PDA

View Full Version : My first map!

Yagyujubei
2015-01-14, 03:45 AM
made a map for my homebrew campaign because our DM was just using something that he made in paint. I'd never done one before (though I'm no stranger to photoshop obv.) but I think it turned out pretty darn good. Just wanted to get some feedback and to be completely honest I've been up finishing it, am a bit strung out, and wanted to show it to someone/anyone because I'm excited lol.

The quality isn't the best because I had to compress it for a manageable file size, and the roads/rivers are a bit derpy....maybe ill redo them tomorrow..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/XxsmashmasterxX/TheWestfoldMapRemakeJPG.jpg

Foodle
2015-01-14, 04:14 AM
Looks pretty good, i really need to learn how to use photoshop :smallbiggrin:

If you're looking to get into making more maps i'll point you to a site i stumbled across when i attempted to do that same (http://www.cartographersguild.com/) lots of good info and some tutorials/themes/ideas to look at on there.

Senshi Akai
2015-01-14, 05:19 AM
That's an... amazing art. :smalleek: The shores look a little rustic, but other than that, I am really impressed.

You could add a scale somewhere, it would be a nice touch (as a player, I really think it is important and neat, but that is just me).

Balor777
2015-01-14, 05:26 AM
I looks nice altho the serolution sucks.
Very good job.
I made some maps at PAINT some years ago using photos from google earth from real countries parts.
Its bad i dont have copy anymore but your look much much better.
Make more for use to use if you want!!

Edenbeast
2015-01-14, 09:00 AM
Pretty nice map! What's are isles of myst? The area differs in colour from the rest of the main land. Is it an intertidal zone?
I usually draw my maps by hand, then scan them and use photoshop to add legenda and other items in various layers. Off course you could make the enitre thing electronically, but I find my drawing skills to be better on real paper.

Yagyujubei
2015-01-14, 12:47 PM
Pretty nice map! What's are isles of myst? The area differs in colour from the rest of the main land. Is it an intertidal zone?
I usually draw my maps by hand, then scan them and use photoshop to add legenda and other items in various layers. Off course you could make the enitre thing electronically, but I find my drawing skills to be better on real paper.

it's like a swamp that spans for hundreds of miles and gradually becomes this zone of shallow and treacherous coastal water filled with razor sharp rocks and small islands that's shrouded in zero visibility mist. of the 5 groups running campaigns in this world no one has gone over there yet lol. I wanted to go for like a saturated more colorful look on the map, so I made the whole area purple.

and yeah the resolution is really bothering me, I did all the map art in photoshop and then brought the file into illustrator so I could have more freedom placing text and the transition lost alot of quality....

also, the scale is a great idea...i know that our DM has one but i forgot what it is exactly...i'll have to ask him.