PDA

View Full Version : TV I'm fed up with the ZEXAL anime

Lheticus
2015-01-13, 03:43 PM
The last episodes are being released on Hulu one per week, and I gotta say...my patience is at its end. It's close to the series finale so I guess I'll stick it out...but seriously. With Don Thousand vs. Shark and Yuma/Astral, it's like the entire duel has consisted of nothing but all three of them pulling cards, strategies, counters, effects, basically everything from various cosmic *******s. They're not even dueling with cards, they're dueling with pure plot devices! It's disgusting. I mean, when the ZEXAL Weapon cards conveniently appeared in Yuma's deck when he dueled Vector, I was a little steamed for a while but this is just absurdity.

Tengu_temp
2015-01-13, 05:24 PM
I'm honestly wondering what were you expecting. From the very first show, Yu-Gi-Oh wasn't exactly known for representing a real card game even remotely accurately - or for its quality storytelling and not relying on Deus Ex Machina, for the matter.

Lheticus
2015-01-14, 02:08 PM
Well...yeah, but this duel imo pushes the boundaries of it being less a card game and more a plot device game than has ever happened before. (Except maybe for the Ark Cradle arc in 5Ds that I haven't fully seen yet so I'll reserve judgement there.)

An Enemy Spy
2015-01-14, 10:45 PM
The last episodes are being released on Hulu one per week, and I gotta say...my patience is at its end. It's close to the series finale so I guess I'll stick it out...but seriously. With Don Thousand vs. Shark and Yuma/Astral, it's like the entire duel has consisted of nothing but all three of them pulling cards, strategies, counters, effects, basically everything from various cosmic *******s. They're not even dueling with cards, they're dueling with pure plot devices! It's disgusting. I mean, when the ZEXAL Weapon cards conveniently appeared in Yuma's deck when he dueled Vector, I was a little steamed for a while but this is just absurdity.

I haven't watched Yugioh since I was a kid, but isn't this basically the whole show? It seems like every duel has the players pulling cards out their butts at the right time and flagrantly breaking the rules of the game.

Starwulf
2015-01-15, 12:50 AM
Meh, you're a better person then I am if you were able to stay loyal to the Yugioh show for this long Lheticus, after the Battle Academy show I"ve been unable to tolerate any of the crap/nonsense that the shows become. Show hit it's highpoint during the Marik arc, managed to stay decent till the end of Yugi's story, picked up a bit during Battle Academy, then fell of sharply during the 2nd season of it and has been trash since. Same goes for the cards, can't stand half the crap they've spewed out nowadays. Give me my good old flip deck any day of the week.

-D-
2015-01-15, 01:12 AM
Gotta leave this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0J88R2gJtk

Calamity
2015-01-15, 01:51 AM
While its always been a part of Yugioh, ZEXAL was notably bad for this kind of thing all the way through and it is the reason it's one of my least favourite of the spin-offs. It didn't start with ZEXAL though, as I can pretty much describe the latter half of 5Ds in the same way, this was when the marketing got way out of hand and almost every episode they were hamfistedly trying to promote some kind of new card which was usually pulled out inexplicably by one of the main characters. So I don't blame you for getting fed up with it, I did enjoy the last story arc of ZEXAL, but yeah it is a bit tiresome towards the end.

Being someone who watches the Japanese versions, I can tell you not to lose hope though, as ARC-V is way, WAY more faithful to the actual card game and its mechanics (including adding some characters that use existing meta decks that do actually play like their RL counterparts, as well as the return of old summoning methods, honestly it's like a love letter to all YGO fans, those who enjoyed DM, those who enjoyed the spin-offs and those who just like playing the card game, and that's awesome). Not only that, but it puts its story first, rather than trying to shoehorn in a new card to sell every episode. I mean, don't get me wrong, it has time to throw all of its potential away like 5Ds did, but it's a more promising start than ZEXAL had.

Lheticus
2015-01-16, 07:48 AM
Meh, you're a better person then I am if you were able to stay loyal to the Yugioh show for this long Lheticus, after the Battle Academy show I"ve been unable to tolerate any of the crap/nonsense that the shows become. Show hit it's highpoint during the Marik arc, managed to stay decent till the end of Yugi's story, picked up a bit during Battle Academy, then fell of sharply during the 2nd season of it and has been trash since. Same goes for the cards, can't stand half the crap they've spewed out nowadays. Give me my good old flip deck any day of the week.

What can I say, I have a well above average tolerance for hokey plot devices. XD It took ZEXAL at the point it's at to reach my breaking point, so I think this is pretty darn safe to say.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-01-29, 01:30 AM
The Don Thousand Duel was sorta terrible as a whole, but I will say in all fairness Super Magical Cards from another dimension so really it was less of a "Duel Monsters" game and more of a "battle between 3 super magical forces, using Duel Monsters" as a back drop.

Zexal got insane with the random cards being added to a deck, especially late series. However I will say that the Badguys in Zexal are probably the best set of the entire series, the Barions(Baryions? heck if I know the spelling there) are a billion times more deep than most of the badguys in Yugioh, and I liked that.

I also liked that in the last duel

Yuma straight up tells Shark and Astral that he will save all 3 worlds because letting one be destroyed to save the others is Bullcrap

It is not an uncommon thing in Yugioh...but heck if I did not love that moment anyways

Lheticus
2015-02-04, 08:03 AM
The Don Thousand Duel was sorta terrible as a whole, but I will say in all fairness Super Magical Cards from another dimension so really it was less of a "Duel Monsters" game and more of a "battle between 3 super magical forces, using Duel Monsters" as a back drop.

Zexal got insane with the random cards being added to a deck, especially late series. However I will say that the Badguys in Zexal are probably the best set of the entire series, the Barions(Baryions? heck if I know the spelling there) are a billion times more deep than most of the badguys in Yugioh, and I liked that.

I also liked that in the last duel

Yuma straight up tells Shark and Astral that he will save all 3 worlds because letting one be destroyed to save the others is Bullcrap

It is not an uncommon thing in Yugioh...but heck if I did not love that moment anyways

Some good points there. Looking at it not as a "duel" in the traditional Yugioh sense of the word but more of a symbolic battle is a good perspective. That stuff you said about the BariAN Emperors as well probably helped me stick things out. Still, there's one thing I can't get over--have you SEEN how absurd Yuma looks under ZEXAL III form? He looks freaking RADIOACTIVE to me! It's just...ridiculous. Silly. Freaking dumb. XD

ryuplaneswalker
2015-02-04, 08:37 AM
Yes, but well *shrug* 5DS had a guy from the future send back...3 robots representing various times in his life that could fuse with motor cycles, and he himself later fused with a field spell so a 12 year old in gundam cosplay is not really THAT strange.

by the way..Arc V is really good, just get past...the initial concept of action duels and the characters deck and you will be surprised.

They use all the old summoning styles, including XYZ...and RITUALS! RITUALS SHOW UP!!!!!

Lethologica
2015-02-05, 12:29 PM
"Doesn't anybody know how to play this game?"

Lheticus
2015-02-16, 12:46 PM
I gotta say though, the duel between Astral and Yuma going on now is really making up ground. It's VERY satisfying to see Yuma just plow through every Utopia form, each more ridiculous and breaking the games they debuted in than the last that they ever used together--and with relatively mundane strategies. A shame no ZEXAL weapons are being defeated, but yeah.