PDA

View Full Version : Fredmund and Kalojek IC

Relkin
2015-01-12, 10:05 PM
Chapter 1: The Fight to Reclaim Grabford

The year is 591 CY, 7 Years after the end of the Greyhawk wars. The land of Flanaess has changed much and many felt the terrors of the war, some more than others. In the North what's left of the Shield Lands is hardly something to boast about. Iuz conquered most of their land and fighting to reclaim it over the past few years has not ceased. Many small villages still dot the lands where they once stood. Unfortunately for them they are an easy target for raiding parties sent out by Iuz's empire. The Shield Lands can barely keep what little they have left, let alone set up anything to protect these villages and towns. The people of the land are left to defend themselves. One such city by the name of Grabford was recently attacked by one of these raiding parties. They were able to muster up the citizens and form a militia to fight back. The day belonged to Grabford and the militia was able to drive back Iuz's men. Alas they escaped into the sewer system which is linked to the towns water supply. Now the group of miscreants are controlling the city from below and no man or woman in the city is strong enough to go down and fight back. So the call came out, any who are willing to help. There won't be much to offer for riches, but they call to the men who one protected this land and can still fight for what is right. The ones who knew what this beautiful land once looked like. Who will answer the call?

You begin your approach to Grabford about midday/early evening, about 3:00 pm. It is early spring and the air still has a cool breeze to it even with the sun just beginning to descend into its home behind the mountains. Looking up the road ahead you find the gates to the city closed. If that's what you want to call them, the city is not a very large one and it's walls are barely stonework. Not to mention the losses suffered from the raid. Portions are missing along the wall as you gaze along it. Just one guard can be spotted in a makeshift tower looking out past the gate. His gaze is set on the you both as you descend closer to the city from the south west.

http://render.fineartamerica.com/images/images-stretched-canvas-search/15.00/15.00/black/break/images-medium/wooden-gate-andersen-ross.jpg
As you draw closer you can begin to make out the man watching, or at least you thought to be a man. He is just a kid, no older than 13 years, with a spear almost twice as tall as he. His face is gaunt and weak, though he stands confidant and firm. To the trained eye it is all just a show, the kid is as nervous as can be. Within fifty feet he calls out to the party:

"HALT! Don't come any closer or I'll throw my spear at you!" The boy seems easily agitated and weary.

Tier once again
2015-01-19, 12:45 AM
"Boy do you know who you are addressing?" My squire, Wes, states loudly as he cantors is horse ahead of the group. "Your lucky i don't strike you down were you stand." Despite being only a year older his experience during the war and routing bandits after, makes him seem a decade older. It makes a stark difference between the two.

"Easy Wes, I know it was a hard ride but a knight must remain cordial despite the heat, the journey," a scowl of dismay flashed across my face,"and the dirt." Looking to the scared young man as i flash my heart melting smile. We have heard of your trouble's and have come to help. So rest easy denne gutt."

Relkin
2015-01-20, 01:52 PM
The young boy obviously taken aback by the squires words lifts up the spear almost to throw in a boiling rage, but that rage is soon quelled by the words of Fredmund. "We have heard of your trouble's and have come to help. So rest easy denne gutt." The boy looks on at the group in a suspicious manner before disappearing behind the wall. Fredmund and Kolojek can faintly hear some voices being thrown around before ultimately the gates open. Out comes a tall well built man as well as two other guards, one being the boy. They boy comes off completely different now and seems much more confident than before. The Guard Captain stands tall and strides out to greet the travelers.

"I'm told you are here to help. The gods know we could use it. I apologize for the poor hospitality, but I'm sure you could all understand that times are hard from the war, as well as trust. His eyes glance back to the squire. His face then grows weary and it is clear that this man, as well as this town has been through much. "We don't have much to offer, heck there really isn't even a reward... But if you are willing to help, this land would always be in your debt." He looks to the party expectedly. Obviously referring to the notice sent out about their situation.

