PDA

View Full Version : A Goddess for Drow Elves

x-Anarion-x
2015-01-12, 02:05 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering. Drow Elves in an Asgardian Pantheon, who would their goddess be?

I've got three options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%B3tt (goddess of the night & grandmother of Thor which makes her not evil...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laufey (Mother of Loki... so that could work)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyrrokkin (Big strong giantess, could work to be a power feminazi :3)

Any thoughts?

cheers,
Anárion

ExLibrisMortis
2015-01-12, 02:31 PM
Loki?

"One of the more intriguing etymologies of his name connects it to the Swedish dialect-word Locke ("spider")" (http://www.norsemyth.org/2010/04/gods-goddesses-part-five.html)

Other than that, you're facing the problem that the Norse pantheon has fewer (no?) unequivocally evil members than the D&D pantheon. Even Loki does some pretty neat stuff, from time to time. Lolth, and drow, are supposed to be evil, as Loki's monstrous offspring and similar. How about drow worshipping the dragon at the root of the world-tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%AD%C3%B0h%C3%B6ggr)?. You could always go for a totally fresh and new giantess dedicated to spiders, as a last resort.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-12, 02:43 PM
Quick question, are you a drow as presented in DnD, or a Dark Elf from Norse mythology?

Red Fel
2015-01-12, 02:50 PM
Well, let's see. Lolth is a deformed goddess-in-exile who watches over a dark, dreary, morbid place. That sounds like Hel to me.

Really, her story gives you everything. As one of Loki's terrifying mutant babies, she was cast down by Odin, tasked with watching over those who died ignobly (of sickness or age). She's generally depicted as amoral at best, or cruel, sadistic, and cold at worst. Admittedly, D&D aligns her at NE instead of CE, but give her a bigger penchant for diseases and an appreciation for the death caused by societal collapse, and she's a pretty good approximation.

hamishspence
2015-01-12, 03:16 PM
And 3.5 drow are Usually NE anyway.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-01-12, 03:21 PM
Well, let's see. Lolth is a deformed goddess-in-exile who watches over a dark, dreary, morbid place. That sounds like Hel to me.

Really, her story gives you everything. As one of Loki's terrifying mutant babies, she was cast down by Odin, tasked with watching over those who died ignobly (of sickness or age). She's generally depicted as amoral at best, or cruel, sadistic, and cold at worst. Admittedly, D&D aligns her at NE instead of CE, but give her a bigger penchant for diseases and an appreciation for the death caused by societal collapse, and she's a pretty good approximation.
Seconded. character limit

Vhaidara
2015-01-12, 03:25 PM

All in favor of electing Red Fel "Evil Overlord in the Playground"?

Sam K
2015-01-12, 04:06 PM
Hel for main goddess, although remember Hel is nowhere near Lolth level of evil for evil's sake - she even offers to return Baldur to the living if "every living thing weeps for him". Still, she is destined to fight with the giants in ragnarok, so that should place her firmly in the evil camp.

Loki would possibly be a patron for male drow, sort of like Vhaeraun is in the realms; this would make for an interesting situation since the lower ranking males worship the father, while the ranking females worship the daughter.

Nótt would be a great patron for renegade drow. As the bringer of night, she offers sanctuary from the searing light.

x-Anarion-x
2015-01-12, 04:20 PM
Thanks all,

Guess I have to bitch-up the image of Hel (nothing personal, just in case some radical viking want to ragnarok me because of insulting a Goddess of him, can't be to sure these days) to make her more suitable for the drow Elves.

I can do that.

Yeah Loki is the father of her I know, that was why I suggested his mother, of which we hardly know anything.

And btw, isn't Lolth a beautiful drow elf, if so desired?

Thanks all,

atemu1234
2015-01-12, 04:35 PM
Hel. Also, Loki took female form fairly often.

Coidzor
2015-01-12, 06:00 PM
Quick question, are you a drow as presented in DnD, or a Dark Elf from Norse mythology?

Yeah, Dark Elves from Norse mythology might be more like a semi-elfy dwarven subrace than Drow. With elements of Gnomes thrown in.

Or possibly just more magical, refluffed Whisper Gnomes.

AnonymousPepper
2015-01-12, 10:50 PM
All in favor of electing Red Fel "Evil Overlord in the Playground"?

I say yea.

Solaris
2015-01-12, 11:29 PM
Seconded. character limit

Thirded. Red Fel said pretty much what I was about to post. Hel is pretty much the best match for Lolth in the Asgardian pantheon, although pairing her up with Loki would be a interesting idea. Sleipnir, the eight-legged horse, could hint at a connection to the arachnid-obsessed drow.

Sam K
2015-01-13, 01:25 AM
Thanks all,

Guess I have to bitch-up the image of Hel (nothing personal, just in case some radical viking want to ragnarok me because of insulting a Goddess of him, can't be to sure these days) to make her more suitable for the drow Elves.

Quit repressing my culture, you ethnocentric...! :belkar: