PDA

View Full Version : Travel around cleaving cats

Suzaku
2007-04-01, 06:56 PM
I remember reading a joke that Fighter or someone with great cleave could travel around the world by cleaving a bunch of cats in six seconds. I was wondering how is it possible seeing as you can't move 5 feet when you great cleave.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-01, 07:01 PM
Supreme Cleave is an ability that lets you 5-foot-step between cleaves.

broderickdruce
2007-04-01, 07:01 PM
I believe it was in reference to Supreme Cleave. A feature of the Samurai PrC and a few others.

Edit: Ninja'd

The Glyphstone
2007-04-01, 07:03 PM
Wasn't that in 3.0?

The Frenzied Berzerker has a Supreme Cleave ability, but it doesn't allow more than 1 such step per round.

Behold_the_Void
2007-04-01, 07:31 PM
And even then it's highly unrealistic to expect that there's a line of cats or other such mooks lined up in a row around the world for you to cleave through, not to mention rolling a 1 will end the cleave, which will happen eventually.

Seffbasilisk
2007-04-01, 07:37 PM
With a chain of commoners and you intentionally failing grapple checks you can be passed around the globe in less then six seconds with proper coordination.

martyboy74
2007-04-01, 07:40 PM
You can also travel around the world by mounting and then dismounting and then mounting and the dismounting etc. a line of horses.

A line of commoners circling the planet could pass a quarterstaff/gnome around the world at infininite speed.

Quarterstaves cost nothing, so therefore take no time to make, and take no materials. Thus, you can create quarterstaves out of thin air infinitely fast. Preferably above someone.

Sardia
2007-04-01, 09:52 PM
You can also travel around the world by mounting and then dismounting and then mounting and the dismounting etc. a line of horses.

The chafing, however, will be unthinkable.

brian c
2007-04-02, 01:37 AM

A line of commoners circling the planet could pass a quarterstaff/gnome around the world at infininite speed.

Quarterstaves cost nothing, so therefore take no time to make, and take no materials. Thus, you can create quarterstaves out of thin air infinitely fast. Preferably above someone.

But quarterstaves only cost nothing because you can just take a tree branch; you can pick one out of the air, assuming you're under a tree.

Kultrum
2007-04-02, 01:45 AM
if you had a whip dagger, and supreme cleave you could, in theory kill 24 cats (or elven commoners)/ round

Kultrum
2007-04-02, 01:49 AM
the average elven commoner has 3 hp and a +1 reflex save, fire deals 1d6/ round and a dc15 reflex save to not catch on fire. Therefore a forest fire can kill all the non-important elves in a city

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-02, 02:23 AM
Ooh! Ooh!
Distant Shot + Fling Ally or Really Throw Anything.
"I'm going to Betelgeuse! In three seconds!"

Jalil
2007-04-02, 02:32 AM
'Hugging your friends lets you move faster'

FACT:
You and five buddies start grappling. Taking turns, you all fail your grapple checks, letting the winner move the mob at half speed in a direction. you move 15' north. You all do that, yielding 15*6=90' movement per 6 seconds. Not quite as fast as running, but you can do it all day, which makes it better than a hustle.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-02, 03:55 AM
Actually not even 3.0 Supreme Cleave allowed you to make more than a single five foot step. It was just really poorly worded.

Edo
2007-04-02, 04:20 AM
Screw all the rules about 5' steps.

The plan doesn't work because, while you're setting it up, Bast will detect something that's going to affect 500+ felines and foil you somehow.

martyboy74
2007-04-02, 06:17 AM
But quarterstaves only cost nothing because you can just take a tree branch; you can pick one out of the air, assuming you're under a tree.
That's a house rule. Not a bad one, but still a house rule.

Jannex
2007-04-02, 06:46 AM
Screw all the rules about 5' steps.

The plan doesn't work because, while you're setting it up, Bast will detect something that's going to affect 500+ felines and foil you somehow.

Not to mention,

"I would like to see anyone--prophet, king, or god--convince a thousand cats to do anything at the same time."

Spot the reference, win a cookie. :smallsmile:

Sir_Ophiuchus
2007-04-02, 07:38 AM
Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic book: "Dream of a Thousand Cats".

I like cookies. :D I also plan for the next character to die in my Call of Cthulhu game to be playing a cat next.

Dausuul
2007-04-02, 07:59 AM

Not really. A straight, balanced, seasoned piece of hardwood is not something you can make just by hacking off a branch. It takes skill, labor, and materials to make a quarterstaff, albeit not nearly as much as it takes to make a sword.

If you're trying for realism (catgirl scream), then quarterstaves ought to cost a few coppers at least. By the RAW, however, you can indeed conjure them out of thin air instantly with a DC 0 Craft check.

FACT:
You and five buddies start grappling. Taking turns, you all fail your grapple checks, letting the winner move the mob at half speed in a direction. you move 15' north. You all do that, yielding 15*6=90' movement per 6 seconds. Not quite as fast as running, but you can do it all day, which makes it better than a hustle.

Question. Can you, by RAW, voluntarily fail a grapple check? By a strict reading of the rules, I'm not sure you can.

Obviously, any reasonable DM would allow you to fail a grapple check if you chose, but then a reasonable DM would also refuse to let you pull any of this stuff.

Dervag
2007-04-02, 09:33 AM

FACT:
You and five buddies start grappling. Taking turns, you all fail your grapple checks, letting the winner move the mob at half speed in a direction. you move 15' north. You all do that, yielding 15*6=90' movement per 6 seconds. Not quite as fast as running, but you can do it all day, which makes it better than a hustle.I'm having trouble visualizing this.

What do you all do, link arms, form a ball, and roll in the appropriate direction?

martyboy74
2007-04-02, 09:41 AM
Nah, you link arms, and each of you drags all the others 15'.

Kiroho
2007-04-02, 11:01 AM
By the RAW, however, you can indeed conjure them out of thin air instantly with a DC 0 Craft check.

Great!! Never search for campfire wood again.

martyboy74
2007-04-02, 11:11 AM
Never buy 10' poles again. Buy a ladder, and break it apart. If you sell the poles, you can get NI gold.

brian c
2007-04-02, 11:55 AM
That's a house rule. Not a bad one, but still a house rule.

I suppose it isn't technically in RAW, but cmon, how else would something have a price of 0, unless it isn't something you have to buy?

Dausuul
2007-04-02, 12:14 PM
Never buy 10' poles again. Buy a ladder, and break it apart. If you sell the poles, you can get NI gold.

This assumes that breaking a 10' ladder apart results in two 10' poles, which is not in RAW. Logical, maybe, but we threw logic out the window at the start of this thread. :)

jjpickar
2007-04-02, 12:24 PM
Wasn't there a really annoying thread about breaking ladders a while back? Have we learned NOTHING?

Jannex
2007-04-02, 12:33 PM
*gives Sir Ophiuchus a cookie* Well done. :smallsmile:

Wasn't there a really annoying thread about breaking ladders a while back? Have we learned NOTHING?

There is no "learning" here! :smalltongue:

Kel_Arath
2007-04-03, 07:46 PM
232 cats in one round with supreme cleave, it would be alot more if i could have magic items for enlarge person and such but whateve, its cool
later scro's
(pm me if you want to know how i could off 232 cats in a round)