inflicting the status of "Dead", you want to go for Two-Handed Fighter alongside a barbarian dip for Pounce, and just explode things on the first turn of combat.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 11:31 AM
The thing is that trip-chain is pretty much the only way to build a controller martial outside of Path of War (where you get the Warder and his Zone of Nope, which I believe Elric covered in one of your other threads). If you want to control through inflicting the status of "Dead", you want to go for Two-Handed Fighter alongside a barbarian dip for Pounce, and just explode things on the first turn of combat.

I don't think this'll be a feasible build for Rise of the Runelords. Most of the Huge sized creatures are near impossible to trip, even if I max out everything towards it.

So I've got to go with a build that'll maximize damage, without dipping, preferably.
But more to the point, how would I get pounce by dipping with Barbarian?

Psyren
2015-01-12, 11:35 AM
I don't think this'll be a feasible build for Rise of the Runelords. Most of the Huge sized creatures are near impossible to trip, even if I max out everything towards it.

So I've got to go with a build that'll maximize damage, without dipping, preferably.

*points again at Barbarian, or better yet Bloodrager*

If you're set on Fighter you're probably looking at a charger build of some kind. Cavalier with OotB might be the way to go.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 11:44 AM
*points again at Barbarian, or better yet Bloodrager*

If you're set on Fighter you're probably looking at a charger build of some kind. Cavalier with OotB might be the way to go.

Lets check out the Bloodrager then. I do know I'm getting Big Game Hunter as a feat though, the bonuses from that will most-definitely help.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-01-12, 11:45 AM
Don't Halflings have some feats or class archetypes that let them basically trip anything? Wait, looks like that's monk only (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/halfling/underfoot-adept-monk-halfling).

As for being a Human that trips stuff, you should be able to handle that via buffs from your spell casters. At level 6 a wand of Enlarge Human is affordable after all.

Also, since you've got a decent Dex you might want to work in Combat Patrol (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-patrol-combat), Stand Still (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/stand-still-combat---final) and Steady Engagement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/steady-engagement-combat).

Elricaltovilla
2015-01-12, 11:46 AM
Yeah, you've posted like 4 threads on this topic in the last 3 days.

Your stats are pretty crap for a 25 pt buy in my opinion, and I don't know why you're going for a reach build if you're so concerned that the big monsters will be untrippable.

If you want damage, go barbarian or Primalist Bloodrager and pick up the Beast Totem line of rage powers, which will give you several natural attacks and pounce by level 10. Then you just grab yourself some big weapons, power attack and stomp face.

Psyren
2015-01-12, 11:57 AM
Yeah, you've posted like 4 threads on this topic in the last 3 days but I haven't actually seen you take anyone's advice... so I don't know that I can help you.

That's a bit harsh; he's modified his build in response to advice several times, such as moving away from the shortbus-level Int score and dropping Fauchard.

@OP: Bloodrager with Abyssal bloodline will let you become large whenever you rage, thus enabling you to trip Huge creatures again. Bloodrager can also get massive trip bonuses via True Strike and Blade Lash.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 12:10 PM
Yeah, you've posted like 4 threads on this topic in the last 3 days but I haven't actually seen you take anyone's advice... so I don't know that I can help you.

Your stats are pretty crap for a 25 pt buy in my opinion, and I don't know why you're going for a reach build if you're so concerned that the big monsters will be untrippable.

If you want damage, go barbarian or Primalist Bloodrager and pick up the Beast Totem line of rage powers, which will give you several natural attacks and pounce by level 10. Then you just grab yourself some big weapons, power attack and stomp face.

I do apologize, I'm overthinking a lot of this stuff. I'll take your advice and build a Barbarian, I remember a build based around murdalizing that I've wanted to try for so long.

Again, I'm sorry I'm being such a righteous pain in the ass for everyone.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 12:14 PM
That's a bit harsh; he's modified his build in response to advice several times, such as moving away from the shortbus-level Int score and dropping Fauchard.

@OP: Bloodrager with Abyssal bloodline will let you become large whenever you rage, thus enabling you to trip Huge creatures again. Bloodrager can also get massive trip bonuses via True Strike and Blade Lash.

Should I try combining this with Steelblood archetype? It sounds pretty cool to cast arcane spells in fullplate.

Elricaltovilla
2015-01-12, 12:17 PM

Fair enough, I've edited my post. But there's still no reason to keep making new threads. Two of them are still on the front page.

Psyren
2015-01-12, 12:22 PM
Should I try combining this with Steelblood archetype? It sounds pretty cool to cast arcane spells in fullplate.

Sure, Steelblood is fine. Well, personally I'd prefer Uncanny Dodge, but Blood Deflection is definitely a worthwhile trade for the tiny amount of DR they get.

Fair enough, I've edited my post. But there's still no reason to keep making new threads. Two of them are still on the front page.

Yeah that's fair too :smallsmile:

AttilaTheGeek
2015-01-12, 12:35 PM
Have you considered a Paladin? They're approximately as good at killing things as a fighter, but with lots more survivability through Divine Grace, Channel healing, and Lay on Hands.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 12:38 PM
Alright, lets go with a base build, no archetypes, so I can actually learn the class. I'm jumping into something new so I'd best not overdo it.

Are these good stats?

Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 12:41 PM
Have you considered a Paladin? They're approximately as good at killing things as a fighter, but with lots more survivability through Divine Grace, Channel healing, and Lay on Hands.

I've played a paladin before, and she died amazingly. That said, I think I'd have trouble finding a paladin that would agree to being a dungeon janitor, and with the group dynamic an Antipaladin would be out of the question. I've already seen half the lower class crushed by a tower, and a saw mill burned to the ground by an over zealous Fire Marshall. God forbid what would happen if an Antipaladin joined the group. Also our last paladin was terrible at his job and met an unfortunate end when he was crushed by a falling bell from the aforementioned tower.

Psyren
2015-01-12, 01:00 PM
Alright, lets go with a base build, no archetypes, so I can actually learn the class. I'm jumping into something new so I'd best not overdo it.

Are these good stats?

Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14

What race, and is this before or after racial bonus?

I would personally swap Dex and Wis.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 01:05 PM
I'm looking at guides, and they're recommending Half-Orc, also the stats are after modification. I put the +2 into strength.

The guides are also favoring the aberrant bloodline over the abyssal, but I'm liking how Abyssal builds, combine that with Steelblood and I'd be golden for that. I get Claw attacks, armor training, and the ability to cast while in fullplate without repercussions.

Oddman80
2015-01-12, 01:31 PM
The problem with stand still is you still have to roll a combat maneuver check vs their CMD toi succeed - only because it isn't a specific maneuver, you can only roll a d20+CMB. As feats like Improved Trip and Greater improved trip will give you an additional +4 above and beyond your CMB, you are better off using those feats. Additionally - trips can be performed using your weapon, so you get to add all of your weapon enhancement bonuses to your CMB on trip attempts made with the weapon as well. Additionally, things such as the Gauntlets of the Skilled Maneuver and Brown Thorny Ioun Stone can bump your trip bonus another 4 points. and the Snowstride Trait allows you to trip creatures up to two sizes larger than you (instead of just 1 size larger).

Oddman80
2015-01-12, 01:42 PM
Also have you already had the discussion of dipping Brawler for 1 level so you can circumvent the need to have 13 Int for Combat Expertise, and its offspring (maneaver feats) via Brawler's Cunning? The class' Martial Flexibility also saves you a feat, as you don't need to burn Improved Trip - as you can just burn a move action to have access to it for 1 minute (ie., more than enough time to use it throughout an encounter). You'll need to pick it up at some point - but only so that you can use the Martial Flexibility to then get Greater Trip instead.

