PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of Xen'drik [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

JDL
2015-01-13, 10:00 PM
Secrets of Xen'drik [OOC] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?392869-Secrets-of-Xen-drik-OOC)

As you pass beneath the great arch, covered in flowering creepers, and enter Respite, you are surrounded by the sweet scent of blooming flowers.

Here the ruins, plant life, and new buildings seem harmonious, one flowing into the next. Even the floating rubble—fragments of long-forgotten majesties—play their part, covered in blooming plants and small trees.

But you, brave adventurers, are not here in Respite for the peaceful rest so many others come to seek. Your goal lies in a far more sinister place, the necropolis of Delera's Watch.

There are more dead than living in Respite, and their home is this city of graves. Named after the tomb of Delera Omaren, one of the city founders of Stormreach, the necropolis is the resting place for Storm Lords, pirate captains, and wealthy explorers. The pirate tombs are filled with traps and wards, and undead guardians are prepared to stop robbers from frustrating the dead pirates’ attempts to take their wealth and treasure maps with them.

As a burial site, this land is very old. The necropolis’s hillocks are all burial mounds from the Age of Giants, and below the surface lie sepulchers and bone-filled pits. Despite constant efforts to stop them, undead often rise from these dark places, and stories abound of catacombs where mummified corpses have lain undisturbed for more than forty thousand years.

Using the land around Delera’s Watch as a makeshift graveyard, generations of poorer citizens have, depending on their cultures, buried their dead in simple graves or left corpses out for scavengers to devour. This hodgepodge of grave markers and bone piles is like a moat around the stately tombs and sarcophagi of Delera’s Watch itself.

Deep within the necropolis lies the tomb you seek. Two days ago, a family of mourners ventured up into the graveyard and didn't return. A pair of city guards investigated, but these guards vanished as well. The family of the mourners are in a panic. They've always feared the graveyards and tombs, but never has such misfortune struck during broad daylight. The worst part of it all is that the leader of the group, a skilled healer named Larietta d'Jorasco, is a close friend of your party and your primary contact within House Jorasco for obtaining healing and supplies.

With the promise of 50 gold pieces each to discover the fate of the mourners and the urgent imperative to find your friend Larietta, your party agrees to brave the dangers of Delera's Watch. Assembling at the Garden of Respite, you find a private alcove amongst the fragrant blossoms with sturdy stone benches around a table and begin to make your plans for your journey.

abadguy
2015-01-13, 11:13 PM
"Pfah, too many flowers," Terath gruff as his "keen elven senses" caught just a bit too much flower fragrances and pollen in his nostrils.

Anyone here got a map of the necropolis? Would prove very useful instead of stumbling around in the dark and unknown. Wouldn't hurt to load up on more holy water too, I'd expect there to be a bunch of undead to fight.

Are we standing right at the entrance to the necropolis? If so I would like to do a Search to identify any tracks going in and out Nevermind I just realised we're at the Garden described in the OOC, not at the Necropolis yet
Search [roll0]
Survival (for Track purposes) [roll1]

JDL
2015-01-13, 11:27 PM
The garden does indeed have a tendency to offend sensitive noses, particularly the specimens of carnivorous plants native to Xen'drik that use the scent of carrion to attract prey. Your efforts at procuring a map have been successful. One of your companions spreads before you a depiction of Stormreach and it's surrounds, highlighting the areas of interest to your group.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lZkm--AWKhw/TZCWQ-ooE2I/AAAAAAAAAoQ/4Oxrt63iJx4/s1600/city-of-stormreach.jpg

Current Location: 21 (Garden of Respite)
Target Location: 20 (Delera's Watch)

You estimate from examining the map that a journey into the necropolis by foot would take you little more than an hour's walking.

hoplathemightly
2015-01-14, 02:21 AM
Akasigho stares longingly at the beautiful desert flora, seemingly lost for a moment as Terath speaks before drifting back to the concerns at hand.

I've many gold bits, an investment in a few vials of holy water would be most wise. Better to be prepared than dead. A smile cracks her serene visage. She reclines to better appreciate the warm air. Her near nakedness might be a concern to others, but she is blissfully ignorant.

For fun, a Knowledge Nature check to see if Akasigho knows the name of those desert flowers. [roll0]
I'm voting that we buy a few vials of holy water, the extra time won't be a big issue I hope. What time is it? I'm assuming its near midday.

JDL
2015-01-14, 02:51 AM
Glancing around the gardens, you note a wide variety of the plants here are native Xen'drik cultivations, as befits the full exposure to the local climate. However you spy a small plantation of familiar flora from your former home. The djinn blossoms move gently in the breeze, their perfume occasionally demanding your memories return to the lands you left behind long ago, while a small crop of flame cloves makes you miss the taste of your homeland's food.

Your group has met early in the morning so as to give the maximum time to prepare and purchase equipment. At present it is eight bells, and the majority of the local vendors should be opening to do business right now.

Gintash
2015-01-14, 03:00 AM
Baineth has a skip in her step as she walks through the garden. Unlike Terath she enjoys the smells from the flowers and how they mix together peacefully into something new. Like how planting different coloured flowers looks different from planting the same colours.

"Cheer up Terath, its a lovely day so we may as well enjoy it. Flowers and all. Or else the next thing you know they will all be gone and you will miss them oh so terribly" Baineth says smiling at him happily as she dances around a little.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-14, 05:39 AM
Having a poor understanding of the concept of "scent", Anvil ignores the conversation about flowers like he often does with conversations that don't concern forging, tactics, strategy, or combat. He has no idea that it is annoying. Staring at the map, his deep, rumbly voice emits from somewhere within his armor, "Do we know where the tomb is? The one Larietta was heading to?"

JDL
2015-01-14, 09:15 AM
One of your companions remembers the description of the tomb. The hill it stands upon is very distinctive, with a wrought iron gate bearing twin doves in flight worked into the design. There should be little trouble following the path to get there once you are ready to depart.

hoplathemightly
2015-01-14, 04:19 PM
Akasigho rubs her cleanly shaved scalp, extends her hand into the flora nearby and a cobra slithers out and up her arm. She stands and stretches, the lazy morning breeze and heavy scent of flowers saps the energy from her. After a few hops and stretches she declares, Let's be off! I can recognize the tomb, we know where the entrance to Delera's Watch is, I only wish to procure some Holy Water. A rendezvous?

Gintash
2015-01-14, 05:21 PM
"I'll come with you Akasigho, I'm not thinking of buying anything but may as well come too" Baineth says as she skips over to her, smiling.

JDL
2015-01-14, 09:03 PM
Finished with your preparations and planning your adventuring group depart, eager to get underway. A quick stop is all it takes to make a few final purchases, and then you're walking towards the entrance to Delera's Watch. The guards at the gate to the necropolis nod at you solemnly, aware of your task. They allow you to enter and bid you good luck.

The difference between the graveyard and the previous district is distinct. Stunted trees, twisted and fouled by feeding on the corrupt soil, dot the landscape. Flocks of ravens roost in their branches, watching you closely in the hopes you represent their next meal. The main pathway has stone markers every hundred feet bearing wards and holy symbols against the undead. It appears the pathway is well protected from evil creatures. Smaller pathways branch off at intervals to lead towards the final and not so final resting places of Stormreach's dead. Some of these are grand structures built of stone housing generations of nobility, others are simple headstones, and in places you see bone piles and ashen pyres from those that burn their dead or leave them for the scavengers.

After a little less than an hour's walk you see your goal ahead. The twin doves stand clearly on a wrought iron gate set into a solid stone walled graveyard. The gates stand open, and as you walk up towards the main mausoleum you observe the ground is dotted with tombstones. A narrow path winds its way up the hill toward the large structure flanked by ancient, life-sized statues of a warrior and a priest. Two humanoids lie sprawled on the mausoleum's steps. Dark liquid seeps out from under the bodies, and beyond them, the doors to the mausoleum are open.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=100832)

Please roll Spot checks

abadguy
2015-01-14, 09:59 PM
Hold, Terath hissed back at the rest of the group. He unsheathes his scimitar and peers forward, looking for signs of movement. That looks like the two guards who were reported missing

The map is a little small, I've been trying to zoom in with little success.
Spot [roll0]

hoplathemightly
2015-01-14, 10:43 PM
Akasigho readies her crossbow, and peers over the head of Terath. They appear quite dead, what's that dark stuff, blood? She struggles with her curiosity and sense of caution for a moment before offering, Perhaps we should check to see if they're truly dead or worse.

Spot Check [roll0]

JDL
2015-01-14, 11:10 PM
Terath's keen senses perceive a pair of glowing red eyes watching him from behind a tombstone, and with growing horror he notes the wolf-like outline crouching low to the ground. Razor sharp teeth gleam wickedly as the creature senses it's been spotted and readies to attack!

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=100840)

Initiative!
Party: [roll0]
Enemies: [roll1]

hoplathemightly
2015-01-14, 11:42 PM
Akasigho trains the end of her crossbow at the low form of the creature Terath has pointed out. She waits patiently for the beast to show itself before pulling the wooden trigger.

Standard Action: Ready- Ready to fire at the beast that Terath spotted when it is in the open and not granted any cover.
I'll make the attack roll now to speed up the posting, if you'd like me to refrain from this in the future, let me know.
Attack roll- [roll0]

abadguy
2015-01-15, 02:01 AM
Terath springs forward, positioning himself just behind one of the tombstones, his scimitar in hand ready to strike.

Thanks for expanding the map!

Move Action: Move 25 ft. to f8
Standard Action: Ready an attack against any monsters who come within melee range
Attack: [roll0]
If Crit, [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Gintash
2015-01-15, 03:39 AM
"Awwwww, no sneak attack for me. Oh well." Baineth says as she readies her crossbow to take a shot at whatever the others were readying themselves towards.

Standard Action: Ready- Ready to fire at the beast when it comes into Baineth's eye range.

Attack = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1]
I think that's right.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-15, 04:55 AM
Without hesitation, Anvil rushes to his left, to stand a few strides away from Terath. He did not notice whatever it was that motivated Terath to ready himself, but he did not need to. Anvil has always instinctively made a target of himself, close enough to his allies that they might move to flank if their enemies took the bait.

Move: to D9, drawing trident while doing so.
Standard: Ready attack if it comes within melee range.
We should call ourselves The Ready Blades.

Trident: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
if critical:
Trident: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

JDL
2015-01-15, 05:32 AM
Each of you ready actions in preparation for the approach of the monster. It does not disappoint, moving with a smooth stride towards Terath. Akasigho and Baineth both let fly with their crossbows as the creature emerges from cover, but the bolts skip harmlessly past the beast. Once within range of Terath the elf swings his scimitar, but it catches the corner of the tombstone he's standing next to and the blow is deflected. The monster then bares its teeth and snaps at Terath's legs!

Move Action: 35 ft. move to f7
Standard Action: Bite attack vs. Terath AC 17

JDL
2015-01-15, 05:35 AM
The creature snarls as Terath kicks it in the nose, blocking the vicious bite. It yelps in pain and to your amazement it speaks!

"You'll pay for that little morsel. Warm meat will taste sweet after eating cold flesh for so long!"

End Round 1
Begin Round 2

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=100854)

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-15, 05:52 AM
A bit confused by what he is seeing, Anvil nevertheless moves into position to grant his friend Terath an advantage by distracting the strange talking dog.

Double-move to f6 via d6.

JDL
2015-01-15, 06:06 AM
As you move to flank the beast you provoke an attack of opportunity!

Attack of opportunity for moving from threatened square e6 to f6
Attack: [roll0] vs. Anvil AC 22

hoplathemightly
2015-01-15, 10:57 AM
Taken aback briefly by the beasts' words, which she doesn't recognize, Akasigho quickly re-positions herself and begins reloading her crossbow. This beast must be intelligent if it can speak, obviously this is no ordinary coyote.

Move: to space L10
Move: reload light crossbow
Knowledge(arcana) check: [roll0]
I suspect this is a worg, so I believe knowledge arcana is applicable.

Gintash
2015-01-15, 05:50 PM
Baineth holds her ground as she reloads her crossbow for a second shot against the beast.

Reload light Crossbow
Knowledge Local check about anything to do with werewolves being in the area.
[roll0]

abadguy
2015-01-15, 10:01 PM
So, you can speak! Too bad it is the language of vile vermin. Die, insolent cur! Terath sneers as he swings his scimitar at the wolf

Std: Attack [roll0]
If crit, [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]

5 ft step to E8

JDL
2015-01-16, 12:34 AM
Akasigho decides the better part of valor is retreat, moving swiftly away and loading a new bolt into her crossbow. She frantically tries to remember what kind of beast this creature is, but the flurry of combat has made what would be a simple task impossible to concentrate on. The thought of those teeth sinking into her skin is the only idea her mind will concentrate on.

