PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Paladin Mount "Command" Ability - has anyone ever used this?

Psyren
2015-01-12, 09:05 AM
As the thread title - I never even noticed Paladin mounts had this ability, i.e. to Command (as the spell, not just speak to) others of their kind. Has anyone ever had their mount use this? I never see it in D&D-related fiction, and Pathfinder appeared to quietly drop it from the Paladin mount's repertoire so they at least appeared to think it wasn't used much.

For reference, here is the ability:

Command (Sp)

Once per day per two paladin levels of its master, a mount can use this ability to command other any normal animal of approximately the same kind as itself (for warhorses and warponies, this category includes donkeys, mules, and ponies), as long as the target creature has fewer Hit Dice than the mount. This ability functions like the command spell, but the mount must make a DC 21 Concentration check to succeed if it’s being ridden at the time. If the check fails, the ability does not work that time, but it still counts against the mount’s daily uses. Each target may attempt a Will save (DC 10 + ½ paladin’s level + paladin’s Cha modifier) to negate the effect.

And for further reference, Command lets them make their fellow beasts do the following:

You give the subject a single command, which it obeys to the best of its ability at its earliest opportunity. You may select from the following options.

Approach
On its turn, the subject moves toward you as quickly and directly as possible for 1 round. The creature may do nothing but move during its turn, and it provokes attacks of opportunity for this movement as normal.

Drop
On its turn, the subject drops whatever it is holding. It can’t pick up any dropped item until its next turn.

Fall
On its turn, the subject falls to the ground and remains prone for 1 round. It may act normally while prone but takes any appropriate penalties.

Flee
On its turn, the subject moves away from you as quickly as possible for 1 round. It may do nothing but move during its turn, and it provokes attacks of opportunity for this movement as normal.

Halt
The subject stands in place for 1 round. It may not take any actions but is not considered helpless.

If the subject can’t carry out your command on its next turn, the spell automatically fails.

Has anyone pulled off anything interesting with this? Did anyone even remember it existed? Can it be optimized, and if so, to do what?

Der_DWSage
2015-01-12, 09:44 AM
Can't say I knew it existed. Still, as neat as it is, it seems like an incredibly niche thing. I suppose you could get other mounts to Drop their riders, or if you have a more esoteric mount, you might get the occasional dangerous beastie to come close to you for a full attack...

I think the only way you could really optimize it would be to ensure that your mount is of the same type that you commonly encounter. If you're in a Goblin-heavy campaign, you might get a riding dog so you could command Wargs. A Dragon-heavy campaign would encourage you to seek out a Wyvern as a mount, somehow or other. Undead and Outsider-themed campaigns would be tricker. And you could always just call the Wizard your mount in order to Command other T1 classes.

Unless...you might get away with a slightly torturous reading of RAW. Find a way to Polymorph your mount into anything you're fighting with a relatively low Will save. They count as being the 'Same Type' as that opponent, temporarily.

Chronos
2015-01-12, 09:46 AM
It'd be incredibly useful if you ever got into a jousting contest. Could probably also be pretty handy in any fighting-an-army scenario.

dysprosium
2015-01-12, 10:25 AM
I've never used it nor seen it used.

I think for part of the problem is that that ability doesn't come online until Paladin 11.

ericgrau
2015-01-12, 10:32 AM
That is a bugger. At level 11 the only others who still use horses are others with special mounts. Mainly paladins. And they aren't your enemies. Most other classes have moved on to different mounts or have many other different companion options so a horse would be a bit of a coincidence.

It's 5+/day and doesn't make a sound, so maybe you could wreak havoc in... low level enemy stables. Yay?

Psyren
2015-01-12, 10:44 AM
Yeah, 11 is really late for so niche an effect.

I'm not sure "drop your rider" would really work - they aren't really "holding" the rider (are they?) If they are you might be subject to all kinds of other effects like Disarm or Grease.

One use I could see, if only this came online earlier, would be to force a mounted enemy archer to come within melee range, and watch in amusement as he frantically flails at the reins. Fall and Halt could be used to get a mounted warrior to stand down or relinquish his mount.

Unless...you might get away with a slightly torturous reading of RAW. Find a way to Polymorph your mount into anything you're fighting with a relatively low Will save. They count as being the 'Same Type' as that opponent, temporarily.

Does Polymorph change your type in 3.5? Because that could indeed be a way to keep it relevant vs. exotic mounts, since the DC scales.

Though it still does say "normal animal" sadly, kind or not.

That is a bugger. At level 11 the only others who still use horses are others with special mounts. Mainly paladins. And they aren't your enemies. Most other classes have moved on to different mounts or have many other different companion options so a horse would be a bit of a coincidence.

It's 5+/day and doesn't make a sound, so maybe you could wreak havoc in... low level enemy stables. Yay?

"Be free, my brothers! Carry not your human slavemasters! Run and frolick in the tall grass while we assault the kee- I mean, have a picnic!"

Snowbluff
2015-01-12, 10:58 AM
I've never used it. How is this better than just killing the target if it's a normal horse? Who even rides normal horses into combat? Not to mention that all of the good mounts aren't available as special mounts. Maybe if you can get to work on an ubermount build, so all of the same dragon/whatever can be commanded.

EDIT: Nope, not even that would work, since it specifies animal.

ericgrau
2015-01-12, 12:09 PM
"Be free, my brothers! Carry not your human slavemasters! Run and frolick in the tall grass while we assault the kee- I mean, have a picnic!"
Lol.

I like how ludicrously strong it is for a minion ability. Same DC as spells from a full caster if you pumped your cha. And the only legal target is ordinary animals who usually have suck for saves. Actually it doesn't even work on other mounts or companions, because those become magical beasts. "Flee pitiful beast who is no threat to us! You have no chance to make your save!"

Psyren
2015-01-12, 12:17 PM
Lol.

I like how ludicrously strong it is for a minion ability. Same DC as spells from a full caster if you pumped your cha. And the only legal target is ordinary animals who usually have suck for saves. Actually it doesn't even work on other mounts or companions, because those become magical beasts. "Flee pitiful beast who is no threat to us! You have no chance to make your save!"

Druid/ranger animal companion is still an animal isn't it? If Aragorn picks horse this is a great way to grief him. "Stupid animal! Why won't you move?? Guys wait up!"

Chronos
2015-01-12, 12:38 PM
Ugh, I hadn't noticed that it's only once per day per two paladin levels-- That seriously limits it. It could be worthwhile against an army to order every one of the cavalry to flee, even if it's only once per round (good for sowing chaos in the enemy ranks, if nothing else). But doing it five times, total? Yeah, that's not going to amount to anything.

Basically, the creatures that this works on are so weak that they're only relevant in large numbers, and the ability doesn't work on large numbers.