PDA

View Full Version : What does Skill Proficiency do in 5e?

Varok Frenzyhea
2015-01-12, 04:32 PM
I'm making a Cleric for a campaign, and I'm new to 5e. What exactly does "being proficient with a skill" (For example, Medicine and Insight) do for you? And can I use any skills that I am not proficient with?

Madfellow
2015-01-12, 04:42 PM
Having proficiency in a skill means that you add your proficiency bonus to ability checks you make with the given skill. You can still roll for any skill even if you're not proficient; you just don't add your bonus to it then.

Varok Frenzyhea
2015-01-12, 04:44 PM
Having proficiency in a skill means that you add your proficiency bonus to ability checks you make with the given skill. You can still roll for any skill even if you're not proficient; you just don't add your bonus to it then.

Is there a limit to the amount of times you can add your Proficiency Bonus?

MadGrady
2015-01-12, 04:48 PM
Is there a limit to the amount of times you can add your Proficiency Bonus?

Only and ever once (though some class features do add multipliers to it, such as a Rogue/Bard's expertise feature)

Varok Frenzyhea
2015-01-12, 05:00 PM
Only and ever once (though some class features do add multipliers to it, such as a Rogue/Bard's expertise feature)

Only once??? As in, the entire campaign?

Madfellow
2015-01-12, 05:01 PM
Only once??? As in, the entire campaign?

No no no no no. Only once AT A TIME. As in, multiple instances of proficiency don't stack. You add your proficiency bonus to a skill every time you use it.

DanyBallon
2015-01-12, 05:18 PM
Consider you proficiency bonus as your skill rank, except for Stats increase, it's the only way you'll become more proficient in a skill. Same goes for proficiency with weapons (this replace 3.P BAB). Proficiency bonus also apply to the saving throws your proficient with. Bottom line, what they did is one bonus to rule them all ;)

Varok Frenzyhea
2015-01-12, 05:24 PM
No no no no no. Only once AT A TIME. As in, multiple instances of proficiency don't stack. You add your proficiency bonus to a skill every time you use it.

Ah ok. Thank you very much to all who replied.

Celcey
2015-01-13, 09:07 PM
I have a question on a similar topic: do you add your stat to a ability check? Like do you add you strength mod to an athletics check? If so, is that only if you have proficiency, or no matter what (so would I ad my strength mod only if I was proficient with athletics, or even if I'm not)?

Forrestfire
2015-01-13, 09:15 PM
Ability checks are 1d20 + Proficiency Mod (if proficient) + the relevant ability mod (always).

Celcey
2015-01-13, 09:17 PM
Ability checks are 1d20 + Proficiency Mod (if proficient) + the relevant ability mod (always).

Oooooooh. I was wondering about that; it needed kind of lame for them to just get a plus do, even at only level 1. Would you (or someone else) mind giving me a page ref?

Also, sidenote: I really like your avatar.

Forrestfire
2015-01-13, 09:35 PM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin: typo-caused-puns are the best puns

The page you are looking for is p.174.