PDA

View Full Version : Substitutes for Wizards

Brendanicus
2015-01-14, 05:57 PM
Hey, so I want to bring back a Wizard character I made for a new campaign, but both the DM and I came to the conclusion that Wizards truly are as OP as they say.

Are there any alternative classes (aside from Sorcerer. I'll get to that in a moment.) that can cast such spells as Protection from Evil, Summon Monster, and Blindness, that aren't prepared casters?

Summary of the character's traits:

Hates/fears demons to the point that he became and adventurer just to kill them. He started hiring other adventurers to do this for him after he came across enough money to build a big, fancy magical research library.

Very bookish and constantly scrutinizing everyone. Charisma should be a dump stat. Wisdom too as well.

I don't particularly care how "bookish" this class is supposed to be, so any kind of background is nice.

Can you guys help me out here? UMD Rogue/ Beguiler?

ComaVision
2015-01-14, 06:14 PM
Paladin with Sword of the Arcane Order feat? I think that's a very good thematical fit.

Chronos
2015-01-14, 06:17 PM
The Wu Jen is almost exactly like a wizard in its mechanics, except with a much shorter spell list. Is that enough to make it not broken for you?

Forrestfire
2015-01-14, 06:19 PM
Paladin with Sword of the Arcane Order is less of a spellcaster and more of a fighter, though (and it only comes online at level 6). In such a case, Mystic Ranger with Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders) might even work a bit better (possibly with the Solitary Hunting ACF from Dragon 347; it swaps animal companion for Favored Enemy bonus adding to attack rolls as well).

Although... Have you considered welding the Bard progression to the wizard (possibly with 1st-level spells at level 1) and calling it a day? It seems like a decent enough way to limit wizard power while still keeping in theme with what it is.

ComaVision
2015-01-14, 06:20 PM
Although... Have you considered welding the Bard progression to the wizard (possibly with 1st-level spells at level 1) and calling it a day? It seems like a decent enough way to limit wizard power while still keeping in theme with what it is.

Because I like RAW...

Divine Bard ACF from UA with the Academic Priest feat from Dragonlance?

EDIT: This is also spontaneous rather than being prepared like a Sword of the Arcane Order is.

Doc_Maynot
2015-01-14, 06:24 PM
Have you considered Archivist, but not inscribing scrolls into your prayer book outside of the Cleric list?

nedz
2015-01-14, 06:41 PM
Beguiler with some Arcane Disciple feats can open these options up

Blindness/Deafness: Corruption or Darkness Domains

Protection from Evil: Exorcism or Good Domains (though other alignements exist in other domains)

Summon Monster is harder
I: Portal Domain
VI: Storm Domain
IX: Chaos, Evil, Good or Law Domains
I, II, III, V and VII: Summoner Domain

Though SNA with Spontaneous Summoner is a better bet since several domains offer this.

Beguilers also get
Blinding Color Surge (2), Glitterdust (2) and Power Word Blind (7) which offer blindness

You could pull this trick with Dread Necromancer or Warmage also.

JaminDM
2015-01-14, 07:07 PM
Psion?
Wu Jen?
Warmage?
All of the above?

Barbarian Horde
2015-01-14, 09:05 PM
I think Beguiler stated as above would be an excellent choice.

Fable Wright
2015-01-14, 09:18 PM
Hm. I like Factotum as my default tier 3 Wizard substitute when I ban tier 1+2 classes from my games, and in some ways it fits your requirements well.

It's technically not a 'prepared' caster, only getting a handful of spells to cast throughout the day, and can cast just about any spell you need him to. He can also dump Wis without dumping his saving throw, and while Cha can be useful if you build around it (Imperious Command), it's not required. Factotum also has Cunning Breach, which was practically made as an anti-demon feature, particularly with Cunning Surge. An Eternal Wand/Schema for more uses of Protection From Evil, or perhaps Echoing Spell, might be handy to get more uses of Protection from Evil or perhaps Blindness, but other than that, it fits your requirements well.

It also supports a very bookish background.