PDA

View Full Version : Favorite free rpg?

aspekt
2015-01-13, 02:55 AM
Just wondering what might be the top 3 favorite rpg's for forum dwellers here.

As of 15Jan2015 this what we have:

Fudge
Rivers and Lakes
Warrior Rogue Mage
Nemesis
Fate
Fate Accelerated
World of Darkness (Quickstart)
Lasers and Feelings
Eclipse Phase
GURPS Lite
After Sundown
Magical Burst
Mythender
Pathfinder/Mutants and Masterminds (SRD)
Pokethulhu
3.5 / d20 (SRD)
Dungeons: the Dragoning
GHOST/ECHO
Lady Blackbird
Risus
Mini-six
Dungeon World
One Deck Engine (ODE)
Hackmaster Basic
OSRIC
Gold 'n Glory
The Regiment: Colonial Marines
Capes Lite
Dungeons and Dragons, 5e, Basic Rules
Pathfinder (SRD)
Wuthering Heights
Pokemon Tabletop United
Pokemon Tabletop Adventures
Everyone Is John

Knaight
2015-01-13, 03:06 AM
1) Fudge (http://www.fudgerpg.com/goodies/fudge-files/core/FUDGE-1995-Edition-%28PDF%29/). There is a commercial version, but the free version is a complete game. It's not just my favorite free RPG either - it's my favorite RPG, and the one that I've played more than all others combined. It's everything good about GURPS, without all the GURPSness.

2 & 3) There's a very large class of games which temporarily occupy these spots, both of which are really distant in favoritism from Fudge. The big ones, that have seen actual use:

Rivers and Lakes: It's a wuxia game with some interesting concepts. It doesn't suit my GMing style all that well, but it would be fun to play, and some of the concepts can be stolen and put in other games.

Warrior, Rogue, and Mage: Basically, this is a very light version of D&D, that I generally break out whenever I want to GM a D&D style game (which is pretty rarely), but don't actually want to deal with D&D (more or less always).

Then there's Nemesis. It hasn't seen use, but other ORE games have, and Nemesis is the free, easiest to learn one. It's a fantastic engine, and I strongly suspect that the Nemesis implementation is a fantastic game.

aspekt
2015-01-13, 03:27 AM
Ya I saw the core free version of Fudge, but I'm pretty happy with my purchase of the hardback.

SiuiS
2015-01-13, 03:39 AM
FATE is good.

World of darkness is probably my top one. It doesn't seem free, but both the core rules and the 2.0 update are freely available, one as a 'learn to play' set up that includes the core rules and the other as a 'preview', both on drivethrurpg.com.

... That's all I've for actually. L

aspekt
2015-01-13, 04:00 AM
FATE is good.

World of darkness is probably my top one. It doesn't seem free, but both the core rules and the 2.0 update are freely available, one as a 'learn to play' set up that includes the core rules and the other as a 'preview', both on drivethrurpg.com.

... That's all I've for actually. L

Didn't realize that about WoD. I'll have to check that out.

In related news, drivethru has a couple of starter Call of Cthulu freebies.

Knaight
2015-01-13, 04:17 AM
Ya I saw the core free version of Fudge, but I'm pretty happy with my purchase of the hardback.

I played with the core version for years before getting the hardback, and I actually still mostly use stuff from the core (plus house rules, player made stuff, etc. because Fudge is the sort of system where that stuff is really abundant).

I still have no regrets. I also have no regrets about getting Terra Incognita, which is Fudge based.

golentan
2015-01-13, 06:44 AM
Eclipse phase.

Mostly for the setting and design inspirations, not necessarily for the mechanics, which can get fiddly.

But any system I can use to play John Varley's invaderverse has a point in my benefit.

neonchameleon
2015-01-13, 06:52 AM
Fate Core
Lasers and Feelings
Eclipse Phase

Thinker
2015-01-13, 07:50 AM
GURPS Lite

Raine_Sage
2015-01-13, 11:27 AM
Magical Burst: Play as magical girls in a grim setting. Inspired heavily by, but not exclusively by, madoka magica.

After Sundown: Kind of like if world of darkness had a baby with shadowrun mechanics wise. Setting wise you play as modern day monsters. Ostensably supposed to be horror, but very open to just about any style of play.

aspekt
2015-01-13, 01:58 PM
Interesting stuff. I'm trawling through drivethru right now. This is my first time checking out free rpg's. So this list helps. Hopefully others will find it useful as well.

Kid Jake
2015-01-13, 02:33 PM
Mythender: Punch Neptune so hard that he breaks into a dozen smaller, angrier gods; drink the sea out from under him and shout your defiance with such conviction that the moon itself tumbles out of orbit and crushes your foe. Then move on to round two.

