PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder RotR - Nualia's transformation.

Nibbens
2015-01-13, 07:33 PM
So, for those of you who are playing rise of the rune lords - spoiler alert!

Anyway, now that that's out the way. Nualia is attempting to become a demon to rid herself of her celestial "taint" by various rituals including burning sandpoint.

There's a caveat that says if Nualia escapes her encounter with the PC's she can become a reoccurring villain or at the very least, she comes back.

I haven't read all the way ahead so I don't know if they ever mention where she "would" come back. But, where would be a good place for her to do so?

Also, do you think the next time the PC's encounter her she's could be more and more a full fledged demon? (Ideally, if she's a reoccurring villain, each time they see her more parts of her body have been transformed) Are there ways to make this possible via templates or such?

Added this after I wrote the same thing in response to someone further down the thread:
I want to play up the fact that she really is a tragic figure. Her backstory and reasoning are all quite literally not her fault. When my PC's kill her, I want it to feel like they are doing her mercy, even if Nualia never realizes it - as twisted in mind (and body) as she's becoming. So I'm really looking for dramatic deformities and such, any suggestions for this?

EDIT: As requested, I'm going to post her stats here for reference, straight out of the RotR anniversary edition.

Nualia, XP1600, CR5, HP 59
Female aasimar cleric of Lamashtu 4/fighter 2 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 7)
NUALIA
CE Medium outsider (native)
lnit +1; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5
DEFENSE
AC 18, touch 11, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor, +2 deflection, + 1 Dex, -2 fury of the Abyss)
hp 59 (6 HD; 4d8+2d1 0+26)
Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +8; +1 vs. fear
Defensive Abilities bravery +1; Resist
acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee + 1 bastard sword + 10 (1d10+4/19-20), claw +3 (1d6+1)
Ranged mwk composite longbow +7 (1d8+3/x3)
Special Attacks channel negative energy 6/day (DC 15, 2d6), ferocious strike (+2 damage) 6/day, fury of the Abyss (+2) 6/day, Lamashtu's Mark (DC 16)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 6th; concentration +9)
1/day - daylight
Spells Prepared (CL 4th; concentration +7)
2nd - bull's strength0, eat's grace, cure moderate wounds, shatter (DC 15)
1st - divine favor, doom0 (DC 14), obscuring mist, sanctuary (DC 14), shield of faith
0 (at will) - bleed (DC 13), detect magic, mending, stabilize
D Domain spell; Domains Demon, Ferocity
TACTICS
Before Combat If Nualia suspects combat is imminent, she casts bull's strength, eat's grace, and shield of faith on herself. During Com bat Nualia activates her Sihedron medallion as a free action at the start of combat to gain false life and casts divine favor. She prefers to fight with her bastard sword, her face an impassive mask save tor her eyes, which blaze with anger. She uses fury of the Abyss on each of the first 6 rounds of combat (these bonuses are included in the slats above), and activates her ferocious strike on the first six successful hits. She saves shatter to use on any weapon that seems to be particularly dangerous in an enemy's hands. It possible, she moves into the hall to the south so that it's harder to surround her, and so she has an escape route handy, using channeled negative energy to clear a path if needed.
Morale Nualia is loath to abandon her hard work, but if reduced to fewer than 15 hit points, she does just that, reasoning that escape and eventual revenge is better than death at the hands of the PCs. She uses obscuring mist and/or sanctuary to aid her escape, then does her best to flee Thistletop, ordering any surviving minions she encounters to guard her retreat. If she escapes, she makes her way to Magnimar to reunite with the Skinsaw Cult-see page 67 for more details.
Base Statistics Without her prep spells, Nualia's statistics changeas follows:
AC 16, touch 9, flat-tooted 16; hp 49; Ref +1, Melee +1 bastard sword +8 (1d10+2/19-20), claw +1 (1d6); Ranged
mwk composite longbow +5 (1d8+1jx3); Str 12, Dex 8; CMB +6, CMD 15.
STATISTICS
Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, lnt 10, Wis 16, Cha 17
Base Atk +5; CMB +8; CMD 21
Feats Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Lamashtu's Mark, Power Attack, Selective Channeling, Weapon Focus
(bastard sword)
Skills Diplomacy +5, Intimidate +12, Knowledge (religion) +8, Linguistics +4, Perception +5
Languages Celestial, Common, Goblin
Gear +1 breastplate, +1 bastard sword, masterwork composite longbow with 20 arrows, Sihedron medallion, gold holysymbol (100 gp), 7 pp, 5 gp
SPECIAl ABILITIES
Subdomains Nualia's subdomains (introduced in the Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player's Guide) grant her unusual abilities. Fury of the Abyss allows her to gain a +2 bonus on melee attacks, melee damage rolls, and combat maneuver checks for 1 round as a swift action, during which round she takes a -2 penalty to her AC. Ferocious strike allows her to gain a +2 bonus on damage rolls with a melee attack up to six times per day.