Baineth reloads and thinks about whether this creature could be a werewolf. The form appears wolk-like in nature, and Stormreach is known to have a population of werewolves living among the less savory aspects of society, but what from what she knows they are more likely to assume a hybrid form to speak. This creature doesn't resemble any werewolf she's ever heard about.

Terath takes a swing at the beast, but his blow misses as the monster ducks under the slash. It laughs darkly at his failure, then bares its teeth in preparation to attack!

Standard Action: Bite attack vs. Terath AC 21 (+4 AC due to soft cover)

End Round 2
Begin Round 3

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=101013)

abadguy
2015-01-16, 03:01 AM
Ha! Looks like all we are cutting and chomping on is air today! Have at you, dog! Anvil! Do your worst!

5 ft step to F8
Std: Attack [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-16, 04:52 AM
Anvil growls like a stoked furnace, "(Goblin) Tell me, goblin dog, how do I taste?" Then promptly impales the creature with his trident.

Or tries to.

Move Action: Spot check for other approaching enemies. Spot: [roll0]
Standard Action: Attack with trident - Flanking:
Trident: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
if critical:
Trident: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

JDL
2015-01-16, 05:38 AM
Anvil glances around quickly before attacking, but he does not sense any others approaching. It appears this creature is alone.

There's a sharp yelp of pain as both Terath and Anvil wound the beast! It bleeds from its wounds, but doesn't appear to be overly hampered by them. It snarls back at Anvil as the warforged warrior speaks its own language to it.

"You are no creature of flesh, you smell only of ash and iron! Whatever you are, I will rip you to pieces after I have tasted your friend's blood first."

hoplathemightly
2015-01-16, 01:08 PM
Akasigho watches the flurry of battle, she levels her crossbow at the beast and tries to breathe steady. A bolt launches into the fray and Akasigho quickly begins to reload.

Attack roll: [roll0] I only applied the firing into combat modifier. I see the on my mobile so I don't know what other modifiers apply.
Move Action: reload

Gintash
2015-01-16, 02:48 PM
Baineth aims her crossbow at the werewolf before firing off another round at the beast.

Attack = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1]
Use move action to reload my crossbow.

JDL
2015-01-16, 04:54 PM
Both Baineth and Akasigho fire at the beast but their attacks are unsuccessful, punching into the loamy soil of the graveyard.

The monster snaps at Terath, its hot breath washing over him with the stench of rotten meat coming thick in the air.

Standard Action: Bite attack vs. Terath AC 17

JDL
2015-01-16, 05:48 PM
With one bite the monster sends Terath to the ground bleeding! It moves over his corpse and laughs at Anvil.

"This one is mine now! Run away or I shall destroy you too, metal man."

Monster takes 5 ft. step to f8

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=101083)

End Round 3
Begin Round 4

Gintash
2015-01-16, 06:43 PM
"Why in the names of the various gods can we not hit this guy" Baineth says as she takes another shot at the beast attacking them.

Attack = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1]
Again I'll use my move action to reload

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-16, 08:08 PM
"I will wear you as a pelt, beast!" Anvil lunges forward to stab the creature again, as if his trident were a giant fork.

Adjust into f7.

if critical:
Trident: [roll2]

hoplathemightly
2015-01-17, 02:29 AM
Akasigho takes a deep breath, she must hit this crazed beast. Once again she levels her crossbow after setting another bolt into the groove. A twang sounds as the bolt launches at the beast.

Move Action: Reload
Standard Action: Attack- [roll0]

JDL
2015-01-17, 03:39 AM
The creature yelps in pain as a bolt sticks through its paw, followed by another solid blow by Anvil making it bleed profusely. It spins and retreats, eager to save its hide against the onslaught of the party.
"I'll get you for costing me my meal metal man. I have your scent now, and I will make you pay dearly for your interference!"
Move Action: Move 20 ft. to h11
As the creature turns and moves, it provokes an attack of opportunity from Anvil!

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-17, 04:05 AM
"AND WE HAVE YOURS!!!" Anvil roars, before dropping his trident and throwing off his shield. He drops to his knees and begins trying to stifle Terath's bleeding, "Wake up, so you can track that thing down!"

Untrained heal check
Heal: [roll0]
Now, how do humans work again? This part should be on the inside, right?

JDL
2015-01-17, 04:37 AM
As the monster flees, the group rush to their fallen party member's aid. Although Anvil's familiarity with humanoid anatomy consists of knowing that bones should be inside the body, he successfully administers First Aid and stops Terath's bleeding wounds from claiming his life.

End Combat
Terath stable!
Exp: 300
Loot: None

Gintash
2015-01-17, 05:31 AM
"Well, that ended a bit better than I began to expect close to the end, but all's well that ends well." Baineth says as she walks over to Terath a little embarrassed. "Sorry for my terrible aim. I can't believe I kept missing like that. You ok?"

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-17, 06:52 AM
"No, and he cannot hear you. He is inert." Anvil stands and rearms himself, then moves over to the fallen guardsmen. He looks up at the open mausoleum before inspecting them, to make sure nothing is about to leap out. Then, he bends down to look them over for a cause of death, and checks to see if they still have anything useful on them.

I guess that's a spot and a search check.

Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]

JDL
2015-01-17, 08:59 AM
Anvil looks around inside the mausoleum. There are four coffins along the walls neatly engraved with a name on each, and a door in the rear of the building. The door has a ring of keys hanging from the keyhole. A trail of blood leads back into the mausoleum from the bodies all the way through the entry area and back to the closed door to the north.

Two bodies, seemingly savaged by some wild beast, lie in a pool of blood at the entrance. One is a male dwarf, and the other is a female human. Each wears the remnants of a town guard's tabard. Blood spatters cover the landing and the flagstones just inside the tomb's doorway. Examining the bodies, you find they both carry a spear, a sling, and 10 bullets each.

Determining cause of death of the bodies requires a DC 15 Heal check.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-17, 10:12 AM
Anvil leaves the bodies alone, instead walking into the mausoleum to retrieve the keys from the door, before walking back out to pick up Terath.

Heal: [roll0]

I'll leave it at that while the ladies shoot the fleeing worg (if they do so).

hoplathemightly
2015-01-17, 11:46 AM
Akasigho rushes to reload her crossbow as the beast turns and lopes away. She fires once at its retreating, before running to Terath's side. What are we going to do? Can we bring him to the Enclave? I'd rather not see him die. Damn beast! Akasigho enfuriated reloads her crossbow and scans the tombstone laden grave. The beast is barely in sight, she levels her crossbow and against her better judgment fires one last bolt.

Move Action: Reload
Standard Action: Attack- [roll0]; Crit Confirm- [roll1]; Damage- [roll2]; Crit Damage- [roll3]

And again VS AC 22
Attack -[roll4]; Crit Confirm- [roll5]; Damage- [roll6]; Crit Damage- [roll7]

JDL
2015-01-17, 06:49 PM
Anvil examines the bodies and again displays unusual familiarity with humanoid anatomy. One of the guards has been bludgeoned to death, and the other was shot with arrows. It appears the shafts broke off after the monster you just fought began eating the bodies after they were already dead.

Akasigho fires two shots at the retreating monster but they fail to find their mark, clattering off into the graveyard.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-18, 12:59 AM
"Yes, we will take him to the enclave." Anvil again puts away his armaments, then bends down to gently pick up Terath and begins the long walk to the enclave. "Would you inform the guard of their fallen? Or would it be best to do so when we are done? I hear they often interfere in business like ours."

He makes sure not to leave any of Terath's things behind, notably his scimitar.

Gintash
2015-01-18, 01:55 AM
Baineth walks over to Anvil, loading and then putting away her crossbow. "I'll come with you to get Terath healed, hopefully it will be less eventful than this beginning of our adventure."

hoplathemightly
2015-01-18, 03:31 AM
Akasigho does a quick glance around the area for any bolts she may recover before joining her departing companions. So Anvil, what happened to those two anyway? Did you get a good look? I think it best if we keep their deaths to ourselves until we find out more about this crypt and the misfortune that befell them. I'd hate to have the lives of more guards on my conscious. Poor Terath here is more than enough. Akasigho looks down and a pang of guilt is noticeable on her face. Her cobra coils loosely around her neck and rests against her cheek.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-18, 05:37 AM
Anvil answers her query while walking down the path, "Though the beast had been at them before we arrived, it was not the culprit. They were murdered with weapons."

hoplathemightly
2015-01-18, 01:49 PM
Akasigho ponders this a moment. Could you tell if the wounds were defensive? I wonder if the guards were aware of their attackers or prepared to defend themselves from their attackers. If they were unprepared we should be wary of unseen or seemingly friendly parties.

JDL
2015-01-18, 06:57 PM
With Anvil carrying the unconscious Terath the group returns to the House Jorasco enclave, one of the gate guards sniggering at your swift return. When you arrive at the enclave Terath is swiftly administered aid, and the magical healing restores him to consciousness. While the healing occurs, the rest of the attendants watch you with a mixture of hope and dread, noting you're not in the company of any of the mourners or Larietta d'Jorasco.

After Terath is healed, your group is again ready to brave the hazards of the graveyard. The time is now ten bells, and the sun sits high in the sky. It will take another hour to reach the scene of your last battle, and you consider briefly whether you require any additional supplies before departing. You could choose to inform the local guard of the fate of their two members, or seek out your friend first and inform them later.

hoplathemightly
2015-01-18, 08:05 PM
I think we should go back if Terath is feeling enough up to the challenge, the more progress we make today the better off we'll be tomorrow.

abadguy
2015-01-19, 12:27 AM
Despite the magical healing, Terath still feels a dull ache from the spots where the wolf had clawed him.

At the very least, we should inform the city guard and retrieve the bodies of the two guards so they won't continue lying out there in the open and becoming wolf food

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-19, 12:40 AM
"I could not tell. One was slain with arrows, the other bludgeoned to death."

When the guards show their sense of humor, Anvil is tempted to speak of their fallen brothers, if only to wipe the smile from their faces. He successfully resists. When Terath has recovered, Anvil speaks in favor of returning to the mausoleum. "I need no rest, and I can watch over you when you do."

On the way back, a thought strikes the iron man. "If I fall, you will not be able to carry me, and your healers will not be effective regardless. You will need this..." He retrieves a small flask of oil from his belt, then hands it to Akasigho. "It is roughly as effective on me as the spell that was just cast on Terath."

Anvil gives her his Oil of Repair Light Wounds.

hoplathemightly
2015-01-19, 01:00 AM
Akasigho takes the vial of black liquid and asks, Do I pour it in your, uhh... mouth? She then tucks the vial into one of the many folds of her loose clothing. I'll be sure to keep it safe should we need it, though I hope we do not.

Gintash
2015-01-19, 01:40 AM
"Oil huh? How much does it cost to buy more of your oil Anvil?" Baineth asks after spending 10gp to get Terath fully healed up.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-19, 02:04 AM
"No, just pour it on me, near the damage." He turns to Baineth, "The same as a potion. What a coincidence."

hoplathemightly
2015-01-19, 03:50 PM
Ok, that's easy enough. Let's hope this goes well.

Gintash
2015-01-19, 04:09 PM
"Alright that's good. So, when are we heading back out?"

JDL
2015-01-19, 05:55 PM
After another hour's trek through the necropolis you arrive back at the tomb. Wary of ambush you keep your senses alert for signs of the creature that attacked you, but it makes no appearance this time. When you arrive the scene is as you found it before, with the bodies of the two guardsmen laying at the entrance to the crypt. The front doors remain open, letting you see the coffins lining the walls and the door at the back of the building in which Anvil found the ring of keys he holds. The rest of the graveyard is silent, and you see no sign of the mourners or your ally Larietta d'Jorasco.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=100832)

hoplathemightly
2015-01-19, 09:18 PM
Anvil, why don't you take the lead, Terath and I will be right behind you. Beineth, check those corpses again, maybe they have some clues about what happened here.

Gintash
2015-01-19, 09:58 PM
"Nothing gets you into the mood for a dungeon crawl like some corpses." Baineth says as she goes over to the corpses and begins to check them. "You guys might want to check around the place while I check these corpses, there might be some clues around here."

Search check for corpse 1

[roll0]

Search check for corpse 2

[roll1]

JDL
2015-01-19, 10:17 PM
Baineth examines the corpses of the former guards. Each are seemingly savaged by some wild beast, and lie in a pool of blood at the entrance. One is a male dwarf, and the other is a female human. Each wears the remnants of a town guard's tabard. Blood spatters cover the landing and the flagstones just inside the tomb's doorway. Examining the bodies, you find they both carry a spear, a sling, and 10 bullets each.

