PDA

View Full Version : A Duel of Duelists

Desril
2015-01-13, 01:51 PM
So, shall we have an introduction, or get straight to the battle?

In any case, might as well roll Initiative now [roll0]

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 01:57 PM
Let's have a little RP. I was thinking perhaps they met in the shop of the merchant who sold their rings to Gaedren and got to bickering because Leah isn't much of one for working with others.

If you're okay with that, then I feel we could do some banter beforehand.

Initiative: [roll0]

Leah strides out of the shop, and wheels to face the other girl.
I told you, I will deal with him on my own. Tell me where to find you and I'll bring you your ring while I'm at it.
Valinia is fastened at her hip, the ornate guard of the sword failing to conceal that Leah has placed a hand on the grip.

Desril
2015-01-13, 02:07 PM
Natsumi, in her human guise, glares icily at the girl in response. "And I told you that he's mine. And I'll just buy the ring back with whatever the old bastard has managed to steal when I'm looting his corpse."

Seeing Leah's hand at her blade however, she scoffs, "I doubt you even know how to use that thing, pretty little highborn brat like you," she says while drawing her own elegant rapier and ignoring the worried murmuring of the slowly growing crowd. "But if you think you know what you're doing, why don't we make this interesting?"

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 02:15 PM
Leah's eyes flash red for a moment as she draws her blade.
Valinia has served my family for generations. I was trained by both my father and the legendary Scarlet Sentinels. And you, a common street rat, think that you can compare to my skill with a blade? It will be a pleasure to teach you otherwise.
Her other hand reaches behind her and draws the small dueling dagger she uses to defend herself, and she sinks into a fighting stance.
So, how much do you want to lose, street rat?

Desril
2015-01-13, 02:26 PM
Overconfident noble bitch. "Yeah, and Myrtenaster has shed more blood in a year than you ever have at your silly little school. You don't learn to fight like it's some dumb ball, you have to live it."

Natsumi moves into a fencing stance while the crowd, now giving them both a wide berth, encircles the pair from about 20 feet out. Confidant and cocky, she smirks as she puts out her wager, sure that the noble will back out of it, but wanting to see her blush. "But since you seem like you need to learn that lesson the hard way, let's make this exciting. After I kick your ass, I get every piece of cloth you're wearing and your armor, and you have to go crying back to daddy naked. Unless you want to apologize and admit defeat now."

Not starting the fight yet, but should I assume we'll be beginning with my next post?

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 02:41 PM
As soon as Natsumi mentions her father, Leah's eyes turn pure crimson and she lets out a bloody cry. She lunges forward, pretending to go for a blow, but twists the angle of her strike, aiming to disarm her foe instead. After the blow, Leah looks Natsumi in the eyes, and Natsumi can feel part of her essence beginning to leave her.

Move Action: Close any gap present
Standard: Initiate Blade of Breaking to disarm. Aiming at CMD of 15: [roll0]
Swift: Dark Claim on Natsumi

Desril
2015-01-13, 02:52 PM
Natsumi
HP 12/12
AC 17

Narrowly managing to avoid losing her grip on her rapier, Natsumi winks and mockingly comments, trying to make it look like she was having less trouble than she was. "Oh! Not bad...for a novice. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends who'll want to teach you how to wield a sword when you're running naked through midtown!"

Shifting slightly, she moves in to strike at a non-vital area. Going to humiliate her, but no point in hurting her too badly. I'll just have to end this quickly.

Standard:
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] non-lethal

Parry attempt against Leah's next attack [roll2] (4/5 Panache available)

If Parry succeeds:
Riposte [roll3]
Damage [roll4] non-lethal

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 03:06 PM
Leah Sparatine
HP: 9/9
AC: 18

Leah quickly twists to the side, keeping her eyes locked on her opponent as she avoids the blow. She quickly follows up with another thrust, not wanting to kill this offensive street rat. She then disengages to reassess her options.

Crimson Claim Damage: [roll0]
Standard: Initiate Red Zephyr's Strike (if attack is successful, back away 10ft)
Attack: [roll1] (Nonlethal)
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Crit Damage: [roll4]
Swift: Claim again. Recover Blade of Breaking

Desril
2015-01-13, 03:12 PM
Natsumi
HP 10/12
AC 17

"Argh, what in the Abyss?!" Not entirely sure why she suddenly feels weaker, since she knows the noble bitch hadn't landed a hit, Natsumi winces at the unexpected pain. "What sort of trick is this?!"

Angry now, but not enough to try and strike a lethal blow, she lunges at Leah again.

Standard:
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] non-lethal

Parry attempt against Leah's next attack [roll2] (3/5 Panache available)

If Parry succeeds:
Riposte [roll3]
Damage [roll4] non-lethal

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 03:18 PM
Leah Sparatine
2/9 (nonlethal
AC 18

Leah snarls as her offhand is struck when she attempts to parry with her dueling dagger. Desperate, she lunges in and her blade is deflected to the side. However, she is able to recover before Natsumi takes advantage of the opening. An almost feral grin grows on her face, revealing small fangs stained red with blood.

