PDA

View Full Version : Turn undead w/o turn undead feature.

ivanbin
2015-01-12, 08:06 PM
Two questions:
I am a Rainbow servant.
1) Can I get turn undead (and i mean just the uses, for DMM and Devotion feats) uses upon gaining the Air domain as it reads

Turn or destroy earth creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster air creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.
2) Can I also get uses from nightsticks?

Red Fel
2015-01-12, 08:24 PM
Two questions:
I am a Rainbow servant.
1) Can I get turn undead (and i mean just the uses, for DMM and Devotion feats) uses upon gaining the Air domain as it reads

2) Can I also get uses from nightsticks?

1: No. The ability to turn something other than Undead is not the same as the ability to turn Undead, even though their mechanics function the same way. Unless you get a houseruling from your DM, being able to turn Elementals, or Dragons, or X-Creatures, or what-have-you, does not qualify you for things that require the ability to turn Undead.

2: No. Nightsticks give you additional TUs per day, but only if you can already TU. They don't give TU, for example, to a Fighter.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-12, 08:38 PM
1: No. The ability to turn something other than Undead is not the same as the ability to turn Undead, even though their mechanics function the same way. Unless you get a houseruling from your DM, being able to turn Elementals, or Dragons, or X-Creatures, or what-have-you, does not qualify you for things that require the ability to turn Undead.

Caveat here, some devotion Feats simply say "Turn/Rebuke" so you can use it for those, otherwise Red Fel is correct.

Red Fel
2015-01-12, 08:45 PM
Caveat here, some devotion Feats simply say "Turn/Rebuke" so you can use it for those, otherwise Red Fel is correct.

True, good catch. If it simply asks for the ability to turn or rebuke, you're golden.

In this case, however, both DMM and Nightsticks specifically refer to the ability to turn or rebuke Undead. Not air creatures. So you're out of luck, mate. Take Cleric dip, though, and you should be set. One level, you're good to go.

Twurps
2015-01-14, 06:13 PM
One additional caveat: The turn/rebuke dragon ACF (Dragon Magic p14) explicitly states that it can be used to Qualify for or activate divine feats, as do a few others.

Still doesn't change the answer in the OP's case though ;)

Doc_Maynot
2015-01-14, 06:18 PM
Bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine Compendium may help
Necromantic Bloodline
"One of your ancestors was an undead creature or possessed an unholy link with the undead brought on by frequent contact."
Kin Mastery
"Once per day, you may turn or rebuke creatures of the same kind as your bloodline ancestor as a cleric of 1/2 your level in the arcane spellcasting class that granted you access to your base bloodline feat. You may choose to either turn or rebuke such creatures upon taking this feat, but you cannot later change that decision."

Those two should work.

Coidzor
2015-01-14, 06:33 PM
True, good catch. If it simply asks for the ability to turn or rebuke, you're golden.

In this case, however, both DMM and Nightsticks specifically refer to the ability to turn or rebuke Undead. Not air creatures. So you're out of luck, mate. Take Cleric dip, though, and you should be set. One level, you're good to go.

Dipping Cleric 1 is pretty sweet, especially with options like Cloistered Cleric, but wouldn't Sacred Exorcist be better for a Rainbow Servant build?

Magma Armor0
2015-01-15, 03:58 PM
Having a friend that's a hierophant can work if they pick up the ability to transfer turn undead attempts.

Chronos
2015-01-15, 07:57 PM
Except that depends on having someone actually take the hierophant class.

Magma Armor0
2015-01-16, 12:55 AM
Except that depends on having someone actually take the hierophant class.

Isn't that what cohorts are for?
/blue

animewatcha
2015-01-16, 02:37 PM

2: No. Nightsticks give you additional TUs per day, but only if you can already TU. They don't give TU, for example, to a Fighter.

1. Turn and rebuke dragons has already been mentioned. There is also a few others like destroy undead ( castle ravenloft, complete divine ) and rebuke vermin.

2. This can be worked around a little if you UMD it to emulate you having the turn undead class feature.

georgie_leech
2015-01-16, 03:55 PM
1. Turn and rebuke dragons has already been mentioned. There is also a few others like destroy undead ( castle ravenloft, complete divine ) and rebuke vermin.

2. This can be worked around a little if you UMD it to emulate you having the turn undead class feature.

If an Undead emulates having a CON Score, I don't think that UMD lets them get extra hp for putting on a belt of +2 CON or whatever. Why would Nightsticks be different?

animewatcha
2015-01-16, 10:52 PM
Undead con score of ' - +2 ' ( they do have to make a fort save for a few things ). The nightsticks would add a straight +4 uses of 'turn/rebuke'. The PC would not have been able to claim a divine feat for it ( pre-req of ability to turn ), but they could expend 1-3 of these uses to power devotion feats.