Also - if you have Power Attack and Felling Smash - you get a free trip attempt against anyone you have power attacked (even during Attacks of Opportunity)

Elricaltovilla
2015-01-12, 01:52 PM
I'm looking at guides, and they're recommending Half-Orc, also the stats are after modification. I put the +2 into strength.

The guides are also favoring the aberrant bloodline over the abyssal, but I'm liking how Abyssal builds, combine that with Steelblood and I'd be golden for that. I get Claw attacks, armor training, and the ability to cast while in fullplate without repercussions.

If you're planning on picking up a weapon, then those claw attacks aren't going to be much use to you. Aberrant is usually suggested because it gives reach like being Large size does, but aberrant has a better spell list and other abilities I believe.

Psyren
2015-01-12, 01:56 PM
If you're planning on picking up a weapon, then those claw attacks aren't going to be much use to you. Aberrant is usually suggested because it gives reach like being Large size does, but aberrant has a better spell list and other abilities I believe.

Abyssal is another good choice as it makes you grow automatically while raging. This will help OP with tripping issues should he still want to do that.

Ssalarn
2015-01-12, 02:04 PM
If you wanted to stay truer to the initial character concept, you could try something like this (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qp90&page=10?Whens-the-last-time-a-Fighter-was-your-big#497).

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-01-12, 02:44 PM
I second Ssalarn's suggestion; but you can add the Mutation Warrior Archetype on top of the Dirty Fighter Archetype for even better results.

Since you're currently looking at a level 6 fighter, let's see what that would be...

1/2-orc Fighter(Dirty Fighter, Mutation Warrior)

15 PB:

17 STR 14 DEX 12 CON 13 INT 10 WIS 8 CHA

Alternate racial Traits:
City-Raised, Skilled, Sacred Tattoo(lose darkvision, weapon familiarity, orc ferocity to gain +1 skillpoint/lvl, +2 know(local) and proficience in whips/longswords and +1 luck to saves)

Traits: Fate's Favored, Child of Two Peoples(racial, +2 trait bonus on Will saves vs charm/compulsion; know parent's ethnic/racial languages) or Spirit Animal(+1 trait bonus to Will saves)

1st: Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Mutagen
2nd: Sidestep +1, Dodge
3rd: Mobility
4th: Spring Attack, (Combat Reflexes -> Whirlwind Attack), +1 STR
5th: Maneuver Training(+2 Dirty Trick CMB/CMD), Combat Reflexes
6th: Sidestep +2, Lunge
7th: Mutagen Discovery(Wings), Iron Will
8th: Improved Dirty Trick, (Lunge -> Greater Dirty Trick), +1 STR
9th: Speedy Tricks, Lunge
10th: Sidestep +3, Performance Weapon Mastery
11th: Mutagen Discovery(Wings), Dirty Trick Master
12th: Disruptive, (Performance Weapon Mastery -> Spellbreaker), +1 STR
13th: Double Tricks(2 conditions), Teleport Tactician
14th: Sidestep +4, Pin Down
15th: Mutagen Discovery(Greater Mutagen), Celestial Obedience(Arqueros)
16th: Improved Unarmed Strike, (Pin Down -> Pummeling Style), +1 STR
17th: Double Tricks(3 conditions), Pummeling Charge
18th: Sidestep +5, Improved Initiative
19th: Mutagen Discovery(Grand Mutagen), Shield Focus
20th: Weapon Mastery(Unarmed Strike), Missile Shield, (Improved Initiative -> Ray Shield), +1 STR

At level 6, with your stats, this would be:

I'd arrange your stats as follows:

STR 18, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 13, WIS 12, CHA 10

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 04:49 PM
I second Ssalarn's suggestion; but you can add the Mutation Warrior Archetype on top of the Dirty Fighter Archetype for even better results.

Since you're currently looking at a level 6 fighter, let's see what that would be...

