PDA

View Full Version : A late Winters meeting in the south

BelGareth
2015-01-12, 01:15 AM
[Several months before new years]

Oeric stepped off his ship with pleasure, the journey had lasted to long for his liking, and he was a land man, not a sea swab, and he preferred his feet to be attached to a non-shaking or bobbing surface.

Sailors amused him, and he saw no desire to that lifestyle whatsoever, he was glad his father hadn't sent him to the Iron islands, that would have turned out a terrible combination, but he knew better than most, that his father wouldn't even consider it.

He was surprised to be on this mission as it was, usually his sister, or even another person was sent for meetings such as these, and from time to time, his own father, albeit, in the rarest of occasions. He was not the standard diplomatic message one wanted to send when lobbying for an alliance. A giant of a man, nicknamed the Bulwark, he was an interesting pick.

But one he thought, his father had picked well. And he had his own surprises.

Carrying his immense battleaxe, not because he thought he would receive any trouble, but more out of habit, and the fact that it was his own weapon, he stepped off the ship, and mounted his warhorse, waiting for his entourage to do the same. His squires were with him, along with a unit of men-at-arms, some of his friends, and other tag-alongs.

The journey to Oldtown had been long, and he was happy to be on solid ground, so he made the way from the dock to the keep slowly, savoring the air that was so distinctly different than that of the sea, or the Banefort, of which he was used to.

Once he reached the castle, he moved towards the gate and declared himself, even though, the Banefort colors had been visible on the coast for several days.

"Hail," he said to the guardsmen "I am Oegric Banefort, I have come to entreat with your Lord." he said simply, not really caring for platitudes or social graces with the gate guardsmen.

Dunkoro
2015-01-12, 04:43 AM
I'm sorry for my writing; II'ma terrible narrator. Exactly why I never GM any RPGs myself.

While the crowd itself was visibly impressed by thethe foreign and apparently powerful lord, the guard itself wasn't showing anything whatsoever. Actually, in voice of the servant that responded to you one could clearly hear irritation at the fact that the newcomer didn't even bother to learn who was the actual ruler of The Reach.

LADY Ria is expecting you, lord Banefort. Please follow me.

When following the man you have an opportunity to witness the castle halls that were clearly designed not with appearance but utility in mind. It's not that the walls are bare or that there are no ornaments, quite the opposite. But all of them are clearly designed not to disturb the flow of people and that every single piece of furniture or art in place was designed from the start to fit precisely into the place it occupies.

As the doors at the end of the entrance hall opened you noticed a similar utilitarian theme; instead of sitting in an uncomfortable throne at the height of stairs, the Lady chose a much simpler approach that didn't necessarily force incomers into a humbling position looking up at her; she simply sits behind a desk as if this was a simple office.

Of course the desk and the chairs everything but simple; all of them adorned with intricate designs displaying the Mountrys' symbol. As you bring your eyes up you have a moment to observe Lady Ria herself:

The first thing you notice are her eyes; despite her clearly young age her eyes display a lifetime of wisdom; these are the eyes of someone who had encountered everything life had to offer. She's really attractive, but not in a feminine way. She seems exceptionally strong for a woman and not only phisically, apparently a life of filling roles traditionally reserved for men and men alone taught her how to be an equal amongst them while still retaining her own identity.

To your amazement, she doesn't sit in place waiting for you to approach her. Instead she has risen up and invited you to sit opposite of her with a gesture of her hand.

Welcome in The Reach lord Banefort. Before we get to the surely important business with which you have arrived, may I propose you join me for dinner? It's going to be ready any minute now. Of course an appropriate accommodation for your men will also be provided for.

You don't really see how that's possible, but her voivoice is both very subltle and delicate while still being firm and strong.

BelGareth
2015-01-12, 11:39 AM
Oeric grinned to himself when the guard got a rise from his initial comment, oh how easy it was to manipulate the small folk. he thought has he was led inside the castle to meet Lady Mountry.

