PDA

View Full Version : Cleric into godhood help 3.5

cogminded
2015-01-12, 04:36 AM
Good morning/afternoon/evening/night/other (please specify) esteemed giants

I'll be playing in a mid to high op game with a heavy dragons theme soon (dragons in d&d? Shock) and the rest of the party is hugely more experienced players than me. Given that I'm relatively new to the game, having only played a few sessions in the past I've done a bit of looking around and read up and would like to play a cleric.

The world is dominated by dragons, with a war waging between the good and evil dragons for millennia led by Tiamat and Bahamut as they struggle for control of plot throne of doom which can only be controlled by a dragon. Other gods exist as much more minor religions in the background worshipped by the other races who are slaves to the dragons.

My plan for the character is that he is a LE cleric with a plan to both seize the throne and attain godhood, in that order preferably but I'm open to suggestions.

My plan will need me to be both a master diplomat, have the favour of a god and be able to deal a high amount of damage. This led to me choosing cleric

Since I will also need to be a dragon, dragonwrought kobold came to mind.

My problem is... Well the rest of the build. I'm not an experienced player and whilst I have read through some of the cleric handbooks, I'm still struggling to know exactly what to do with it.

So... Dragonwrought kobold cleric. Help???

Edit: i should mention that night stick abuse is a no and that cloistered cleric is not for melee focused characters (he's ruled that the rp doesn't work, which is fair) but that i have absolute and total splat. Any and all official sources are allowed

WeaselGuy
2015-01-12, 04:57 AM
Good morning/afternoon/evening/night/other (please specify) esteemed giants

I'll be playing in a mid to high op game with a heavy dragons theme soon (dragons in d&d? Shock) and the rest of the party is hugely more experienced players than me. Given that I'm relatively new to the game, having only played a few sessions in the past I've done a bit of looking around and read up and would like to play a cleric.

The world is dominated by dragons, with a war waging between the good and evil dragons for millennia led by Tiamat and Bahamut as they struggle for control of plot throne of doom which can only be controlled by a dragon. Other gods exist as much more minor religions in the background worshipped by the other races who are slaves to the dragons.

My plan for the character is that he is a LE cleric with a plan to both seize the throne and attain godhood, in that order preferably but I'm open to suggestions.

My plan will need me to be both a master diplomat, have the favour of a god and be able to deal a high amount of damage. This led to me choosing cleric

Since I will also need to be a dragon, dragonwrought kobold came to mind.

My problem is... Well the rest of the build. I'm not an experienced player and whilst I have read through some of the cleric handbooks, I'm still struggling to know exactly what to do with it.

So... Dragonwrought kobold cleric. Help???

Edit: i should mention that night stick abuse is a no and that cloistered cleric is not for melee focused characters (he's ruled that the rp doesn't work, which is fair) but that i have absolute and total splat. Any and all official sources are allowed

Well, if you want to do melee, you should definitely look into Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell. I see that you can't abuse nightsticks, but can you use one? If so, pick Planning as one of your Domains, netting you Extend Spell as a bonus feat, then, since you want to be a dragonwrought kobold, you need to take dragonwrought as your level 1 feat. If you can use flaws, take shaky and pick up Persist Spell as your other level 1 feat. If you can take a second flaw, pick Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell as your final level 1 feat, otherwise push it to level 3. At either 3 or 6, depending on flaw usage, take extra turning. Buy a nightstick asap. Let's assume you manage an 18 in charisma (because honestly, if you're going to be a dragonwrought kobold, you're going to start as venerable, netting you a +3 to charisma, wisdom and intelligence, so you only need to start with a 15), you should be sitting on 12 turn checks. Invest in a Reliquary Holy Symbol, giving you 2 more turn checks, for a total 14, and now you can persist 2 spells per day. Divine Power and Righteous Wrath are what you're shooting for. Congrats, now you can fight better than a fighter, and you still have spells to work with. I'll get more for you soon, have to go back to work.

cogminded
2015-01-12, 06:46 AM
Thank you for that, it definitely gives me a starting point for ideas

Melee is definitely what I am thinking, since iirc the strength devotion feat gives natural attacks (like the dragonwrought kobold gets) some rather nice boosts.