Determining cause of death of the bodies requires a DC 15 Heal check.

hoplathemightly
2015-01-19, 10:53 PM
Akasigho moves to the sarcophagi on the right wall, slowing searching for signs of a trap or ward that might protect the door.

Search check take twenty at the far end of the right side wall. 23.

JDL
2015-01-19, 11:12 PM
Spending a few minutes searching reveals no obvious signs of traps, though your inspection did not include lifting the coffin lids and disturbing the rest of those interred inside. The floor has a series of stains and you notice tracks and footprints in the blood. It would likely take a skilled tracker to determine whether they reveal more information however.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=101631)

Examining the tracks requires a Survival skill check. When searching, note the co-ordinates on the grid map if seeking to find information about a specific square. For the purposes of your action assume you searched square f1 thoroughly.

Gintash
2015-01-19, 11:37 PM
Baineth takes the equipment from both of the people before rechecking them to try and find out what killed them.

Heal check corpse 1

[roll0]

Corpse 2

[roll1]

JDL
2015-01-19, 11:41 PM
Taking the guard's equipment, Baineth examines the corpses carefully. One of the guards has been bludgeoned to death, and the other was shot with arrows. It appears the shafts broke off after the monster you fought earlier began eating the bodies after they were already dead.

hoplathemightly
2015-01-20, 12:53 AM
Akasigho stands after examining the footprints in the blood, Terath, I found some tracks over here, do you think you can follow them? Akasigho points to the blood trail when Terath joins here.

abadguy
2015-01-20, 02:03 AM
Terath heads over to where Akasigho was pointing. He takes his time to look at the tracks and noting the number of different tracks and direction of them.

Take 20 on my Survival check for 25 if possible.
Otherwise [roll0]

JDL
2015-01-20, 02:24 AM
After studying the marks and scuffs in the bloodstains you gain a fairly comprehensive overview of the fight that occurred here. The pools of blood near the north door indicate the two guards died at this location and were dragged outside by the creature you fought earlier. Beneath the blood you can see signs of a fight that must have taken place prior to their deaths. It looks like the guards were attacked inside the mausoleum by approximately half a dozen assailants armed with bows and bludgeoning weapons, certainly not by the monster you found scavenging on their remains. Most telling of all however is a single partial footprint you find near the north door, a footprint your skill in tracking tells you was made by a medium humanoid skeleton.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-20, 04:58 AM
Anvil nods at Akasigho. He moves to stand next to the back door, shield and trident in hand. "How did six assailants manage to ambush someone in such a small room? Did they all erupt from this one door?" He pokes the door with his trident to accentuate his point.

abadguy
2015-01-20, 07:08 AM
This stinks of the work of the undead. It is quite possible that they lay here as corpses and attacked the guards when they came in to investigate, catching them by surprise.

He pondered for a while more before coming to a realisation

How many in total were in that family of mourners? Perhaps ... six?

hoplathemightly
2015-01-20, 03:48 PM
I can't recall the number of mourners that came here. But why do you suspect the undead? Besides of course, our location. Akasigho moves near to the back of the room next to Baineth to peer outside and see if anyone or anything has stirred whilst they searched the room for clues.

Move to H5. Sorry about last post, I could view the map on my mobile.
Spot check as well, I'm getting a little nervous about leaving our back open. [roll0] I probably shouldn't be the one who keeps watch. Baineth?

Gintash
2015-01-20, 04:43 PM
Baineth stands after examining the bodies and turns to the group. "Well, the monster certainly didn't kill these guys. One of them was bludgeoned to death and the other was shot with arrows. The beast simply broke the ends of the arrows off before beginning to feed off of them. Meaning that someone, or dare I say, something else killed them."

"I however, cannot tell if it was undead or something else from these bodies and as much fun as it would be to tease the guards about them disturbing the peace, I say we investigate before jumping to conclusions. Also, does anyone want a spear or sling? These guards had a spear each and a sling each with a handful of shots." Baineth says with a small smile as she tries to lighten to mood a little.

JDL
2015-01-20, 06:35 PM
Nervously Akasigho looks outside while the rest discuss their finds. He sees only the scene they've come to expect, a graveyard heavy with silence and the two bodies of the guards laying in the midday sun, slowly starting to raise a stench.

Thinking back to the description of the mourners, you remember that there were four people total. A man and his wife along with their daughter went in the company of Larietta d'Jorasco to say their farewells to the wife's deceased father about two days ago. When they didn't return the guards were sent, the fate of which you've now discovered.

When Anvil gives the north door a poke with his trident it moves! Nothing appears to come out, but it seems the door wasn't locked. In the shadows you see a glimpse of a stairway leading downwards, the steps covered in a thin layer of blood, and the flicker of lights beyond.

hoplathemightly
2015-01-20, 07:19 PM
Akasigho turns around to the sound of the door opening. Paranoia aside, I say we continue. There's not apparently behind us so better to move forward than to stand idle.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-20, 07:46 PM
"Agreed."

Anvil opens the door the rest of the way with his trident. "Arm yourselves. It looks like the fun did not stop in here." He takes a good look into the space ahead before stepping through.

Call that a double spot check, then moves one square through the door.
Spot: [roll1]

abadguy
2015-01-20, 10:44 PM
Well it is either undead or someone using the crypts for nefarious ends. Either way, it does not bode well for Larietta or the mourners. Terath grimaced as in reply.

Seeing the bodies still laying out in the open...

Strange that the city guard have not yet come to retrieve their fallen... he thought to himself

He readies his bow, keeping 20ft behind Anvil as he steps through into the crypt.

hoplathemightly
2015-01-21, 01:26 PM
Akasigho falls in 10' behind Terath, crossbow drawn and loaded in one hand. Hopefully not all these passages are blocked by closed doors, opening a door is such an easy way to announce our presence.

Thoughts & questions for DM: How big is the space between the floor and the door? Are there any significant cracks in the walls? I was thinking I could use Rasputin to scout ahead so we don't risk being caught off guard.

Gintash
2015-01-21, 03:31 PM
Baineth walks 20ft behind Anvil, keeping her distance with her crossbow drawn. "We can only hope but with how our luck is going so far, they are very likely to be closed and trapped."

JDL
2015-01-25, 01:53 AM
You descend the narrow staircase to a wide landing below. The landing leads to a wider room that is lit by wavering firelight. From the landing you now stand upon, a shallow staircase leads down into a room obviously designed to allow corpses to be prepared for burial. Lit torches illuminate this chamber. At the bottom of that staircase is the corpse of a human woman, crumpled and broken. The statue of some winged celestial being overlooks the scene from its pedestal east of the stairs. Several tables stand against the east and west walls, and all but two of the six have corpses on them. Farther into the chamber is a long pile of crushed stone where somebody or something toppled and crushed two of the tables. Aside from the debris, the farthest features you can see are vault doors along the north wall, a couple of which hang open, exposing the rudely tousled bones within.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=102495)

Spot checks please

hoplathemightly
2015-01-25, 01:39 PM
Akasigho looks over the heads of her companions into the room below, her elevation in the stair well limits her field of vision. Still she can make out the crumpled corpse on the floor. Oh my... she mutters under her breathe.

Spot check [roll0]

abadguy
2015-01-25, 09:45 PM
It is as we feared ... Terath whispered to the rest as he peers into the darkness. He nocks an arrow, ready for signs of trouble, especially from whoever killed the guards and apparently, the woman at the bottom of the stairs.

Spot [roll0]

Gintash
2015-01-26, 04:01 AM
Baineth, unsure of what to say, just lets her mouth hang open as she steps in too see the bodies of the dead. She does however, keep her crossbow trained and ready for whatever may come their way.

Spot = [roll0]

JDL
2015-01-26, 07:48 PM
Both Baineth and Terath see that the corpse at the foot of the stairs, the corpse laid on the stone table closest to the stairs on the west and the corpse on the centre table to the east appear recently deceased and unprepared for burial. The other corpse is wrapped in burial shrouds in preparation for interment. In the distance, Baineth and Terath both see that the door to the vault in the northwest corner of the room is nailed shut with pitons.

abadguy
2015-01-27, 02:17 AM
The door beyond has been sealed shut with pitons. Whoever did it ... really did not want anything getting out. Terath says. He slings his bow, draws his morningstar and proceeds down the stairs to check on the body on the stairs.

Moving down the stairs to examine the body.
Spot - for any unusual details about the corpse[roll0]
Heal check - determine cause of death [roll1]
Search body for items [roll2]

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-27, 06:19 AM
Anvil walks over to the nearest torch, inspecting it. He tries to determine how long it has been burning. Or, as the thought strikes him, if it's a regular torch at all...he puts one hand near it to see if the flames emit heat. "Or anyone. If there is no other exit to this room, and Larietta is not among these corpses, then it is likely the pitons are to keep her in." He pauses for a moment. "If she is here at all."

hoplathemightly
2015-01-27, 09:36 PM
Akasigho steps down into the frame of the door, glancing around the room to better take in the scene. I was considering the same train of thought, Anvil.

JDL
2015-01-27, 11:17 PM
Terath moves forward and examines the corpse at the foot of the shallow stairs. It is a human woman, approximately middle aged, though not a person you recognize. You can't determine her cause of death, though her features are twisted in pain and covered in blood. Searching her corpse, you find a handful of valuables; a gold wedding ring bearing an inscription "I&D" and a small silver locket with a minor enchantment that shows the face of a smiling child.

Anvil examines the torches that light the room. There are six torches in view, all sitting in holders 8 feet off the ground and appearing easily removed. When Anvil passes his hand through the flame he feels no heat. It appears these are everburning torches.

As Anvil and Akasigho discuss the fate of their targets, there's a sudden frantic banging noise from the far side of the sealed door.

"Who's there? Did House Jorasco send you? Please help us!" comes a muffled voice, sounding like someone who is shouting through a small hole.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=103202)

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-28, 04:56 AM
Anvil sets his trident against the wall, then his shield, then reaches up and takes the torch from it's sconce. He lobs it across the room so that it lands on the ground near the barricaded door. He then produces a crowbar and grabs his trident. Walking across the room, he raises his voice over the banging, "Please make sure none of these," He indicates the various corpses, "are Larietta before I release an army of ghouls." Arriving at the door, he sets his trident against the wall again and begins trying to work the door open with the crowbar.

Assuming he gets that far before getting destroyed by a multitude of unlikely traps.

It would make sense to get the pitons out first, I suppose, so he will being pulling them out one by one with the crowbar. Would that require strength checks? Regardless, if the situation becomes urgent, he will switch to trying to open the door itself, for which I will roll. Otherwise he'll just take 20 with all of this; it's not like he gets tired.

Strength: [roll0]

Gintash
2015-01-28, 05:44 AM
Baineth walks in and starts checking a couple of the people to find how they died, who they are, what killed them, and what possessions they had on them when they died.

For some reason I can't see the map but I'll check the two closest corpses excluding the one that Terath checked.

Two search rolls = [roll0]
[roll1]

JDL
2015-01-28, 06:15 PM
Anvil easily tosses the everburning torch across the room, then leaves his shield standing against the wall and moves forward. His allies are also on the move, but suddenly everyone stops as one of the corpses on the stone tables moves! As Anvil comes within range, the creature lurches upright, a hideous animated parody of life powered by foul magic. Another corpse across the room does likewise, and both advance towards the adventurers menacingly.

Initiative!

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=103493)

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-28, 07:13 PM
Flinching comically, Anvil promptly drops the crowbar and thrusts his trident at the moving corpse, purely on instinct. He then takes a step back to give himself some room.

5ft step to C10.

abadguy
2015-01-28, 10:15 PM
((Can't really see the map right now but I'm assuming I'm not in melee range of the corpses))

Terath, seeing the supposedly dead bodies come to life, swiftly drops his morningstar and draw his bow, loosing a shot at the foul undead creatures approaching them

Aiming at the one not engaged in melee with Anvil
[roll0]
Dmg [roll1]

hoplathemightly
2015-01-29, 02:11 AM
Akasigho draws her crossbow and levels it at the walking corpse not being jabbed by Anvil, while muttering under her breathe Should've known better. With a click a built l bolt flies.

Move Action: Draw Weapon
Standard Action: Attack - [roll0]
Guh! I forgot again, check ooc thread for damage roll.

JDL
2015-01-29, 02:23 AM
Anvil stabs at the animated corpse in front of him and the attack strikes the stone table! He quickly steps back to avoid the foul creature.

Terath quickly drops his morningstar and draws his bow, pulling an arrow from his quiver and sending it forth with a smooth, practised motion. The shot is dead on target, but the creature seems completely unaffected by the broken shaft sticking out of its leg.

Longbow piercing damage unable to beat DR 5/slashing

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=103548)

abadguy
2015-01-29, 02:39 AM
Curses! Arrows don't work on them. Nothing a little beheading won't fix! Terath calls out to the others.