Claim damage: [roll0]
Attack is irrelevant, I had no maneuvers to use with it and it gets parried
Swift to Claim, recover Red Zephyr's Strike

Desril
2015-01-13, 03:24 PM
Natsumi
HP 9/12
AC 17

Grinning smugly as she easily deflects Leah's blow, the kitsune can't help but be surprised at the bloodthirsty look in her opponent's eyes as Leah grins too. She's better than I thought, this is actually starting to be fun...but not as fun as getting the prize will be! "Someone's getting worked up. Does the thought of losing excite you that much?"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] nonlethal

Parry [roll2] (2/5 remaining)

Riposte [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 03:29 PM
Leah, attempting to strike a blow around her opponent's defenses, leaves herself open to attack. As Natsumi's blade slides in, Leah collapses to the ground, gasping, and holding one hand over the wound. She spits a glob of blood onto the ground, an odd occurrence since her face was never struck.

When she looks up at the victor, the red is fading from her eyes, though they are still narrowed with hatred. Then her head falls to the cobbles of the street.

Desril
2015-01-13, 03:57 PM
Seeing her opponent beaten, Natsumi basks in the thrill of winning a fight for a brief second before smiling down at the wounded noble girl who's quickly losing consciousness. "Oh don't make such a scene, I didn't hit anything important, it won't even leave a scar."

As Leah's head drops to the ground, Natsumi quickly decides on a course of action. I'm surprised she managed as well as she did. I wasn't trying to kill her, but I didn't hold back much either. Maybe I underestimated her a little. I'll have to make sure she doesn't hurt herself, wandering about in the buff...and it gives me a chance to check out the goods,she thinks to herself with a wry smile on her face.

"Alright everyone, show's over, go home. I'm not going to leave her just lying here."

Despite saying that, it takes every ounce of strength Natsumi has to lift the unconscious Leah off the ground and slowly shuffle over to the inn she was staying at, unceremoniously dropping the noble-born duelist into her bed. Talking aloud, mostly to herself since Leah can't respond, "I'm not going to just leave you to die, but I'm also not going to forgive you for trying to hit me before we'd even started. Or for that weird magic thing you did. So you're definitely paying up, but I'll be nice about it."

True to her word, the kitsune took Leah's leather armor, and every single strip of cloth she was wearing, I should take the backpack too, so she can't cover up with it, and, after making sure that Leah wasn't bleeding out, left to go visit her abandoned home in Old Korvosa. There, she carefully stashed her opponent's belongings behind a loose board before returning a couple hours later.

Figuring that her new friend, she used the term loosely, would be waking up any time now, Natsumi got two mugs of ale and put one by the bed for Leah. Then, she passed the time until her nude companion woke up by practicing maneuvers with Leah's rapier. What'd she call her? Valinia? She's well made. A little gaudy though.

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 04:03 PM
Leah's eyes flutter open. Her head was pounding. What had she done last night? The last thing she remembered was...

Being stabbed. Right. That's what had happened. So how did she get onto a bed? And what was that sound?

She raised her head, and saw the woman who had beaten her, practicing. She blinked, and realized something: The stranger was holding Valinia. She was suddenly bolt upright, reaching for her dueling dagger and finding it missing.
Give that back right now you thief, or I will end your miserable existence!
Natsumi will see her eyes are, once again, flashing to red.

Desril
2015-01-13, 04:11 PM
Finishing her little practice a few seconds after being shouted at, Natsumi smiles in amusement at the furious Leah. "Yeah, and how are you going to do that? You couldn't beat me in a fair fight where you tried to sucker punch me. What'd you think you can do now? A distraction isn't helpful when you don't have a weapon you know," she teases, her eyes obviously no longer on Leah's face.

"And you can call me a thief if you like, but I haven't taken anything of yours."

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 04:13 PM
Leah is fuming.
If you have taken nothing of mine, then explain why you are standing there with my family's blade?
Then she notices where Natsumi is looking.
So, you felt the need to strip me? Perverted street rat. Return my blade, my clothing, and my armor!

Desril
2015-01-13, 04:44 PM
Chuckling at Leah's fury, Natsumi makes a tsking sound. "Well, I don't think you really have anywhere to put it now, do you? I have to admit, it's a fine blade. A little heavy for my taste, but well made."

Well, I was going to hold the weapon hostage and make sure she played nice, but I suppose I could comfort her a little. Without a word, she sheathes Valinia and tosses the blade safely to Leah.

Looking serious she continues, "With the people I grew up with, attacking someone before terms were set meant your life was forfeit." The serious facade fades though as Natsumi smiles brightly, "It'd be a shame to kill you though, you're too much fun. That said, we did have a wager. You don't have clothes or armor. I just took what was mine and dropped it off at my house."

"The way I see it, you've got three options. You can go crying to daddy and lose what little respect I have for you. You can suck it up and come with me, and I'll give you back my things," she says emphasizing the fact that as far as she's concerned, the stolen goods are now her property, "Or, you can do something stupid and try to beat me while naked. But just a note," she says with a perfectly cheery voice that makes it impossible to tell if she's kidding or making a threat, "if you try that, I'll tie your naked body to a pole and stick you in the middle of the marketplace. So, what'll it be...huh, I don't think I caught your name."

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 04:48 PM
Leah draws her blade and points it at Natsumi once again.
You dishonor my father's memory by speaking of him. Where I grew up, speaking as such, even in ignorance, would mean your death. But because of your ignorance, I will allow you to apologize for speaking on matters you know nothing of.
She is shaking, her eyes somewhere between red and green.

Desril
2015-01-13, 04:56 PM
Knowing how it feels to lose a father, Natsumi's eyes are downcast briefly as she mutters a quiet apology, "Sorry...I didn't realize he was dead. You have my condolences."

