PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help with piecing a character together.

CIDE
2015-01-14, 09:01 PM
Alright! This is going to be something of a first for me. I want to optimize a wizard.

I've played Wizards before but I've never tried pushing it to its (non Pun-Pun) limits before. With this character though I don't want them to outright appear broken and over powered at a glance. Granted, the second part wouldn't be hard considering the group I'd be presenting the character to and the lack of magical tinkering they use.

So, here it is:

Anything in D&D 3.5 (maybe even 3.0) is allowed. Even Dragon Magazine
We'll assume level 1 starting but going for a 1-20 character. Epic will be dealt with later
2 flaws at character creation
I'd like to include Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil and Incantatrix PrC's into the build
Not trying to show off crafting skills except maybe Conginent spells
Leadership will be taken ASAP and will be a character playable by me. NPC classes only for the lower followers.
May have restricted access to gaining new spells so may require tricks to pick some up. Possibly from Cohort/followers. Same for magic gear.
Trying to avoid any and all homebrew.
I'd like to try for an unsuspecting race. Something basic like a human, elf variant, etc.

So, what feats do you guys think I should take at which levels, gear to try to pick up (or have made), etc?

Part of this is also a test. A lot of these guys mix other D20 systems in and don't feal standard 3.5 can keep up.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit:

I should also elaborate on exactly how I want to play the character. I wanted to rock the Wedded to history feat and given his somewhat unique take on modern society kind of takes a step back. He watches more than fights and much of what he'd do is there to keep him out of combat, stop the other person/thing/etc from being able to fight, and doing the same with allies. Of course if push comes to shove I do want the character to be able to wreck someone's day but for the most part he shouldn't have to.

Obviously Abrupt Jaunt is considered. Is it worth the specialization for that when I've heard how much better generalist wizards are?