Dr.Samurai
2015-01-21, 11:53 PM
Kalo's stomach growls as they approach the gates of Grabford, A warm meal will be a welcome change of pace. The rations are handy for what they do, but damn do I need some regular food!

As they reach the gates, they are met by an eager young man guarding the way into Grabford, HALT! Don't come any closer or I'll throw my spear at you!

Kalo stifles a laugh. The boy is clearly frightened, but has the muster to do his job well enough. The former lord of Freehold is about to ease the young man's worries when Fredmund's squire Wes interjects, Boy do you know who you are addressing? You're lucky I don't strike you down were you stand.

This time, Kalo does laugh. A loud, raucous, barking laugh. Yes. I imagine a good deal of luck would be needed were you to strike that young man down where he stands. Fredmund gives Kalo a sidelong glance, and Kalo can almost see a note of disapproval. But the holy knight looks back at his squire, Easy Wes, I know it was a hard ride but a knight must remain cordial despite the heat, the journey, and the dirt.

To the young guard he says, We have heard of your troubles and have come to help. So rest easy denne gutt.

The boy leaves through the gate, but not before flashing the men his most suspicious glare. The boy's got guts.

He doesn't leave Kalo and Fredmund waiting long. Soon enough, the boy returns with who can only be the guard captain, I'm told you are here to help. The gods know we could use it. I apologize for the poor hospitality, but I'm sure you could all understand that times are hard from the war, as well as trust. We don't have much to offer, heck there really isn't even a reward... But if you are willing to help, this land would always be in your debt.

Kalo flashes his best smile, Splendid, for I am eager to make your land indebted to me! But I fear there is little we can do from out here. Shall we enter?

Tier once again
2015-01-22, 04:51 PM
"I agree my friend, come lets us rest, these days of hard riding have not been kind." Fredmund states, looking towards Kalojek, as he trots his horse forward. Bringing his attention to the men waiting at the gates. "It would be the God's blessed relief if you could point the way to the nearest inn. My horses needs are weary and my men could use the rest"
Grumbling under his breath, Wes begins to lead his horse forward as well followed dutifully by the Fredmund's servants.
As he passes under the gate Fredmund begins to relay orders to his retainers "Jeg vil du skal se hester, pensle dem og stabil dem. Deretter tar dette, og få de beste He says as he hands his groom a small coin purse from his belt. "To rom og middag for Wes og dere selv. Jeg vil spise senere etter at jeg snakke med Kapteinen og lære om situasjonen."
The groom nods up and down as he listens to the order."Ja Herre, vil jeg sette opp rommet ditt og ha mat forberedt på når du ankommer." With a small flick of his reins he begins to lead his horse forward into the small town.
"god" Fredmund says he casually flicks a strand of crimson hair from in front of his violet eyes to behind his ear."Now then Kapteinen please tell us everything you know about the bandits. "

Relkin
2015-01-24, 02:34 PM
The Fredmund and Kalo are taken care of as best as the city can offer. Their horses are set up in the stable and the captain takes them through the streets to explain the cities story. As they walk through the streets it is clear that this city has been plagued by a drought. The confusing part of it is that they are situated near a river. The Guard Captain explains that the bandits fled to the sewers which controls the irrigation system that the city uses. Since then they have barely been able to get a lick of water, hence the gaunt look in everyones faces. Times have been rough and frankly the city guard can barely remember how many bandits are even left. All they know is that when they originally sent down an expedition team of 4 to clear out the sewers they were met with fierce opposition and have yet to return. The Captain asks for you two to keep an eye out for his men down there. He ends the tour the only inn left in town. A nights rest on the city. "Tomorrow meet me in the southern sector of the city. I will lead you to the entrance into the sewers. Rest up well for now, and our thanks are with you." With that he turns on his heel and walks out of the inn, shutting it behind him.

