PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Treasure giving

Smorgonoffz
2015-01-15, 04:33 AM
It's my first time Dming and i made a small dungeon challenge that will bring the pc from level 3 to level 5, i will give them all the gold/gem of the encounters combine at once.
The thing is that i won't give them anything more magical than a + sword/armor/ring, so for loot distribution:

before that group composition:

Dwarf-Warlock

Goliath-Monk(since people can't be bothered to read and too headtrong), he has the goliath size applied to unarmed attacks

Sorcerer/spellthief (optimized in damage with rays)

Kobold-Mascot

Halfling-spellthief

Also since they've met different creatures of different CR(1,4,3,5):
1) should i roll for each table?
2)combine the different cr and roll on that table?

The group will get money from their employer (2000gp group share) plus some extra (500gp each)
-treasure/gold / gem from the various CR
-treasure i already decuded is there:

100 Platinum coins
500 GP
1000 SP
2000 CP

15 potions of cure moderate wounds

Plus one tailored magic item for PC.

Ps: each monetary value must be divide per 5(pc+npc)

Also i'm being to generous or too stingy?

Kanthalion
2015-01-15, 04:57 AM
I'm at work right now, so I can't really be arsed to do the math, but for all its shortcomings, the WBL table is a good place to start. Especially for a new DM. Figure out the total value of treasure per player and compare it to that to give yourself a general idea. As time goes on and you learn your DM style and your players' play style, you can adapt from there.

Now I'm not sure why you are not planning on letting them have any of their treasure till the adventure is over, but you might want to reconsider that for several reasons:

1) the CRs assume that a party of a particular level is going to have equipment connsumate with their WBL. Remember, stats don't change much in 3.5, so a lot of the increase in a character's power comes from the improving equipment.

2) Soon as the party gets to a decent sized town/city they're gonna sell what they don't want and buy what they want. One of the fun things about being a DM is giving them some item they may not think they want or need and seeing what they do with it. In my current campaign, I gave the dwarven barbarian boots of charging. He still claims to hate them, but he makes good, often battle turning use of them multiple times a session.

3) it's just fun for the players to get rewards throughout the adventure for beating the smaller challenges. XP is indeed a reward, but they can't hold it in their hands. And some players really enjoy keeping track of stuff like that too.

So that's my two coppers.

Smorgonoffz
2015-01-15, 05:58 AM
@Kanthalion

1) they're in a tower/dungeon:

a)the first monster they met is the "doorman" an undead bloodhulk
b) the second a carnex
c) a summoned creature

my thought is between the encounters they'll find some loot to help them, but the end rewards will be in the final room.(aka: why did the wizard give items to constructs? aka, where di he hid that loot?)

2) i agree, i'm going to give them useful items (everlasting rations, ewards haypack, magical bedroll etc), money(plat/gold etc), random junk worth gold....................and as always potions.

3) in that group no one likes keeping track of stuff, also they don't get exp per encounter they just level after some time.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

Kanthalion
2015-01-15, 06:39 AM
1) they're in a tower/dungeon:

a)the first monster they met is the "doorman" an undead bloodhulk
b) the second a carnex
c) a summoned creature

my thought is between the encounters they'll find some loot to help them, but the end rewards will be in the final room.(aka: why did the wizard give items to constructs? aka, where di he hid that loot?

Fair enough. In that context it makes more sense. So based on the numbers you already gave, you are so far looking at 2744 gp of wealth each. According to WBL, at 5 they should have about 9000 gp in gold, treasure, and equipment. That should at least give you a starting point. As far as rolling on the treasure tables, I love that ****. I will usually roll on the appropriate table and then maybe tweek it a little. But I know other DMs who prefer to hand select everything. It is just what you want.

atemu1234
2015-01-15, 08:26 AM
I've noticed you have a Dwarf Warlock. Please, please, please tell me it is a Gold Dwarf. Because charisma is needed.

NNescio
2015-01-15, 08:35 AM
I've noticed you have a Dwarf Warlock. Please, please, please tell me it is a Gold Dwarf. Because charisma is needed.

Eh, Warlocks are pretty much NAD. That can function even with all 3s.

Smorgonoffz
2015-01-15, 08:47 AM

About the dwarf:

1) the character was borne out of a dare
2) he's a phb dwarf
3) he has the flaw that gives -4 to listen
4) his player named it Trilly

ericgrau
2015-01-15, 09:50 AM
Yeah just check WBL. As long as the players get enough gold and a place to shop it should be fine. Roughly include the tailored items in the WBL, or count them as slightly less because what you had in mind might not exactly match the players' builds.

I like lots of tiny random magical trinkets too though it takes longer to generate them and pass them out. Scrolls and alchemical items too. Whatever low level cheap stuff. You never know what oddball things players will do with these. It could be good to look at MiC for more variety, plus MiC has the DMG items listed together with its items in the back. While many of these items will get used in clever ways, more might be sold so you may want to count them as closer to half value for wbl estimates.

Andezzar
2015-01-15, 09:58 AM
I've noticed you have a Dwarf Warlock. Please, please, please tell me it is a Gold Dwarf. Because charisma is needed.It depends on the invocation he plans to use. Many don't allow a save so the bonus from CHA is irrelvant.