PDA

View Full Version : Cyclopses &/or Gremlins?

Zeta Kai
2007-04-01, 04:40 PM
I may have missed something, but I don't recall stats for either Cyclopses or Gremlins in any WotC book I've read. Where are they? In 2nd Edition, Cyclopses were considered a type of giant, & there where no less than 5 gremlin types in the Monstrous Manual. So are there now none of either in 3E? That just seems odd. We still have Swan Mays?! I mean seriously, Swan Mays?

Ivius
2007-04-01, 05:03 PM
I really can't think of anything that would set apart Cyclopses from normal giants other than appearance (and maybe a spot check penalty).

Plactus
2007-04-01, 05:18 PM
Cyclopes are written up in Deities & Demigods. As for gremlins, no idea.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-01, 05:36 PM
I believe it's 'Cyclopsi'.

And now I will ride off into the night...

*Whoosh*

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-01, 05:48 PM
No, Plactus was right. It's 'cyclopes'.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-01, 05:49 PM
No, Plactus was right. It's 'cyclopes'.
Oh, didn't know that.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-01, 06:17 PM
Yup. It's an odd word. Oh well, 'The More You Know'. *rainbow/star/television station logo*

Zeta Kai
2007-04-01, 06:44 PM
The Cyclopses had poor depth perception ("-2 to missile attack rolls"). Most of their differences from regular giants were in the fluff ("They smell of equal parts dirt & dung."), but I'd expect them to figure more prominently. Thanks for the tip, Plactus.

Gremlins used to be quite diverse. They looked like gargoyles in the 2E MM, but there were also Fremlins (friendly & harmless), Galltrits (bloodsucking & stealthy), Mites (tiny & wingless), Snyads (tiny & thieving), & Jermlaines (who have made an appearance in 3E, in the MMII). They were all interesting in their own way, & now their all gone. What gives?

AtomicKitKat
2007-04-01, 09:10 PM
Upstaged by Kobolds and Mephits, I imagine. :/

jjpickar
2007-04-01, 09:15 PM
Still, Zeta Kai has a point, Cyclopes and Gremlins are a staple of myth, legend, and fantasy stories since before they were classified under that genre. I believe some cyclopes have eye beams that were kinda beholder-ish. I wonder if someone has home brewed something like that?

Beleriphon
2007-04-01, 09:29 PM
Still, Zeta Kai has a point, Cyclopes and Gremlins are a staple of myth, legend, and fantasy stories since before they were classified under that genre. I believe some cyclopes have eye beams that were kinda beholder-ish. I wonder if someone has home brewed something like that?

I'm actually pretty sure that cyclopses only really feature extensively in Greek myth, and were basically really big one eye humans. So they were giants in D&D terminology.

Darrin
2007-04-01, 10:40 PM
I may have missed something, but I don't recall stats for either Cyclopses or Gremlins in any WotC book I've read. Where are they? In 2nd Edition, Cyclopses were considered a type of giant, & there where no less than 5 gremlin types in the Monstrous Manual. So are there now none of either in 3E? That just seems odd. We still have Swan Mays?! I mean seriously, Swan Mays?

Dragon #323 had two different "Cyclopean" races, the Menta (+2 Con, -2 Dex, FvCl Wizard) and the Feral-Kind (+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int, FvCl Barbarian). Both 0 LA, which is nice, and some fluffish "Glimpse the Future" stuff (+1 bonus to Init and Ref). Unfortunately, Crystalkeep doesn't have the details.

For Gremlins... hrm... would mongrelfolk work? There's been a couple fiendish/tainted races that might do. Not familiar with the 2nd Ed version, so not sure what would work best in 3.x.

Kantolin
2007-04-02, 12:08 AM
Pah, the only cyclops is Gruumsh, who claims to be the god of the orcs when he very clearly is in no way an orc.

He's just bitter that his entire race was annihilated, and thus is attempting to take over orcs to make himself feel better.

Starsinger
2007-04-02, 03:54 AM
Kant yer an idea snatcher :-p

Variable Arcana
2007-04-02, 10:23 AM
Bah. Cyclopses and eyebeams.

The Cyclops is from Homer's The Odyssey -- a 2,500 year old fantasy story that's still a classic. It threw rocks (like a hill giant), poorly, and ate humans whole.

The cyclops-firing-eyebeams idea, I believe, comes from the Heroes of Might and Magic video game.

AtomicKitKat
2007-04-02, 12:06 PM
The cyclops-firing-eyebeams idea, I believe, comes from the Heroes of Might and Magic video game.

Sure that wasn't taken from Marvel's Scott Summers?

It's also since been expanded/explored as a concept in shows like Xiaolin Showdown.

jjpickar
2007-04-02, 12:08 PM
Which was a good game by the way. Kudos for catching the reference.:smallwink: Variable