Dr.Samurai
2015-01-25, 12:48 AM
Kalojek orders a meal and a drink from one of the serving wenches and takes a seat, comfortable enough to be off the back of the horse, What are the odds any of his men are still down there? he says to Fredmund as he takes note of the other patrons in the inn. Seems mighty odd they'd keep four grown men around all fed and watered for nothing.

Tier once again
2015-01-27, 04:55 PM
What are the odds any of his men are still down there? Seems mighty odd they'd keep four grown men around all fed and watered for nothing.
As Kalojek orders his food, Fredmund's servant's set a tray down with a steaming bowl of stew and a mug of frothy ale, before settling down and eating their own food.
"Well during the war it was common to hold hostages for ransom, so it's still within the realm of possibility, But seeing the state of this town money obviously isn't something they have. So yes they are most likely dead. "

Relkin
2015-02-05, 09:00 PM
Fredmund and Kalojek make pleasantries before turning in for the night. Upon morning they make their way over to the guard captain in the southern section of the city. There he explains of only one entrance into the sewer which he gestures towards. With that he hands them a map of the sewers and sends them off. Fredmund and Kalojek descend down into the sewer, leaving behind their horses and companions. Below they find themselves in a smaller room with torches lit in the wall sconces. At the southern end of the smaller room is a doorway entering into an open corridor. The two can hear the faint sound of water flowing and pretty quickly they can smell it. It is very quiet in the room and halls, seemingly too quiet for a bandit hideout..

*Map* (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnXR1JWBz1YWdHBBVTd3cVp4ZnVIS3pwT2tiWjdoV kE&pli=1)

Tier once again
2015-02-06, 06:57 PM
Standing still a moment Fredmund closes his eyes and breathes deep, letting all of the smells and sounds swirl about within him. He began the first steps to the battle meditation that had been instilled into his very bones by the swordmaster at his family's keep.
[roll0] <--wisdom roll to center body
[roll1] <--- religion roll to center his soul
Then after harmonizing his spirit and his faith, he went to the edge of the hallway, silently drawing his longsword and readying his shield.
He slowly leaned out looking, down the hall. and looked on.
Perception
<0 0> [roll2]

Relkin
2015-02-09, 02:21 PM
Fredmund leans into the hallway and glances both ways. He see's out into the sewers and notices that the map does a pretty good job outlining everything. Unfortunately there is little light and after a few feet it grows too dark for him to see out. It looks like it is a narrow pathway where he is currently and him and Kalojek would have to walk single file.

Dr.Samurai
2015-02-09, 08:30 PM
Kalojek brushes past Fredmund as he takes a moment to meditate. The former bandit king shakes his head at this friend, but stops on one of the crossways and waits for the paladin to finish. When Fredmund opens his eyes again, Kalojek moves to the corner of the walkway, getting a better look at the inner area of the sewers proper.

Relkin
2015-02-10, 10:13 AM
Kalojek brazenly walks past Fredmund and crosses the sewer by way of the bridge. He steps out to the corner of the walkway about as far as he can see from the light still coming from the entrance chambers. He can't see much but listening her can here the scurry of rats back and forth. It would be a good idea to light some light it seems, unless one can see In the dark. It's clear that they are so far alone down here.

*Map* (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnXR1JWBz1YWdHBBVTd3cVp4ZnVIS3pwT2tiWjdoV kE&pli=1#gid=0)

Tier once again
2015-02-11, 05:56 PM
"You know my friend, the Gods watch over us every day. Keeping us safe and bestowing favor on those who pray, so again i'll ask is it such a bad thing to honor them? " Fredmund says bringing up the old argument once again. He heads to stand next to Kalo, bringing out their map. "I think that we should head here first."he points to one of the rooms down the hall. then carry on to this area over here."
the E-K area then the Ab to AD area.
As he looks to Kalo for agreement he rolls the map back up and replaces it with a torch from the small bag slung across his back. He lights it off of Kalo's torch and looks down the dark rat infested sewer.
"Og selv om han en Prins av kongelig blod og edel karakter, Falt i trinn og strod gjennom møkk og skitt som en hvilken som helst vanlig soldat." he says as his voice takes on a slight sing-song quantity and as he ends with a smirk and side-long glance at Kalojak.
"Ancient Soluise King and poet. Well i'm sure i don't need to tell you, i know you've memorized all of them."