Pathfinder/Mutants and Masterminds: Everything you need to play is right there in their respective SRDs so I'd say they qualify; both of them are highly entertaining systems.

Pokethulu: 10 year olds pitting eldritch abominations against each other for fun and profit, what's not to love?

aspekt
2015-01-13, 09:04 PM
Mythender: Punch Neptune so hard that he breaks into a dozen smaller, angrier gods; drink the sea out from under him and shout your defiance with such conviction that the moon itself tumbles out of orbit and crushes your foe. Then move on to round two.

Pathfinder/Mutants and Masterminds: Everything you need to play is right there in their respective SRDs so I'd say they qualify; both of them are highly entertaining systems.

Pokethulu: 10 year olds pitting eldritch abominations against each other for fun and profit, what's not to love?

I MUST have this Pokethulu!

Kid Jake
2015-01-13, 09:28 PM
Here ya go (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm), it's worth reading even if you never get around to playing it.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-13, 09:50 PM
3.5 of course. I wish more than just the SRD was free but that's life, right?

aspekt
2015-01-14, 12:21 AM
Here ya go (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm), it's worth reading even if you never get around to playing it.

Pokenomicon? I think I'm in love.

True. An absolute classic IMO.

aspekt
2015-01-14, 04:27 AM
Fate Core
Lasers and Feelings
Eclipse Phase

Only Eclipse Phase I could find for free was an abbreviated "quickstart" pack on drivthru. Was this the one you meant?

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/87622/Eclipse-Phase-QuickStart-Rules

golentan
2015-01-14, 04:35 AM
Only Eclipse Phase I could find for free was an abbreviated "quickstart" pack on drivthru. Was this the one you meant?

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/87622/Eclipse-Phase-QuickStart-Rules

Here's (https://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/) a link to pretty much all the book that I think are out currently, released as pdfs under a creative commons license. (http://www.eclipsephase.com/cclicense) They ask that if you like what you see that you chip some money their way, by actually buying the books (hardcopy or PDF, whatever's convenient for you) hence the full price in stores like drivethrurpg.

Dhavaer
2015-01-14, 06:02 AM
Dungeons: the Dragoning. How can you go past that name?

Thinker
2015-01-14, 09:04 AM
Interesting stuff. I'm trawling through drivethru right now. This is my first time checking out free rpg's. So this list helps. Hopefully others will find it useful as well.

Could you update the first post with a list of what's been posted? It would be easier for people just joining the thread and prevent repeats.

Vhaidara
2015-01-14, 11:14 AM

The SRD and any of the Wizards articles, which include things like the complete Warblade and its disciplines.

aspekt
2015-01-14, 12:09 PM
Could you update the first post with a list of what's been posted? It would be easier for people just joining the thread and prevent repeats.

Good idea.

Beta Centauri
2015-01-14, 12:16 PM
Fate Core, yes. I'll put Fate Accelerated with that.

GHOST/ECHO. Fits on two sides of a sheet of paper.

I think Lady Blackbird will be my third, if I ever get a chance to play it.

aspekt
2015-01-14, 12:30 PM
Here's (https://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/) a link to pretty much all the book that I think are out currently, released as pdfs under a creative commons license. (http://www.eclipsephase.com/cclicense) They ask that if you like what you see that you chip some money their way, by actually buying the books (hardcopy or PDF, whatever's convenient for you) hence the full price in stores like drivethrurpg.

Thanks, so much stuff there.

Delwugor
2015-01-14, 12:33 PM
1. Fate Core, but just to be strange, I really don't like Fate Accelerated much.
2. Lady Blackbird, nothing but exciting fun
3. Risus, it just works very well.
4. Mini-Six, the small redheaded step child of d6, but what a good game.

1337 b4k4
2015-01-14, 12:50 PM
I have to say for dungeon crawling, Dungeon World. I've seen it described (and I mostly agree) as "everything you thought D&D would be before you read the rules"

For space, as much as Eclipse Phase has an awesome setting, I still think Traveller beats it out for a favorite system. Something about that class 70's space opera.

golentan
2015-01-14, 01:04 PM
I have to say for dungeon crawling, Dungeon World. I've seen it described (and I mostly agree) as "everything you thought D&D would be before you read the rules"

For space, as much as Eclipse Phase has an awesome setting, I still think Traveller beats it out for a favorite system. Something about that class 70's space opera.

I too prefer traveller to eclipse phase, but it's not free as far as I know, which kind of disqualifies it for the thread...

Grinner
2015-01-14, 01:06 PM
I too prefer traveller to eclipse phase, but it's not free as far as I know, which kind of disqualifies it for the thread...

Isn't there a Traveller SRD?

Beta Centauri
2015-01-14, 01:16 PM
Isn't there a Traveller SRD? Yes, but it lacks a great deal of what's necessary to make characters. Probably other things, too.

I've been given the impression that the Dungeon World SRD is also a bit limited. I haven't delved into it yet. I'm told the most important part of the game is the GMing section, so if that's not included it would make actually running the game correctly a challenge. And it does take a particular GMing style.

golentan
2015-01-14, 01:20 PM
Isn't there a Traveller SRD?

There is, but it's not really got everything you need to play unless you're already familiar. You can choose from the available careers of scout, scout, or perhaps scout, but they don't have the Other Benefits table so I hope you like cash (who doesn't, but it's a really bad table once you've got enough to put together a basic kit and personal effects compared to getting ship shares or TAS membership). There are rules for designing spacecraft, but no example craft. Same for nonhumans. There only have a handful of trade goods listed for free traders to take advantage of.

I think they also released SRD... expansions? based on High Guard and Mercenary, so you can roll up characters with a more traditional military career, but doctors, merchants, all sorts of other careers just aren't available.

You really need the core book. It's worth the investment. The SRD is just kinda sad...

1337 b4k4
2015-01-14, 01:46 PM

Ah true true. I forget that traveller isn't normally free. Every now and then (usually around the holiday) Starter Traveller (basically Classic, rebundled) goes free on RPG Now, which is how I wound up with mine.

I've been given the impression that the Dungeon World SRD is also a bit limited. I haven't delved into it yet. I'm told the most important part of the game is the GMing section, so if that's not included it would make actually running the game correctly a challenge. And it does take a particular GMing style.

I can't speak to the SRD, but the full rules are available here (http://book.dwgazetteer.com/) in HTML form. If anything, I think it's the fact that the GM section is so ... unlike ... other RPG GM sections that it seems almost incomplete. Reading the Dungeon World guide that some fans put together really helps solidify things.

aspekt
2015-01-14, 01:51 PM
Ah true true. I forget that traveller isn't normally free. Every now and then (usually around the holiday) Starter Traveller (basically Classic, rebundled) goes free on RPG Now, which is how I wound up with mine.

I can't speak to the SRD, but the full rules are available here (http://book.dwgazetteer.com/) in HTML form. If anything, I think it's the fact that the GM section is so ... unlike ... other RPG GM sections that it seems almost incomplete. Reading the Dungeon World guide that some fans put together really helps solidify things.

Sadly the page you linked states that the author/editor is still formatting/making changes.

aspekt
2015-01-14, 02:37 PM
Sadly the page you linked states that the author/editor is still formatting/making changes.

Anyone have any experience with:

Stars Without Number?

Knaight
2015-01-14, 04:08 PM

Stars Without Number?

I've read it, I got it as part of some huge bundle. I haven't played it or done any real analysis, but it very much didn't catch my interest.

1337 b4k4
2015-01-14, 05:18 PM

Pay no attention to the sign reading "Beware the leopard". Rest assured all the rules are there within the menu system at the top of the page.

Stars Without Number?

From my read through (have not played) it's basically basic D&D (0e not 5e) in space. It does Space Opera adequately, but not superbly and how much you like it will probably largely depend on if you like D&D style combat in your space games. It would be a great choice for a group that wants a space adventure, is familiar with D&D conceits and can not (or is unwilling) to devote the time to learning a different system.

aspekt
2015-01-14, 06:30 PM
Okay, good to hear. I'll tag in Dungeon World to the list.

If the rules for DW are available free are the rules for Apocalypse World also? I thought DW was based on AW.

As for space combat is Eclipse Phase the goto free product for that?

LibraryOgre
2015-01-14, 07:14 PM
A bit biased, but I have a soft spot for ODE (http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2013/08/ode-one-deck-engine.html).

I'll also mention a couple retroclones... OSRIC and Gold N' Glory... that are sentimental loves of mine.

Hackmaster Basic (http://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/) is a great free intro to Hackmaster.

aspekt
2015-01-14, 07:34 PM
A bit biased, but I have a soft spot for ODE (http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2013/08/ode-one-deck-engine.html).

I'll also mention a couple retroclones... OSRIC and Gold N' Glory... that are sentimental loves of mine.

Hackmaster Basic (http://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/) is a great free intro to Hackmaster.

