PDA

View Full Version : Killing Intelligent Items

mercury19
2015-01-14, 07:23 PM
So I'm playing in a Way of the Wicked campaign, and one of the players is annoying me, and a few other people besides.

Basically, this players first character was killed by a player who came late to the party. He came back as an intelligent item. It's an adamantium sniper/scythe combo, with energy resistance 20 to fire cold and electricity, 120 HP, all three mental stats over 20. He has the ability to use fireball a few times a day, the capability to dominate the mind of whoever wields him, and he can cast true resurrect on his owner once a month.

Both me and the player who's character is going to wield the weapon want it dead. Partially because I can't stand the player, but also because the weapon is supposed to a weapon from an earlier campaign, called Sanguine Cross. It was indeed a sniper rifle/scythe combo, but it was not intelligent, and fit that campaign, which was high on comedy, much better. The other problem is that the intended owner has wisdom SCORE of 2. Not modifier, score. So the weapon can control that player basically whenever he wants.

SO I have two options to kill it. one is, because we are evil, I can fudge a reason for wanting it dead. Not hard, considering my character is the only one who might be able to resist the mind control powers, and would resent the control the gun might have. especially since its a GUN. But I didn't optimize very well. We are at sixth level, which is where we started. I am a Half Fiend Duergar with 2 levels of martial artist and 2 levels of barbarian. I don't think Ill be able to do anything against the new guy anytime soon.

My other option is to create an opposing character who can kill the gun easily. As a part of the campaign, the DM asked us to create good characters for an opposing party. His request was that we bring back a character from another campaign, just to make it interesting. I am bringing back my favorite character. He was a human ranger who was dang good with a bow, but was killed by vampires. My idea is either that he came back as a vampire, but couldn't shake off his good side, or that a celestial being blessed him with renewed life to become a crusader for good. In the first method, he gets the Vampire monster template. In the second, the Celestial blessed one. I don't have the original character sheet, so I'm just plain restating him. His base race has to be human, and he has to be human. I get I think 46,000 gold to start and the character is level 9. With a template, this means the character gets 8 character levels. Also I'me pretty sure the stats will be rolled, 4d6 drop the lowest. Last but not least, this is the pathfinder system and I only have access to material available on the pfsrd.

I will also be discussing the problems I see with the DM, so the situation may change. In the mean time, any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

If I missed someting or something is unclear, please ask. I want to get this posted today, but I won't need the character for another week or two.

Threadnaught
2015-01-14, 07:41 PM
It's a powerful Magic Item with an agenda of it's own and the ability to turn any poor schmuck into death incarnate under it's complete and total control, in order to further its goals.

That's enough reason for an Evil character to want it broken. All of the above, AND the fact that it's an Evil Item are good for Good characters.

Best way to break it of course is to separate it from it's wielder and smash it while it's mostly defenceless.

Doc_Maynot
2015-01-14, 07:43 PM
Find a wizard, pay him to cast disjuction on the thing?

Blackhawk748
2015-01-14, 07:52 PM
Im gonna say bring this up OOC, though making a Good character who is hunting this thing is entirely reasonable, give him Shatterspike and Imp Sunder, just be sure to make Shatterspike Adamatine.

Almarck
2015-01-14, 08:03 PM
You may want to give us the full story. I mean, just why is this guy being allowed to have a character that's clearly over budgeted relative to everyone's level?

Crake
2015-01-14, 08:20 PM
Doesn't the level 1 spell protection from evil stop people from being mind controlled by dominate effects? Just get a permanent item of that, they only cost like 4000gp

If you're instead referring to the ego battle, then just dont wield the damn thing. It would be perfectly in character for him to say "well **** that" to a magic item that can control him. Hell don't even need to destroy the thing, just bury it in a ditch by the side of the road and move on with your day.

Coidzor
2015-01-14, 08:40 PM
If you have a problem with the DM allowing people to play as Intelligent Magic Items, you need to take it up with them OOC.

If you have a problem with the player themselves, you need to work it out between yourselves directly rather than taking out your feud on the game.

