PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Crafting Clockwork horrors

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-01-14, 06:28 PM
Hi i was wondering if its possible to craft Clockwork horrors and what would the crafting cost be. also is there a formula for determining price of crafting a construct.

hamishspence
2015-01-14, 06:39 PM
Crafting cost is a function of market price:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#craftConstruct

However, as I recall, MM2 has no market price for any of the Horrors, or list of spells needed to construct one.

I think they're more like Inevitables or Modrons - they're a faction in themselves- rather than servants of anybody.

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-01-14, 07:10 PM
I looked at the Inevitables and Modrons, Inevitables are constructs and Modrons are only considered constructs in 5th edition. both of course don't list prices but you would think that since their constructs that they could be crafted like other constructs.

Afgncaap5
2015-01-14, 07:35 PM
I looked at the Inevitables and Modrons, Inevitables are constructs and Modrons are only considered constructs in 5th edition. both of course don't list prices but you would think that since their constructs that they could be crafted like other constructs.

Well, remember that creature type is often more a function of what a monster appears to be more than what a monster's origins are. "Construct" in 3rd edition means that it's a creature comprised of non-living material. This can range from highly-crafted robots with lots of moving parts to lumps of material that are animated like golems to mundane items that have been given a semblance of life like Carpet from Disney's Aladdin (or the servants from Beauty and the Beast, though they'd follow some different rules.)

Things like Inevitables are brought about as a function of reality, and nature's sense of justice (or at least Mechanus' sense of justice.) Modrons are similar in that regard (I think they actually became listed as Living Constructs in third edition, some issue of Dragon Magazine talked about using them in that way.)

Clockwork Horrors in that sense would be entities that were probably originally created by something or someone, but they seem to have no leaders now apart from themselves. In this sense they're sort of like an artifact... we logically know it's possible to make them, but the secrets of designing them are lost. Trying to make one would be a bit like trying to make a Chuul; we know it's a being that was created, but there's no RAW way to make one.

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-01-14, 07:52 PM
okay so they there is no raw way of making one. but if it was possible what would you guys think would be a fair prices and what spells would be required. i might be able to convince my dm to allow homebrew rules to craft them.

Crake
2015-01-14, 08:13 PM
okay so they there is no raw way of making one. but if it was possible what would you guys think would be a fair prices and what spells would be required. i might be able to convince my dm to allow homebrew rules to craft them.

Well, I'd say that at the very least you would need to be able to cast the spells that they can cast as SLAs, so no adamantine horrors until 17th level.

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-01-15, 01:02 PM
so this would mean that if i could craft clockwork horrors, i could craft the Electrum Horror as soon as i got craft construct since they don't have any spell like abilities, right.