He marveled at the spartan furnishings, things he could appreciate, great depth of foreknowledge and preparation were needed for such a thing, and the concept, and idea that the westerland's could ally with someone as thorough as this made him more than happy.

He continued, allowing his men to trickle off as they were needed to, being sent to visitor quarters, taken to be cleaned and fed, and anything else his host deemed necessary to entreat them with. He allowed it all, he was in no place to restrict them, and even he did, he felt no danger here.

And so he was treated to meet Lady Ria alone, as he moved through the doorway, he could see she was an attractive women, something he couldn't quite put his finger on, a subtle power, and strength that was both exhilarating and seductive. He would have to keep his wits about him as they talked, else his father would have his head on a pike.

He bows to her as he enters and smiles a winning smile, while a larger man, he was an extremely fit man, and not bad looking himself, his 6'4 frame towered over most, so he was used to men and women looking up to him, craning the neck. "A most pleasant meeting Lady Ria, I would be glad to join you for dinner, I am famished from the journey here, the sea is bountiful, but one gets tired of stale bread, fish and rum. And if it would please you, Ser Oeric is fine, Lord Banefort is up north, a much different man, and a little older than I." he says with a nod of the head, in a respectful manner. You would be almost taken back by his speech, as he looks the part of the hulking brute, but if it were not for that fact that Lord Banefort had sent him, and anything else would be an insult, it comes out as a warm reminder, of just how serious the Hooded king considers this meeting.

No worries, you're doing fine!

And I think they might be quite similar in age.
Also, you might want to make your sheets private, i clicked on one just out of curiosity (mostly to see if the ages were similar)

Oeric is 20, so only a year older than her.

Dunkoro
2015-01-12, 06:45 PM
That is really good to hear indeed. Oh, it appears the dinner is ready. If you would follow me...

She then gestures at you and heads out of the room through a side door, besides which there is a dining hall, suited for small, private meals instead of any larger feasts. The food is plentiful and pretty varied, containing everything the Reach has to offer.

After you both finish your main courses she proposes some wine to rinse sore throats and has the servants bring one that was definitely way older than either of you. She then risen her glass in toast;
May all people in Seven Kingdoms flourish!, instead of the more traditional; 'Long live the King'.

So, lord Banefort, what brings you here into out humble abode? It is surely no fickle thing that led you to travel all this way.

BelGareth
2015-01-15, 03:11 PM
Oeric graciously accepts the proffered private table, and sits after his host has done so, refusing to do so otherwise with a rueful grin.

He eats politely, not taking too much, but showing his genuine like for foods he enjoys, and keeping the topics light.

He smiles again as she raises a toast, and joins in, chiming with his own "May all people in Seven Kingdoms flourish!".

He winces slightly as she says Lord, but not so much as to bring attention to himself.

She still calls me Lord? Maybe she is doing it out of respect, perhaps formalities are stringent here, and I should be on my best behavior, or maybe she is testing me, to see how I react to her... he thought to himself as she spoke.

When she is done, he nods in response "Indeed my Lady, my Father has sent me here as an envoy in hopes of our two nations forging an alliance, one that is more than the dalliance that most keep to, where they merely accept their neighbors, we believe the Westerlands and the Reach have a lot to offer each other."

Dunkoro
2015-01-15, 04:02 PM
And by a lot to offer what exactly do you mean? It's not like we lack in any particular stock and trade is flourishing anyway. Militarily I don't foresee any threat to the Reach anytime soon. What does your father really wish to achieve?

BelGareth
2015-01-15, 04:33 PM
Oeric tilts his head at the women's response.

He frowns slightly, trying to gauge the deeper meaning in the statement.

"You are so confident in your military might? I am not saying the reach is not formidable, because you are, but what if you have more than one enemy, more than one front to face towards, what then? Do you have the strength to battle seen and hidden enemies all at once, to take care of your own without help?"

