PDA

View Full Version : Creative uses of Thaumaturgy

Scampowl
2015-01-15, 04:57 AM
I just read a post about creative uses of prestidigitation, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions for creative uses of thaumaturgy?

Yorrin
2015-01-15, 08:57 AM
The main one I'm familiar with is using the "open unlocked doors" to check for traps in some situations.

Nareton
2015-01-15, 09:30 AM
Thaumaturgy is GREAT! Aside from the numerous RP applications, it also has practical effects, too. For example:

I just started a campaign as a lvl 1 Cleric of Moradin and was mysteriously transferred to a 10-by-10 ft. cell with stone walls all around without any light inside or easy way to find the hidden door/exit.

As it is cast at will, I used the Cantrip continuously to create tremors so that loose stones from the wall would show anything out of order (I am playing a Dwarf), to heighten my voice and ask around if my teammates were nearby, and to enhance any flames around the cell, but too weak for me to already see (it was a long shot as I was supposedly surrounded by thick walls, but it paid off).

At some point, the party's Dragonborn fighter woke up and wanted to see around his cell (no darkvision), so he used his fire breath, which was within my spell's range and so I was able to see he was in an adjacent room (walls were much thinner than I initially thought).

Due to my booming voice and the fire effect, we synched our efforts and found the secret door. The DM found the tremors to be a good idea, but practically did not assist.

Without the cantrip, we would still be there stuck...

Scampowl
2015-01-15, 11:39 AM
Good story!
Me likey!

Aramis Rhett
2015-01-15, 11:50 AM
Let's say you are trapped and restrained in a chair for questioning. Cause tremors. Make ominous whispers behind and around your captors. Make your eyes black with the appearance of smoke oozing out of them, cascading down your cheeks. Make your voice boom, and start speaking "gibberish". Hopefully your captors will soil themselves thinking you are being possessed right before their eyes.

Inevitability
2015-01-15, 01:14 PM
Thaumaturgy is GREAT! Aside from the numerous RP applications, it also has practical effects, too. For example:

I just started a campaign as a lvl 1 Cleric of Moradin and was mysteriously transferred to a 10-by-10 ft. cell with stone walls all around without any light inside or easy way to find the hidden door/exit.

As it is cast at will, I used the Cantrip continuously to create tremors so that loose stones from the wall would show anything out of order (I am playing a Dwarf), to heighten my voice and ask around if my teammates were nearby, and to enhance any flames around the cell, but too weak for me to already see (it was a long shot as I was supposedly surrounded by thick walls, but it paid off).

At some point, the party's Dragonborn fighter woke up and wanted to see around his cell (no darkvision), so he used his fire breath, which was within my spell's range and so I was able to see he was in an adjacent room (walls were much thinner than I initially thought).

Due to my booming voice and the fire effect, we synched our efforts and found the secret door. The DM found the tremors to be a good idea, but practically did not assist.

Without the cantrip, we would still be there stuck...

Don't dwarves have darkvision? :smallconfused:

Nareton
2015-01-16, 10:49 AM
Don't dwarves have darkvision? :smallconfused:

Yes they do. And in 5e they get Low Light Vision, too :smallsmile: I could see fine inside my cell, but the Dragonborn could not in his, so he used the fire breath to see.

In terms of the light enhancing effect, I thought that perhaps there were any torches or other sources of light outside the cell that would normally be too weak to show around the edges of a closed door, but would show if I enhanced them, or too weak to show behind an illusion but would penetrate it if enhanced. I just left it to the DM to tell me if it worked.

Hypersmith
2017-06-07, 08:38 PM
One of my favorite uses is changing a PCs eyes to make them look blind. Let's you get away with some minor stuff.

Jerrykhor
2017-06-07, 09:06 PM
Pretend to be more powerful than you really are can be quite fun, whether its to frighten some pesky peasants or intimidate some thugs. Make your eyes glow bright red and without pupil, make your voice 3 times louder, and make some tremors at the ground beneath your targets, and you have a seemingly larger than life persona. Combine with Minor Illusion to create some ghastly stuff, make some thunder sounds, or throw your voice around so that it sounds like they are in a surround sound theater. You might even convince them you are a god haha.