PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Few more Cantrips

Starsinger
2015-01-12, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, I made a few more cantrips, mostly because some of the classes (Cleric, Bard) were woefully lacking in attack cantrips and aren't actually valid choices for Spellsniper because none of their cantrips require attack rolls. So the intended for part in parentheses is what classes I imagine having these cantrips, since as homebrew it's up to a DM anyway and they might go ahead and let, say, a Warlock have Magic Stone or a Wizard take Cold Shoulder.

Magic Stone
Transmutation Cantrip (intended for Clerics and Druids)
Casting Time: One Action
Range: 60 feet
Component: V, S, M (some stones)
Duration: Instantaneous

You enchant a handful of stones that fly toward an enemy. Make a ranged spell attack against the target, if you hit deal 1d8 bludgeoning damage. This damage counts as magical for overcoming damage resistance.
The spell fires multiple rocks at higher levels, 2 rocks at 5th level, 3 rocks at 11th level, and 4 rocks at 17th level. You can direct the rocks to attack the same target or different targets, make a separate roll for each rock.

Sonic Shout
Evocation Cantrip (intended for Sorcerers, Bards, and Clerics)
Casting Time: One Action
Range: 120 feet
Component: V, S

You project your voice into a missile of sonic energy. Make a ranged spell attack against a target, if you hit your voice explodes upon reaching them dealing 1d10 thunder damage.
This spell increases in power as you level up, dealing 2d10 thunder damage at 5th level, 3d10 at 11th level, and 4d10 at 17th level.

Cold Shoulder
Evocation Cantrip (intended for Warlocks, Druids, and Sorcerers)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch

Your body briefly wells up with freezing magic which you transfer to another creature by touch (despite the name it does not need to be from your shoulder). Make a melee spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 cold damage and cannot take the disengage action this turn.
This spell increases in power as you level up, dealing 2d8 cold damage at 5th level, 3d8 cold damage at 12th level, and 4d10 cold damage at 17th level.

Lance of Faith
Conjuration Cantrip (Intended for Clerics)
Range: 120 feet
Componenet: V, S

You fire a bolt of divine energy toward a target, briefly making it easier to hit. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. If you hit deal 1d8 radiant damage to the target and the next attack to against them gets a +2 on the attack roll.
This spell increases in power as you level up, dealing 2d8 radiant damage at 5th level, 3d8 radiant damage at 11th level, and 4d10 radiant damage at 17th level.

Lightning Strike
Evocation Cantrip (Intended for Druids, Clerics, Sorcerers)
Range: 50 feet

Lightning strikes your foe and then ricochets to another enemy. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. If you hit deal 1d8 lightning damage. Another target within 50 feet of the primary target must make a Dexterity save or take half the lightning damage the primary target took.
This spell increases in power as you level up, dealing 2d8 lightning damage to the primary target at 5th level, 3d8 lightning damage at 11th level, and 4d8 lightning damage to the primary target at 17th level.

Glass Shield
Abjuration Cantrip (intended for Wizards, Warlocks, Clerics)
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

You summon a shield made out of glass before the target. While the shield is in place they gain a +1 bonus to armor class. If an enemy strikes them in melee and the attack connects, the shield explodes outward dealing 1d6 piercing damage to the enemy. This damage is considered magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances. If no enemy successfully hits the target after one round, the shield fades into nothingness.
The shield becomes stronger as you level up, dealing 2d6 damage at 5th level, 3d6 damage at 11th level, and 4d6 damage at 17th level.

Rainbow Beam
Illusion Cantrip (Intended for Bards, Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks)
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S

You fire a beam of dashing colored lights toward an enemy. Make a ranged spell attack, if you hit the target takes 1d6 radiant damage and suffers a -1 on its next attack roll.
This spell becomes more powerful as you level up, deaing 2d6 radiant damage at 5th level, 3d6 radiant damage at 11th level, and 4d6 radiant damage at 17th level.

mictrepanier
2015-01-14, 02:45 PM
Lance of Faith

4d8, not 4d10 at 17th level, and +2 to hit is not a d&d 5e-wise bonus.

Gnomes2169
2015-01-15, 04:08 AM
Lance of Faith

4d8, not 4d10 at 17th level, and +2 to hit is not a d&d 5e-wise bonus.

I would suggest a +1d4 bonus instead, since there are plenty of those thrown around as is, and it's not as powerful as granting advantage (which is something no cantrip does as of yet). :smallsmile: However, lowering damage to d6's instead would not be out of line if you changed it to +1d4 to the next attack roll, since that is a bless-level buff (and actually stacks with bless, making it even better), so you don't need the damage to be quite so high.

Also...

Lightning Strike
Evocation Cantrip (Intended for Druids, Clerics, Sorcerers)
Range: 50 feet

Lightning strikes your foe and then ricochets to another enemy. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. If you hit deal 1d8 lightning damage. Another target within 50 feet of the primary target must make a Dexterity save or take half the lightning damage the primary target took.
This spell increases in power as you level up, dealing 2d8 lightning damage to the primary target at 5th level, 3d8 lightning damage at 11th level, and 4d8 lightning damage to the primary target at 17th level.

I know a tempest cleric who will die of happy when I let them exchange their divine bolt for this (we refluffed it as lightning damage already... might as well just use this one instead, since he likes shooting lightning at heathens. :smalltongue:)

Kryx
2015-01-15, 07:51 AM
I would suggest a +1d4 bonus instead, since there are plenty of those thrown around as is, and it's not as powerful as granting advantage (which is something no cantrip does as of yet)

Guiding Bolt does, but for one attack. I don't see a reason for lance of faith to exist when Guiding Bolt does - they're the same flavor.

Gnomes2169
2015-01-15, 01:28 PM
Guiding Bolt does, but for one attack. I don't see a reason for lance of faith to exist when Guiding Bolt does - they're the same flavor.

Guiding bolt is a level 1 spell, not a cantrip. :smalltongue:

Forrestfire
2015-01-15, 05:41 PM
Guiding Bolt and this one are also mutually exclusive, since you can't stack them. I feel like Guiding Bolt's effective +5 (that's what Advantage is, mathematically, right?) compares decently to Lance of Faith's +2 as a cantrip instead of a spell.

Also, there are plenty of things that grant +1/2/etc to things, they just generally aren't spells. Shouldn't be too much of an issue, I'd imagine.

I really like Glass Shield, and am going to enjoy using it in the game I'm in :smallbiggrin: