PDA

View Full Version : DM Help White Dragonspawn (DLCS) template in 3.Pathfinder

AnonymousPepper
2015-01-13, 07:13 AM
3.PF game. Mid-high-power. Non-serious game in general. All settings explicitly exist and are connected via Sigil. Party as of now is a LG paladin of Asmodeus, NG human Oracle of Lathander, NG pixie Rogue, CG gnome Alchemist, and N elf Artificer.

We'll be adding a Warblade or Crusader (she hasn't decided yet), and she asked me about White Dragonspawn. She's a relatively (second campaign) new character, but she's relatively familiar with basic optimization).

Now, because this is 3.PF, and LA isn't a thing normally anyway, I had to implement LA in general - just use the already-existing 3.5 system, including buyoff. However, because the player races in general in PF are much, much stronger (especially aasimar, tieflings, and drow nobles), I elected to make one point of LA free.

The problem here arises with White Dragonspawn. I feel it's under-LA'd for its power level - ex flight, +2 to an ability score, and +7NA is pretty hefty. I'm not particularly comfortable with the idea of giving it away for free. So I was thinking about kicking it up to LA+2 (in other words, in my game, LA+1).

On the other hand, she's ultimately still playing a mundane at the end of the day, so I have to ask if that's particularly necessary in her case. It's not as though she's applying it to a high-power base chassis. I'd not hesitate if she was rolling up a Wizard.

Furthermore, the party's run into more than one NPC gunslinger bad guy (guns are common), and the primary enemies for much of the game have and will continue to be casters that target touch ACs, so natural armor isn't THAT good.

So I'm thinking I'd make it LA+2 for tier 2 and up, and LA+1 for tier 3 and below. It's certainly the type of game that that'd go over fine.

But I'm not certain, so I'm asking the Playground what they think.

atemu1234
2015-01-13, 07:59 AM
If you implement LA buyoff, then LA +1 for a PC is almost a speed bump. It's not going to really slow them down, just make it a annoying for a second.

Don't worry about the NA buff so much, because while at level one it makes them more difficult to hit (on average, 35% more difficult) things like spells tend to ignore armor class, especially natural armor and armor. By the time they reach third level, they'll be encountering things like Shadows, Orc Barbarians armed with Falchions, enough to make that little boost less game-breaking. By level ten, there's not much point in rolling anyway.