She doesn't stay regretful of her choice of words long, however, and she returns her gaze to Leah's, soaking in the sights on her way up as she waits to see what the nude noble decides to do.

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 05:04 PM
Leah lets out a long breath and lowers her sword.
I too owe you an apology. I should not have struck before you were prepared. The ring that I am seeking, along with Valinia, are the only tokens I have of my family. It is a...sore subject.
Leah sits in silence for a moment, then realizes that Natsumi is still staring at her.
Can we just get this over with? Hopefully I won't have to gut anyone on the way to where you've put my clothing.
Leah placing the stress on her ownership since she never did actually agree to the terms of the duel.

Desril
2015-01-13, 05:15 PM
Nodding in acceptance of it being a sore subject, Natsumi speaks up. "Yeah, I can understand. Gaedren was responsible for my father's death, but that was a long time ago."

Extending a hand out to Leah, she smiles, "Name's Sera. And since you're gutsy enough to go through with it, I'll take you down the alleyways to get there faster. If you tried to fight I would've made detours."

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 05:19 PM
Leah took the hand grudgingly.
Leah Sparatine, formerly of Taldor.
As they go, Leah works up the will to ask the question that has been bothering her.
Who taught you to fight? Your technique is superb.

Desril
2015-01-13, 05:35 PM
Shrugging, Natsumi responds, "Like I said, it's not something you're taught, you have to live it."

The rest of her explaination is cut short by the cheers from the tavern as Leah comes into view, but once they make it to an empty alley, Natsumi decides she might as well tell Leah her story.

"I told you that Gaedren had my father killed. Well, after that, I'm not really clear on what happened, but I ended up on a pirate ship. I had to either learn how to fight and defend myself, or be a scared little girl on a pirate ship. I just volunteered to fight when it came time and survived long enough to figure out what I was doing. And when the ship went down, I took my shot at freedom and came home."

Ultimately, it takes the duo about an hour and a half to get to the abandoned home in Old Korvosa thanks to needing to dodge crowds, but eventually they make it. Before unlocking the door, however, Natsumi stops and looks back at Leah.

Hmm...You know what? I'll be honest. Haven't done that in a while. And it'll be nice if at least someone in this city knows who I am. Besides, she's cute, daring, and a damn fine swordswoman. "Sorry, I lied before. My real name is Natsumi, "Sera" is just what I used to get by on the ship so no one would know what I am."

Stepping closer, before Leah can react to that new information, Natsumi give her a quick peck on the lips and whispers to her, "And you're wrong, by the way. I'm not a pervert, I just know what I like. Your clothes are inside, but there's no rush, is there?"

Vhaidara
2015-01-13, 05:43 PM
Leah almost slaps the other girl as she kisses her. Reflexively, her hand had moved to her sword, but she stops herself.
Don't do that. The last person who kissed me got himself killed while wearing my father's ring.
With that, she pushes past Natsumi. As she does though, the other woman may notice a flush of red in Leah's face that never appeared during her forced nudity.

After getting dressed, Leah looks at the vagrant. No, the duelist. After all, with a house, she was less of a vagrant than Leah.
Natsumi, Perhaps we could hunt Gaedren together. Two sets of eyes are better than one, after all.

Desril
2015-01-13, 06:07 PM
Just barely catching the blush as Leah sneaks inside, having been distracted by a different sort of cheek, Natsumi grins. That's cute, she's worried about me.

When the now, sadly, clothed Leah emerges and offers an alliance though, the kitsune nods her head and smiles. "Together then. It'll be fun working with you. You're more exciting than any other high-born lady I've met at least, even if I did have to force you into it."

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 07:19 PM
About a week later

Leah is in a bad mood. It had been a week since she had met and had been defeated by the street rat Natsumi. The two had decided to work together in the hunting of Gedran Lamm, but they hadn't turned up anything. Leah was infuriated by how many of her contacts were so willing to believe the worst of her, despite the lack of evidence.

She returned to Natsumi's home towards dusk, her nerves frayed. She had finally worked up the courage to try and talk to Markin Abrang, father of her deceased betrothed. She had tried to explain that she was hunting his son's murderer, but he had shouted her down and threatened to call the guards. Her fists were clenched as she stepped inside.
Sera? Are you back yet?

Desril
2015-04-21, 07:33 PM
Natsumi

Unlike Leah, Natsumi wasn't nearly as hellbent on catching Gaedren. While she wanted to avenge her father, it was more about closing the last chapter of her past than righting any particular wrong, and nothing that couldn't be put off. So while her new friend was out hunting for clues, Natsumi was out roaming the city for things of interest. Unfortunately for her, that meant gambling, and today, that meant losing. Left with literally nothing but the clothes on her back and her beloved mithral blade, she'd returned home an hour ago and was blowing off steam by practicing the stance she'd seen Leah use in their previous duel, determined to make it her own. Oh, she's going to be pissed, the kitsune in human form grins to herself at the thought of Leah's outrage when a 'street rat' like her mastered her precious school's style so easily.

She'd been just finishing up when Leah called out and Natsumi headed out of her room, grinning. "Yeah, what's up?" Seeing her clinched fists though, she tilts her head to the side, curious, but wanting to see what an angry Leah does without any prompting.

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 07:36 PM
In her anger, Leah doesn't even notice what her colleague was doing.
Did you have any luck tracking down Lamm's location? I'm tired of everyone treating me like a criminal! It's infuriating!