1/2-orc Fighter(Dirty Fighter, Mutation Warrior)

15 PB:

17 STR 14 DEX 12 CON 13 INT 10 WIS 8 CHA

Alternate racial Traits:
City-Raised, Skilled, Sacred Tattoo(lose darkvision, weapon familiarity, orc ferocity to gain +1 skillpoint/lvl, +2 know(local) and proficience in whips/longswords and +1 luck to saves)

Traits: Fate's Favored, Child of Two Peoples(racial, +2 trait bonus on Will saves vs charm/compulsion; know parent's ethnic/racial languages) or Spirit Animal(+1 trait bonus to Will saves)

1st: Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Mutagen
2nd: Sidestep +1, Dodge
3rd: Mobility
4th: Spring Attack, (Combat Reflexes -> Whirlwind Attack), +1 STR
5th: Maneuver Training(+2 Dirty Trick CMB/CMD), Combat Reflexes
6th: Sidestep +2, Lunge
7th: Mutagen Discovery(Wings), Iron Will
8th: Improved Dirty Trick, (Lunge -> Greater Dirty Trick), +1 STR
9th: Speedy Tricks, Lunge
10th: Sidestep +3, Performance Weapon Mastery
11th: Mutagen Discovery(Wings), Dirty Trick Master
12th: Disruptive, (Performance Weapon Mastery -> Spellbreaker), +1 STR
13th: Double Tricks(2 conditions), Teleport Tactician
14th: Sidestep +4, Pin Down
15th: Mutagen Discovery(Greater Mutagen), Celestial Obedience(Arqueros)
16th: Improved Unarmed Strike, (Pin Down -> Pummeling Style), +1 STR
17th: Double Tricks(3 conditions), Pummeling Charge
18th: Sidestep +5, Improved Initiative
19th: Mutagen Discovery(Grand Mutagen), Shield Focus
20th: Weapon Mastery(Unarmed Strike), Missile Shield, (Improved Initiative -> Ray Shield), +1 STR

At level 6, with your stats, this would be:

I'd arrange your stats as follows:

STR 18, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 13, WIS 12, CHA 10

Alright, well I'll see what I can do about that, but I don't know if my GM would approve of combining archetypes.

Ssalarn
2015-01-12, 04:55 PM
Alright, well I'll see what I can do about that, but I don't know if my GM would approve of combining archetypes.

It's explicitly allowed within the rules, as long as the archetypes don't alter or replace the same class features. In some cases even that isn't a hard and fast rule; the FAQ for the Qinggong monk archetype notes that it can be stacked with any other archetype as long as you don't select a replacement power for an ability the other archetype(s) already trade.

And even if he doesn't allow it for some reason, Mutation Warrior is really just the icing on the cake. The prize in that scenario is being able to drop multiple potent debuffs on a target with up to every attack you make courtesy of the Dirty Fighter archetype. Mutation Warrior is basically just built in insurance for abilities you'd otherwise have to spend some of your WBL or rely on a teammate for.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 05:09 PM
It's explicitly allowed within the rules, as long as the archetypes don't alter or replace the same class features. In some cases even that isn't a hard and fast rule; the FAQ for the Qinggong monk archetype notes that it can be stacked with any other archetype as long as you don't select a replacement power for an ability the other archetype(s) already trade.

And even if he doesn't allow it for some reason, Mutation Warrior is really just the icing on the cake. The prize in that scenario is being able to drop multiple potent debuffs on a target with up to every attack you make courtesy of the Dirty Fighter archetype. Mutation Warrior is basically just built in insurance for abilities you'd otherwise have to spend some of your WBL or rely on a teammate for.

Okay, well I'm looking at 50+ CMD on some of the huge enemies, am I going to be able to hit over that, or should I even worry and just try the build out.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 05:48 PM
I want to work out a bloodrager build too, that way if the GM disallows the janitor build, I've got a backup, though I hope I can actually enjoy the class.

