PDA

View Full Version : Wizard combat form

ivanbin
2015-01-13, 04:22 PM
If I am a level 7 wizard, how do I make myself "powerful" in the physical sense?

I am looking at:
1)Polymorph into Treant, for high str and nat armor
2) mage armor and shield spwlls for AC
3) Bulls strength for more str.
4) Elation for more str.

Any other things I can do?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-13, 04:27 PM
You do know that most these spells have relatively short durations (not hours/lvl). If you were to stack them all you would get them for one fight and honestly, the final result wouldn't be all that great. Assuming a strong form with polymorph will often go far enough in combat that further effort isn't needed (it is just that good of a spell).

ivanbin
2015-01-13, 04:33 PM
Yeh I know. This isnt for all day battle. More like a pre-buff before entering a place you KNOW contains enemies you can beat silly.

Tvtyrant
2015-01-13, 08:57 PM
Hydra form, wraith strike, have power attack. Anythung CR approps will die.

ivanbin
2015-01-13, 09:07 PM
Ohh! Thats a thought. Is being a Cryohydra exactly the same just with added breath attack? Or does it add HD?

How does a hydra perform somatic components i wonder...

Blackhawk748
2015-01-13, 09:20 PM
Ohh! Thats a thought. Is being a Cryohydra exactly the same just with added breath attack? Or does it add HD?

How does a hydra perform somatic components i wonder...

Firstly you wont get its breath weapon, unless you have Assume Supernatural Ability, secondly, no. Thirdly, it cant, this is pretty much the only downside to being a transmuter.

ivanbin
2015-01-13, 09:23 PM
Huh... I thought maybe it uses a paw or something... or maybe it waves its heads around.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2015-01-13, 10:00 PM
That's why gishes prefer humanoid-shaped forms like the Cave Troll or War Troll, or if they're lucky enough to have the Outsider type, a Jarilith or Kelvezu.

ivanbin
2015-01-13, 10:06 PM
Question: if I AM a hydra, do i get the head growing thing? Or do my heads not grow back if sundered?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2015-01-14, 12:14 AM
Question: if I AM a hydra, do i get the head growing thing? Or do my heads not grow back if sundered?Technically it's a DM call on whether hydra head re-growing is an [Ex] special attack since it's not listed... but I challenge you to find a DM who'd rule it as such.

Either way the point is moot, since most PCs can't turn into huge sized creatures, as Polymorph inherits this line from Alter Self:
The new form must be within one size category of your normal size.

incarnate236
2015-01-14, 01:43 AM
Transform your familiar into a treant and ride it. Most fun I ever had in a campaign. Also there is a decent by HD thread you can find in Wizards archives.