Oeric shrugs as if the questions were not actually aimed toward Lady Ria "I'm not sure the Westerlands can claim the same, we have several alliances in the workings, and are constantly trying to leverage support for our causes, be it taxes, troop levies, needless tourneys, or what have you. You can never have to many friends, and never enough knowledge. Never."

Frowning he stands "We offer you everything you have already, you are strong, but together, we can both be stronger, smarter, and better informed, our natural borders are conducive to our bond, and we merely wish to extend our strength, as well as your own in these trouble times...maybe..." he turns to her "maybe my father was wrong, maybe you do need or want such a thing?"

Dunkoro
2015-01-16, 06:09 AM
It's not that I didn't want nor need any allies, it's that I simply wanted to see how convinced you were that this was something both our realms would need.
That said, I am quite alone amongst the realms and would gladly accept Westerlands as an ally and Baneforts as a friend.
How would we go about solidifying such an alliance? Do you have the power to make any specific decisions regarding aforementioned friendship? Or would it necessitate me meeting with your father at some point in the future?
And seeing the clouds converging above the kingdoms, rather sooner than later...

BelGareth
2015-01-16, 11:34 AM
Oeric nods in silent agreement. His heavy frame making it look slightly strange, as if this giant of a man was also a great philosopher as well.

"Not at all my Lady, I am capable of making any and all arrangements, the price and benefit of being a Banefort" he says splaying his hands out, almost as if he was apologizing. "There are several ways we could solidify this alliance, although, if my father would have his way, our two nations openly showing defiance against each other would suit his needs, showing everyone we have a solid front will, and can, push others to make hasty alliances, and actions they may have had in reserve. But if we keep a show if disharmony, almost war between us, as a ruse, our opponents, whomever they are, known or not, will be at ease."

he waves his hand "but such schemes are wantonly avoided by some, and rightly so, they are complicated and not for everyone. We could trade wards, unfortunately, neither Banefort or Casterly have any wards right now, but some of our other Vassals, strong ancient houses, have many, or even a marriage, a blood bond between nations is quite formidable, and with the boltons sowing their seeds wantonly throughout the north and the capitol...that may be the best option."

Dunkoro
2015-01-16, 11:43 AM
I think we can both pretty safely assume that the Boltons along with the Targeryens are the main reason that this alliance has any need to exist...
Forgive me for saying such things, for it is not a courtly thing, but I believe that the reign of the Targeryens is coming to an end. They are simply not the people that they once were; strong, wise and powerful. Now these that decide all of our fates are drunkards and madmen who got drunk on power and luxury.
I just want to get clear, that this is also, at least partially, opinion of the Westerlands, because if it is not, they we find ourselves at odds instead. I would very much not like that.

BelGareth
2015-01-16, 12:04 PM
Oeric nods as the Lady Ria speaks, a slow and small smile spreads across his face as he does.

"Indeed, my lady, what sits on the throne is indeed, not worthy of the title, or at least, ruling our nations. The Baneforts are maneuvering, and have been for years, to survive the oncoming storm. I think we are like minded in this regards"

Dunkoro
2015-01-16, 01:40 PM
So, since we are likely-minded in this most important case, we better get down to business, right?
I too think that hiding the alliance might make our rivals more confident and potential friends more likely to flock towards them I say we should provide a unified front.
As to the exact way of solidifying the alliance, I agree that royal marriage would be for our mutual benefit; not only will it make for a clear signal of our bond it will also make it easier for common folk to accept these 'foreign people'.
Now, for who exactly should be married to who is an open question. Both myself and both of my brothers are unmarried as of yet, but while I believe Endar would be unwilling to accept a marriage of state, searching for 'true love' and somesuch nonsense, Kard could be persuaded. But then, it all depends on who would be the representative of your family on that front?

BelGareth
2015-01-16, 02:30 PM
"Well, my sister, is the Heir apparent, and I'm not sure she is open to marriage at this time, to many other things to do, but if Father commands it, and it is pivot to the alliance she will have no choice.