Desril
2015-04-21, 07:43 PM
Natsumi

Oh, she's already angry. I love it when she gets like this, she's much more fun...just need to prod her into doing something exciting...

Hiding her grin, she puts on her best 'bad acting' face and fails to look properly ashamed. "Well...the thing about that is...the coin you gave me to try and track down any leads...maaaay have found its way into a game of cards." She waits for Leah's reaction before continuing, digging herself in deeper. "See, the thing is, I thought they might know something, but I wanted to get to know them a bit through the game and...well...It didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped," she says with a laugh.

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 07:54 PM
Leah glares at the other girl.
You are absolutely hopeless, you know that? One of these days you're going to end up dead in a gutter from these vices of yours. If you're lucky, it will be from your slutting, rather than your gambling or your drinking.
Her look is scornful
And you know who is going to miss you? No one. You'll be lucky if they even bother to figure out whose body it is, lying there, soaked in the gods only know what.

Desril
2015-04-21, 08:16 PM
Natsumi

Frowning, not expecting her friend to spew quite as much vitriol as she was, her words actually did manage to hurt Natsumi since the kitsune havd grown fond of the disgraced noblewoman. Glaring now, she looks at her friend, "Oh yeah? Like you're one to talk. Even if you clear your name, who's left to care, huh?"

Fuming, she continues before Leah can reply, "You know what? I don't care. You want a fight? Fine, but I'm going to make you regret it, outside, now. Loser has to..." Annoyed as she was, she couldn't think clearly and struggled to think of something suitably shameful to force Leah to endure as an apology, giving the Scarlet Sentinel a chance to place the wager.

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 08:20 PM
Leah smiles evilly.
If I die, my name uncleared, I will be remembered. Markin will have the false closure of my death, and my comrades in the Sentinels will know that the one they believe betrayed them is no more. But you? No one cares about you. You are nothing.
Then Natsumi offers the wager. Leah had been hoping for this.
Buy the other's ring back from the pawn dealer.
She drew Valinia, and settled into her combat stance.

Desril
2015-04-21, 08:29 PM
Natsumi

Falling hook, line, and sinker for Leah's trap, Natsumi quickly agrees to it, but frowns in disappointment. "That's it? No, that's not nearly enough. Loser buys back the winner's ring, and has to be their slave 'til Starday! Unless," she says trying to provoke Leah while thoroughly provoked herself, "you're too scared that I'll beat you into the ground as easily as I did last time?!"

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 09:05 PM
Leah frowns.
Now you're a slaver too? Don't you have enough vices? And besides, I'm hardly going to bet my freedom against someone as honorless as you. I may be proud, but unlike you, I'm not stupid. Though I suppose having dogs in your ancestry hardly helps that matter.

Desril
2015-04-21, 09:14 PM
Natsumi

Practically growling now, the kitsune reaches for Myrtenaster at her side, but doesn't draw it. While Natsumi was more lenient with Leah than with most people, she still had limits on her short temper, and her rival finally crossed the line that made Natsumi willing to strike a low blow "You can never have enough vices, but I guess you really are afraid. I'm sure daddy would be so proud of how you ran away from a challenge. I wonder why you're so busy looking for Gaedren, you'll probably just run from him too!"

One way or another, the fight will be starting soon.

Initiative [roll0]

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 09:30 PM
Leah laughs
I'm hardly running from the challenge. After all, we're about to fight, aren't we? I just don't trust you not to cheat if I give you stakes like that.

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 09:31 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Desril
2015-04-21, 09:32 PM
Natsumi

"Cheat?! If I was going to cheat you, you'd still be cowering, naked, in that bar, and I'd have your blade! You just know that you're going to lose!" Finally at her limit, she draws Myrtenaster and gets into a readied stance, just waiting for the moment when Leah recognizes it as her own Scarlet Einhander.

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 09:47 PM
Leah smiles.
Ah, but that time, you weren't the angry one.
Valinia snakes out as Leah begins to duel in an instant, Leah's red eyes beginning to fill with that eerie red glow.

Move into range and initiate Hungry Stillness Strike
Attack: [roll0]
Crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] non-lethal +[roll3] negative energy
Crit: [roll4]

If Natsumi Parries and Ripostes, then Leah Parries and Ripostes herself
Parry: [roll5]

Riposte
Attack: [roll6]
Crit: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] non-lethal
Crit: [roll9]

If not, then Leah Claims Natsumi, recovering Hungry Stillness Strike and dealing [roll10] damage to her at the beginning of Leah's next turn. And then uses the parry/riposte above against any attack Natsumi makes during her own turn.

Desril
2015-04-21, 10:01 PM
Natsumi
(Soon to be) 9/13
AC 19 (Bumped to 23 against Leah's last attack)

Missing the tricky noble's whispered words, too irritated to catch on, Natsumi focuses entirely on Valinia, watching the blade approach and quickly side-stepping it, narrowly leaping out of the way. Growling, "Is that all you've got? I guess backing down from a real wager makes sense now!"

From her new position, she lunges forward, aiming to stab Myrtenaster through one of Leah's less vital areas, the mithral blade arcing with electricity as she draws out her innate magical power and pours it into the blade.

