PDA

View Full Version : Gnoll as playable race

Spacehamster
2015-01-12, 03:43 PM
What stats abilities would you guys give gnolls and is there possiblity to use sub races
know there is Flinds thats a stockier meaner type of Gnoll but is there a 2nd one that could be
a 2nd subrace? :) Were thinking something like the mountain dwarf but with +2STR +2DEX or so.
But not sure what racial things they should have. :)

Envyus
2015-01-12, 04:28 PM
Here is what NPC built from scrach Gnolls get according to the DMG.

Gnoll +2 Str, -2 lnt Rampage; darkvision 60ft.

If you want to make it a PC race you could just use this or adjust it as you see fit.

For one I would give them a bite attack as well.

Rfkannen
2015-01-12, 04:33 PM
Ability score increase. Increase your streangth by 2. Increase either your dex or your con by 1
Size. Medium
Speed. 30 feet.
Darkvision
languages. Common and gnoll
Rampage. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points you can take a bonus action to do a bite attack
bite. You have a 1d4 bite attack which you are proficient in. It uses streangth.

Spacehamster
2015-01-13, 01:34 PM
Ability score increase. Increase your streangth by 2. Increase either your dex or your con by 1
Size. Medium
Speed. 30 feet.
Darkvision
languages. Common and gnoll
Rampage. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points you can take a bonus action to do a bite attack
bite. You have a 1d4 bite attack which you are proficient in. It uses streangth.

like this, altho its other perks except the + ability scores is probably weaker then other races I would either
let it have +1 on both AGI and CON or give it 1 skill proficiency.

Joe the Rat
2015-01-13, 01:43 PM
dex or con keeps it consistent with other races +2/+1... except for Mountain Dwarves. Though +2STR/+2CON might be good for the Flinds.

What weapon, skill, and/or tool proficiencies fit the Gnoll? I want to give them Survival for the tracking component, but that may just be my spin on things.

Are there any other sense boosts that would make sense?

Spacehamster
2015-01-13, 01:50 PM
dex or con keeps it consistent with other races +2/+1... except for Mountain Dwarves. Though +2STR/+2CON might be good for the Flinds.

What weapon, skill, and/or tool proficiencies fit the Gnoll? I want to give them Survival for the tracking component, but that may just be my spin on things.

Are there any other sense boosts that would make sense?

well agree to a point but its not only mtn dorf that is different from +2/+1, humans +1 on all or +1 on two,
half elf gets +2 and +1 on two things. so +2 STR, +1AGI and +1CON is fine and does not break anything.
survival is good for gnoll and maybe light armor prof or something.

Rogue Shadows
2015-01-13, 02:03 PM
Run the stats straight out of the DMG/MM. Either that or...hang on, I'll reverse-engineer one as per the 3rd Edition rules for doing so and see what I end up with.

Ability Adjustments: +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma
Medium
Base Speed: 30 ft.
Darkvision: 60 ft.
Rampage: When a gnoll reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on its turn, the gnoll can take a bonus action to move up to half its base speed and make a bite attack.
Natural Attack: Bite, 1d4 piercing.
Languages: Gnoll.

Your choice as to whether or not to give it 5d8 Racial Hit Die. Or how those Racial Hit Die would even work in 5th Edition. Stupid lack of transparancy between player characters and monsters...

Oh no, it has ability score penalties, the horror...

Spacehamster
2015-01-13, 02:40 PM
Run the stats straight out of the DMG/MM. Either that or...hang on, I'll reverse-engineer one as per the 3rd Edition rules for doing so and see what I end up with.

Ability Adjustments: +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma
Medium
Base Speed: 30 ft.
Darkvision: 60 ft.
Rampage: When a gnoll reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on its turn, the gnoll can take a bonus action to move up to half its base speed and make a bite attack.
Natural Attack: Bite, 1d4 piercing.
Languages: Gnoll.

Your choice as to whether or not to give it 5d8 Racial Hit Die. Or how those Racial Hit Die would even work in 5th Edition. Stupid lack of transparancy between player characters and monsters...

Oh no, it has ability score penalties, the horror...

Think player characters are not supposed to get minuses to anything in this edition tho. :)

Rogue Shadows
2015-01-13, 02:58 PM
Think player characters are not supposed to get minuses to anything in this edition tho. :)

No, we haven't seen player races with minuses to anything. That's not the same thing, and it's not like the game stops functioning just because they do.

If the players want to play a gnoll then a gnoll they shall play. Though, I would recommend running the version found in the DMG with a few extra perks logically extracted from the MM (+2 Str, -2 Int, Darkvision 60 ft., Rampage, base speed 30 ft., Medium, bite attack 1d4 piercing, automatic language Gnoll) over the reverse-engineered one I made since I reverse-engineered it using a system not designed to work in 5th Edition.

But maybe I wouldn't have to do that if there was just some God-damned transparency between PCs and monsters! GAH! I hate how monsters are made in 4th and 5th Edition...

Gwendol
2015-01-14, 05:58 AM
I find gnolls to be underwhelming in this edition. Rampage is cool-ish, but the race as a whole...

I would give them proficiency with the longbow as well.

Spacehamster
2015-01-14, 06:25 AM
I find gnolls to be underwhelming in this edition. Rampage is cool-ish, but the race as a whole...

I would give them proficiency with the longbow as well.

Going to homebrew a playable gnoll when I get home I think. :)

randomodo
2015-01-14, 08:03 AM
There were some OGL stats for gnoll PCs in Scarred Lands for 3.0, if I recall correctly. (not for the main continent; it was for that tropical/southern continent the name of which escapes me).

This doesn't imply that it's necessarily mechanically transparent to apply 3.0/3.5 to 5e; I'd go with the suggestion above to use MM stats.

You don't have to have two subraces if you don't want to; tieflings don't get that option, nor do half-elves, nor half-orcs.

Spacehamster
2015-01-14, 08:28 AM
There were some OGL stats for gnoll PCs in Scarred Lands for 3.0, if I recall correctly. (not for the main continent; it was for that tropical/southern continent the name of which escapes me).

This doesn't imply that it's necessarily mechanically transparent to apply 3.0/3.5 to 5e; I'd go with the suggestion above to use MM stats.

You don't have to have two subraces if you don't want to; tieflings don't get that option, nor do half-elves, nor half-orcs.

True, probably better if I just make the flind then since they are the "exceptional" gnolls and PC´s are supposed
to be exceptional. :)