PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spellgifted Optimization - What school does a Sorcerer choose?

kkplx
2015-01-12, 08:09 PM
Hello there

I'm currently rolling up a Sorcerer, and I am wondering what School would be the best to choose for the Spellgifted Trait - my feeling says Evocation, as it seems to have the most CL-dependent effects, but considering the extreme bias toward conjuration, I am not quite certain yet.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-12, 08:23 PM
Honestly any of them. It really depends on what you want your Sorc to do.

Jeff the Green
2015-01-12, 08:39 PM
Something for which CL actually matters. It's generally not enormously relevant for divination or enchantment, but it is for anything that involves damage or has a lot of short durations.

kkplx
2015-01-12, 09:05 PM
One contender for my (somewhat sub-par) sorcerer would be necromancy - he's a necropolitan, and his main source of healing would be the negative energy ray - unfortunately most other necromancy spells kind of depend on a save, not caster level.
With his mount, small size and the sand shaper prestige class, I'm expecting to do quite a bit of close range fighting, maneuvering and in some cases summoning (getting SM3+)

Blackhawk748
2015-01-12, 09:08 PM
In that case get Evocation, theres a lot of good spells from Sandshaper there.

Rebel7284
2015-01-12, 09:41 PM
Plenty of conjuration things have a duration which depends on caster level. I would go with that.

AnonymousPepper
2015-01-12, 10:32 PM
A lot of Transmutation buffs benefit heavily from an increase in caster level - Haste and Fly, for example - as well as its blasts - looking at you, Disintegrate!

I'd go with that personally.

Rebel7284
2015-01-12, 10:37 PM
A lot of Transmutation buffs benefit heavily from an increase in caster level - Haste and Fly, for example - as well as its blasts - looking at you, Disintegrate!

I'd go with that personally.

Are there actually any other blasts in the school outside of Disintegrate?

AnonymousPepper
2015-01-12, 10:46 PM
Are there actually any other blasts in the school outside of Disintegrate?

...now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I don't think it does, actually.

Plenty of SoDs, but I don't think CL matters for them except with regards to SR.

I more recommended Transmutation for the buffs anyway. If you want to go blasty blasty, pick Conjuration instead. Extra d6s on your Orb of X spells is a nice boon.