Gintash
2015-01-29, 03:58 AM
"Let's see if crossbow bolts do a better job" Baineth says as she fires a shot off at the closest target and reloads her crossbow.

Attack on target at B8

Move action to reload my crossbow.

Attack = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1]

Edit: Alright, crit on 19-20 so double damage

JDL
2015-01-29, 05:05 AM
Both Baineth and Akasigho let fly with their crossbows at the far zombie! Each score a solid hit, Akasigho's punching into the chest and Baineth's straight into an eye! Baineth's shot looked like it would be brutal against any living creature, but against these undead abominations the hit doesn't strike anything vital. The majority of the damage both bolts inflicts is absorbed by the creature's dead, nerveless tissue, but there is still enough collateral damage to render the corpse worse for wear.

The two zombies shamble forward towards Anvil mindlessly, arms outstretched at the warforged warrior. Meanwhile a clattering noise heralds the arrival of animated skeletons that round the corner from the passage to the east. All are unarmored, and each wields a bow and has a quiver at its hip. The skeletal archers have arrows nocked, and one of those arrows is swathed in flame!

Zombie A
Move Action: Move to c9

Zombie B
Move Action: Move to d10

Skeleton C
Move Action: Move to e3
Standard Action: Ranged attack vs. Terath AC 17
Damage: [roll1] and [roll2] fire

Skeleton D
Move Action: Move to f3
Standard Action: Ranged attack vs. Baineth AC 16
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Skeleton E
Move Action: Move to g3
Standard Action: Ranged attack vs. Akasigho AC 12
Attack: [roll5] (soft cover applied)
Damage: [roll6]

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=103560)

JDL
2015-01-29, 05:10 AM
A burning arrow hits Terath directly in the chest! The luckless adventurer falls to the ground bleeding from his wounds. A second arrow strikes Akasigho and severely injures her. With the battle turning in the favour of the undead, how much longer can the party withstand these creatures?

Round 1 Finished
Begin Round 2

hoplathemightly
2015-01-29, 01:42 PM
Thinking quickly Akasigho begins to cast a spell, hoping that the illusion will throw the archer skeletons off for a few moments. Arcane words drift from her lips in practiced memory, her free hand moving as if composing a symphony. Finally she flicks of bit of fleece into the air in front of her.

An image materializes across the embalming tables, an image reflecting the exact scene that is currently occurring within the tight chamber. However, mere seconds after the illusion is in place the fake Akasigho collapses much like the real Terath did and the fake Baineth turns tail and runs up the stair way, leaving behind only the fake Anvil locked in combat with the two fakes zombies.

Akasigho then draws out a vial of holy water, and quietly whisper to the real Baineth, I hope you have a potion, we're going to need Terath. Don't make too much noise, I placed an illusion in front of us, hopefully it'll give us a moment or two to recover. Here take this and be ready to throw it at those archers if they fire at us again.

Standard Action: Cast Silent Image, in case the Illusion description wasn't good enough to explain my intent; the illusion is a wall of image covering b6-g6 in a 10' rectangle, the wall is depicting the scene I described, hopefully the skeletons will fire at the fake Anvil and fail their will saves a turn or two and give us a chance to prepare a come back. That's the hope anyway.
Move Action: Retrieve Holy Water with free hand.

Gintash
2015-01-30, 10:48 PM
"I have some holy water too but no health potions." Baineth says as she draws out a holy water vial.

Move action to get the holy water out of my backpack

JDL
2015-01-31, 08:52 PM
Akasigho focuses her mind and calls forth an illusion from thin air. As the image wavers into being, she lowers her guard and provokes an attack of opportunity from the zombie in front of her! The corpse appears to be an old man with a bald head and grey beard, still fresh and bearing no obvious wounds. It moans as it slams a meaty limb at Akasigho.

Attack of opportunity vs. Akasigho AC 12
Concentration: [roll2] vs. DC 10 + damage

hoplathemightly
2015-02-01, 12:18 PM
Akasigho's eyes grow wide as she realizes her mistake, however the first stroke of luck hits as the zombie's shambling movement causes it to swing off balance missing Akasigho entirely.

I'll hold up this illusion as long as I can. She whispers to Baineth, Anvil, don't stay in the same spot, move around a bit.

I believe Anvil is the only one who has yet to go, so this is just a follow up to the illusion casting and AoO.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-01, 01:28 PM
Unsure of what is happening, Anvil simply takes a step back and switches up his armaments.

5ft step to B11.

Drop Trident.

If he can, I want to grab and rearm his shield (should be next to him against the wall), and get out his axe. Can he grab and put on the shield in one move action? Regardless, doing things in that order.

JDL
2015-02-01, 07:05 PM
Picking up an item is a move action and readying a shield is a move action, so sadly there's no further actions available to draw a weapon.

Anvil steps back from the undead creatures, dropping his trident and picking up his shield, readying the tower shield against the assault of the undead. Each of the two zombies shamble towards Anvil and attempt to strike the warforged warrior with their dead limbs. Unseen by any but Akasigho, the skeletons remain on the other side of the illusion, arrows at the ready in case the adventurers reappear. Two have drawn regular arrows, while a third one has an arrow that burns with a flicker of flame.

Zombie A
Free Action: 5 ft. step to b10
Standard Action: Slam attack vs. Anvil AC 22
Damage: [roll1] (2 DR applied)

Zombie B
Free Action: 5 ft. step to c11
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] (2 DR applied)

Skeleton C
Standard Action: Readied action to attack

Skeleton D

Skeleton E

Round 2 Finished
Begin Round 3

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=104264)
http://s14.postimg.org/4xgrj5r1d/So_Xa.png

JDL
2015-02-01, 07:08 PM
End of round roll for Terath to become stable (1-10) or lose 1 hit point
[roll0]

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-01, 08:34 PM
Anvil steps back into the corner behind him, covering himself with his tower shield, then slips his silvered-axe from it's belt loop.

5ft adjustment into the corner
Standard: Take total cover behind shield, at the line separating 11 and 12, meaning he has full cover from the furthest zombie, and regular cover from the one still adjacent to him, meaning no AoO for...
Move: Draw axe

hoplathemightly
2015-02-02, 08:50 AM
Akasigho continues to focus on the illusion she's brought into existence, the effort enough to force her to only move away from the immediate danger of the rotting corpses to her left. Baineth, now might be a good time to chuck one of those holy waters at those skeletons, but be ready to move in case my illusion collapses.

Standard Action: Maintain concentration on Silent Image
Free Action: 5' step to e10.

JDL
2015-02-02, 10:42 PM
Baineth's turn skipped due to 24 hour inactivity

Anvil plants his shield in front of him while he draws his axe, ready to cut down these undead abominations. Meanwhile Akasigho steps away from the rotting corpse that stands in front of her, continuing to focus on her spell. She decides to convert the illusion into an inky wall of blackness instead of the distracting image she was focusing on earlier, deciding that the mindless creature's she's fighting won't notice the difference and it would be better to avoid distracting her allies' concentration with the display. Baineth is crippled with indecision, unable to choose whether to attack the enemy or aid her fallen ally. Poor Terath, meanwhile, remains prone on the ground, his lifeblood bleeding out from the charred wound in his chest.

Zombie A
Move Action: 10 ft. move to c12 via b11 (attack of opportunity prevented by cover)

Zombie B
Standard Action: Slam attack vs. Anvil AC 22 (+4 shield bonus lost, +4 cover bonus applied)

Skeleton C

Skeleton D

Skeleton E

End of round roll for Terath (-7 hp) to become stable (1-10) or lose 1 hit point
[roll2]

Round 3 Finished
Begin Round 4

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=104451)

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-03, 04:53 AM
Seeing the blood still actively pouring out of Terrath, Anvil decides it is time to act. To hell with the risk. He plows into the zombie next to him on his way to Terrath.

Overrun attempt against zombie in c12. If successful, will continue to f12, moving through Baineth's square. If he would not be able to make a heal check from f12, make it e12 instead.

Overrun: [roll0]

hoplathemightly
2015-02-03, 05:39 PM
Akasigho steadily backs up, stepping lightly over the prone form of Terath, slipping past Baineth and onto the very lowest stairs. Watching patiently as the clash between Anvil and the undead continues. Anvil I can't offer aid, this illusion is the only thing keeping those skeletons at bay.

Move Action: go to D14
Standard Action: Concentrate on Illusion

JDL
2015-02-03, 06:05 PM
As Anvil readies his overrun, he provokes an attack of opportunity from the two zombies threatening him! The zombie he pushes through tries to remain standing against his assault.

Zombie A
Attack of Opportunity: Slam attack vs. Anvil AC 22

Zombie B
Attack of Opportunity: Slam attack vs. Anvil AC 22

Zombie A
DC 14 Strength check to resist Overrun
[roll4]

JDL
2015-02-03, 06:15 PM
The zombie successfully resists Anvil's overrun! It pushes back against Anvil, forcing the warrior to attempt to remain standing.

Zombie A
Reactive Strength check to knock Anvil prone
[roll0]

JDL
2015-02-04, 06:23 PM
Shaking free of the fugue that's taken root of her mind, Baineth springs into action!

She steps towards her fallen ally and quickly tries to staunch his bleeding wounds. Then she hefts him over her shoulder in a fireman's carry and prepares to exit the crypt as fast as she can.

Baineth
Free Action: 5 ft. step to e12
Standard Action: Heal check vs. DC 15
First Aid: [roll0]
Move Action: Pick up Terath

The skeletons on the other side of the illusion continue to stare blankly at the wall of darkness that remains separating them from the party, their bony claws holding arrows tight to their bowstrings. The zombies each swing at Anvil as the warrior lays prone on the ground.

Zombie A
Standard Action: Slam attack vs. Anvil AC 18 (-4 prone)
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] (2 DR applied)

Zombie B
Standard Action: Slam attack vs. Anvil AC 18 (-4 prone)
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] (2 DR applied)

Skeleton C

Skeleton D

Skeleton E

Round 4 Finished
Begin Round 5

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=104847)

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-04, 06:34 PM
Anvil surges to his feet, holding his shield above high to stop the slams raining down on him. He swings his axe sideways, under his raised shield, as if to eviscerate the walking corpse beside him.

T Axe: [roll0]

This is gonna take a while.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-04, 10:23 PM
Akasigho watches as Baineth throws Terath over a shoulder, with only one option at her disposal she realizes that she's in Baineth's way. Akasigho starts to move past Baineth, avoiding the undead pawing at Anvil. Half her attention still focused on the opaque wall of blackness she's brought into existence.

Move Action: Move to f9 by going around Baineth and Terath to the right.
Standard Action: Concentrate on Silent Image

JDL
2015-02-05, 02:21 AM
When Anvil stands, he provokes an attack of opportunity! Each of the zombies swing their limbs at him.

Zombie A
Attack of Opportunity: Slam attack vs. Anvil AC 18 (-4 prone)

Zombie B
Attack of Opportunity: Slam attack vs. Anvil AC 18 (-4 prone)

With Terath slung over her shoulder, Baineth moves carefully around the melee centred on Anvil. She carries her ally up the stairs and into the upper crypt out of sight. Anvil hacks at one of the zombies with his axe, cleaving a chunk of dead tissue away without even a flinch from the corpse in front of him. Each of the two creatures for their turn swing at Anvil, while the skeletons remain ready to attack behind the wall of darkness.

Zombie A
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] (2 DR applied)

Zombie B
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] (2 DR applied)

Skeleton C

Skeleton D

Skeleton E

Round 5 Finished
Begin Round 6

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=104870)

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-05, 04:44 AM
With new cracks in some of his wood and stone parts, Anvil attains decent footing and begins the slow work of hacking the zombies to re-death. He continues his assault on the wounded corpse with a downward chop to the clavicle, his silvered axe now a dark, brownish-red.

5ft step to B11.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-06, 12:25 PM
Akasigho keeps her back to the stone slab, watching and waiting for an opportunity to move back into the safety of the stairs.

Ready Move Action: Once a clear path to the stairs is open and Baineth has carried Terath up the stairs a bit, Akasiggo will move into the stair case. I can't see the map at the, I'll edit in the exact location later.
Standard Action: continue to concentrate on Silent Image.

JDL
2015-02-07, 04:08 AM
With a groan Baineth carries Terath upstairs, out of the range of the archers. The mindless zombies repeat their actions and attack Anvil who steps forward to circle the creatures, while the skeletons remain ready to fire. Akasigho maintains focus on her spell to keep the ranged attacks at bay.

Zombie A

Zombie B

Skeleton C

Skeleton D

Skeleton E

Round 6 Finished
Begin Round 7

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=105289)

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-07, 04:21 AM
Anvil, like his namesake, takes their blows without bending or breaking. He returns their attacks with a slash of his own, then again steps out of reach of the wounded zombie.

