PDA

View Full Version : Enemy templating for City Siege. Tl;dr included!

NOhara24
2015-01-14, 01:32 PM
Hello Playground,

It seems I always come back when I know I'm in need of help. I'm close to ending a 2-year (with a year break) campaign and I need to finish strong. I had a weak "Chapter 5" because of a player character who has since been removed as well as the holidays taking away from my session planning time. The first session of Chapter 6 is this Saturday and I've ordered a brand new set of tiles to help things along. The main idea for this session is that my PCs are going to have to work their way through a town under siege to retrieve the McGuffin in which the attacking forces are also looking for the McGuffin, as well as the PCs themselves.

When the players arrive, the opposing force will have already beaten them there and are already deep in their search. Fire, panic, destruction abound. Because of my party composition, I think they will have a large amount of trouble sneaking about. All of them are level 18.

Half-Titan/Half-Fire Giant Paladin.
Catfolk Sorceress.
Winged Human Mysterious Stranger (CHA-based Gunslinger out of PF)
Human Paladin/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator.

So the idea here is that they know where the McGuffin is, and the opposing forces don't. Since it's a force going against them that's large enough to attack a medium-sized trade city, I don't know where to quite place the enemies on the power scale so that I'll slowly "wear down" my party and at the same time have them fear the enemy in numbers. I was planning on using change to mark enemy positions on the city's tiles (of which I will have completely laid out) and I was hoping the coins themselves would lend me some versatility. I was thinking the following.

Quarter = ~150HP, ~35AC, Level 10 Cleric?
Dime = ~100HP, ~30AC, Level 10 Paladin or Full Caster?
Nickel = ~50HP, ~25 AC, Level 10 Fighter
Penny = Wight.

I based the opposing force off of Taiia, listed in Deities and Demigods, if that helps anyone out. I was figuring the opposing force could be equal parts Purifying Flame and Blinded Mendicants. The idea is that I can just keep throwing enemies at the players in decent numbers at a time for a level 18 party whenever they're spotted, and keep doing thatuntil they kill ridiculous amount of these enemies. (Which, I know is entirely possible to do in an instant if built properly, but the Wizard PC who was capable of doing that died and has been replaced by the Half-Giant Paladin.) or until they manage to escape.

Any ideas?

tl;dr

I need 3 or 4 templates of moderately-powered enemies for my players to deal with during a potentially very long encounter.