PDA

View Full Version : The Brush God

Innis Cabal
2007-04-02, 12:11 AM
Brush God
The saying goes “A picture is worth one thousand words”, if this is true then the painter is a master of the spoken language and the world around himself. With a single stroke on the canvass a painter works his own little world as if he was god and all else was but leaves in the wind. In a world were a single gesture and a few words can alter the state of the world, then how unbelievable is it that the painter, who already controls the world of art, could learn to exert his will upon the world of reality. These powerful few are gifted with the power to make the very world around himself a canvass, and blessed by the gods of art, are given an ink that allows them to make use of the canvass.

B.A.B: As wizard
Saves: As wizard
Skills: As wizard
Hit die: d6

Entry Requirements
Skills: Profession (Painter) 10 ranks, Knowledge (arcane) 8 ranks
Feats: Craft Wondrous item, Skill Focus: Painting
Spells: Ability to cast 4th level arcane or divine spell
Special: Must create an ink jug and paintbrush worth at least 16,000 gold

Weapon and armor proficiencies: A brush god gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies

Ink Jug: At 1st a brush god’s ink jug fills with a special ink that can alter the fabric of reality. The ink jug holds 20 ink points, which the brush god may use to fuel is special abilities. To use an ability the brush god must first ready his brush, which takes a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The brush god then must declare which ability he is going to use and spend the ink points for the ability. The next turn the brush god must succeed a profession check (DC equal to 10+1/2 ink points used), if the check succeeds the spell takes affect as the spell. All abilities DC’s are equal to 10+casters cha bonus+level of the spell. At each level after 1st a brush god gains 10 more ink points. Ink points regeneate at a rate of 5 points every hour. Caster levels for all abilities are equal to their class level. So a sorcerer 10/brush god 5 will be caster level 15 for all his brush god powers.

Amaterasu(Sp): At first level a brush god gains the ability to use his ink to summon forth the power of light. This affect is identical to the daylight spell. This ability costs 5 ink points

Tachigami(Sp): At 1st level the brush god has learned with a single stroke he can cut his foes and cuase damage to objects. At 1st level the brush god may make a single ranged touch attack to deal 1d6 points of damage to a single foe. At 5th level the damage increases to 2d6, and 3d6 at 10th. This ability takes 10 ink points. An enemy is granted a reflex save for half damage. This ability is equal to a 3rd level spell

Yomigami(Sp): At 2nd level the brush god has learned to channel the forces of change into his brush, granting him the ability to repair damage to objects. This affect is identical to repair moderate damage. This ability costs 10 ink points

Hanagami(Sp): At 3rd level the brush god learns to tune his ink into the growth of the world around himself. With several quick brush strokes a brush god can cause non intelligent plant growth to grow twice its size. This ability takes 15 ink points. This affect is equal to a 5th level spell.

Bakugami(Sp): At 4th level a brush god learns to channel the power of flame into a sphere and hurl it as his foes. This ability mimics the rolling fire spell. This ability costs 15 ink points

Nuregami(Sp): At 5th level the brush god learns to attune his brush to the gentle flow of water allowing him control over the ebbs and flows of the ocean. This ability is identical to the control water spell. This ability costs 25 ink points

Yumigami(Sp): At 6th level the brush god learns to channel the darkness of his ink into the surrounding world. This ability is identical to the deeper darkness spell. This ability costs 20 ink points

Kazegami(Sp): At 7th level, with a single movement of his brush, the brush god summons the mighty winds to his bidding. This ability is identical to the control winds spell. This ability costs 25 ink points.

Moegami(Sp): At 7th the brush god learns to further channel the fire of creativity into the world. This ability is identical to the fireball spell. This ability costs 20 ink points.

Kasugami(Sp): At 7th a brush god learns to weave a cloud of mist to obscure his works from the sight of men. This ability functions as the solid fog spell. This ability costs 20 points

Kabegami(Sp): At 9th level with a moment of deep thought the brush god motions to his feet and with a deep breath he allows his inspiration to lift him to the sky. This ability is identical to the fly spell. This ability costs 30 ink points.