I'll look at- woah.. Steelblood/Primalist with... Abyssal or Infernal bloodline. I'd say Kyton but that's just a weird bloodline, looks mostly for flavor. I doubt the Armor of Chains bonus would stack with any armor.

Ssalarn
2015-01-12, 06:11 PM
Okay, well I'm looking at 50+ CMD on some of the huge enemies, am I going to be able to hit over that, or should I even worry and just try the build out.

Your CMB will probably cap out (assuming you get up to 28 STR) around:
20 BAB + 2 Imp. Dirty Trick + 2 Greater DT + 2 Maneuver Training + 9 STR + 5 (weapon enhancement bonus) = 40, so you'll have about a 50/50 chance (potentially much more if you have buffs and bonuses from Mutation Warrior up). If you swap a couple feats for Weapon Focus / Greater Weapon Focus you can keep that permanently weighted your way. That should hold true pretty much throughout your career. The nice thing is, as soon as you land a debuff like blinded or entangled (or both!), the enemy will take a big hit to their CMD as well (blinded + entangled = -4 to the target's CMD, -6 if you've got DTM and can upgrade Entangled to Pinned, more if they would still have a DEX bonus since that will be denied), so you go from a 50-60% chance of success to guaranteed success with the subsequent hits to worsen the penalties and take the enemy out of the fight.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 06:49 PM
Your CMB will probably cap out (assuming you get up to 28 STR) around:
20 BAB + 2 Imp. Dirty Trick + 2 Greater DT + 2 Maneuver Training + 9 STR + 5 (weapon enhancement bonus) = 40, so you'll have about a 50/50 chance (potentially much more if you have buffs and bonuses from Mutation Warrior up). If you swap a couple feats for Weapon Focus / Greater Weapon Focus you can keep that permanently weighted your way. That should hold true pretty much throughout your career. The nice thing is, as soon as you land a debuff like blinded or entangled (or both!), the enemy will take a big hit to their CMD as well (blinded + entangled = -4 to the target's CMD, -6 if you've got DTM and can upgrade Entangled to Pinned, more if they would still have a DEX bonus since that will be denied), so you go from a 50-60% chance of success to guaranteed success with the subsequent hits to worsen the penalties and take the enemy out of the fight.

The way my GM responded to me when I mentioned the book said it might not be possible, I'm probably going to go without the mutation warrior, unless my GM says otherwise.
A question on the dirty fighter archetype, is, can it be used on half-orcs? The Archetype is specific to Orcs.

Ssalarn
2015-01-12, 06:51 PM
The way my GM responded to me when I mentioned the book said it might not be possible, I'm probably going to go without the mutation warrior, unless my GM says otherwise.
A question on the dirty fighter archetype, is, can it be used on half-orcs? The Archetype is specific to Orcs.

Half-orcs count as orcs (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qf9) and can take the Dirty Fighter archetype.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 07:11 PM
Half-orcs count as orcs (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qf9) and can take the Dirty Fighter archetype.

Alright, then I'll build the dirty fighter archetype, but I'll set aside the mutation warrior for temporary reasons.

As for Alternate Racial traits, wouldn't Chain Fighter be a better option over City-Raised?

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 09:16 PM
If I can't go mutation, I'll stick with fullplate, but would it be a good idea to go with breastplate if I manage to get the Mutation Warrior archetype ontop of the dirty fighter archetype?

5w337x7007h
2015-01-12, 11:22 PM
Alright, after a bit of debate in my not-so-stable head, I want to go with Damage. Whether it be through criticals, AoO or whatever. I want to make people hurt. I'm a Janitor, not a dirty fighter, just a janitor on vacation who happens to like hunting big game along with janitorial duties.

