PDA

View Full Version : Spell Casting: Do I apply Proficiency Bonus?

Varok Frenzyhea
2015-01-12, 10:28 PM
Lvl 4 Cleric (+2 Proficiency Bonus) with +4 Wis Modifier, and I cast "Guiding Bolt", do I do 4d6+6 (+2 Prof. Bonus & +4 Wis Mod)? Or Is it just a 4d6?
Same example, but with Cure Wounds; "A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier" (5e P.H.B.) Do I add the proficiency bonus to that as well? Being 1d8+6 (+4 from Wis Mod and +2 from Proficiency Mod), or is it 1d8+4 (+4 Wis Mod)?

Marcelinari
2015-01-12, 10:34 PM
Lvl 4 Cleric (+2 Proficiency Bonus) with +4 Wis Modifier, and I cast "Guiding Bolt", do I do 4d6+6 (+2 Prof. Bonus & +4 Wis Mod)? Or Is it just a 4d6?
Same example, but with Cure Wounds; "A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier" (5e P.H.B.) Do I add the proficiency bonus to that as well? Being 1d8+6 (+4 from Wis Mod and +2 from Proficiency Mod), or is it 1d8+4 (+4 Wis Mod)?

Simple answer; when it comes to spell effects, don't assume it does anything more than what it says. Guiding Bolt does 4d6, not 4d6+proficiency+ability. Likewise, CLW heals 1d8+Ability, and your proficiency is a separate modifier to your ability.

Specifically, Guiding bolt is a d20+6 to hit, and does 4d6 damage. Cure Wounds is... well it's technically also d20+6 to hit, but it's not like anyone tries to dodge it. Doesn't even damage undead. It also heals 1d8+4 damage.

KhorashIronfist
2015-01-12, 10:34 PM
Proficiency bonus applies only to d20 rolls, ie to hit, not damage.

Varok Frenzyhea
2015-01-12, 10:41 PM
Simple answer; when it comes to spell effects, don't assume it does anything more than what it says. Guiding Bolt does 4d6, not 4d6+proficiency+ability. Likewise, CLW heals 1d8+Ability, and your proficiency is a separate modifier to your ability.

Specifically, Guiding bolt is a d20+6 to hit, and does 4d6 damage. Cure Wounds is... well it's technically also d20+6 to hit, but it's not like anyone tries to dodge it. Doesn't even damage undead. It also heals 1d8+4 damage.

So you do NOT add Proficiency Bonus to a a spell for Hit, Damage or healing purposes?

bastyon
2015-01-12, 10:43 PM
Normally ability modifiers are strictly your stat bonus and not your proficiency modifier. In this case it would be just the wisdom modifier added to damage. If they intend to have you add the proficiency modifier they note it. Easiest place to see the seperation is in the save DC and Attack DC for clerics were it is broken out.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

You only add ability and prof bonuses to damage if the spell description says to do so

Same for a paladin swinging a sword d20+ prof+ ability to hit.... damage is 2d6 (greatsword) plus ability (never adds prof bonus to damage)
Monsters are the same way

Gnomes2169
2015-01-12, 10:59 PM
So you do NOT add Proficiency Bonus to a a spell for Hit, Damage or healing purposes?

You add it ONLY to hit. Damage and healing are unmodified by proficiency.

Varok Frenzyhea
2015-01-12, 11:01 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

Lonely Tylenol
2015-01-12, 11:54 PM
To pullet point it a bit:
- You add both your ability modifier and your proficiency bonus to hit with a spell attack, and to the save DC of a spell.
- You add neither your ability modifier nor your proficiency bonus to damage, healing, or other effects, unless specified otherwise by a spell (Cure Wounds adds ability modifier to healing) or class ability (the Agonizing Blast invocation of the Warlock and the Empowered Evocation feature of evoker Wizards both add the class's respective ability modifiers to damage: Cha to Eldritch Blast for the former, and Int to Wizard evocations for the latter).