5ft step to b10.

JDL
2015-02-07, 04:33 AM
With the third hit against the zombie before him, Anvil cuts the creature down! There's now only one zombie left facing the warrior, and this one has already been weakened by his allies when they fired their crossbows at it. It looks like another hit like the one Anvil just delivered should be enough to drop this one too. Finally the tide of battle is turning in the favor of the group!

hoplathemightly
2015-02-07, 02:20 PM
Akasigho eyes the skeletons standing idly with their bows drawn and ready to fire, their mindlessness is quite interesting, are they following preprogrammed orders? She turned to watch Anvil cut down one of the zombies, finally a break in their assault. Still his fight was not over yet.

Standard Action: Maintain concentration on Silent Image

JDL
2015-02-07, 06:53 PM
The skeletons on the other side of the wall of darkness remain ready to fire, while the zombie that's left standing takes a swipe at Anvil. The warrior's hardened hide and extensive training have stymied the creatures he faces, and like his namesake their blows rain down on him without effect.

Zombie B

Skeleton C

Skeleton D

Skeleton E

Round 7 Finished
Begin Round 8

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=105394)

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-07, 07:15 PM
Staying focused, Anvil continues his onslaught against the remaining walking dead. A flash of silver erupts from his right flank, streaming across your view into the zombie.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-07, 08:41 PM
Watching Anvil's axe slice through the zombie's torso brought a modicum of relief to Akasigho. She peers over the stone table to watch the skeletons on attention and ready to fire. This was going to be tricky. She reaches into one of the folds of her loose clothing and produces a second holy water to accompany the first that lays on the floor next to her feet.

Standard: concentrate
Move: Retrieve holy water.

JDL
2015-02-07, 11:01 PM
Anvil's blow cleaves deep into the creature in front of him, and it looks like a single strike more would crush the undead monstrosity! While Akasigho maintains the illusion keeping the skeletons at bay, the sole remaining zombie swings at Anvil.

Zombie B

Skeleton C

Skeleton D

Skeleton E

Round 8 Finished
Begin Round 9

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=105394)

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-08, 12:00 AM
"Almost got this one! Get ready to distract the bowmen!" With that, Anvil yet again lays into the risen corpse with his silvery axe!

JDL
2015-02-08, 12:07 AM
With a spray of cold flesh Anvil cuts down the corpse! The two zombies are now silent and still, while the skeletons remain motionless and alert, ready to fire.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-08, 12:51 AM
Watching as Anvil cuts down the remaining zombie Akasigho focuses her attention at creating an image similar to the original. The black wall shifted like smoking disappearing to reveal a lone Anvil standing in the middle of the room. Akasigho nodded to Anvil to acknowledge that the image had been changed.

Standard Action: Shifted the image again, now it's a sheet displaying the room with Anvil standing in the E10 square.
Move Action: None yet, we'll see what happens.

JDL
2015-02-08, 01:07 AM
The two dimensional image shifts from inky black to display a flat image of Anvil, but the skeletons remain readied, their bony claws at their bowstrings.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-08, 07:53 PM
Anvil walks across the room, dropping his axe on the ground as he goes. "I will move through and draw their fire. Be ready."

Move to f7, drop axe.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-09, 03:48 AM
Akasigho watches as Anvil, the indomitable warforged, moves to the edge of her illusion. As soon he readies his shield for the incoming assault she ceases the image she's displayed. She quickly drops to the floor, anticipating a flaming and feathered hail. As soon as the arrows fly she makes a dash for the staircase.

Free Actions: Drop to prone, and cease concentration.
Move Action: Stand up (only if the skeletons all fire at Anvil.)
Move Action: Move to furthest spot in staircase possible, I can't see the may in my phone, so I don't know how far I can go.

JDL
2015-02-09, 05:59 PM
As the final zombie falls, Anvil and Akasigho quickly plan their next move. They decide to risk dropping the barrier and trust in their luck to prevent Akasigho from being struck by the skeletons' shots. Akasigho maintains her concentration for a few more seconds while the skeletons remain ready to fire.

Skeleton C

Skeleton D

Skeleton E

Round 9 Finished
Begin Round 10

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=105927)

Anvil drops his throwing axe to the ground as he walks forward, putting himself directly in the line of fire between the skeletons and his ally. Finally, Akasigho drops to the ground, releasing the spell that has been holding the archers at bay. The illusion now gone, they fire!

Skeleton C
Standard Action: Readied attack vs. Anvil AC 22

Skeleton D
Damage: [roll3] and [roll4] fire

Skeleton E
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

After the skeletons shoot their arrows at Anvil, Akasigho quickly stands and moves up towards the exit.

Round 10 Finished
Begin Round 11

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=105936)

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-09, 08:37 PM
Anvil promptly marches forward and brings his adamantine-clad arm down on a skeleton.

Move to f4.
Attacking the one in e3.
Slam: [roll0]

hoplathemightly
2015-02-10, 12:28 AM
With one last glance over her shoulder, Akasigho clambers up the stairs.

JDL
2015-02-10, 05:56 AM
Without even a single backwards glance, Anvil steps towards the skeletons. His allies have fled the crypt and he alone remains. With nothing but his empty fist he reaches back and swings at the skeletons. The three drop their bows and claw at him in a brutal melee of bone against steel and stone.

One grabs his shield long enough to let another rake its claws across Anvil's arm. The warrior backhands the skeleton to the ground and drives his foot through its skull, shrapnel spraying across the floor. Another sinks its claws into his leg as he crushes the first. Anvil knocks the arm away, lifting a tower shield half the weight of a fully grown man like it was made of paper. He kicks the second skeleton to the ground and drops the edge straight down on it's pelvis, grinding the bone to dust in an instant.

The third skeleton lands a final hit against the unbreakable warrior, leaping straight at Anvil and driving its claws madly into his face! It scratches and scrabbles to claw out anything it can find that is soft and weak, but Anvil merely puts one hand over the creature's arms, his fingers closing like a vise around both wrists. Slowly, unstoppably he squeezes, heedless to the flailing struggles of the enemy. A sound like a handful of walnuts being cracked comes from between Anvil's fingers, before he slowly lifts his knee and places it against the skeleton's ribcage. There's a sharp pull; then, Anvil is left holding two crushed arms that dangle limply from his hand, while the necromantic flicker of undeath within the skeleton's empty eye sockets fades to darkness.

End Combat
Exp: 300 each
Loot: 3 shortbows, 4 red feathered arrows, 26 arrows

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-10, 07:01 AM
Anvil, now unpressed for time, takes a good look at the rest of the room, where the skeletons came from. Then, satisfied that the fight is truly over, moves to collect his discarded weapons, then the bows & arrows, and finally the torch. He knocks on the door once before speaking, "We will return in a moment; are you currently in danger?"

He will do those things in that order, unless something pressing comes up.

JDL
2015-02-10, 09:28 PM
Kicking through the shattered pieces of bone on the ground, Anvil collects the weapons and adds them to his pack. Picking up the torch he can see the rest of the room around the corner is empty of creatures, and at the far east end of the room there is a closed stone door.

"Please don't leave us here!" the voice comes back, muffled and distorted through the barrier in reply to Anvil's question. "We've been stuck inside for three days with no food. If you have any way of letting us out I beg you to release us!" The voice is sounding increasingly frantic now, bordering on the verge of hysteria.

Upstairs in the upper crypt, Baineth nurses Terath as best she can, checking him periodically to ensure his wounds don't reopen. The warrior is on the verge of death, but his life hasn't yet fled his body. Akasigho arrives and Baineth quickly turns her face away, trying and failing miserably to conceal the wet streaks that run down her cheeks. Sniffling and wiping her face with her wrist, she turns back and gives Akasigho a weak smile and a nod. The two listen as the battle below rages on, finally fading into silence. When Anvil speaks, they both exhale a breath they didn't know they'd been anxiously holding. It seems their companion had been single-handedly victorious against the entire horde of creatures in the room.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-11, 12:59 AM
Akasigho looks at her pale and grievously injured friend, We have to get him out of here, I'm afraid if we don't get him some sort of healing soon he may slip away. the sound of Anvil's voice is like music, the strain of so much peril finally easing just the slightest bit. I'm going to check on Anvil, stay with Terath, I have an idea.

Akasigho hurries down the stair way, stashing the holy water she'd been white knuckling. The fading echoes of the voice behind the door barely reach her ears as her bare foot meets the floor and her eyes fall upon the broken remnants of the skeletal bodies. Anvil, this is, incredible. I'm so sorry I left you here to fight alone, I didn't know what I could do to help... Terath needs help, immediately, I don't think he will make it all the way back to Jorasco Enclave. Maybe she can help. Akasigho points to the sealed door where the woman's voice had originated.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-11, 05:13 AM
"I was just coming to check on you. Let's get these pitons out of the door..." He sets down his shield and torch, then pulls out his crowbar. He begins the laborious process of pulling them out, one by one, dropping each one into his backpack.

JDL
2015-02-11, 06:38 PM
Anvil takes 20 on his Strength check and gains 6 pitons

With a slow, steady pace Anvil removes the pitons from the door. Finally the last one is removed, and the door opens. Inside among the jumbled remains of the bones of the long dead, two huddled figures squint and shield their eyes against the sudden light of the torch. You see a human child, probably seven or eight years old, and a well known face: your halfling friend Larietta d'Jorasco.

"Anvil? Akasigho? Is that you?" Larietta says, blinking as her eyes begin to adjust to the light. She reaches out unsteadily as she tries to unwind from the cramped position inside the tomb, made all the more difficult by the child clinging to her like a drowning man grasping at driftwood. Finally the two get to their feet, wobbling and swaying as they move. "Are the others with you? Where's Baineth and Terath?"

As the two relate their adventures to reach the prisoners, Larietta seems to gain a modicum of strength. You try to offer her food and water but she shakes her head in refusal, explaining that it's best they return immediately to House Jorasco and let the healers perform their duties there. Larietta tries to shield the girl from viewing the corpses on the ground as they walk past the scene of battle. As you escort the two upstairs, Larietta stops by Terath's side, half falling to the ground as she sits down next to him.

"He was incredibly brave to risk his life so courageously. I still have a small amount of power left to help aid him. By your permission, I'll use it to heal his wounds." She reaches out and touches his face, her fingers glowing with faint magical power.

Larietta casts Cure Light Wounds on Terath twice
[roll0]
[roll1]

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-11, 08:49 PM
His "face" completely expressionless as normal, Anvil speaks, "Welcome back to the living, Terrath. I have something for you." He hands the elf the red-fletched arrows. "I believe these are magical."

abadguy
2015-02-11, 09:20 PM
Terath groans as life surges back into his body. By the Undying Court ... I was so very close to meeting my ancestors, he gasped and he sits painfully upright.

What happene... ah I see, Anvil happened. I do not say this often enough but I am glad to have such a reliable brother in arms by my side. I really thought we were all going to perish here in these dark corridorsHe clasped Anvil's arm gratefully and uses it to haul himself to his feet. Thank you for the arrows, I will see if we can get them identified as such.

Ah! Larietta! You live! After all the blood and death outside, I was afraid you would have joined them. Thank you for the healing. You must be drained yourself. Anvil, Akasigho, Baineth, let us make haste back to House Jorasco with our charges. Larietta, you can tell us your story once you've had a chance to recuperate.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-12, 11:38 AM
Oh thank the multiverse! Terath you're all right! And thank Larietta! Akasigho wraps Terath's head in a her long arms in a face smothering hug. Then scoops up Larietta and hugs her just as ravenously.

Yes let's head back to the Enclave, there's much to be discussed. The tall woman grimaces as she puts Larietta back upon the ground, the wound at her side spilling a new bit of blood with the motion. Anvil, you look a little battered, would you like your oil back? I'd love to take notes on the process and effects the oil exhibits when used.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-13, 05:05 AM
"I intend to save it for an emergency. For now, I will find a magewright to heal me. Later, I will buy you a scroll that you may study, if that is fine with you."

He offers to carry Larietta and the child if they are tired.

Psst! Don't forget your continual torches!

hoplathemightly
2015-02-13, 09:07 PM
Akasigho grabs a sconce containing a torch, Better to have light, my candles won't always do the trick. Besides it appears to be a sort of magical flame. Akasigho passes her hand through the heatless torch. Definitely something worth studying. A scroll will make the process much faster and won't take any research on my part, Anvil. If it'll help you maintain working order than I'd say it's a good choice.

