PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Kobolds; speed bumps no longer? (Critiques and advice please!)

Jesterface
2015-01-13, 04:23 PM
The dragons of Fold are a formidable force; their motives often inscrutable to anyone except another dragon, and their power matching and sometimes surpassing the Titans and the giants of old. Their skill in arcane spellcraft and their sheer physical might in battle are both unquestionable. They hold ancient lore and hoard vast collections of treasure. The only thing keeping their numbers in check is their in-fighting; almost bred into them from being hatched in large clutches who must then conquer their clutchmates to survive. Their frequent use of an ability to adopt a humanoid form has led to them producing dozens of humanoids gifted with their innately magical bloodlines and is theorised to be one of the sources of sorcerous ability in many races.

One race, however, claims that it is directly descended from dragons, and professes supreme sorcerous power because of it... Much to the dismay of many dragons. They are the kobolds, small, wiry reptilian humanoids found in two environments; temperate hills, filled with cave systems and tunnels that link to the deeper world within Fold, and the searing deserts of the Wastes. Kobold communities are led by a chieftain, almost exclusively a sorcerer of some power, who will be advised by a council of advisors. These advisors are often priests, artisans and the occasional sorcerer, who is something between a rival and a protegé of the chief; they're aim is to replace the chief, but also to learn their secrets. Kobold artisans have a strange reputation for making items of exacting quality, but never making them in a particularly exquisite fashion; as a race, they hold utility and function above form and decoration. Due to their insular nature, kobolds are rarely seen outside of their territories, those few that are seen frequently are either designated envoys, or exiles. Exiles will sometimes find employ in the mines of other races, or possibly as "security experts". These so-called security experts are either used to test the defenses of mansions, palaces and tombs, or to provide the 'security'. While they aren't seen as being anywhere near as savage as the orcs, or possessing the reputation of the goblinoids, kobolds are rarely found in the same numbers or in positions that grant them prestige or high regard. Kobolds will rarely cause trouble in a community, and if exiled will often "adapt" and try to blend in, though some will be incredibly withdrawn and will cling to the ways of their people.

The "Mountain kobolds" have claimed an existence in the mineral rich mountains just below the freezing Northlands, where their underground mines and tunnels maintain a warmth from the earth itself. Being a cold-blooded race, they tend to avoid moving to the surface unless necessary, such as when they need to hunt or maybe trade some of their mineral wealth. While dwarves are unmatched in their skill of working with stone and metal, kobolds are supremely diligent in their efforts to mine the materials; even an infant can hold and swing a pickaxe. Kobolds are quite a xenophobic race, and while willing to trade for supplies and riches (they share their ancestors' love of pretty baubles and coins) they avoid other races as much as possible, even cruelly dispatching trespassers, unwitting or otherwise. Their fear and paranoia has led them to lay numerous traps within their tunnels, to the point where trapmaking is practically an artform. Should the traps fail, or if no other option is available, a kobold will fight tooth and nail (literally) to defend its home, but a kobold understands that its size and relative weakness will do it no merit when pitted against larger beings. Kobolds make up for their size by fighting with guile, and with large numbers; a kobold community will often band together to drive off intruders.

Mountain kobolds are small, rarely exceeding 3ft in height, and rarely, if ever, weigh more than 50lbs. Their scaly hide (called squamae) is strangely velvety, though bumpy and comes in various shades of orange and tan, often mottled with greys and browns. Their heads are broad at the back, but lead to a narrower snout. Their typically green or yellowish eyes are large and slightly protuberant, and the orbits are topped with six bony projections. Kobolds are a primarily nocturnal race, and coupled with their subterranean life, this has led them to eschew the sun almost completely; a kobold out in the mountain sun is at a disadvantage. A kobold's mouth is a considerable part of its skull and contains many sharp, needlelike teeth, and a slightly stretchy tongue. Kobolds dress in utilitarian, hard-wearing clothing; for them work and toil is part of everyday life and ostentation and finery is to be left for special celebrations. Non-kobolds find it near impossible to differentiate between male and female kobolds when they're dressed in their 'work clothes'.

