PDA

View Full Version : Vampire clues (Any system)

Jacque
2015-01-13, 07:23 AM
Hello Playground,

I am preparing an adventure which involves the investigation of curious events that all origins from vampire activities. I would really like the vampire clues to be subtle, and since I figured that some of you probably have some experience with vampire adventures, I would like to hear some of the clues that you have stumbled upon or used.

I think this question can span over most systems, but in case it is relevant, my particular adventure uses 2nd Edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay as system.

Thanks!

AstralFire
2015-01-13, 07:28 AM
Mirrors should be completely broken or curiously absent in places that would normally have them.

Khedrac
2015-01-13, 07:34 AM
Here are some off the top of my head:

1. There's a "disease" going round where people wake up short of breath (yes being anemic makes you short of breath due to lack of oxygen transport) and thirsty.
1.a A reasonably compentent medical-type has identified that the sufferers are all also anemic
1.b In the absence of anyone with medical knowledge, the sufferers all seem somewhat pale as well.

2. Unusual levels of wolf activity in the area

3. Unusual levels of bat activity and/or unusually large bats have been seen (fruit-bats?).

4. Local dogs are barking a lot at night, but no-one has observed who/what they are barking at.

5. The local vegetable store has been vandalised and a load of vegetable stocks have been destroyed or stolen (list includes, but is not limited to, garlic).

6. A lunatic has escaped from the local asylum and not been recaptured (had been babbling about "the master is coming").

Etc. - a lot depends on how intelligent the vampire is, and how willing it is to strike first at potential threats.

Yora
2015-01-13, 07:36 AM
Being names "Alucard" or "Dr. Acula" would be too obvious?

golentan
2015-01-13, 08:09 AM
Being names "Alucard" or "Dr. Acula" would be too obvious?

Name the experienced vampire hunter who shows up in town about the time the attacks start, stays in his room all day and doesn't let anyone including housekeeping in, and sits in the corner with brooding eyes watching over the other patrons of the pub while rebuffing social contact curtly but not completely "Vlad Tepes."

That ought to be good for at least one session of false leads.

Lathund
2015-01-13, 10:54 AM
How good are your players at picking up clues? Because that kinda matters for how clear you need to be in your hints. Things like garlic, bats, mirrors etc. are dead giveaways for some people, while for others, it's the level of obviousness needed to get the point across.

Your vampire has a need to feed. What happens to the victims? Do they go missing without a trace? Does he try to cover them up, resulting in an inexplicably high amount of wild animal attacks or other accidents? Or does the vampire feed but not kill, instead erasing the memory of his victims? Or is there a maybe secret cult of groupies who take turns to donate blood? Whatever angle you choose, it can lead to hints.

Segev
2015-01-13, 11:17 AM
Some local troublemakers have recently gone from mere layabout mischief to active vandalism, defacing the local church (and destroying its holy symbols), breaking most of the glass in town (which will mean fewer reflective surfaces), and overturning and robbing vegetable carts and digging up some crops (destroying garlic).

The really disturbing thing is that some travellers have been found dead outside town, mauled as if by wild animals. Including a peddler that the town had been expecting. The gang's been wailaying them and letting their new pet dog feast on their corpses. ...or maybe still-living but helpless bodies.

The vampire is posing as their new pet dog, which they only seem to have at night. The mangling of the corpses disguises how little blood is left IN the bodies.

If left for too long, vampire spawn may start rising, which will augment the gang's numbers and may take the fall for being "the vampire" if things get too hot.

1337 b4k4
2015-01-13, 11:37 AM
Some of it is going to depend on what traits vampires have in your system. They're surprisingly varried creatures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vampire_traits_in_folklore_and_fiction)

Jacque
2015-01-13, 01:03 PM
My group will probably relatively quickly pick up that it is a vampire. I like most of your suggestions. Some of them are not usable for my particular adventure while others are great additions to my own ideas. I did not consider dogs, wolves, or bats, and neither the corpses looking like being mauled by animals. I will definitely use those approaches.

comicshorse
2015-01-13, 04:37 PM
A sudden fashion for scarves or chokers among the young ladies of the area

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-13, 04:55 PM
1. Animals go missing. People blame thieves. Which is sorta true.

2. I have read somewhere that silver was associated with purity (Which explains why holy water uses silver). Could be a load of bull, but anyway. Modern mirrors are made with silver bonded to glass, so they cannot be seen in mirrors. The vampire tries to throw them off the track by getting specially ordered mirrors with a different metal for the backing, or even just unholy silver.

3. Someone has framed the local priest! Could double as a hook, but is a subtle way to get the holy man out of the way. The accusation makes it so no one can properly bless the grounds nor produce holy water.

4. A man comes to town with a sickly wife who is quite pale and wears scarves. The trick is, the man is the stooge and a thrall. The sickly woman who stays home is actually the vampire.