Yes, I know, it's an Evil CampaignTM, but that's not actually carte blanche to be horrid to one another.

Seerow
2015-01-14, 08:46 PM
If you have a problem with the DM allowing people to play as Intelligent Magic Items, you need to take it up with them OOC.

If you have a problem with the player themselves, you need to work it out between yourselves directly rather than taking out your feud on the game.

Yes, I know, it's an Evil CampaignTM, but that's not actually carte blanche to be horrid to one another.

I'd say once you get to the point where one PC is dominating another PC, pretty much any other options you want to take a pretty much A OK. I would much rather have a character die than get permanently dominated. At least if my character is dead I can amuse myself making a new character while everyone goes on about their business.

Threadnaught
2015-01-14, 08:50 PM
Hell don't even need to destroy the thing, just bury it in a ditch by the side of the road and move on with your day.

If they do that, any random schuck passing by could find it and be under the Item's control. Better to drop it into a pit of concentrated acid or something and guard it for a week.

Coidzor
2015-01-14, 08:54 PM
I'd say once you get to the point where one PC is dominating another PC, pretty much any other options you want to take a pretty much A OK. I would much rather have a character die than get permanently dominated. At least if my character is dead I can amuse myself making a new character while everyone goes on about their business.

Let's be real here, if we're going to have the gaming group break down into Lord of the Flies because the DM has stopped doing their job, it's going to spill over into meatspace.

I'd prefer to not have the game devolve into Lord of the Flies, but if it does, I'm not going to be the kid that gets murdered and then eaten by the others.

And I view what the OP has said so far as an almost certain sign that something has broken down in this game.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-14, 08:55 PM
If they do that, any random schuck passing by could find it and be under the Item's control. Better to drop it into a pit of concentrated acid or something and guard it for a week.

Volcano. Mt Doom this *****

mercury19
2015-01-15, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the fast replies.

You guys are right, I'll bring it up with the people as soon as I can.

Part of the problem is that the player of the gun is a "compulsive optimizer". He creates characters for fun, which I can't argue with, but he creates characters to optimize, not to create "characters", if you know what I mean. Which is something that I take issue with, and so does the DM. We had a very thorough discussion about this one day. So regardless of the character created, it tends to come out a notch above the rest of the party, and not quite as interesting.

Another part of the problem is that it seems everyone in the group is just "too nice" to say no to the guy. Every single one of us. Every time I decide to say something to him, we have a decent discussion so I have nothing to complain about. Awful coincidence. But I have to say something this time, both to the player and the over-accepting DM.

The third part of the problem is personal, because the guy is really smart, rich, and excessively arrogant. And overly intrusive. I have two hours of classes with him every morning, one of which is just us two. He spends entire days going on about DnD. Some times it's cool class combos, often it's how powerful his character is. And He has no idea when to stop, well, anything. If I pointedly ignore him, he talks to me until I respond. And then the same thing happens as above, whenever I think to talk to him about it. A part of this part of the problem is that he role plays characters as himself, and readily admits it. He plays characters with high intelligence who are completely stuffed up about it.

I have mostly come to terms with his compulsive optimizing and annoying character, but this whole intelligent item thing went to far. I'll talk to both of them and see what happens. I have officially established the problem as an overly lenient DM. If talking doesn't resolve it, then I'll come back here for help with the good character.

Thank you kindly for glancing at my excessive ranting, I guess I really just needed to rant to someone about it.

Crake
2015-01-15, 02:25 AM

Only if they happen to dig up the exact right spot to find the thing. And really, it's an evil campaign, do the players really care about some random shmuck?

NNescio
2015-01-15, 02:44 AM
Put item in bag of holding.
Place bag of holding in portable hole (preferably by dropping form a height, or by using arrow shenanigans)

Now it's somebody else's problem on the Astral Plane.

Deophaun
2015-01-15, 04:04 AM
Only if they happen to dig up the exact right spot to find the thing. And really, it's an evil campaign, do the players really care about some random shmuck?
When the random shmuck gets possessed by an overpowered scorned death machine out for revenge they will.

But yes, talk OOC. Taking over another player's active character is just not acceptable.