So far everyone has been pulling me into combat maneuvers, but I've decided against it. I want to hurt bad guys with big amounts of damage for getting in my threat range. So I'm going with a Bloodrager build. I'm happy people pointed that out to me.

arkangel111
2015-01-13, 04:39 AM
Pick tribal scars over toughness. I picked it in my PFS group and now its pretty much a staple feat for any melee character. Also don't worry about steelblooded, you will eventually grab mithral moving your heavy armor to medium anyways, before then the +5 ft move from tribal scars makes the hvy armor manageable and after you get mithral you'll have +15ft to movement. I would grab at least one level of skald for sharing rage, with your familiar to nab amplified rage for an additional +4str/con at least a few rounds/day (at level 6 thats 24 bonus hit points while raging and +6 hit/dmg with a 2h). since you're going bloodrager either way, i recommend abberant bloodline and then pick up tumor familiar with the valet archetype if you dipped skald. Even without skald after 4 levels you'll gain reach +5. I made mine a primary paladin but honestly as a primary barbarianish character you'd likely be better off with more levels in a rage granting class. I also recommend the Furious guardian prestige class, levels stack with rage granting classes (skald doesn't count due to it counting as a bard) but it gives you a few nice options that can help your teammates.

To be honest your casting is kinda lame anyways so I would use your spell slots and such to make it so you don't need UMD and then just prebuff from some wands. A 12 charge wand of a level 2 spell (bull's str, and enlarge person are two good spells) cost just over 1k ea. and will likely last you a few levels since they are both minute's/ level, save your actual slot's for rnd's/level buffs.

I am running a RotRL campaign now and I would definitely not worry about the combat maneuver's, creatures vastly outpace character's. pick up a wand of CLW, skald let's you not even bother with the UMD, though fiendish healing gives you more if you don't mind the taint and can spare the downtime (my paladin refuses it). As the DM I would caution you against dumping intelligence and charisma, one whole module is practically nothing but social encounter's, with that said you don't need either too high. So far my group is walking all over the monster's even when I buff them, and they only have 3 people and no caster's and only one of them is even decently optimized though the other's are learning more every day. I'm telling you this because getting advice from this website is likely to destroy your campaign unless your DM is also a frequent visitor.

Oh, lastly for traits I would probably pick the trait that gives extra damage while raging, sorry the name eludes me. after that I'd grab finding Haleen if it's allowed, probably the best trait printed if not I'd consider one of the many +2 initiative traits or even armored of the society if you plan to tank. If you really wanna grab an exotic weapon a cracked opalescant white ioun stone is 1500 and gives you familiarity, which means you treat it as martial. No need to waste a feat on any exotic weapon ever again. pick up a wayfinder for 500 and you'll also grab weapon focus. best 2k ever, even if you don't use it for an exotic weapon. In lieu of pounce pick up several quick runner's shirt's for 1k ea. and just swap out when you have used them.

For reference, its not up to date, seeing as how I couldn't bear to give up real smite but the core is here.
Half-Orc Rageadin
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379305-Society-Rageadin

Oddman80
2015-01-13, 09:45 AM

well - SHAKATAR (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1085086) is the Dirty Trick specialist i had made. He has a +48 to Dirty Trick rolls... now, he is level 12... but how early are you going to be bumping into the 50+ CMD foes? Specialized builds need to realize they don't always get to do their thing. its good to have a back up plan. also - if you have any casters that can start to debuff these brutes a little - you can come in with a dirty trick to even further destroy their defenses.

The Grue
2015-01-13, 11:23 AM
I need some serious help with this build, I'm starting to over think it and I'm losing sleep. Can someone please help me.

My advice would be to calm down and take a step back. An RPG character build is not something to be losing sleep over.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-13, 12:31 PM
My advice would be to calm down and take a step back. An RPG character build is not something to be losing sleep over.

Agreed. I got some sleep and I'm going to go with an Invulnerable Rager build that I've wanted to do for a while. It's that or I'll go with a Generic Fighter and make it a Shoanti TWF. Earthbreaker and Klar all the way!!

Which sounds better for a plot hook where the character is hunting their Orc father during their downtime from a janitorial job in a dungeon?