Panache at start of turn; 5/6

Variable Flux (Air)
Attack [roll0] (-4 non-lethal, +4 due to Valinia being primarily metal)
Damage [roll1]

Parry Leah's next attack [roll2]
if Parry succeeds, riposte

Riposte [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

If Parry fails, but Dodging Panache can save me, I'll do that for +4 AC instead.

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 10:16 PM
Leah deflects Natsumi's blade casually.
What's wrong? Don't tell me you're actually drunk? I've seen passed out sailors strike truer than that.
She smirks, her red eyes gleaming. Her teeth gleam red with fresh blood.
Just surrender now. You know last time was a fluke.

Intimidate to demoralize. DC is 10+HD+Wis Mod. So, 10.
[roll0]

Parry if attacked: [roll1], but no riposte

Desril
2015-04-21, 10:29 PM
Natsumi
HP 9/13
AC 19

Wincing as Leah calls her out, she gets even angrier, throwing her attacks out with reckless abandon, ignoring her sudden weakness. "Surrender?! I'd rather be a slave again!"

She snarls as she cries out, "Why don't I show you how much better I am than you with your own move?!"

Panache 5/6

Blade of Breaking to disarm [roll0] vs CMD 17?

Parry if necessary [roll1]

Riposte if possible [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Dodge if necessary

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 10:57 PM
Valinia slips from Leah's hand.
You learn well, bitch. Now learn your place.
Leah bends to retrieve the blade, lowering her guard for a moment. Then she comes up striking at Myrtenaster.

Move action to retrieve my weapon, taking an AoO.

Standard: Blade of Breaking to disarm
[roll0]

Parry: [roll1]

Riposte (only in response to a parried riposte)
Attack: [roll2]
Crit: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Crit: [roll5]

Desril
2015-04-21, 11:11 PM
Natsumi
HP 9/13
AC 19

After striking out at Leah as she reaches for Valinia, Natsumi only barely manages to hold onto her own Myrtenaster.

"Of course," she spits out, mocking Leah's failure, "I'm the quickest learner in Korvosa! I even have a new trick!"

Quicker than Leah can blink, Natsumi slides the mithral blade back into its sheath and quickly draws it, the silvery metal once more sparking with an electric current. "Now, it's over!"

AoO was eaten by parrying the disarm attempt, riposte failed miserably

Move action to sheathe Myrtenaster without provoking
Free action to draw it again, restoring Variable Flux (Air)
Swift action to use Cagebreaker's call or whatever it's called for +2 attack for 1 round was eaten by the Riposte above

Variable Flux (Air) [roll0] -2 for 22, still hits
Damage [roll1]

If this still isn't over,
Parry [roll2] (Call still in effect) -2 for 8

Riposte [roll3] -2
Damage [roll4]

Dodge if necessary.

Vhaidara
2015-04-22, 07:23 AM
Leah moves to block, but the setting sun glares off of the blade, and Valinia goes awry as Natsumi's blade slides into her side. the energy from the blade courses through Leah, causing her to convulse and shudder before collapsing to the ground, her breathing barely detectable.

Mornings
2015-04-24, 04:42 PM
The Burnished Light

She had frequented a tavern around these dimming hours. She'd enjoy a drink or song, and be on her way. The streets of Old Korvosa were ill-patrolled, and dimly lit at night. The perfect place for a brawl or two, though she didn't look the part. 'Lady of Dawn' had been what the common-folk had begun to call the women, for indeed, in these wayward streets, she stood out as clearly as the sun in a night sky. She wore outrageously lavish garbs. Her signet-ring, her armor, jewelry, and weapons identified her as what she was, and was not. 'The House of Dawn'... by extension a House of Athres, was a work of her own making. Yet seemingly legitimized by her Royal garbs. Nobles stepped aside at her passing, thinking themselves in the presence of some foreign princess. Which, perhaps may not be far from the truth pending how The House fared in the on-going War of Houses in her Taldorian Homeland. She gleamed of gold, and was clad in flowing robes, and fine parade armor fashioned with her sigil, 'The House of Dawn'. A House she had created herself, not as Roslin Athres, but Alari Dawn. Her ability, and claim to create a sub-house of her own family was no less legitimate regardless of the name she used, and she needed no permission from her 'dear father' for that. Though it would surely be met with disapproval. She cared little, it was but a means to an end.

She heard the ring of steel in the dimming late afternoon streets. This is why she loved Old Town. She took out a cigar, and lit it, with her lighter before quickly rounding the corner to watch the fight. A strange women, and another, rather... more 'native' looking women dueled in the streets. The strange women moved with fine steps, precision. Good cuts. She had obviously been classically trained in swordsmenship. She let her senses expand, until her awareness reached its peak, solidifying her psionic focus. The other one... she was fast, her moves were steady, but not with those movements of a practiced regimen found within the sword-arm of a tailored and trained swordsmen. She was just a natural, obviously picking up pieces here-and-there from many..many fights. She took a puff of her cigar, not breathing in the smoke, but enjoying it's taste. They moved quickly, well timed parries. She took a swig of mead from her flask, and placed the large wine-skin away just as the street-fighter pulled off her brilliant maneuver. Sheathing her blade, and unleashing a lightning-striking slash finishing off her opponent. Who was obviously still alive. She issued a low whistle drawing some attention, quite impressed. She bit down on the cigar, and clapped a few times.

