PDA

View Full Version : You shall form a strong alliance, and the world's most awesome band... (new artifact)

Druid
2007-04-02, 12:40 AM
The Pick of Destiny

Said to have been carved from the tooth of an archfiend, this green guitar pick resembles a horned skull and greatly enhances the abilities of a character who uses bardic music or similar effects. Unless otherwise noted, each ability requires the user to spend one daily use of bardic music or one thematically similar ability such as a virtuoso performance. What does and does not qualify as a thematically similar ability is up to the DM. All abilities use your ranks in perform (string instruments) as their caster level.

The pick of destiny grants its user a +30 enhancement bonus on perform (string instruments checks) and an additional 5 uses of bardic music per day. This ability is always active.

Blow Your Mind: Feeblemind, as the spell.

Blow Doors Down: A powerful force launches towards your opponent, damaging and pushing them back. This functions as a ring of the ram. The force is as strong as if 3 charges had been expended to create it.

Master Exploder: a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier you may attempt to instantly kill one creature within 30 ft. The target must make a fortitude save (DC: 10+1/2 your character level +CHA modifier) or die as its brain explodes through the top of its head. This is a death affect that is subject to spell resistance.

Psychedelic Rock: Rainbow pattern, as the spell.

Heavy Metal: Stoneskin, as the spell. Unlike a normal stoneskin spell, heavy metal does not require 25ogp worth of diamond dust. Your skin takes on the appearance of metal rather than stone.

Speed Metal: This functions as a haste spell, except you may affect a number of targets equal to your ranks in perform (string instruments).

Those are all the abilities I've thought of for now. If anyone else has some ideas (especially for musical genre abilities) I'd be glad to hear them.

jlousivy
2007-04-02, 01:05 AM
Ska: Your Reputation(if applicable) drops by fifty.

Screemo: deafness, as the spell

sorry... i had to

Reinboom
2007-04-02, 10:34 AM
To not play rock or metal with the pick of destiny? blasphemy!

You should put in either a variable chance to summon an aspect of a lord of hell, against you of course, or if you use it too much. Or at least a powerful devil.
It should also give a bonus to intimidate in my opinion,

and of course, be a major artifact.

Kalessin
2007-04-02, 11:12 AM
Power metal: You instantly summon a pit fiend.

Legoman
2007-04-02, 01:25 PM
Change master exploder to 'melt face' and its made of win.

Druid
2007-04-02, 03:49 PM

The pick was originaly used on a lute and after that gave birth to the blues (maybe I'll add a mass crushing despair effect). I don't see a problem with giving it abilities based on, for example, punk or grunge rock.

You should put in either a variable chance to summon an aspect of a lord of hell, against you of course, or if you use it too much. Or at least a powerful devil.
It should also give a bonus to intimidate in my opinion,

and of course, be a major artifact.

Doesn't really fit in with the movie.

Change master exploder to 'melt face' and its made of win.

If you haven't seen Pick of Destiny the Master Exploder ability probably doesn't make much sense. No worries, youtube saves the day (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FmMM_FWX7gA).

I'm in kind of a hurry, updates to the pick itself sometime this week.

Miles Invictus
2007-04-02, 05:09 PM
"Blow Your Mind" should be the death effect. "Master Exploder" should be something like a dragon's breath weapon that applies Sonic damage, as well as Shatter to anything within five feet.

...one of these days, I'm going to get started on my Tenacious D prestige class...

Reinboom
2007-04-03, 12:08 PM
The lute sounded closer to rock with the pick. I forgot about the blues though.
Hmmn, there should be something to signify the whole if the devil gets it, he will complete thing. However, if you are letsay, fighting the aspect of Asmodeus (CR 27), the difference in power is so great by then that it would be kind of silly to have. Even if the 'devil' is actually Mephistopheles, who looks more like the devil in POD anyways, that's still a CR 24 just for his aspect.
I'm also overthinking this. hmmn

Telonius
2007-04-03, 02:14 PM

Such as a Shiney Demon (http://www.giantitp.com//forums/showthread.php?t=10380&highlight=Shiney+Demon)? :smallcool:

elliott20
2007-04-03, 02:26 PM
You should also have an ability to summon Groupies.

also, does the wielder of the pick gain a highly improbable tattoo on their butt cheeks?

I wonder if someone is going to write up a bong of destiny as well.

Fizban
2007-04-03, 06:47 PM
I might suggest running a search for the Hellborn Virtuoso, a slightly more serious PrC on the boards. It capstone (or close to it), is the ability to use blasphemy by expending bardic music. This becomes effectively Power Chord: Kill, as it kills nearby low-HD non-evil types.

alchemy.freak
2007-04-03, 09:02 PM
Might i suggest, any instrument that is not awesome enough (Lutes are right out) bursts into flames as it can not contain its power. or something along those lines