JDL
2015-02-14, 09:32 PM
Escorting the two weary figures back through Delera's Watch, Anvil, Akasigho, Baineth and Terath listen as Larietta relates her tale. When she led the family to the mausoleum three days ago, they entered to discover the lower tomb being ransacked by hobgoblin looters. The group turned on the mourners, killing the child's mother and father. Larietta managed to shield Tyra, the child in her care, from the attackers, escaping inside one of the ransacked vaults and holding the door against them. Larietta remembers the hobgoblins calling their leader Krootad, and he seemed to be a necromancer by the way they talked about reanimating the dead. She remembers him ordering the hobgoblins to nail the door shut, saying that anyone that came looking for the family and who defeated the undead guards would be slowed down by rescuing the survivors. She remembers Krootad talking about someone else ordering the hobgoblins to return back down to the lower crypt and set up guard against intruders. She got the impression they were looking for something hidden inside, though she never heard any of the hobgoblins mention what it was.

As the party returns to the House Jorasco enclave after an uneventful hour of walking, healers come out to attend to the two survivors. There's a flurry of activity as they're swept inside for treatment and rest, while for the adventurers they are questioned briefly and then given 50 gp each as repayment for their part in rescuing the survivors. The city guard also take their statements, and upon hearing the name Krootad they explain that there's a 500 gp bounty for his capture, dead or alive.

After all the activity is complete, Baineth apologizes to her allies and explains that she found herself out of her depth inside the tomb. She feels like she needs to take some time to recover, and with a tearful farewell she departs to gather herself and rethink whether she wishes to continue pursuing the adventurer's lifestyle.

Storyline Quest: Rescue the Survivors complete!
Exp: 300 each
Quest Reward: 50 gp each

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-15, 12:30 AM
"I wish to claim this bounty. Do you as well? I suggest we question the guard for information about this 'Krootad'; they may have something useful for us. First, however, I need to find a magewright."

I'm assuming House Jorasco does not have anyone to cast repair wounds on him, nor do they have a scroll of it. So, he'll head down to the house of wizardry for those two things. The market price is 35gp, by the book.

He will also try to sell the shortbows; the Empty Handed seems the most likely place for that.

JDL
2015-02-15, 12:44 AM
Anvil proceeds to the House of Wizardry, where he finds a variety of vendors which stock arcane products. The bantering of the shopkeepers quickly turns into a shouting match between a rather portly halfling and a crotchety gnome over who gets to lighten the contents of the adventurer's coin purse. Eventually Anvil leaves with a scroll of Repair Light Damage for only 25 gp.

Stopping at The Empty Handed, he's pleased to discover that the shop owner Troy Alzander is willing to purchase the shortbows; however, he insists that Anvil not leave before he's bought some equipment first. He displays his fine stock of ten foot ladders ("Strong enough that even you could climb one!") hooded lanterns, coils of rope, iron manacles and locks, bags of chalk and talismans to bring luck.

Anvil may sell his shortbows at half market price here provided he spends at least 1 cp inside the store. The store stocks anything from the adventuring gear list on the SRD.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-15, 01:22 AM
I too would like to collect on this bounty, the more gold I have to fuel my research the better prepared we'll be. I'll join you Anvil, may as well look for some supplies to start writing some scrolls, I can see them being very useful to me. Akasigho will follow Anvil and purchase some scribing supplies to begin the process of creating some scrolls to cast spells from.

Ok I plan to buy enough materials to scribe two 1st lvl spells at CL 1, since that's my CL. That should total 25 37 gp and 5 sp, I'll deduct it from my sheet. Also the scroll paper I'm purchasing will be one long sheet that's large enough for two spells to be scribed onto, instead of two separate sheets. As for the scroll that Anvil has offered to buy, I'll hold onto it until we've collected the bounty on this Hobgoblin caster.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-15, 01:46 AM
"Hmm. There are a few things I could use, but these talismans...Akasigho, can you determine if they are indeed magical?"

I also wanted someone to cast the spell on Anvil, in addition to the scroll. That's where the extra 10gp came from, and now that I think about it, he might need several castings if the first isn't high enough.

Anyway, he'll buy 5 bags of caltrops, a couple more slings (say two for 1cp each, just to be fair), a flint & steel, and a smokestick, if the fello has any. We'll see about these talismans.

abadguy
2015-02-16, 01:45 AM
While you're at it, let's see if the arrows are indeed magical as well. Terath hands over the red arrows that Anvil had given to him earlier.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-16, 07:25 PM
Akasigho examines both of the talismans that Anvil has pointed out, they definitely look like magical items that she's read about in her studies. However, memories of images aren't so useful when determining properties. Well, these are definitely magical, though I can't say what they do. I would trust the proprietor's word. Akasigho moves to look at some blank scroll rolls when Terath comes to her and asks about the arrows that Anvil gave him. Well, honestly Terath, I can't say. They look like normal arrows to me, though if you recall, you were shot with flaming arrows. I highly doubt the skeletons were capable of advanced magics like that. It's likely that some of their arrows were magical in nature. But I can't say for sure if these particular arrows are magical. Sorry.

Akasigho eventually comes to the proprietor with an arm full of writing and spell supplies, Hello, I'd like to purchase these.

JDL
2015-02-16, 08:21 PM
As Troy Alzander puts your purchases in a paper bag, a man enters the store. Laren recognizes your group immediately from the description his friend Baineth gave. While making a delivery to the House of Wizardry from the Artificers of House Cannith, Laren ran into Baineth and discovered his friend distraught and upset. A short walk and talk revealed that they had recently returned from Delera's Ward, barely surviving their encounter with a band of undead abominations. Baineth had asked Laren to see if he might be able to take a message to her friends and let them know she would be staying down at the harbour if they needed to find her, at the inn named the Leaky Dinghy.

Kish
2015-02-16, 08:28 PM
"Hello," Laren greets the group's warforged member. "You're...Anvil, correct? Baineth wanted me to tell you--and your companions--that you can find her at the Leaky Dinghy."

abadguy
2015-02-16, 10:29 PM
Ho, Laren, well met. How do you know Baineth? Hope she's doing well. Indeed our latest adventure left her a little shaken. And myself, a little more scarred. Terath says as he unconsciously fingers his fresh scars.

Kish
2015-02-17, 11:46 AM
"She's well enough. Yes, she said you fought a lot of undead abominations," Laren replies.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-17, 01:42 PM
Thank you. Akasigho turns from the proprietor and notices Terath speaking wih a new face. Hello, how'd you know Baineth? She was such a gregarious type. Akasigho unshoulders her pack and begins to arrange her newly purchased writing and spell materials inside.

I am ready Freddy, whenever Ya'll be ready. Just gotta write them spells.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-18, 04:57 AM
"Farewell." Anvil nods at the storekeeper after giving him the last bit of coin for his purchases. He puts his new talisman around his neck (carefully navigating around his large helmet crest). "We're about to fight some living abominations. Are you in the profession as well?" (He means "adventuring".)

Kish
2015-02-18, 08:29 AM
"Yes, I am an adventurer," Laren replies to the warforged. "Baineth and I have been friends for some time."

hoplathemightly
2015-02-18, 03:12 PM
Oh good, hate to have a farmer with us into that dangerous crypt. So I'll be getting to work on this scroll right away, does anyone have any objections to taking a day or two to properly prepare. Mostly I'll be preparing, but you know what I mean. Akasigho stands and slings her pack over one shoulder and offers Laren her hand, her height next to Anvil makes the man feel rather small. Nice to meet you, Laren. Glad to have you on board.

abadguy
2015-02-18, 10:55 PM
Go and scroll away Akasigho. Wouldn't hurt to be better prepared this time. Terath turns to the shopkeeper and purchases a curative potion.

I'll go find out what I can about Krootad and this mystery necromancer.

Kish
2015-02-18, 10:56 PM
"If I'm going into a crypt with you, I might as well make a scroll as well. Two days, you said? Do you happen to have any clue what's in there?"

hoplathemightly
2015-02-18, 11:28 PM
Yes, two days. I'm preparing some defensive spells, for myself and Terath. Would you require anything? I don't have much in the way of defensive spells besides the two I plan to scribe. The four head out, Terath heads out to gather any more information as Akasigho explains to Laren. We were told there's a hobgoblin band hiding out in the crypt we just came from, lead by Krootad. We encountered some skeletons and walking corpses, so we suspect there is a necromancer with the group or at the very least one of them has a powerful and dark item. In any case, poor Terath didn't fare so well, so preparation this time is key. Anvil, do you think we should camp out at the crypt or simply get a room at an inn for the next two nights? Personally I'd before a bed, but if we're afraid to lose our quarry then a camp out will have to do.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-19, 07:07 PM
"I would prefer to camp at the crypt. I do not sleep, so you may work and rest whenever you wish. We could bring a bed, I suppose." He doesn't seem to be joking.

Kish
2015-02-19, 09:16 PM
"HMMMM." Laren seems surprisingly non-distressed by that suggestion. "Alas, the flesh is weak."

hoplathemightly
2015-02-20, 02:26 PM
I don't think that'll be necessary Anvil, I have a bedroll, it'll do just fine. Akasigho replies, in all seriousness. Shall we go then?

Akasigho walks with the other two, before they get far, she remembers that no one had told Terath that they'd be camping by the crypt! Someone should tell Terath where we'll be! I don't think we said before he left. I could go find him. Laren?

JDL
2015-02-22, 08:41 PM
After much discussion, it's agreed that the group will proceed to the crypt and set camp at the entrance to prevent their foes escaping while Akasigho spends time scribing scrolls to extend her abilities in battle, guarded by Anvil and Laren. Meanwhile, Terath scouts around town and searches for information on their target.

The group are accompanied this time by a pair of guards, who retrieve the bodies of the fallen family and the unlucky guardsmen, returning them to Respite for proper rites. The two days pass quickly, and Anvil and Akasigho have a good chance to get to know Laren better. Akasigho successfully completes her scroll writing, packing the scroll carefully into her pack after the ink is dried and the lines of power on the parchment fade. During the two days, the group observes scavengers picking through the unburied remains in the outer areas of Delera's Ward outside the crypt, but none venture close to the group. The area below remains quiet, and no creatures, living or dead, stir within the rooms the adventurers have explored.

Terath spends two days chasing information about Krootad and his band. Terath learns that his mercenary company usually operates in and around Stormreach, offering their services to the highest bidder. He's known to travel with a pair of hobgoblin enforcers and a goblin thief, and his second in command is Garjuk, a short, thin, wiry hobgoblin with a reputation for being exceedingly cunning and depraved, even for a normal member of his kind. He hears a rumour from someone that Krootad was recently bragging about having an animated ogre corpse under his control. While he usually uses a series of middlemen as contacts for those interested in purchasing his services, Terath discovers that Krootad and his group appear to have been hired by a third party recently and are unavailable until further notice, though Terath can't discover who it was that hired them last.

As Terath rejoins the party at the crypt on the third day and dawn breaks, the group gathers their possessions and prepares to confront the dangers below.

abadguy
2015-02-23, 12:37 AM
Terath shares his two day spree in the bowels of Respite and Stormreach worth of cajoling and drink buying with the group.

That undead ogre could spell trouble. Best case scenario, we're up against at least 6 others. Hopefully we can try to catch them by surprise and take out the necromancer if he shows himself first.

He readies his bow as he waits for the rest of the party to enter the crypts once more.

Kish
2015-02-23, 11:54 AM
"I'm ready to go," Laren says.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-23, 11:58 AM
Akasigho stretches her long limbs fully naked in the morning light and faint breeze, though the temperature might be a little bit for such a display it doesn't seem to bother her in the least. As she clothes herself, she speaks openly, Hmm, it sounds like we have our work cut out for us. I think the earlier we get in the better off we'll be when taking them by surprise. She lastly slings her bandolier of spell components over her shoulder and shakes her head to dispell the grogginess.

Then let us be off! She gestures to Anvil to lead the way.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-23, 12:57 PM
"If we come across the ogre, do not engage it. Flee, if necessary. If you can distract it like you did with the skeletons, Akasigho, do so. Terrath, Laren and I can deal with it's controller."
Once everyone is ready, Anvil leads the group down to the stone door, past the scattered bones of the skeletons. Shield and Trident armed, he stares at the door. "It may be trapped."

Could somebody with a free hand please hold a torch?

Kish
2015-02-23, 01:06 PM
"I can check for traps. Just give me a couple minutes," Laren says, pulling out a hooded lantern and filling it with oil before lighting it.

Taking 20 to search for traps on the door; two minutes and a result of 26.

JDL
2015-02-23, 06:07 PM
Descending to where you fought the skeletons and zombies, you find the scene exactly as you left it, minus the bodies that were collected by the town guard. You round the corner and search the door, finding no traps. Satisfied there is no danger, Laren gives you a nod and you open the door cautiously, peering inside by the light of your everburning torches.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=107998)

This passage has the statue of a human woman set in a niche on the northern wall. She is dressed in robes, and her arms and face are held upward as if toward the sky. On either side of her, fountains gurgle with what appears to be fresh water. The passage smells like rain.