"...Well fought. Well fought! I'd have lost a wager if i'd thrown lots on that fight! You may fight like a wildling, but you've skill, no doubt! " She rested her left hand across the massive gleaming gold half-basket hilted broad blade, that was almost as long as she was tall. " I've no interest in fighting a wounded women, but how about we have a go, eh? You might look like a steaming-pile-of-something left out by a wet-dog, but your sword-arm doesn't lie." She looked her over once, seeing the extent of the damage, which was not that considerable, but she was obviously fatigued. She dug out a small vial from her chest, and tossed it over to the women, whose attention she now held. " Drink it, and let's see the extent of that mettle." She smiled as if contesting her own words.

Her hand rested casually across the massive golden blade at her side, secured by bolt-and-baldric, two strange hilt-less blades scabbarded across her back in the same right-facing direction, with massive pommels that were no less elaborate. She stood leaning against the wall waiting for reply. She was obviously a royal. A foreign over-confident princess of some nation she couldn't identify, perhaps. Her weapons were strange, and the signet she bore was unfamiliar and held no resemblance to any she had seen or was familiar with. Her large golden blade was slightly curved, with a strange cruciform-half-basket hilt, almost akin to a dueling sword. If it wasn't so absurdly large, perhaps she could assume she was some fledgling Aldori-Dame of Rostland who wandered a little too far from home... But nothing seemed to quite fit.

Upon seeing the women consume the contents of the vial she had so courteously provided she took that as a gesture she had accepted the challenge. She visualized a suit of armor within her mind, solidified by her very will. A small transparent force encased her.

Uses - Inertial Armor - 1 Hour / +4 AC (Power Points 3/4)
[Default Stance:] - Scarlet Einhander: +1d6 +2AC - (1 weapon)

Alari Dawn
HP: 10
AC: 21

" I take it that mean's you accept. I am Lady Alari Yellena Dawn, of the House of Dawn, of Okeno. I don't care for terms, I just wish to see your skill myself..." She gripped the hilt of her weapon. Slowly drawing the blade in a strange reverse grip. Letting the back of it's blade rest across her forearm with her small finger crossing over the cruciform bar of the hilt as if to steady the blade. She placed one foot back, with the massive golden-reversed blade, behind her and her open palm in-front of her, glowing with a strange force. The cigar still held firmly in her mouth. There was no question in her mind now just how foreign this royal-bitch was. She smiled somewhat condescendingly. "...Of course, if you wish to walk away. I will not stop you. Please feel free.... But perhaps you'd entertain a Lady's request. If you've terms. Speak them. If not, just as well!" She puffed a circle of smoke from the side of her mouth. The women looked absolutely ridiculous standing only 5'4'' with a sword whose blade was 4 ft alone. But there was obviously some skill in her form. Wielding such a massive blade in a single hand with such a strange, and seemingly unwieldy grip... " Well love, what'll it be? ...I'll wait if you need to catch your breath. "

Desril
2015-04-24, 04:58 PM
Natsumi
HP 13/13
AC 19

She'd been just about to drag Leah's body back inside to have her sleep it off, but the sudden appearance of the gold clad noble distracted her. While she droned on and puffed from her cigar, Natsumi only glared at her behind human eyes, sizing her up. Arrogant little bitch...I already beat one noble today, but this one looks almost like royalty. Glancing at Leah's unconscious body, she frowns, still fuming from what her friend had done, though the idea that maybe it was just to rile her up crossed her mind. Still, she'd have to ask about that later. Right now, she just wanted to vent. Luckily, I'll have to have some fun with this one. All that embroidered silk has to be worth a fortune...

Drinking the offered potion, she feels her strength returning as she takes a moment to get back into her stance and ready the tricks she'd learned watching Leah once more. "Yeah, alright, I'll take you on. But I don't fight for nothing, so let's make this interesting." Smirking, she makes it clear that she's eying up Alari's fancy outfit, "Truth be told, I'm out of coin at the moment, but you look like you've got plenty. So, how's this? Loser goes to the nearest pawn shop and sells every last scrap of cloth on 'em and uses the coin to go buy whatever the victor wants...but, in the interest of fair play since your fancy getup is hardly a fair bet for mine, I'll throw in something extra; You win, I'll stay starkers 'til Starday!"

Now, let's see what you look like when you're embarrassed, princess. A sword that size, and a frame like yours, you don't stand a chance. If you were smart though, you wouldn't have challenged me.

Natsumi uses Elixir!

Same stuff prepared as the start of the battle against Leah, Scarlet Einhander Stance.

Initiative [roll0]

Mornings
2015-04-24, 05:19 PM
The Burnished Light

Alari Dawn
HP: 10/10

She smiled somewhat pleasantly as if genuinely amused by her unconventional remark. It was a strange look. Like something that didn't belong. Like the expression hadn't been seen by any soul in a long time. There was a wearisome look in her eye.

