PDA

View Full Version : What is the best monk/cleric in your opinion?

Rfkannen
2015-01-12, 06:42 PM
I love the idea of a monk/cleric. The classes work so well together in my opinion, at least fluff wise. Kicking ass for the lord with both fist and spell. However it is hard, the monk is not a spell caster so you lose spell slots for a cleric. and the cleric doesnt benifit the monk abilities either.

What do you think is the best way to implement a monk cleric? What domains fit with what monk school? HOw well do you think it works?

Person_Man
2015-01-12, 06:49 PM
Monk needs ki to be effective, and only Monk levels provide ki. Cleric needs spells, and Monk doesn't provide them. So I think the best option is to ask your DM for a homebrew of whatever you want, because mechanically, they don't work well together at all.

Shadow
2015-01-12, 07:08 PM
So I think the best option is to ask your DM for a homebrew of whatever you want

This.
Ask your DM if you/he can homebrew a Discipline and/or Domain to make a Sacred Fist.
One of the abilities might be to count every two or three cleric levels as one monk level for Ki purposes.
Or one of them might be to count every two or three monk levels as one level of caster.
Or the Channel Divinity option might be to restore all spent Ki once per (insert appropriate) rest.

It all depends on which class you want more of, but if you make a subclass for each of them and balance them individually, then you can multiclass and still have it balanced.

Grayson01
2015-01-12, 08:54 PM
What most intrestes you about the Monk and the Cleric and what are you looking for by combining them? In your head what are you invissioning?

Rfkannen
2015-01-12, 08:58 PM
Monk needs ki to be effective, and only Monk levels provide ki. Cleric needs spells, and Monk doesn't provide them. So I think the best option is to ask your DM for a homebrew of whatever you want, because mechanically, they don't work well together at all.

True enough hard to homebrew it though, adding spells to a monk would be a pain and so would adding ki to a cleric

This.
Ask your DM if you/he can homebrew a Discipline and/or Domain to make a Sacred Fist.
One of the abilities might be to count every two or three cleric levels as one monk level for Ki purposes.
Or one of them might be to count every two or three monk levels as one level of caster.
Or the Channel Divinity option might be to restore all spent Ki once per (insert appropriate) rest.

It all depends on which class you want more of, but if you make a subclass for each of them and balance them individually, then you can multiclass and still have it balanced.
So compecated though :(

What most intrestes you about the Monk and the Cleric and what are you looking for by combining them? In your head what are you invissioning?

What do I picture? A monk, that heals people with magic. I suppose useing ki to heal would be the same. It just seems like it would be incredably hard to balance.

I don't know, just a more divine monk.

Emongnome777
2015-01-12, 09:10 PM
True enough hard to homebrew it though, adding spells to a monk would be a pain and so would adding ki to a cleric

What about a homebrewed monk subclass that uses EK / AT spell progression with basically cleric spells? Not sure you would even need any other subclass perks, except possibly something very minor at the appropriate levels. I can see this being fairly easy. Not sure about the balance. Best to compare it to the elemental subclass.

Shadow
2015-01-12, 09:12 PM
What do I picture? A monk, that heals people with magic. I suppose useing ki to heal would be the same. It just seems like it would be incredably hard to balance.

I don't know, just a more divine monk.

That's not hard to balance at all. That's not what I pictured with the original question though, which is why my first answer was more complicated than you'd like.
Just make him a Four Winds Elements monk and homebrew a single 'spell' 'elemental discipline' for him using cure wounds. 2 Ki base +1 Ki per extra die seems reasonable for a 1st level spell (like burning hands has). It would be a water based power.
Done.
You can add Lesser Resto or whatever else as well if you like as you and your DM see fit.

Yorrin
2015-01-12, 09:22 PM
A one level splash in Monk isn't bad for Trickery or some builds of Death, War or Tempest. The key is you want to have a Dex secondary focus already in your Cleric build, which any of the above domains can do rather easily. A Monk level is actually a huge boon to Trickery types, who will be using the martial arts quite a bit, whereas the others are probably doing the dip more for the unarmored AC.

Grayson01
2015-01-12, 10:22 PM
What about a homebrewed monk subclass that uses EK / AT spell progression with basically cleric spells? Not sure you would even need any other subclass perks, except possibly something very minor at the appropriate levels. I can see this being fairly easy. Not sure about the balance. Best to compare it to the elemental subclass.

This is probably the best idea. I am AFBs at the moment but you could use what ever school the Cure line is in 5e and one other like abj (if cleric spell describtions have schools, like I said AFB) and use teh cleric spell list. Even just steal the EK class features but instead of a attack when ever you cast a cantrip or later a spell you get an unarmed strike. The only class feature that would be really monk related would be the summon weapon.

charcoalninja
2015-01-12, 10:35 PM
It depends on what you want to do with your monk.

If Hadokens are your thing a Light Cleric is awesome. If you'd rather have spells around but do a lot more punching use War cleric.

Light clerics have powerful nukes and can impose disadvantage on attacks against their enemies and AOE in a big blast at later levels.

War cleric allows you another option for making extra attacks with your bonus action that doesn't use ki. But come to think of it, attacking once as a bonus doesn't use ki so... War cleric wouldn't be good then.

So I'd go Monk / Light Cleric. You only really need up to 3rd levels spells to be crazy aweome anyway so but higher ones are nice. A Monk 9 / Cleric 11 gives you more spellcasting and nuking for more of a DBZ character feel, while Monk 11 / Cleric 9 or Monk 14 / Cleric 6 emphisises the face punching.

The classes work very well together IMO and will create a very very versitile character. If an Eldritch Knight is a viable option with mostly 3rds you can get by with 4th or higher cleric spells just fine.

Edit: there's no need to homebrew anything. This isn't 3.5 and casters mix just fine with noncasters. The game is balanced around people having no spells, so the addition of any is a big perk. Having Bless alone is worth it!