These stats and abilities in my game, however, have been greatly increased, just to give my rotor-rooting PC's a bit more of a challenge. lol.

Svata
2015-01-13, 10:09 PM
Hmm, how's she statted? Knowing that will help me know how to maje ger more demon-y.

skypse
2015-01-14, 09:19 AM
I'm DM on the specific campaign and when she was encountered in Thistletop she managed to escape. This is what I've done since:

First of all I keep leveling her up just like the book instructs, taking levels in cleric before going for the prestige and keeping her 2 levels above the average party level. For the cleric spells I just try and keep them evil, demonic and combat oriented flavour and her equipment according to her level. Not anything tremendous though. A cloak of resistance here, a headband there, standard stuff more or less. I've used her in a couple of downtime sidequests by now, and I also included her in Magnimmar. I don't know how/if I will keep her relevant but I generally like playing NPCs that are not just quest givers but they also have a role in the story (I also kept Ameiko alive and relevant and will continue to) but in any case as long as my PCs don't kill her and I decide to keep using her, I will use the same guidelines.

As far as the transformation is concerned, she started off with an arm so keep it that way. Later she gets the other arm, the legs, some scars on the face and around level 12-13 (the PCs must be 9-10 at that point) she gets her wings with 60 fly speed poor, until level 15 that she knows how to use them so you improve manoeuvrability. If she is still relevant at level 16+ you transform her completely, giving her a template (let's say demonic) and add her a couple of SLAs instead of normal class levels.

Nibbens
2015-01-14, 10:45 AM
I'm DM on the specific campaign and when she was encountered in Thistletop she managed to escape. This is what I've done since:

First of all I keep leveling her up just like the book instructs, taking levels in cleric before going for the prestige

Which prestige class, exactly?

I've used her in a couple of downtime sidequests by now, and I also included her in Magnimmar.

Those are my short term plans too, as the book states. However, I'm not looking to get her killed there, I want her to survive the encounter (possibly escape again) so she becomes "reoccurring."

I generally like playing NPCs that are not just quest givers but they also have a role in the story (I also kept Ameiko alive and relevant and will continue to) but in any case as long as my PCs don't kill her and I decide to keep using her, I will use the same guidelines.

Same here - my PC's are REALLY active during their downtime exploring the town and such. I wanted to get them grounded to the place so they feel like the place is a home to go back to throughout the AP.

As far as the transformation is concerned, she started off with an arm so keep it that way. Later she gets the other arm, the legs, some scars on the face and around level 12-13 (the PCs must be 9-10 at that point) she gets her wings with 60 fly speed poor, until level 15 that she knows how to use them so you improve manoeuvrability. If she is still relevant at level 16+ you transform her completely, giving her a template (let's say demonic) and add her a couple of SLAs instead of normal class levels.

I want to play up the fact that she really is a tragic figure. Her backstory and reasoning are all quite literally not her fault. When my PC's kill her, I want it to feel like they are doing her mercy, even if Nualia never realizes it - as twisted in mind (and body) as she's becoming. So I'm really looking for dramatic deformities and such, any suggestions for this?

skypse
2015-01-15, 10:04 AM
Which prestige class, exactly?

Divine Scion if I remember correctly. If you have the Anniversary book, it says in it. I don't have it handy right now so I am not 100% sure. But I am confident enough to write it down :D

Same here - my PC's are REALLY active during their downtime exploring the town and such. I wanted to get them grounded to the place so they feel like the place is a home to go back to throughout the AP.

Well mine were a bit anxious to explore and find magic items n stuff so they really wanted to leave Sandpoint and go to Magnimar. After 2-3 side-quests in there, they decided to use the city as their base since it is big enough to find whatever they want sooner or later.

So instead of the "Succubus" she would go the abomination type of demon? Well I don't know how you will make this happen but you can always present her with scars (Lamashtu's trademark), deformed skin getting darker or "wrinkly" like how Star Wars Episode 3 shoved up our holes that the Emperor got wrinkles after using Force Lightning. So due to the overuse of Nualia's demonic powers she now looks old and ugly with scars, ugly wings, a tail, horns, claws or whatever else your imagination despises!

Helgraf
2016-04-11, 11:06 PM
Spells Prepared (CL 4th; concentration +7)
2nd - bull's strength0, eat's grace, cure moderate wounds, shatter (DC 15)

Cat's grace isn't on the cleric spell list - how does she have access to it?