PDA

View Full Version : PercenTactics

painintheear
2007-04-01, 10:26 PM
It was suggested that I repost this here:

PercenTactics is a rule system i thought of awhile ago that I would like to use. It is simple to setup while very strategic in playing with highly open-ended combat based entirely on percentage of possibility as the tactics and skills used are determined by the player each round.

I will explain the rules in the following (over-)simplified and made-up battle.

Battle 1) Dagger vs. Ogre

[This battle will be fought between a 6 foot tall girl and a 7.5 foot tall ogre. The girl holds a small dagger and the Ogre holds a large battle axe. The people are Fate (like the DM), Dagger (the girl), and Ogre (the ogre). The arena will be a huge grassy expanse with low-cut grass and basically nothing else. The two are standing about two feet apart.

Fate: For this battle Dagger goes first. Fate begins the game with determining who starts the first round - in this case Dagger due to her quicker speed.

Dagger: I'll start off with a charge and four very quick strikes of my dagger at 45% chance each of hitting for light damage. Dagger states her move and gives her estimate of the chance to hit the ogre and the damage.

Fate: Hmm... I'd say the first dagger would do better, say 60 with 10 at damaging the face, the second around 40 with 7 at face damage, the third at 33 and 5 at face damage, and the last 20 with 4 face damage. Lets check it out:

dagger try 1) (hit:60(face:10)) PercentRoll:9 "Face Hit!!"
dagger try 2) (hit:40(face:7)) PercentRoll:72 "Miss"
dagger try 3) (hit:33(face:5)) PercentRoll:33 "Hit!"
dagger try 4) (hit:20(face:4)) PercentRoll:4 "Face Hit!!"

Ogre is just barely scratched across his right shoulder, his nose is cut (causing some irritation) and his left eye is badly damaged and no longer functional. Your turn Ogre. It is fate's job to determine actual percentages and additional ways damage can be dealt. It is nice to restate the possibilities at the percents section (any format can be used) if there were many actions. Notice that actions only count if the percentroll is less than or equal to the number.

Ogre: Darn, umm... My vision is down but I don't think that would cause any real detriment to this plan: I'll take my right foot back a step and swing my axe like a baseball bat at her. I would say that up to 65 should kill her and 66-75 deeply wounds her torso and 76-90 would destroy her arm, but under the vision difficulty (which i don't think really hurts this that much) I will say 1-62(kill);63-70(wounded torso);71-80(destroys arm). A well formulated plan, notice the accounting in for vision.

Fate: I completely agree with you analysis of the hit, but... I don't think you could do it quick enough - I'd have to give Dagger a very small turn to defend/counter/whatever. Do you still wish to go throught with it? For turns such as these it is a nice courtesy to give the opponent a quick defensive turn (about 10 sec. worth of real time) but to also warn the attacker about the wait.

Ogre: Yeah, I'll go.. I like the odds here!

Fate: Fine, Dagger, your turn. Even when it is obvious it is nice to wait for Fate to tell who has the turn.

Dagger: You know what... screw dodging, if i don't make it I'm a dead woman. I'm going for a death-blow! I'm gonna jump up with two hands on the dagger and smash it into his face - aiming for the eyes to hit him through and kill him. I'd say 1-20(kill);21-24(complete blindness); 25-29(damages already blind eye). A crazy plan!! Heehee..

Fate: Hmm... I agree. Good luck!

Dagger's Last Stand) PercentRoll: 11 Victory! The crazy ploy won! Notice another way of writing out the pontential damages and how they weren't rewritten due to the fact that A) they were long B) it was only one action and C) no changes were required

Naturally I would like some people to play this game with... if i only get two we can play a versus battle and pass around being Fate, etc. Aim or Yahoo messenging would be the easiest way to play - especially for a campaign with multiple people - but other things could work out as well. I would like feed-back through posts here or a pm - thanks!

+++
Extra Note this Time: This is obviously just a simple way of playing and is in no way fully fledged out - not that there is any intention of over-fledging it out. You just have to put some things in the hand of 'Fate.' ;)