She looked down to the cobblestone street. "....'I Agree'. Is what I WOULD say... if we had met not so long ago..." She looked up. A candid, expressionless gaze in her eyes. "...But I cannot lie. I have no intention of honoring that wager, though I would have seen it through if I'd been the victor. I've little honor left, little left but dreams, this curse, and my own shame. By those terms, I would see you betrayed..." She paused as if in thought. " Yet, truly, you're just the kind of character I had imagined. I'm glad, but coin means little if you're not alive to spend it...." The words carried a somewhat sinister drifting tone, evidently not actually directed at her, but, someone else... " I've no intent of wasting your time. So rather, how about we raise the stakes? Why not bet the most invaluable, unrepeatable commodity we both possess? Time. " She pointed at her with the hilt of her reversed sword. " If you are defeated by me. You will serve me as my retainer and steward. For a year and a day. I promise I will see you are not met with any disrespect, and you shall bare the colors of my House. But for that time, you are MINE.... And equally, upon the same terms. I swear upon my name and house, I will serve you in the same regard, for a year and a day, as my master... There is nothing more precious then the time we've left in this would. Would you wager it? The very days of your life upon this fight? " She returned to her stance. "...I will"

Initiative roll delayed for response

Desril
2015-04-24, 05:30 PM
Natsumi

Thinking about it for a second, she chuckles, "Heh, alright, I'll take those terms...but my 'house' doesn't have any colors, and the things I do for fun can get us plenty of disrespect, so I can't promise you that. So, why don't we toss that stipulation. Though," she smirks, completely confident in her victory, "I guess that'd make the loser more of a servant than a 'retainer'."

She pauses with a glance toward Leah's body, "But I have a condition, if you agree to those terms." She looks back at Alari and nods her head in Leah's direction, "I promised her I'd help clear her name. I'll want to stay with her until that's done at least."

Well, it's mostly true, and it'll make her think I'll honor the terms if she gets lucky.

Mornings
2015-04-24, 05:45 PM
The Burnished Light

Alari Dawn

" You need no house to take a steward. I am not claiming your liberties, as terms of enslavement. You will serve my goals, my aspirations, defend me, and obey those commands which I issue with rightful cause. I will not deny you your humanity, or your liberties, but you will be in my service. As in the same respect will I serve you. If that one, bares some weight upon your decision, we'll see you're business with her complete after this affair. "

" I ask not for your loyalty. This fight is for your fealty to my service. Know well, if this was not that case, and I was to fall to your blade... I would cut your throat in your sleep... I am no slave. Nor are you. " She paused, giving her a long-and-hard moment to process the weight of her statement. " Now, if you can agree, to these terms..... Let us begin! "

Initiative [roll0]

Mornings
2015-04-24, 05:49 PM
Aminus Gained 1/5
Maneuver Gained [roll0]

Desril
2015-04-24, 05:58 PM
Natsumi
HP 13
AC 19

She sighs dramatically, "Oh well...and here I was hoping to rip that ridiculous outfit off you and have some real fun. Whatever, you're on!"

Irritated that she'd been talked into taking a much less entertaining wager than the one she'd proposed initially, the kitsune wasted no more time with words and, rather than fighting on even terms as she did with Leah, charged in at lightning fast speed, intending to end this duel with a single decisive blow. "You're finished!"

Non-Action - Brave Gambit (+Cha to attack) Rake if I fail
Swift Action - Cagebreaker's Cry (+2 all allies+Self attack and reroll mind-affecting effects)
Full-Round - Charge

Nonlethal Charge [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Desril
2015-04-24, 06:01 PM
Parry Attempt

+2 from Cry negated by -2 from Rake

Parry [roll0]

Riposte if possible [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

If parry fails, Dodging Panache to bring AC up to 21.

Desril
2015-04-24, 06:17 PM
Corrected Riposte damage

Damage [roll0]

Crit Threat [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Mornings
2015-04-24, 06:22 PM
Natsumi
HP 13
AC 19
Aminus 2/5

She sighs dramatically, "Oh well...and here I was hoping to rip that ridiculous outfit off you and have some real fun. Whatever, you're on!"

Irritated that she'd been talked into taking a much less entertaining wager than the one she'd proposed initially, the kitsune wasted no more time with words and, rather than fighting on even terms as she did with Leah, charged in at lightning fast speed, intending to end this duel with a single decisive blow. "You're finished!"

Non-Action - Brave Gambit (+Cha to attack) Rake if I fail
Swift Action - Cagebreaker's Cry (+2 all allies+Self attack and reroll mind-affecting effects)
Full-Round - Charge

Nonlethal Charge [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

The duelist came upon her with a fleet-footed fury, unleashing a brutal piercing attack. With a dramatic sweeping spin she deflected the charge aside wordlessly, falling into a spinning decent, her legs twisted under her, as if she was a descending cyclone of golden fury. Just as her knee's were about to touch the ground, an explosive green energy filling her arms and channeling into her blade. ... her body violently snapped unwinding into a blinding spinning sword dance, through the air and into a side-long tumble, unleashing a devastating storm, as a sub-sonic explosion seemed to follow her blade. She flew through the air, and off to the right side. The air electrified by the thunderous spinning slash.

-Spend 1 Animus: Stunning Peal: Rune (Round 5/5)
- Spend 1 Additional Aminus: Additional Sonic Damage - 3d4
- On Strike Target must Succeed DC14 Fortitude Save or be Staggered.
(Strike) Offensive Roll: Acrobatics VS AC +1d6 Damage + Tumble
(Acrobatics Check: Tumble VS CMD 12) [roll0] ---(Auto-Pass lol)

Attack: [roll1]
Damage [roll2] + [roll3] + [roll4]

Desril
2015-04-24, 06:33 PM
Natsumi

Doing her best to block the suddenly swirling Alari, the kitsune's mithral blade didn't have nearly enough mass to deflect the bastard sword that was already far too close. ****, I can't--

Even her thoughts are cut off as the blade smashed into her side, sending her flying into the nearby alleyway. Groaning, she vocalized the last thought in her head prior to blacking out completely, "Damn...never going to hear the end of this..."