Kobold priests will lead their community in worship of Tiamat, proclaiming her the great progenitor of their race; but unlike most venerators of the Queen of Scalykind, kobolds don't make aggressive attempts at conquest, and believe their diligent digging and harvesting of the earth is a fitting tribute of claiming wealth in her name.

Ability adjustments: -2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
Race: Humanoid (Reptilian, Dragonblood)
Speed: 30ft land speed, 20ft climb speed.
Size: Small.
Darkvision 90ft.
Light sensitivty: Mountain kobolds are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
+1 natural armour bonus to AC.
Kobolds gain two claw attacks (1d4) and one secondary bite attack (1d4).
Kobolds gain a +4 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking) checks. Craft (trapmaking) is considered to be a class skill for kobolds.
Kobolds receive a +2 racial bonus on Profession (Miner) and Search checks. Mountain kobolds receive a +8 racial bonus on climb checks, and may "Take 10" on Climb checks, even when rushed or threatened. A kobold may use its Dexterity modifier on Climb checks instead of its Strength modifier.
Kobolds are proficient with light and heavy picks. Kobolds can also treat greatpicks as martial weapons.
Automatic languages: Draconic.
Bonus languages: Common, Undercommon.
Favoured class: Sorcerer.

Within the scorching sands of the great Wastes surrounding the nations Kashia and Denfise, the land is scoured for water and the remaining relics of the ancient and collapsed human empire that lived there. Between the hazards set by the terrain and climate, explorers, nomads and adventurers are often beset by beasts of the sands, all seeking to slake their thirst, but there lies a less obvious threat; the desert kobolds. Through sheer luck of reptilian physiology, kobolds seemed oddly well-adapted to the desert lifestyle; they need heat to maintain a number of bodily functions and their incredibly efficient usage of energy and water means they don't need to eat or drink anywhere near as much as a human, or even a gnome or halfling. Desert kobolds live within the foothills and badlands of the Waste but, unlike their temperate cousins, they don't live underground. Their ability to see in the dark is lessened, but they aren't as hindered by the sun. Their society is largely similar, but they are less inclined to dig for riches, often choosing to waylay travellers and caravans for their riches instead. This is less a sign of being braver or less paranoid, but more an indication of a slightly more foolhardy nature. That said, kobolds also have something of a knack for finding food and water in the desert, and can often be encouraged to aid other races in exchange for gold, jewels and similar items, though their skill pales somewhat when compared to the ability of the goblinoid bhukas.

Desert kobolds are stockier than their mountain analogues and have a much rougher looking squamae. Their heads a flatter and broader, with similar spiky protusions above their eyes, which are smaller and less prominent. Their mouths and claws are just as dangerous though. Their hide is usually a sandy colour, though stony greys and beiges are often mottled or marbled through it, with some individuals possessing flashes of vibrant earthy reds, oranges or yellows and their eyes are often shades of yellow or brown-green. Desert kobolds have the unusual ability to flex their skin in a way that makes the rougher and more spiny edges of their hide stand prominent. Presumably some kind of defense mechanism against larger predators snatching them up.

Desert kobolds do not share the mountain kobolds' cultural bent for mining, and as such do not train in the use of a pickaxe, but do possess the same affinity for traps, owing to a similar xenophobia. Desert kobolds are also cunning and wily enough to utilise the landscape against their foes, understanding the terrain and flora of their homeland as few others do.

Ability adjustments: -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom.
Race: Humanoid (Reptilian, Dragonblood)
Speed: 30ft.
Size: Small.
+1 natural armour bonus to AC.
Natural attacks: Two claws (1d4) and one secondary bite (1d4).
Kobolds receive a +4 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking) checks. Craft (trapmaking) is always a class skill for kobolds.
Kobolds receive a +2 racial bonus on Climb, Search and Survival checks. Kobolds can use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier on Climb checks.
When grappled by an opponent at least two sizes larger, a desert kobold can make a touch attack against the opponent grappling them as a standard action. If the attack succeeds they deal 1d6 points of piercing damage.
Automatic languages: Draconic.
Bonus languages: Common, Undercommon.
Favoured class: Rogue.