I think that night sticks are out as a blanket rule, but I'll check with him later. No flaws available sadly, which puts things back a step :(

I do like planning domain though, I have been looking at competition as well to get both the divine power and might spells for SUPER SMASHING POWAARRR

Rebel7284
2015-01-12, 07:17 AM
The issue with Strength Devotion is that it takes a swift action and is only 1/day unless you spend your precious turning attempts. If you want a natural attack, Hunger Domain just gives you a bite attack.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-12, 07:24 AM
Well, without flaws, yeah, it puts you back a smidge.
1 - Dragonwrought
1B - Planning Domain - Extend Spell
3 - Persist Spell
6 - DMM: Persist Spell
9 - Extra Turning

If you can't use a nightstick at all, well, that seriously limits you, and pretty much forces you to put an 18 into charisma to start with, put your bonus points by level into charisma, and by a cloak of charisma asap. This is feasible, but what you're going to want to do is something like this:

32PB: 8, 10, 12, 12, 14, 18

Str - 8 (12 - 4 racial)
Dex - 12 (10 + 2 racial)
Con - 10 (12 - 2 racial)
Int - 11 (8 + 3 from venerable)
Wis - 17 (14 + 3 from venerable)
Cha - 21 (18 + 3 from venerable)

At 4, 8 and 12, bonus points into Cha, bringing you up to 24. At 16 and 20, points into Wis. bringing it up to 19, allowing 9th level spells without relying on items.

Cloak of Charisma +2 is 4k gp, bringing your Cha up to 26 (8 turn attempts). Extra Turning adds 4 to that, giving you 12, and the Reliquary Holy Symbol gives you another 2, bringing it up to 14, giving you the same 2 persisted spells.

These are the 2 spells you're persisting, btw:
[Quote=SRD]Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks), you gain a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, and you gain 1 temporary hit point per caster level.
[Quote=SRD]This spell causes you to grow, doubling your height and multiplying your weight by 8. This increase changes your size category to the next larger one, and you gain a +4 size bonus to Strength and a +2 size bonus to Constitution. You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to your natural armor. You gain damage reduction 3/evil (if you normally channel positive energy) or damage reduction 3/good (if you normally channel negative energy). At 12th level this damage reduction becomes 6/evil or 6/good, and at 15th level it becomes 9/evil or 9/good (the maximum). Your size modifier for AC and attacks changes as appropriate to your new size category. This spell doesn’t change your speed. Determine space and reach as appropriate to your new size.

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If you fail, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you— the spell cannot crush you by increasing your size.

All equipment you wear or carry is similarly enlarged by the spell. Melee and projectile weapons deal more damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any enlarged item that leaves your possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them).

Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.

These spells at least put your strength into the positive, and negate the need for Weapon Finesse, allowing you to use the wonderful Morningstar (2 Handed, by the way, for strength and a half to damage; by the way, take Power Attack at 12).

edit: btw, the Myth-Weavers sheet in my sig, Lord Takistos, is a DMM:P Beatstick Cleric that I'm playing like a Paladin in a PbP campaign ran by one of my table-members back in the states. If you needed any inspiration :D I went with a Lesser Aasimar and some DCFS cheese to get Celestial Heritage and Outsider Wings, but your results may vary.

cogminded
2015-01-12, 07:27 AM
I might be wrong (don't have the books with me) but I thought that dragonwrought kobold got two claw attacks and a bite automatically, are you allowed two bite attacks?

Kobold of doom eating his way through his enemies omnomnom

WeaselGuy
2015-01-12, 07:36 AM
I might be wrong (don't have the books with me) but I thought that dragonwrought kobold got two claw attacks and a bite automatically, are you allowed two bite attacks?

Kobold of doom eating his way through his enemies omnomnom

Kobold, via SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kobold.htm)

of pertinence to this: he doesn't appear to have a Bite attack, but I think you might be right with dragonwrought giving him bite and claw. I could be wrong too though, also afb.

Taveena
2015-01-12, 08:51 AM
Bite and Claw attacks are both given to ALL kobolds, Dragonwrought and non, in the Kobold web enhancement, along with Slight Build and some other goodies.

Ruethgar
2015-01-12, 10:23 AM
If DWK cheese is vetoed, the ten MMI Dragons have LA +0 versions that are crappy, but would free up a feat at first and still qualify you as a dragon. You could also take White Dragonspawn for LA +1 from 2nd party. Or the Draconic class which can be bought off with the very levels you take in it(after 1000xp you are class level 3 and one of those is an LA you can buyoff). Also note that the draconic class does not have the template limitations on who can take it, so you can be a half dragon dragon.

cogminded
2015-01-12, 04:00 PM
Good news is, dm has agreed to letting me use nightsticks =D