Other than that, we only have myself and out of my nephews, only Caellin is available, as Egric is joining the Kingsguard at the new years."

Dunkoro
2015-01-16, 03:09 PM
Ria, clearly amused at the thought that other realms begin to also recognize skill of women, smiled faintly before responding.

Well, until I have any children, Endar is current heir to the Reach, but I believe Kard would still be important enough marriage partner. It's just not worth it to force Endar to do anything against his will; he will never be happy that way and his wife to be would also suffer as a result. As such, I propose that Kard would marry your sister. Lady Elinor, was it?

BelGareth
2015-01-16, 03:22 PM
Oeric nodded, "Aye, Lady Elinor is correct, I only have one stipulation however, Lord Kard will need to travel to the Banefort and live there with us, Elinor will not travel to her husbands holding and be the good wife, she is....of a different mold, much like yourself my lady, and marriage is not going to change her current heirship. If you wish, we can arrange to have a ward come here to show good faith, I think my brother Caellin, or even myself might like it here." he says, the last part with a small smile.

I should have made more female NPC daughters....oy vay

Dunkoro
2015-01-16, 03:25 PM
While I personally don't think you really have any ill thoughts towards us, a ward that would come to live in the Reach might go a long way towards convincing some that might say otherwise. So, how do you like the Reach, would you like it here? She says bursting with a cheerful laughter.

BelGareth
2015-01-16, 05:45 PM
Oeric shows off a great big genuine smile and chuckles as well, "Aye, I think I will like it here, I will volunteer, mayhaps, that way I will avoid the wrath of my sister when she finds out" he says, chuckling "I will send out riders at once, so we can solidify this new alliance between our two great nations."

Dunkoro
2015-01-16, 05:50 PM
If you want to avoid the wrath of your sister that badly, maybe you'll stay here right now? I believe everything could be arranged for you and your guard effectively immediately. Then we could deal with all the boring specific stuff of the treaty. And then, who knows, maybe I'll find a few whiles to show you the Reach itself? And then you can't believe what you're witnessing... she... giggled

I believe we could leave this at that, don't you think? Unless you'd want further interaction between the characters?

BelGareth
2015-01-16, 06:51 PM
I'm fine with that, you just effectively got the service of a pretty good warrior. I'll throw a pm to your, whenever something Kard is involved with something, mostly when Elinor is, if you can do the same, I would like to make Oeric a part of your crew/family as much as possible, as long as you are comfortable (you can of course leave me out of secret meetings and such, depending on your level of trust and so forth)

Alos, sent Drack a PM about having to pay for a blood alliance or not.

Dunkoro
2015-01-16, 06:53 PM
I paid for 2 blood alliances upfront, just in case :smallbiggrin:

drack
2015-01-16, 07:05 PM
OOC

Drack,

Do we need to spend the money for a blood alliance per the outcome of this thread?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?392492-A-late-Winters-meeting-in-the-south

-Bel
Indeed, you must also fluff/RP the wedding and choose guests if you so choose to pay it out of income rather then starting funds.

Anywho, I've been keeping up with the thread. I saw mention of servants being waved over before suggesting their close proximity, and treasonous talk... Any particular reason the king (and potentially others) should not have heard of this? :smalltongue:

Dunkoro
2015-01-16, 07:08 PM
OOC

Anywho, I've been keeping up with the thread. I saw mention of servants being waved over before suggesting their close proximity, and treasonous talk... Any particular reason the king (and potentially others) should not have heard of this? :smalltongue:

Because Ria would not be stupid enough to have treasonous servants serving when discussing important matters? And none were present after serving wine?

drack
2015-01-16, 07:22 PM
OOC

Yup, just a friendly reminder for now. After all, the ones you don't think are treacherous are the last you want to trust. :smallwink:

"Devil's in the details" and all that.