Directly across the hall from the statue is a closed stone door, and farther down the passage is an archway on the northern wall. Beyond that archway, grave vaults like those you've seen before occupy all sides of the passage. Many have been opened and apparently looted.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-23, 07:22 PM
What a lovely scent. I wonder if this mercenary band have been doing this looting. Give me one moment, I almost forgot, Anvil I have a spell to cast on you before we engage in combat, it'll help you against any undead and nefarious attempts to dominate you. As for myself I have a lovely little spell for bodily protection. Akasigho retrieves the stowed scroll and recites the completion words of a spell contained upon the parchment. A faint shimmer surrounds her body before vanishing. She then stows the scroll within her pack and draws her crossbow, loading a single bolt into the groove.
All ready. Although, if we do come across that zombified ogre you'd be best to hold of until I can cast that spell on your, Anvil.

Casting Mage Armor from my scroll, it'll last for one hour, and my AC is now 16, updating sheet. Hopefully we'll find our quarry before it expires.

abadguy
2015-02-26, 01:44 AM
Terath kneels down to look at any tracks the looters might have left behind to ascertain the number of them and where they were headed.

Survival [roll0]

JDL
2015-02-26, 02:48 AM
Terath studies the ground, but he fails to find signs of the passage of creatures through this door. The floor is composed of hard flagstones, a poor surface indeed to track prey across, and unlike the crypt above there are no bloody marks on the floor to aid in tracking movement. If what Larietta said is true, it is likely the attackers passed through here five days ago now.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-26, 04:54 AM
Anvil slowly walks towards the statue, waiting for taps on the shoulder from Laren that indicate it seems safe to progress. Once he passes the statue, he stops to inspect it and the flanking door with the others.

Gonna search the statue and door once each, but also he's just looking them over to see what they're there for.
Search (Statue): [roll0]
Search (Door): [roll1]

JDL
2015-02-26, 05:14 AM
Anvil examines the statue. The statue appears to be of a human woman of middle to late age, her hands raised into the air. Her face appears kindly and warm. The statue itself is carved of solid stone, and appears too heavy to move. On either side of the statue are two fountains of water that bubble merrily. He does not detect any signs of traps on the statue.

Anvil examines the door. He can see the stone door has no lock, merely a simple handle to open it should he wish. On the door is an inscription chiseled into the stone:

Verduun Mikolos 931 YK - 996 YK
Gola Mikolos 937 YK - 996 YK
Together in life,
And ever after.

He does not detect any sign of traps on the door.

Kish
2015-02-26, 05:21 AM
"Those inscriptions are usually metaphorical, but considering what's happening in this tomb, I have to wonder about this one," Laren murmurs as he studies the door for two minutes.
Taking 20 for 26 to search the door.

JDL
2015-02-26, 07:17 AM
Laren confirms Anvil's examination and fails to find any traps attached to the door. The door is solid stone, with a pivot point and no hinges.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-26, 01:34 PM
"I do not want to be flanked later.", the forged states in explanation while awkwardly pulling the door open with his trident, then his foot once it is open far enough.

JDL
2015-02-26, 04:51 PM
Anvil cautiously opens the stone door. Three steps lead down into what must be a private vault. A low whirring comes from somewhere within, but it fades quickly. To the east stands the statue of a man in robes, his eyes downcast. His marble hands hold an open stone book. Two plain sarcophagi are also here, their lids sealed. The stone here gleams as if it was polished yesterday, and no sign of vermin or dust is anywhere. Tiny niches are built into the masonry in a sparse but orderly pattern.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=108455)

Spot checks please

Kish
2015-02-26, 04:58 PM
Laren peers about curiously.

[roll0]

JDL
2015-02-26, 05:03 PM
Laren is extremely impressed by how clean and well maintained this room appears. It's as if some magical force was keeping the passage of time and the elements at bay.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-26, 06:21 PM
Akasigho can easily see over the head of Laren and into the room.

Spot check [roll0]
And Spellcraft check if applicable [roll1]

JDL
2015-02-26, 06:34 PM
Akasigho moves up to the door and looks inside. Her keen eyes spot a golden glint inside one of the tiny niches in the stonework. It looks like a tiny wasp, but has a human-like metal face and two minuscule limbs.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=108464)

You may make a Knowledge: Arcana check to identify this creature if you wish.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-27, 01:06 PM
Akasigho taps Anvil's shoulder and points to the Clockwork Mender, A little repair man, I'm going to talk to it. I don't expect it to respond, I don't believe it can communicate.

Hello little keeper, you've done an amazing job keeping this place in top condition. We won't disturb you, or this chamber.

I can't see the map at the moment, I'm on a mobile, but I expect that this room is a dead end. If it's not, change that celestial communication to select our desire to pass through.

Kish
2015-02-27, 01:13 PM
Laren doesn't understand what Akasigho says to the mender, but he studies the mender with fascination from where he's standing.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-28, 02:54 AM
I'm not sure if it'll attack, I don't think we're really disturbing it, just don't break anything or take anything.... Anvil, it might actually be able to repair you if you get damaged. Should I ask it?

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-28, 04:39 AM
"I cannot see the harm." He steps into the room to test it's reaction; better to find out now than later when wounded.

JDL
2015-02-28, 06:20 AM
There's an angry buzzing noise from the niches in the wall as Anvil steps inside the room, and the glint of several more Clockwork Menders shows the one the group has seen is not alone.

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=108695)

Initiative!

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-28, 10:50 AM
Anvil promptly steps back through the door and closes it. "I saw the harm."

Kish
2015-02-28, 11:46 AM
"Think they'll just let us go a different way?" Laren asks, making sure his morningstar is ready.

hoplathemightly
2015-02-28, 01:16 PM
Ummm, I'd say it depends on their range of concern for their job. If they care for that room alone then hopefully they won't follow us. Akasigho slowly backs away from the door, Anvil and Laren, expecting the Mender's to come through the very wall itself.

abadguy
2015-03-01, 11:41 PM
Seeing Anvil's very matter of fact withdrawal from the room, Terath also readies his morningstar. Surely there's another way? He looks around, searching for any hidden doors his keen elven senses might pick up.

((If uninterrupted, Terath first does a walk around the walls of the room then does a Search of the walls for any other markings or clues - Search [roll0]))

JDL
2015-03-02, 01:57 AM
As Anvil shuts the door the droning noise from the other side abruptly ceases, and it's with relief that the party discovers the creatures have no interest in leaving their chamber.

End Combat
Exp: None

Terath uses his keen Elven senses to scan the surrounding walls, but he fails to detect any sign of other doors, secret or otherwise. To the north-east, a staircase descends down to another room.

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-02, 01:15 PM
Anvil leads the group to and down the staircase, waiting for Laren's signal before each step.

JDL
2015-03-02, 10:03 PM
Anvil leads the group down the stairs. The colour of the stone here is a darker grey, and the shape of the blocks making up the walls changes. The staircase ends at a stone door which has a strange image engraved on it. As the group approaches the door swings open on it's own. Magical white light suddenly illuminates a wide room that's divided into four distinct areas. Each area is roughly octagonal and roughly the same size. The ceiling in each of these areas is vaulted and about 20 feet high at the apex. A stylized symbol of an eye adorns the centre of the tiled floor in the central section of the room. Several tiles in the side rooms appear different to the others, like images of some sort are engraved upon them, but the details are too fine to make out from your current position.

Local Map: (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=109023)
http://s24.postimg.org/mzzi6hu5h/map16x15a.png

Door Image:
http://s30.postimg.org/jsgdukj1t/map16x15a_door.png

Kish
2015-03-02, 10:32 PM
"I think that tile there," Laren points to the central tile, "corresponds to the first two words of the riddle. Since the passage we seek is not below it, I suggest carefully avoiding any contact with it; I'm going to take a look at the others."

Laren suits action to word, if Anvil will let him past. He studies the floor he's about to step on for six seconds before each step taking 10 on a Search check for each square, and proceeds clockwise, getting close enough to the west tiles to examine them, then the north ones, then the east ones. He carefully avoids touching any tile that shows a weird-eye-sphere's eye.
Taking 10 for 17 on the Knowledge: Arcana checks, if that's allowed.

JDL
2015-03-02, 11:10 PM
Laren carefully moves through the room. He doesn't detect any traps as he goes, and he examines each of the tiles in order.

http://s2.postimg.org/sxxiq48mt/004.pngc8: This tile appears to be an image of a bent-over man. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Fast Men Slow."

http://s2.postimg.org/p0a90plth/003.pngb7: This tile appears to be an image of a man sprawled on the ground. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Eye of Death."

http://s2.postimg.org/u2rkvhv3p/006.pngb6: This tile appears to be an image of two men shaking hands. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Friends Are Shy."

http://s2.postimg.org/5sn4443hx/002.pngc5: This tile appears to be an image of a rigid man. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Eye of Stone."

http://s2.postimg.org/n77cce0mt/001.pngg0: This tile appears to be an image of a running man. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Fear and Mind."

http://s2.postimg.org/g7tad10ol/005.pngh0: This tile appears to be an image of a levitating man. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Move You Around."

http://s2.postimg.org/84v41pg39/007.pngh1: This tile appears to be an image of a disappearing man struck by a ray. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Oblivion."

http://s2.postimg.org/bpvkyoa0l/008.pngm5: This tile appears to be an image of a sleeping man. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Sleep in Rest."

http://s2.postimg.org/m17xrc1px/009.pngn6: This tile appears to be an image of a man with his arms raised. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Enemy Friend."

http://s2.postimg.org/wpboq6bp1/010.pngn7: This tile appears to be an image of a bleeding man. Laren believes it relates to the verse "Painful Wound."

Local Map: (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=109025)
http://s12.postimg.org/e78e0tmal/map16x15b.png

Kish
2015-03-02, 11:17 PM
"I think we should try this one," Laren says, standing at H2 and pointing to H1.
Laren will take 20 looking for traps on that tile without touching it.

JDL
2015-03-02, 11:32 PM
Searching the area of the tile reveals no traps, but something interesting things come to Laren's attention. He finds the faintest outline of a kind of trapdoor or hatch beneath the tile, but there appears to be no mechanism to open it. It's likely that whatever magic is involved in the room's construction seals it until the appropriate conditions are met. It appears to be made of solid stone, likely several inches thick but hollow sounding on the other side as you tap the stone cautiously.

hoplathemightly
2015-03-03, 01:18 PM
Akasigho spends a minute or two reading and rereading the passage carved into stone, examining the depiction of the beast and silently contemplates the implications. She strides into the room examining the ceiling and the walls, looking for any sign of construction suggesting hidden passages. Then she goes to examine the tile depicting the "Friends are Shy" and "Sleep in Rest", trying to discern if the carvings show any sign of a direction. Finally she moves to Laren and says, Either this message is painfully straight forward, both literally and metaphorically. Or, there's a trick to it and we just have to look in the right place. I think this tile.. she points to the tile depicting the vanishing man, may be a false positive. The passage won't be accessible until we find the "real" passage. What they may be, I'm still considering...

Kish
2015-03-03, 01:28 PM
"It is odd that this place would be made to be accessible to anyone who could solve a riddle."

Laren searches the ceiling and walls of the side rooms, taking 20 for 26 on each Search check. He's careful to avoid touching any of the marked tiles.

abadguy
2015-03-06, 02:52 AM
Terath notices some of the tiles can be moved. He tries moving the following tiles to the following spots

Move c5 (Eye of Stone) to b6
Move g0 (Fear and Mind) to c5
Move b6 (Friends Are Shy) to h0
Move h0 (Move You Around) to g0

Hmmm he looks at the floor. This makes the poem match up to the tiles on the floor. But the oblivion tile is out of place

JDL
2015-03-06, 03:06 AM
As Terath drops the last tile into place, a ray of green light shoots out from the ceiling above the tile of the disappearing man! The floor is instantly disintegrated, revealing a metal ladder set into the stone below that descends into darkness.

Puzzle Complete!
Experience: 300 each

abadguy
2015-03-06, 04:31 AM
Terath watches as the tile disappears and feels a surge of relief at having shown the way, mollifying his near death near experiences previously.

Oh, looks like we can go up a level, he says giddily

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-06, 05:23 AM
If warforged scratched their heads, Anvil would do that now. "Well done, Terrath. I wonder, did Krootad and his minions reset this riddle?" he says, while walking over to the ladder. If it is dark at the bottom, he drops his torch down the chute.

