View Full Version : DM Help the vice boss

kaffalidjmah
2015-01-12, 09:54 AM
hi fellow DM!
i have an interesting question, the final boss of my campaign will be probably a huge dragon-mage or other stuff, but is not the point. the point is, the vice-boss. the one that the party will meet every important quest (or sub-quest). i want him to be a changeling factotum/chamaleon/cabinet trickster.

for those unfamiliar, the changeling is a race introducted in the eberron campaign setting, that can change her face and body shape to everything of mid sized. from races of eberron handbook

Changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as though using a disguise self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions. This ability is not an illusory effect but a minor physical alteration of a changeling’s facial features, skin color and texture, and size, within the limits described for the spell. A changeling can use this ability at will, and the alteration lasts until he changes shape again. A changeling reverts to his natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals his natural form. When using this ability to create a disguise, a changeling receives a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.
Using this ability is a full-round action.

the factotum is the ultimate jack of all trades base class, you can found it in dungeonscape handbook. he can do a lot of stuff, just find it and read what it does, is too long to write it all.

the chameleon is the ultimate jack of all trades prestige classe, allow you tho switch from one focus for another (there are martial focus, wild focus, arcane focus etc...). if the factotum can adapt on the fly to any situation, the chameleon can adapt on a more long-term situation (is kinda of daily focus). information about the chameleon can be found in the races of destiny handbook

the cabinet trickster is a 5 level prestige class that grant to the changeling (specifically) the legacy of their parents, the doppleganger, whit an at-will though detection and some thought trick...like, you are reading his mind? you can stun him as swift action (will negate) or confuse, or force to make a concentration check for caster, stuff like that. i like very much this prestige, you can find it in the races of eberron handbook.

after this presentation, a brief explanation of how it will work in the campaign. first time, they find him allied with a local evil wizard to create a powerful magic item for his master. hopefully, PC will defeate him forcing him to flee. the second time (in a "random" manner) the PC will find a bunch of ogre-ish tribe that are starting coalization for simply mass-murder some village. again, the changeling will be behind everything. the third time i have to set up the meeting event and the story/quest/major encounter, but this time the changeling, when he will see the pc, he will yell "AGAIN!!?!?!?!" and the PC will understand...nothing. every time the changeling will display different set of ability, different aspect, so every time they will imagine that the first or the second boss are different, and not the same character. what do you think about this?

now, the serious problem.

how i build him? i got 2 obligatory feats (namely, able learner and persona immersion) for the 2 pretige, and i have 2 bonus feat relevant for the changeling minor shape change.

the chameleon also give me a "mutable" feat, once per day, but i think i will consider it on the situation...if is mimicking a berseker than power attack is ok, for example.

some help? i like too much the concept but i don't how to prepare him. i know is lesser then optimizated, but i want it for the flavor

kaffalidjmah
2015-01-12, 08:07 PM
Is just me or is difficult to create a build? Am i missing something? Seriously, i am missing something?

I passed two days two days thinking what are the best feat for stuff like that and i come up with nothing.

Nothing. I searche all the material, all the handbook and i can't find feat with enough verstality. Seriously, i need help from everyone.

Thank you for everyone that can help. I don't mind if is a stupid idea (the villain concept is stupid, is not even a solid build) but every idea will help

Blackhawk748
2015-01-12, 08:34 PM
Jack of all Trades is a decent option, otherwise Imp Unarmed Strike with Superior Unarmed Strike and Versatile Unarmed Strike? Then you could be a Lizardfolk or a Troglodyte and really convince people that you are that, as you dont get the claw attacks when you become those races.

kaffalidjmah
2015-01-13, 12:31 PM
This is a nice advice, also i found a homebrew version of Jack of all trades that can sobstitute able learner as a prerequisites, so i will save a talent. I was thinking also in the knowledge devotion or a few font of inspiration, but now i see that without flaw this vice have just...7 feat? 2 already slotted for the prestige class, knowledge devotion most probably in...i have to think...thank for the advice!