Mornings
2015-04-24, 06:57 PM
The Burnished Light

Alari Dawn

She landed in a whirling somersault 15 ft away from where she had originated, stopping her spin, ending in the same reverse gripped stance she had begun. The thundering roar of her golden vortex-assault sending the charging duelist flying through the air and sprawled out upon the cold stone. Muttering afew words before falling out of consciousness. With a spin, she sheathed the blade in reverse, with a 'snap', finely setting in place within the scabbard. She walked over to the women she had struck down. She had put everything she had in that strike, rather then fighting with defensive finesse, and so she replied in kind. Though, the results were a tad more dramatic then she was aiming for. " ...Well fought. " She lifted her up, and begun dragging her to the house she had been making way for, previously. She mumbled to herself... " Perhaps, next time, you might exercise a bit more caution...." She pushed aside the other women who laid close to the steps, dragging the dirty women inside. She dragged her to a bed, and left her their, sheathing her thin rapier on her belt.

She moved outside again. Wiping the dirt from her hands. She'd need to give that women a good cleaning... She stepped over to the other swordsmen. Grabbing her and dragging her inside as well, leaving the strange women upon the floor inside. She signed... what a mess.

She left the house closing the door behind her, walking the streets to the market, the vendors still hawking their wares. She purchased a small number of potions and returned to the house... She poured a dose down the dirty women's throat. Giving her a firm swat on the side of the face. " Oh...wake up. It wasn't that bad. "

Desril
2015-04-24, 07:05 PM
Natsumi

Feeling the rejuvenating effects of the potion, the kitsune jolts awake, jumping up and reaching for Myrtenaster at her side in an instant when she was slapped, only to see the potion vial in Alari's other hand. It takes her a second, her memories being slower to return than instinct, but she eventually lowers her guard and sighs. "Oh. It's you."

Doing her best to think of a way out of paying up, realizing that it wasn't entirely luck that cost her the win. Not entirely confident in it, she nonetheless makes a token effort to get out of her bet without outright ignoring it. "I don't suppose there's any chance I can talk you down from being your retainer and just paying up with the first wager I offered, is there?"

"Oh, and what'd you do with Leah? You didn't leave her outside, did you?" Though it's faint, an actual hint of concern creeps into her voice at the question.

Mornings
2015-04-24, 07:18 PM
The Burnished Light

" hm, Leah, is it? ...I brought her inside with you before I fetched the vials" She crossed her arms over her chest. " Now why would I do that? You might not bathe on the regular, but you're a fine swordsmen, and worth much more to me then your cloths...You wagered your fealty to my cause. I will aid you in fulfilling your obligations to 'Leah', but as it stands, our terms remain...For a year and a day." She tilted her head to the side, curiously. " Though I am curious why you had put everything behind that one attack. During your previous encounter, I had watched you combat the other one, Leah, with far more finesse. I don't doubt you could have won, had my timing been but a fraction off, but it was not quite what I was expecting.... A far-cry, even, from how your previous combat. Was there some reason behind such recklessness? "

Desril
2015-04-24, 07:25 PM
Natsumi

Still frowning, she looks away. "A miscalculation. I figured a twiggy bitch like you wouldn't be able to use that monster of a sword effectively. Figured I'd take you out before you cut your own head off."

Biting her lip, she thinks for a second, trying to figure out any way out of being stuck with fulfilling the wager she agreed to at the end before coming up with an idea. "If you want a retainer that you just met, then you must be desperate for help with something, right? Well, Leah was trained by the Scarlet Sentinels, and," she pauses, not wanting to give up the favor she was trying to earn so easily, but also doubling as a way to make her sound as if this was a bigger sacrifice on her part than it really was to make it more appealing, "...if you agree, after I help her with her business, she'll owe me and I can have her use her connections to get you whatever it is you're after."

Mornings
2015-04-24, 07:37 PM
Natsumi

Still frowning, she looks away. "A miscalculation. I figured a twiggy bitch like you wouldn't be able to use that monster of a sword effectively. Figured I'd take you out before you cut your own head off."

Biting her lip, she thinks for a second, trying to figure out any way out of being stuck with fulfilling the wager she agreed to at the end before coming up with an idea. "If you want a retainer that you just met, then you must be desperate for help with something, right? Well, Leah was trained by the Scarlet Sentinels, and," she pauses, not wanting to give up the favor she was trying to earn so easily, but also doubling as a way to make her sound as if this was a bigger sacrifice on her part than it really was to make it more appealing, "...if you agree, after I help her with her business, she'll owe me and I can have her use her connections to get you whatever it is you're after."

" Hmph. Fair enough I suppose. But if it's any constilation, that is typically why I wield the blade in reverse. The length can be an issue considering the thing is as long as I'm tall. It takes quite a long time to learn those techniques however... Her voice drifts off at the end, as if in thought, or remembrance. " Well, I've no idea who you're friend is, though she seems well-off. Connections are a powerful thing in a city such as this, but perhaps we'll come back to that when we conclude whatever business you've left with her. Until then our terms still stand. I will not see you mistreated.." She paused, scrunching up her face, as if something finally clicked in her mind, along with their proximity " ...Though, we'll have to do something about the smell."

Desril
2015-04-24, 07:45 PM
Damnit...getting out of this is going to be a pain in my ass. Sighing, she mutters just loud enough to be heard, "...would've rather just been stuck in the nude."