ODE looks cool. I'll check that out. Thanks for the suggestions

LibraryOgre
2015-01-14, 07:54 PM
ODE looks cool. I'll check that out.

Thank you. Check the ODE tag; I fiddled about with some metagaming mechanics for it.

SiuiS
2015-01-14, 10:16 PM

Dungeon world is indeed exactly that; the only downside is from just reading the rules, you don't get a good feel of how to keep a campaign rolling beyond some sessions. That's a player issue though; you don't actually need to worry about that.

Indeed, this. I have that as a permanent tabun my other browser actually.

Okay, good to hear. I'll tag in Dungeon World to the list.

If the rules for DW are available free are the rules for Apocalypse World also? I thought DW was based on AW.

As for space combat is Eclipse Phase the goto free product for that?

Apocalypse world is deceptive. The player books are all you need to play. The DM book is strictly to calibrate assumptions and to dispel some misconceptions.

One of the things it establishes is that things you will be used to being constant in other games are not in this game. A weapon with the [messy] tag doesn't have a strictly defined effect. It's only important to remember that it being [measy] is narratively important.

neonchameleon
2015-01-15, 06:58 AM

The mechanical rules are (http://apocalypse-world.com/AW-basicplaybooks-legal.pdf). I wouldn't advise treating it as a free RPG unless you're familiar with a good example of the engine (and I don't consider DW to be one).

aspekt
2015-01-15, 09:15 AM
The mechanical rules are (http://apocalypse-world.com/AW-basicplaybooks-legal.pdf). I wouldn't advise treating it as a free RPG unless you're familiar with a good example of the engine (and I don't consider DW to be one).

Okay, ignorance on my part, but how are mechanical rules not the engine?

1of3
2015-01-15, 09:18 AM
Capes museoffire.com/Games

The free "light" version is pretty much the full game.

DonEsteban
2015-01-15, 10:17 AM
2. Lady Blackbird, nothing but exciting fun

So, I've been wondering: How did you actually play this? I mean, was it more than a one-shot? And the rules really seem quite ... incomplete. But I did find it intriguing. I've been tempted to try it several times, but I never had a clear vision how this would be like in play, so I never tried.

My top three would be (in no particular order)
Fate Core
D&D 5e
World of Darkness

That four? Sue me.

neonchameleon
2015-01-15, 12:10 PM

They are the engine. It's just a slightly odd engine to use until you're used to it.

aspekt
2015-01-15, 04:05 PM
They are the engine. It's just a slightly odd engine to use until you're used to it.

Gotcha, thanks.

aspekt
2015-01-15, 04:08 PM
So, I've been wondering: How did you actually play this? I mean, was it more than a one-shot? And the rules really seem quite ... incomplete. But I did find it intriguing. I've been tempted to try it several times, but I never had a clear vision how this would be like in play, so I never tried.

My top three would be (in no particular order)
Fate Core
D&D 5e
World of Darkness

That four? Sue me.

Hey if they're your favorite, then the more the merrier.

Psyren
2015-01-15, 04:10 PM
Pathfinder obviously but I am taking notes from this thread as well.

SiuiS
2015-01-15, 04:13 PM

Rules are a tool, not a game. A hammer is a hammer, not carpentry skill. Much like you could rig your existing, say, pipefitting skill to use carpentry tools for a carpentry project, you could grab dungeon world or apocalypse world and run them using your understanding of standard games.

They aren't designed for it though. They are designed to ignore the hiccups and stupidity of standard games, and playing them that way will just ruin it for you.

Let's say you're a warrior and you're fighting a dragon. The dragon has the tag [Inch thick iron Scales]. What does that mean? Well, nothing, everything. It means whatever the DM says it does in this instance. But it's not just armor. You can't just keep rolling to hit. If you attack the dragon, you don't touch dice for it. The DM says "your expert sword swings fall away, leaving dents of heroic depth in it's scales but no wounds" and then you roll to avoid harm as the dragon rips you a new one (the dragon doesn't roll; the DM never touches dice. Both "I do something" and "I avoid something happening to me" are player actions).

So you have to figure out I the fiction how to get past that tag. Maybe you need the steel-cutting sword? Maybe you need to find the dragon's weak spot like in it's mouth or the missing scale over it's heart? You use that, you establish in the fiction that you overcome the tag, and then you can fight the dragon; if you don't set up the story right, you have literally no chance. You're dead, suicide by dragon.