Gekigami(Sp): At 9th level with a single stroke from the sky the brush god charges his paint brush with the power of the heavens, and launch’s it at his foes. This ability is identical to the lightning bolt spell. This ability costs 25 ink points

Itegami(Sp): At 10th level, the brush god learns to pull the arctic cold from the world around himself towards his enemy. This ability is identical to the cone of cold spell. This ability uses 35 ink points

Starsinger
2007-04-02, 01:53 AM
Flavorful it's kinda neat, but why on a mechanical level would I want to give up my nice arcane caster progression to cast a few spells with ink points?

alchemy.freak
2007-04-02, 11:26 AM
I would think the entry skill would be craft(painting or visual art) not profession(painter)

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-02, 12:28 PM
Neat class, clearly ripped from the "Okami game", so it can use some work.but I think it'd be better as a 5-level Prestige Class that also has 'Gain extra spells per dayas previous caster levels" and also has "Polymorph Self" but it only applies to the 12 animals of the zodiac...

Innis Cabal
2007-04-02, 01:15 PM
@Starsinger-becuase some people like RP and innovative ideas to power buids
@alchemy.freak-i think profession works just fine, though i do see your point.
@Mojotech-yes it was ripped clearly from Okami, there will be more work comming, espically for Hanagami and bakugami. A five level prestige class seems to top heavy, gaining 12 abilities in 5 levels is just a bit much IMO. And why would they gain polymorph if this is sticking with the flavor of the game? I was unaware that Amaterasu gained that ability, though i have yet to complete the game.

the idea is to give up greater spell casting abilities for a focus to alter the world around you, when some changes are made i think it will become apparent why they do not get caster level progression, though i have been thinking of giving them a bost at every even level....what do you think?

Starsinger
2007-04-02, 02:49 PM
As I said, flavor wise it's sort of neat. But I'm always lenient to shoot myself in the foot for flavor, especially when said flavor requires bookkeeping. Especially since I can RP just as well as a Sorcerer 20 than I can as a Sorcerer 10/Brushgod 10.
Also... what are the caster levels for the class's spell like abilities?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-02, 02:51 PM
yes, i did forget that, remembered that at work last night and forgot my laptop to fix it. The caster levels for all abilities are equal to your character level. So a level 9 sorcerer/1 brush god would be caster level 10 for the abilities.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-02, 04:19 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2310743#post2310743

Innis Cabal
2007-04-02, 04:32 PM
i think it takes away from the over all feel of the class in regards to the game abilities honestly, no offense, yes it is underpowered and on the other forum it is posted on there is descussion on making it a base class along the same lines as a warlock....though your PrC is nice i dont see it fitting the flavor of what i set out to do. Some of the abilities will be reworked tonight...but now i must play Okami to get a better feel....

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-02, 04:36 PM
Hehe, as someone who's played through the game twice, I feel they are indeed relevant to the gam and accurately represent the powers you may recieve. But since you don't like it, I'll just put it in it's own thread so it can be reviewed on it's own merits. :P

Innis Cabal
2007-04-02, 04:42 PM
i did not say that i didnt like it, but i am using the celestial brush techs as moves, not just move such as the ink bullet, and move earth i would assume relates to her dib ability

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-02, 05:09 PM
Yeah, you hit it right on the nose with "Move Earth", however the Ink Bullets are an actual ability one can get in the Okami game with the appropriate items equipped... However I'm still moving it because I'm proud of it, and think it deserves it's own thread. (Unless a Moderator tells me not to...)

Quick question though, How far ARE you in Okami, anyway?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-02, 05:14 PM
i got it saturday, but i went on to wiki to get all the brush god powers. I am just at the sunken ship first play though i have gone and done everything i can to unlock the most i can at the first play through. So i know most, not all of course, of the abilities. I hope when myself and the several others on the other forum this is posted get the base class done you will review it for me