PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Chain of eyes and spell targeting

Atypical_Necro
2015-01-14, 10:06 PM
I've been trying to think of interesting or different uses for spells lately and I was wondering if this would work.

Let's pretend I'm a wizard and I've decided I'd like to use one of the fog spells to hide from my enemies. If I had cast chain of eyes on my party fighter, would I be able to target creatures he can see with my spells from the relative safety of my fog?

In other words, is it necessary for me to see the targets through my own eyes or is simply knowing their location (by seeing them through an ally's eyes) enough?

mvpmack
2015-01-14, 10:21 PM
You still need line of effect in most cases. If you're completely behind cover, you can't cast most spells. If you use obscuring mist or fog cloud or something that blocks line of sight but not line of effect, things are a bit murky since there's no clear RAW as to how seeing out of a third party such as a familiar affects it.

Targeted spells that do not require attack rolls should work perfectly, and even ranged attacks would be allowed at many tables, since you can see your target. However, I personally would not allow making ranged attack rolls through another character's sight at my table (same as target having concealment, at least), since in real life you need a clear aiming plane in order to determine where to point the attack.

holywhippet
2015-01-14, 11:44 PM
I might consider it as being like the nanite based team work in Metal Gear: Guns of the Patriots. The squad was able to link up and be aware of what each other could see.

However, the spell description indicates you can just see through the eyes of your target. It doesn't give you any spatial awareness regarding the target. So just because you they can see an enemy, it doesn't mean you know where the enemy is relative to you if you don't know where the target is relative to you.

Deophaun
2015-01-15, 03:32 AM
However, the spell description indicates you can just see through the eyes of your target. It doesn't give you any spatial awareness regarding the target.
Fortunately, spatial awareness is nowhere listed as one of the things needed to target an enemy.

goto124
2015-01-15, 03:39 AM
Fortunately, spatial awareness is nowhere listed as one of the things needed to target an enemy.

It may not be listed, but how do you know to shoot North or North-West? To be fair, you could make use of landmarks (e.g. buildings) to help you. Still, it's less accurate than having a clear line-of-sight. We could try this IRL :smallwink:

Realism is less important than balancing game mechanics however. Would allowing accurate aiming through a 3rd party be overpowered?

Deophaun
2015-01-15, 03:54 AM
We could try this IRL :smallwink:
Deal. Just let me figure out how to cast fireball first and I'll join you on the range. :smalltongue:

Realism is less important than balancing game mechanics however. Would allowing accurate aiming through a 3rd party be overpowered?
If you're casting directly, no. There is still LoE to you, and for a lot of spells you'll be taking a -20 to Hide, and the enemies can probably hear you casting. It will take a good chunk of resources to keep you safe.

If, however, you are casting through something like a spectral hand, that can get unreasonably awesome.

fishyfishyfishy
2015-01-15, 08:53 AM
I would allow the attack roll to be made but have a 50% miss chance. The spell allows you to determine their location but it's not like you're standing there yourself. Area effects would not be hindered because you don't really have to aim them.