Most gamers? They won't get that. You need to know how to roll with the engine's assumptions and conceits. You need to understand the pacing, the intentions and all that.many things won't need a roll; many things won't be rolls. You can just walk into town and lay waste to the peasantry. They aren't foes. You don't roll. Not to kill; that would be, in apocalypse world, Going Aggro, and the roll doesn't do damage. It shows how freaked out everyone else is in response to the butchery you've done.

aspekt
2015-01-15, 04:19 PM
Rules are a tool, not a game. A hammer is a hammer, not carpentry skill. Much like you could rig your existing, say, pipefitting skill to use carpentry tools for a carpentry project, you could grab dungeon world or apocalypse world and run them using your understanding of standard games.

They aren't designed for it though. They are designed to ignore the hiccups and stupidity of standard games, and playing them that way will just ruin it for you.

Let's say you're a warrior and you're fighting a dragon. The dragon has the tag [Inch thick iron Scales]. What does that mean? Well, nothing, everything. It means whatever the DM says it does in this instance. But it's not just armor. You can't just keep rolling to hit. If you attack the dragon, you don't touch dice for it. The DM says "your expert sword swings fall away, leaving dents of heroic depth in it's scales but no wounds" and then you roll to avoid harm as the dragon rips you a new one (the dragon doesn't roll; the DM never touches dice. Both "I do something" and "I avoid something happening to me" are player actions).

So you have to figure out I the fiction how to get past that tag. Maybe you need the steel-cutting sword? Maybe you need to find the dragon's weak spot like in it's mouth or the missing scale over it's heart? You use that, you establish in the fiction that you overcome the tag, and then you can fight the dragon; if you don't set up the story right, you have literally no chance. You're dead, suicide by dragon.

Most gamers? They won't get that. You need to know how to roll with the engine's assumptions and conceits. You need to understand the pacing, the intentions and all that.many things won't need a roll; many things won't be rolls. You can just walk into town and lay waste to the peasantry. They aren't does. You don't roll. Not to kill; that would be, in apocalypse world, Going Aggro, and the roll doesn't do damage it shows how freaked out everyone else is in response to the butchery you've done.

That makes sense and helps me understand the previous post I quoted better. Thank you.

Glimbur
2015-01-16, 08:34 PM
I'm fond of Wuthering Heights (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html). It makes for an interesting convention one-shot to take gamers to a world where a sternly written letter or who you dance with first at the ball take the place of swords and fireballs. Or, if you get the players I do, the Civil War starts early, or the session ends in front of a burning tavern, or (often) the session ends with a trial. Very light rules, but amusing flavor.

aspekt
2015-01-16, 11:22 PM
I'm fond of Wuthering Heights (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html). It makes for an interesting convention one-shot to take gamers to a world where a sternly written letter or who you dance with first at the ball take the place of swords and fireballs. Or, if you get the players I do, the Civil War starts early, or the session ends in front of a burning tavern, or (often) the session ends with a trial. Very light rules, but amusing flavor.

This looks good for the setting. I am more of a Jane Austen fan, but looking over these rules I'm afraid they'd be more suited to "Jane Austen: Vampire Hunter" or something ;)

Glimbur
2015-01-17, 11:47 AM
Probably the most fun I have with the system is the Problem Table. 2-5 random problems that afflict each PC make for interesting issues. The rest of the rules are just there so you have a way to resolve when people try to kill each other; I generally don't call for many Despair checks though I probably should.

Sgt. Cookie
2015-01-17, 11:52 PM
Pokemon Tabletop United and Pokemon Tabletop Adventures, need spots too!

aspekt
2015-01-18, 12:55 AM
Probably the most fun I have with the system is the Problem Table. 2-5 random problems that afflict each PC make for interesting issues. The rest of the rules are just there so you have a way to resolve when people try to kill each other; I generally don't call for many Despair checks though I probably should.

But Despair checks sound sooo enticing. ^.^

aspekt
2015-01-18, 12:58 AM
Pokemon Tabletop United and Pokemon Tabletop Adventures, need spots too!

Thanks! Done and done.

The Glyphstone
2015-01-18, 01:07 AM
I've never gotten to play it, but I've always wanted to experience a game of Everyone Is John (http://pftdcast.com/resources/EveryoneIsJohn.pdf).

aspekt
2015-01-18, 04:06 PM
I've never gotten to play it, but I've always wanted to experience a game of Everyone Is John (http://pftdcast.com/resources/EveryoneIsJohn.pdf).

I have some friends that love Cards Against Humanity. I'm going to try to get them to play this. Thanks.

Knaight
2015-01-18, 04:09 PM
I have some friends that love Cards Against Humanity. I'm going to try to get them to play this. Thanks.

This sounds like an interesting interaction. Every time I've heard about Everyone is John being played, it ends up really dark because people take things like "eat human flesh" as their secret goal for the character.