Kish
2015-03-06, 09:00 AM
"Clever," Laren says, cutting his searching short to walk over to the ladder. "I wonder why there's a riddle here at all; apparently someone expected people who didn't know the way through but still had legitimate business here, when building this place."

hoplathemightly
2015-03-06, 12:36 PM
I'd wager the riddle is meant to confound and lead astray. Terath, did you even look at the riddle?? Akasigho leans awkwardly to wrap her arm around Terath's shoulder. Come on, share with us, how'd you know? Honestly I don't even know if Krootad could have deciphered that riddle, they probably found their route through that room of not so nice buzzers.

abadguy
2015-03-06, 03:55 PM
Heh, it seemed logical? Perhaps a lucky guess? Took me a while to figure it out while all of you were practically molesting the room. Terath returns Akashigo's shoulder wrap with a pat of affection on her back

After the initial rush of euphoria, Terath replies pensively to Laren's remark.

You're right Laren. Whoever had the power to set up this riddle... probably had something to protect here. We were careful not to touch some of the other tiles but it is possible there may be some sort of magical traps abound. Don't forget ... He points at the "Oblivion" tile ... that ray looked like it could have done real damage to anyone standing over the tile.

To Anvil, he says, It is possible Krootad went the other way. Here's hoping this is some sort of shortcut to wherever their final goal is.

Terath adjusts his eyes to the darkness lit by the torch Anvil dropped below and looks around.

((Spot [roll0]))

JDL
2015-03-06, 11:23 PM
The adventurers peer down the hole. The ladder is a set of steel rungs pounded into solid stone, decending 20 ft. to a room composed of the same darker stone as the puzzle room. The everburning torch lights the room below, revealing a square room 10 ft. on each side. A steep set of stairs at the east of the room descend to a landing and turn south, out of view.

Local Map: (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=109585)

http://s27.postimg.org/ntjqolb6b/map11x10.png

Bottom of the ladder is in black square at f2, if entering the room place yourself anywhere within 10 ft. of the black square

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-07, 05:55 AM
"It appears safe. I will ascertain if it so." He stows his trident and shield, then carefully descends the ladder, trying to move quietly, but it is difficult when every part of you is made of a hard surface. Arriving at the bottom, he rearms himself, and moves to block the stairway.

Moves to G1, uses tower shield total cover option against the stairway.

abadguy
2015-03-07, 01:32 PM
Terath readies his bow. I'll cover the rear, Akasigho, Laren, please go ahead

Kish
2015-03-07, 01:35 PM
Laren climbs down the ladder behind the warforged.

hoplathemightly
2015-03-07, 02:30 PM
Anything exciting down there, Anvil? She gestures for whomever would like to go next to proceed her, then the small cobra that occasionally rears its head slithers out from the folds of her loose garments. Hi Rasputin, mommy had an epiphany! I can't wait to test it and write down my ideas, maybe we'll get a moment soon.

Watching Laren descend Akasigho moves to follow him, climbing down the ladder into the poorly lit room below. She picks up the torch that Anvil dropped, I'll hold onto this for now.

JDL
2015-03-07, 06:36 PM
The group descends the ladder and take up defensive positions in the room. Nothing leaps out from the shadows to attack them, and the crypt is quiet. Akasigho hoists the everburning torch high and shines it around the room. It appears to be well made stone, dark and old in appearance but showing no signs of decay. The only obvious exit lies to the east, where Anvil holds the passage with his tower shield. There's a faint odour of decay beneath the musty, mouldering smell of the crypt.

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-07, 09:53 PM
Assuming their formation, Anvil leads the group down the stairs, waiting for Laren's okay before each step.

hoplathemightly
2015-03-08, 01:34 AM
Akasigho sniffs at the air, Rasputin's tongue flicks wildly and he slither back into the folds of her clothes. Do you think there are interred bodies here? If this was a secret chamber I'd be curious as to why or how bodies were placed within this area, she muses quietly to no one in particular.

I'm actually going to make a Spot check, specifically I'm looking for any signs of burial or tombs in the area as we pass. I'm curious if that smell is from entombed bodies or upright bodies. [roll0]

Kish
2015-03-08, 12:12 PM
I go back to checking each square for six seconds before we step on it.

JDL
2015-03-08, 07:39 PM
Akasigho examines the stone walls of this chamber. There appears to be no sign of alcoves for burial of the dead. The walls are dark stone and appear far older than the upper areas.

Further information available with a DC 15 Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering or DC 10 Search with Dwarven Stonecunning

Anvil takes the lead as the others follow behind, Laren peering over his shoulder to try to detect any traps ahead. The short staircase terminates at a landing that turns south and descends a steep set of stairs. As you reach the bottom of the second staircase, the narrow passage opens into a wide landing. Two piles of bones lie near an opening to the west, where another stairway descends. As you watch, the bones shift and stir. You hear what sounds like a wolf howl, but the call seems as if it comes from far away. Two dog-like skeletons rise and face you!

Local Map: (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=109805)
http://s23.postimg.org/o4vy60j57/map21x26f.png

Initiative:

Terrain notes: Staircase in i2-i3 is steep. It takes 2 squares or movement to negotiate each square. Creatures running or charging down steep stairs must succeed on a D C 10 Balance check, ending their movement 1d2x5 feet later if they fail. Those who fail by 5 or more fall prone and take 1d6 points or damage at the end of that movement. The DC of Tumble checks increases by 5. Creatures gain a +1 bonus on melee attack rolls whilst standing on the stairs against foes lower than them.

JDL
2015-03-08, 07:45 PM
The skeletal canines both snap at Anvil, their sharp teeth trying to find purchase on the warrior's legs.

Monster 1
Standard Action: Attack vs. Anvil AC 22 (flat-footed)

Monster 2
Free Action: 5 ft. step to i4
Standard Action: Attack vs. Anvil AC 22 (flat-footed)

JDL
2015-03-08, 07:46 PM
Roll to confirm critical threat from Monster 1 and additional damage:

Kish
2015-03-08, 07:53 PM
Laren readies his action to step up and attack one of the skeletal dogs if Anvil moves so that he can.

hoplathemightly
2015-03-08, 11:09 PM
Akasigho starts to back up past Terath, motioning him to proceed to her location and hopefully take fire at the skeletal dogs. Honestly, I don't think I'd be much help here. I'm afraid I may hit Anvil....

Move to g1. Move Action to retrieve the scroll, in case more undead come around the corner.

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-08, 11:10 PM
Anvil drops his trident, then slams his fist down onto the canine skeleton to his front, seeking to crush it's skull and spine. "Back up the stairs a bit, use slings." His voice is calm, and he seems unworried, despite the fanged jaws snapping at his legs.

This might be a bit boring, folks, but I think our best bet is to let Anvil fight them one one one, with upper ground advantage. If we back up the stairs just five feet, only one can attack him at a time, and you guys can still used ranged weapons or magic, albeit against soft cover. If you all hate this idea, let me know.

No move for him this turn.

abadguy
2015-03-08, 11:22 PM
Terath quickly steps forward to fill the gap by Akashigo. I'll support Anvil in the fight. Watch the rear, just in case!

5 ft step to i1
Full Attack on i4 (Rolls in OOC)

JDL
2015-03-09, 01:18 AM
There's a crunching noise as Anvil slams his fist into one of the canines, then two arrows come flying past him, neither managing to land a blow on the creatures.

Round 1 Finished
Begin Round 2

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=109813)

Anvil (27 hp/28 hp)
Laren (8 hp/8 hp)
Akasigho (12 hp/12 hp)
Terath (13 hp/16 hp)

The creatures both snap at Anvil, attempting to reach any soft part of his body through his adamantine plated shins.

Monster 1
Standard Action: Attack vs. Anvil AC 26 (+4 cover bonus)

Monster 2
Standard Action: Attack vs. Anvil AC 22

JDL
2015-03-09, 02:03 AM
Rolling to confirm Monster 1 critical threat and additional damage vs. Rhon AC 26 (+4 cover bonus):

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-09, 02:05 AM
Annoyed by the tenacious luck this skeleton is having against him, Anvil decides to quit tempting fate. He clamps his shield down against the stone steps, then disappears behind it.

Taking total cover. Readying a move action to ascend up the stairs five feet once there is room.

Kish
2015-03-09, 06:47 AM
Laren backs up to allow Anvil to, seeing the wisdom in the warforged's plan.

hoplathemightly
2015-03-09, 02:17 PM
What's going on down there? I can't see.

I'm not sure what Akasigho can do to help, I'm assuming I have one of the guard's slings though it's not on my sheet, so maybe not. Anyway, I might be able to provide ranged fire if I get closer... Narrow halls and staircases are not my area of preference.

abadguy
2015-03-09, 11:37 PM
Trying to smash some skeletons, as usual. Terath grumbles. He pulls out a holy water flask. No better time to use this! He throws the flask at the snapping skele-dog

Ranged Touch Attack vs Monster 1 at i4
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

JDL
2015-03-10, 02:10 AM
Terath tosses the flask of holy water over Anvil's head, but because of Anvil's shield, his shot goes wide and hits the wall. Holy water splashes around the impact, and where the drops strike the skeletons they sizzle and burn.

Round 2 Finished
Begin Round 3

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=109982)

Anvil (24 hp/28 hp)
Laren (8 hp/8 hp)
Akasigho (12 hp/12 hp)
Terath (13 hp/16 hp)

The canines move forward, mindlessly pursuing Anvil. The tower shield blocks the full width of the corridor, and they are unable to reach him past his defences. The one closest looks ready to strike as soon as Anvil drops his shield.

Monster 1
Free Action: 5 ft. step to i4

Monster 2
Free Action: 5 ft. step to i3
Damage: [roll1] (DR 2/Adamantine applied)

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-10, 03:53 AM
Anvil quickly obliges the unholy mutt, shifting his shield aside and ramming his fist down on it's skull.

JDL
2015-03-10, 05:10 AM
The slam hits the skeletal canine and sends shards of bone flying. It looks ragged and broken, and it's doubtful it will survive another hit.

Kish
2015-03-10, 08:25 AM
Laren watches, unable to affect the fight's outcome from where he is.

hoplathemightly
2015-03-10, 07:56 PM
Akasigho takes a second to pull out one of the holy water vials held in her loose clothing. Holding it out to Terath, Care for another try?

abadguy
2015-03-11, 12:52 AM
Terath grins. Don't mind if I do!

He grabs the vial and hurls it at the skele-mutts

Move Action: Take Holy Water from Akasigho
Std Action: Fling Vial at Undead Canine
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage [roll1] I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add favoured enemy damage bonus to this. If not, then please subtract 3 from the total if the vial hits.

JDL
2015-03-13, 01:38 AM
As the vial sails overhead, it just misses hitting one of the skeletal canines. The glass shatters, showering the surrounding area in droplets of holt water, again smoking and burning where they hit the undead creatures.

Round 3 Finished
Begin Round 4

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=110457)

Anvil (24 hp/28 hp)
Laren (8 hp/8 hp)
Akasigho (12 hp/12 hp)
Terath (13 hp/16 hp)

The creature closest to Anvil takes another bite at the warrior, teeth gleaming in the flickering torchlight.

Monster 2

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-13, 03:32 AM
Anvil returns the favor with another slam of his metal-clad arm.

abadguy
2015-03-13, 06:48 AM
This is frustrating. I thought the holy water would have been more effective. Terath grumbled as he pulls out another flask. Shrugging, he hurls it at the same bone hound

Move: Retrieve Acid Flask
Std: Fling at i4

Modifiers:
Attack: +1 PBS
Damage: +1 PBS, +3 Favoured Enemy

Ranged Touch attack [roll0]

Kish
2015-03-13, 06:58 AM
Laren keeps watching.

hoplathemightly
2015-03-14, 12:49 PM
Akasigho considers retrieving her remaining flask of Holy Water but decides to hold onto it, just in case. Instead she stows the scroll back into her loose garments and watches from the edge of the corner, hoping to see the conflict.

JDL
2015-03-15, 06:58 PM
Anvil's strike goes wide, slamming the stairs in front of him as the bony beast sidesteps the swing. Terath's acid flask flies overheand, and the bubbling liquid scores a direct hit on the rear creature and splashes over its companion, burning them both with acid.

Round 4 Finished
Begin Round 5

Local Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=110457)

Anvil (24 hp/28 hp)
Laren (8 hp/8 hp)
Akasigho (12 hp/12 hp)
Terath (13 hp/16 hp)

The skeletal canine bites at Anvil, savaging the adamantine plates that protect his legs.

Monster 2

hoplathemightly
2015-03-15, 09:16 PM
Akasigho watches the brutal exchange between the skeletal dogs and Anvil. In her head she assures herself that he'll be fine and she should save her spells for their confrontation with Krootad.

abadguy
2015-03-16, 03:38 AM
I've run out of objects to throw at them. I don't think arrows work well against them. Terath throws his remaining acid flask at the epidermis-challenged hounds

Move: Retrieve Acid Flask
Std: Fling at i4

Modifiers:
Attack: +1 PBS
Damage: +1 PBS, +3 Favoured Enemy

Ranged Touch attack [roll0]