Relkin
2015-02-12, 12:55 PM
With light the sewers are for the first time in a long while, illuminated. The two can see wall sconces lining the walls every 20 feet. From their vantage point they can make out pretty deep into the corners of the sewers. Still not enough light to tell what's really going on deep into the sewers. The water is stagnant and gross. Fredmund glances down and notices a form rising up from beneath the murky waters. A long thin shaft rises out first and then the back of what looks like a man, probably one of the guards that the captain lost. Before they can investigate further Kalojek notices movement just out of the shadows across the way from him, south east, and it is larger than a rat. In a few moments after he registers the movement he hears the draw of a bow as an unknown assailant takes aim. THWAK! An arrow wizzes by and hits the wall next to him. It seems the two heroes aren't alone....
After Fredmund finishes his poem he can also here some movement around the corner of them. Enemies are slowly encroaching on the party.

The movement was near Z 28 and AA 28. Initiative hasn't started yet and I wanted you guys to get an action in first before things start rolling. So far nothing or no one is in view yet.

*Map* (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnXR1JWBz1YWdHBBVTd3cVp4ZnVIS3pwT2tiWjdoV kE&pli=1#gid=0)

Tier once again
2015-02-12, 05:47 PM
"The nerve launching an arrow at a poet mid sentence." Fredmund states as he calmly switches the torch to his dominant hand and readies his shield.

Dr.Samurai
2015-02-12, 07:53 PM
"You know my friend, the Gods watch over us every day. Keeping us safe and bestowing favor on those who pray, so again i'll ask is it such a bad thing to honor them? " Fredmund says bringing up the old argument once again. He heads to stand next to Kalo, bringing out their map. "I think that we should head here first." he points to one of the rooms down the hall. "then carry on to this area over here."

Kalo gives Fredmund a sidelong glance as he continues looking out for any signs of movement or activity, Why don't you remove your armor and shield and see how safe and favorable you remain rooting out these bandits down here? He takes a few steps back to meet up with Fredmund and peruse the map, Alright then. We do this proper.

Fredmund rolls the map back up and replaces it with a torch from the small bag slung across his back. He lights it off of Kalo's torch and looks down the dark rat infested sewer. "Og selv om han en Prins av kongelig blod og edel karakter, Falt i trinn og strod gjennom møkk og skitt som en hvilken som helst vanlig soldat." he says as his voice takes on a slight sing-song quantity and as he ends with a smirk and side-long glance at Kalojak. "Ancient Soluise King and poet. Well i'm sure i don't need to tell you, i know you've memorized all of them."

Kalo chuckles, You mistake me for your whipping boy Wesley. I have no need to memorize your fancy songs, no matter how badly you want me to sing you to sleep at night. Wait, Kalojoek says, raising a fist, guard. Dead. The two watch as the corpse floats on by, an arrow in the back indicating the man's cause of death. It would seem tha--- Kalo is cut off by an arrow ricocheting off the wall beside him, Damn bandits! he cries out in surprise. He quickly pushes back against Fredmund to gain cover from the wall.

Looks like the ****e around here isn't only in the water! he calls out around the corner, regaining his composure, Whoever shot that arrow should give up the archer's life and join a nunnery! He points toward the direction he believes the arrow had been fired from, a patch of shadows he had seen movement in a second before the shot went off. That didn't take long, he whispers to his comrade, We'll be home in time for Wesley to feed you your supper! He hunkers back against the wall, waiting for the right moment to move in.

Action - Dodge.