PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need some Lore/History for my new race

King of Casuals
2015-01-12, 01:37 PM
Im trying to DM a campaign, and I want to add my own race. I finished all of the stats but im having trouble thinking of lore for them.
Heres the stats:
Charsk (name of the race)
Aberration, Medium size, Normal move speed
+2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int
Xenophobic (doesnt get common as a language for free)
Stalker (perception and stealth are always class skills)
Resurrection vulnerability (cannot be resurrected)
Charsk are born with blank genetic templates and as a coming of age ritual they hunt, kill, and skin an animal, then wear it's pelt, gaining some of that animal's characteristics (and special abilities based off of the animal)

Please post stories/lore about them, i would love to hear what you guys can come up with.

BRC
2015-01-12, 01:52 PM
*Crack's Knuckles*
Alright, let's get to work.

According to their own Mythology, when the Gods made the world, they first made the Charsk. That is why in their language, "Charsk" means "First People".
One God Some of the Charsk were mixed with the trees. They became Elves. Another mixed some Charsk with the stone, they became Dwarves, and so on and so forth.
The gods took more and more of the Charsk, mixing them with things to populate their new world. Eventually, the world was finished, but some Charsk remained, an unfinished creation in a finished world. Before they can properly join the world, a Charsk must "Complete" itself.

According to the rest of the world, the Charsk are the creation of some mad wizard who sought test subjects for his experiments.

The Charsk live in isolated communities, usually in jungles or savannas, places with a wide variety of beasts for them to hunt and absorb. The Charsk value diversity, and individual Charsks are encouraged to seek out a the skins of creatures that nobody else in the tribe has mixed with. It is a deadly insult to mistake one Charsk for another.
Charsk dislike other races because they believe it is unhealthy to have an entire society where everybody is just one thing. The idea of uniformed soldiers is especially distasteful for to them. The idea that other races, who as far as the Charsk can tell are already too homogenous, go further by making their soldiers dress and fight the same is proof that the rest of the world is totally mad.

ewoods
2015-01-12, 02:40 PM
Unlike the other races that were created by the gods, the charsk arose from the primordial chaos of the newly formed world. Their ability to adapt to the world around them made them excellent survivalists, and they sought to help the other races, but lacking any patron god of their own, they were feared as abominations and driven into hiding. The charsk took to the wilds, lurking in the shadows as they watched the other races put all of their energy into shaping the world around them to suit their needs. Rejecting this way of life, the charsk shaped themselves to suit the needs of the world, becoming wolves and bears and other creatures in need of a champion when the other races moved in with their hunters and armies and cities.

The charsk strive to achieve balance in nature. Their tribes have been known to separate when they become too large, forming smaller tribes that disperse and seek out other areas to live in so as to cause as little harm to the world as possible. Lacking any creator or even a patron deity, the charsk have no soul and therefore cannot be resurrected. Such a thing is never even considered. Instead, the dead are returned to the animals from which they drew their power in a ritual as elaborate as the coming of age. It is said that when a charsk dies, one of his totem animals is born, the energy having only been borrowed and never truly belonging to the charsk. This legend represents their core philosophy: The world does not belong to the charsk, the charsk belong to the world.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-01-12, 04:31 PM
No offense, but shouldn't this thread be in the Homebrew forum?

King of Casuals
2015-01-13, 10:48 AM
Probably. Keep posting anyways, I love the ideas so far!