PDA

View Full Version : Hierophant question

Yahzi
2007-04-02, 12:47 AM
Spell Power

This special ability increases a hierophant’s effective caster level by 1 for purposes of determining level-dependent spell variables and for caster level checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#casterLevelChecks). This ability can be selected more than once, and changes to effective caster level are cumulative.

Why would anyone ever take a level of Hierophant to get a special power, and then choose Spell Power as his power, when he could have just taken a level of his original class and gotten Spell Power plus spell progression?

MeklorIlavator
2007-04-02, 12:49 AM
Because the Hierophant already gives casterlevel increases, so the spell power increses the caster level again, so he gains an effective +2 to caster level, without the spells known.

Yahzi
2007-04-02, 12:54 AM
As long as we're talking about Core PRCs, what about Horizon Walker? A bunch of lame-o choices mixed in with Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds. Has anyone ever taken any ranks in this class, except to get that?

Yahzi
2007-04-02, 01:00 AM
Because the Hierophant already gives casterlevel increases, so the spell power increses the caster level again, so he gains an effective +2 to caster level, without the spells known.
Right, I see. I misread it the first time. Thanks!

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-02, 01:49 AM
As long as we're talking about Core PRCs, what about Horizon Walker? A bunch of lame-o choices mixed in with Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds. Has anyone ever taken any ranks in this class, except to get that?

Some people stick around for Tremorsense, too. It also boosts a bunch of skills. Not a bad choice for a core barb/ranger/fighter mix of some kind.

Aquillion
2007-04-02, 02:09 AM
Yeah, the non-planar bonuses aren't that bad if you design your character to take advantage of them. +4 to a skill you've already maxed is nothing to sneeze at. A Horizon Walker can be really, really good at a handful of things while keeping full BAB and getting a handful of other perks.

But still... the dimension door ability just looks so out of place. Other classes get the ability to use weakened versions of dimension door once per day and consider it a major class feature.

Rad
2007-04-02, 02:11 AM
it also has a very cool name :smallsmile:

Back to the Hierophant, has anybody taken levels in t before level 20 (when spellcasting progression completely halts however)? Why?

Starsinger
2007-04-02, 02:17 AM
I wasn't aware people actually took levels of Hierophant. I heard of one guy once... but thought it was an urban legend.

Rad
2007-04-02, 02:36 AM
I wasn't aware people actually took levels of Hierophant. I heard of one guy once... but thought it was an urban legend.

I guess it should be a good epic option since +1 CL is what you'd get anyway.

Starsinger
2007-04-02, 02:39 AM
Yeah... I could see an Epic Hierophant, but not before.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-02, 03:24 AM
I've taken one level before, for Divine Reach.

Deepblue706
2007-04-02, 03:36 PM
No you haven't.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-02, 03:41 PM
Er, yes, I have?

Duskwither
2007-04-02, 03:47 PM
Honestly, I love the class. The lack of spell level progession kills it for me all the time, however. I'd have to say, though, that all things considered, Divine Reach is worth it.

In a game I'm in currently, the DM house-ruled the class to progress spell-levels. It makes me wish I'd played a cleric, but I don't think I'm going to complain with my 9th level spells as a wizard.

And while we're on the topic of PrCs... What about that Thaumaturgist (sp?)? Is that worth taking at all?

Turcano
2007-04-02, 03:55 PM
Some people stick around for Tremorsense, too. It also boosts a bunch of skills. Not a bad choice for a core barb/ranger/fighter mix of some kind.
And as long as you're taking levels in it, Darkvision is nothing to sneer at.

As for the Hierophant, I'd only take it for Divine Reach or in epic.

Deepblue706
2007-04-02, 04:32 PM
Er, yes, I have?

No. I refuse to accept that as truth, because I do not wish to, for purposes of supporting my previous statement.

Draz74
2007-04-02, 04:34 PM

I've heard of Barbarians dipping a level to get immunity to fatigue. So they don't have to wait so long for Tireless Rage. (E.g. they're planning to PrC out of Barbarian before they get Tireless Rage anyway.)

Miles Invictus
2007-04-02, 05:26 PM
Not to mention, immunity to fatigue applies to everything.

I think Horizon Walker is a fair alternative to the later levels of Ranger -- on one hand, you get progression for Favored Enemy, spellcasting, animal companions, and stealth. On the other hand, you get a heap of skill bonuses, terrain-based damage bonuses, and some neat special abilities like dimension door, darkvision, fire/cold resist, and tremorsense.

But, yeah, Hierophant? Divine Reach is about the only ability that justifies losing spellcasting progression.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-02, 09:49 PM
A 1 level dip into horizon walker lets your barb/frenzied zerk rage without ever getting fatigued.

Quietus
2007-04-03, 01:40 AM
*Gestures subtly two posts up for Tor's benefit*

Yahzi
2007-04-03, 11:26 AM
Thanks, guys!

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-03, 11:48 AM
*Gestures subtly two posts up for Tor's benefit*

Doh.

and then some

Clementx
2007-04-03, 05:18 PM
The Planar terrains all kinda suck, except for Dimension Door, which is insane. If you buff up the others and make the Limbo one a direct lift of the Reserve feat from CM that lets you Dimension Door short distances but only where you can see, it would be solid. Rather than finishing Ranger to get HiPS, just skip over the space that doesn't have cover :)

Jacob Orlove
2007-04-03, 05:44 PM
it also has a very cool name :smallsmile:

Back to the Hierophant, has anybody taken levels in t before level 20 (when spellcasting progression completely halts however)? Why?
(whatever) 5/Ur-Priest 10/Hierophant 5 is surprisingly good, but that's an extreme corner case.