Okay, so my setting (D&D 3.5) is a world where some of the more monstrous races (orcs, goblinoids and kobolds) are seen less as adventurer-fighting speed bumps and actual races and cultures in the larger scheme of things, some even taking a place within society as a whole (which is undergoing an industrial revolution). These kobolds are intended to be less cannon fodder mooks and more a plausible threat and even an option as a playable race.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on these? Ideas for them came from standard kobold and desert kobold, with inspiration from various species of gecko and agama lizards (such as bearded dragons).

ReturnOfTheKing
2015-01-13, 10:07 PM
Specify edition, please. Interesting idea, and I agree Kobolds could be a more credible threat.

Jesterface
2015-01-14, 03:44 AM
Ah, bugger, will edit accordingly!

Baphomet
2015-01-14, 04:22 AM
Honestly, these races might be a little bit lackluster, and I have a hard time picturing any PCs wanting to play as them. None of their bonuses seem to measure up to the fact that they have a con penalty and a net -2 to ability scores. d3 natural weapons will become obsolete quickly, and PCs don't often have a use for craft (trapmaking), though I understand the reasoning behind it. Compare to, say, a gnome or a halfling, each of which also have small size, a net +0 to ability scores with no con penalty, and are filled out with a few skill boosts which, though they won't necessarily be relevant, at least aren't a wasted feature that will become obsolete.

The exception comes if the player in question is hoping to exploit all the dragonwrought cheese to give them dragon type, age bonuses with no penalty, qualification for epic feats early, and all the other stuff that comes with that. In which case, for games where that's allowed, kobolds were never a speed bump to begin with. They are one of the most powerful races and they don't need any help.

Assuming you aren't allowing that stuff, I'd compare them with the other common PC races of small size when trying to measure their overall value rather than comparing them with common NPC races, which tend to be sort of weaker. Compared to the base Kobold, this is strictly an improvement...it just still doesn't really measure up in usefulness to a gnome or halfling.

Jesterface
2015-01-14, 04:58 AM
Fair input. Assuming that "Dragonwrought" is in play, but I'd be restricting the amount of cheesey abuse that can be put under (I don't play with many hardcore gamers, and most of my players are new and probably been introduced to the game through me), do you have any suggestions on how to tweak them and bring them in line with Gnome or Halfling? (I'm trying to avoid all my small races having a flat -2 Str, +2 Dex as my Halflings AND Goblins both have those stats).

I understand this is often an optimisation board, but I'm trying to work equal measures of fluff and crunch... If that helps understand my thinking at all.

Baphomet
2015-01-14, 07:47 AM
Fair input. Assuming that "Dragonwrought" is in play, but I'd be restricting the amount of cheesey abuse that can be put under (I don't play with many hardcore gamers, and most of my players are new and probably been introduced to the game through me), do you have any suggestions on how to tweak them and bring them in line with Gnome or Halfling? (I'm trying to avoid all my small races having a flat -2 Str, +2 Dex as my Halflings AND Goblins both have those stats).

I understand this is often an optimisation board, but I'm trying to work equal measures of fluff and crunch... If that helps understand my thinking at all.
No, I understand. It doesn't need to be optimized, but it really ought to at least be viable.

I personally wouldn't allow the dragonwrought stuff at all, if I were you. What it does is change a Kobold's type to dragon. Creatures of the dragon type get bonuses but not penalties to ability scores for aging, meaning that basically every dragonwrought kobold player chooses to be venerable age, since that gives them a free +3 to every mental ability score with no downside. That's not even venturing very far into the serious cheese, but it already breaks character balance.

Something that would probably make them a little suboptimal but still a valid choice would be to give them a net +0 to ability scores. -2 str and +2 dex does make the most sense if you're only penalizing one and raising one, but another thing that might work would be -2 str and con, +2 dex and int, since they're supposed to be pretty clever in their own weird way. Or maybe cha? They seem to favor sorcery over wizardry, and it fits better with their draconic heritage.

Jesterface
2015-01-14, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I get how Dragonwrought can be horrendously abused. As a DM, I'd allow the feat but not the abuse, but that's just me.

I was thinking maybe adding in another bump to a stat, Int would fit both, regardless of sorcerous inclination; the idea of them being shrewd and coldly calculating (working with reptiles I've seen how their minds work) certainly appeals.

Would you suggest any changes to other attributes? My thoughts earlier were maybe giving the mountain version a climb speed (replacing the racial climb bonus), but keeping the "change to Dex" mechanic. I'm fairly happy with the desert race as it stands, but am unsure as to whether they need anything fixing about them.

Would bumping the bite attack up to 1d4 be a good idea? (Or bite and claws? I kinda like the idea that their bite might be relatively powerful for their size.)

Baphomet
2015-01-14, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I get how Dragonwrought can be horrendously abused. As a DM, I'd allow the feat but not the abuse, but that's just me.

I was thinking maybe adding in another bump to a stat, Int would fit both, regardless of sorcerous inclination; the idea of them being shrewd and coldly calculating (working with reptiles I've seen how their minds work) certainly appeals.

Would you suggest any changes to other attributes? My thoughts earlier were maybe giving the mountain version a climb speed (replacing the racial climb bonus), but keeping the "change to Dex" mechanic. I'm fairly happy with the desert race as it stands, but am unsure as to whether they need anything fixing about them.

Would bumping the bite attack up to 1d4 be a good idea? (Or bite and claws? I kinda like the idea that their bite might be relatively powerful for their size.)

Ability score wise, it's really your call, so long as it's a net +0. You could differentiate the two subraces more by giving one a cha bonus and the other an int bonus. I could even see you justifying -2 str, +4 dex, -2 con (but probably not -2 str, +4 dex, -2 wis; everybody needs con, but some people don't need wis).

I don't know how the natural weapons would play out, honestly, but here's my gut feeling about them. Once a creature gets a few class levels and magic items, natural weapon attacks kind of fall by the wayside. It's much more expensive to buff them than to put an enhancement bonus on a sword. But before that happens, they're quite good. Especially if you've got a few of them, or they're of a type that you can use in addition to weapons (like a bite attack), because here you are basically getting three attacks a round when everyone else has only one. So, if you give your race a flaw that will affect them for their entire career, like an ability score penalty, and you balance it with a natural weapon, that race will be a good choice for low level characters and a bad choice for high ones. Ideally, you want your races to be a balanced choice regardless of their level.

So, if you buff the natural weapon too much, you run the risk of being too good at low levels, which is a bad thing for the DM, and then still being bad at high levels, which is a bad thing for the player. Having the natural weapons just be okay and attaching them to a chassis that is more or less on par with everyone else seems like the right way to go to me, which is about where you'd be at right now with the ability score increases, in my opinion.

That's the non-optimizer response. The optimizer response is that I wouldn't be a class that expects to be in melee if I was a Kobold, anyway. They've got a strength penalty and small size. So, the natural weapons are totally irrelevant and they might as well be 2d6s for all I care.

JBPuffin
2015-01-14, 05:54 PM
Baphomet's ideas are gold, although I think it's funny the kobolds have a 5-foot speed advantage on halflings and gnomes from the PHB. With that said, I say make the claw attacks d4, and maybe putting the bite at d6. Maybe. Otherwise, d4 there, too.

redwizard007
2015-01-14, 09:14 PM
Why do desert kobolds deal 1d6 dmg in a grapple? I see no refrence to this in the write up?

Jesterface
2015-01-15, 05:05 AM
Desert kobolds have the unusual ability to flex their skin in a way that makes the rougher and more spiny edges of their hide stand prominent. Presumably some kind of defense mechanism against larger predators snatching them up.

It was in there; an idea taken from some of the desert lizards like bearded dragon, horned toad and thorny devil.

EDIT: Alterations to racial features made; mountain kobolds have +4 Dex and a climb speed, desert kobolds have +2 Int, both races now have 1d4 natural attacks.

Baphomet
2015-01-15, 07:07 AM
Nice! I can see them filling specific party roles for PCs, but not dominating them, they're flavorful, and unique enough fluff- and ability-wise to differentiate themselves from the common choices. The d4 natural attacks are an improvement, but I don't think they're enough to cause problems. Personally, I think they're good to go out of the box like this.

Jesterface
2015-01-15, 07:14 AM
Wicked, this probably will make my potential two desert kobold players (wizard and rogue) for a game I'm setting up IRL rather happy.

Thanks for all the input everyone, especially Baphonmet; you've been a huge help.