PDA

View Full Version : Same Size Mount Feat

Yogibear41
2015-01-15, 09:18 AM
Is there a feat that allows you to use a creature that is the same size category as you for a mount? For example an orc or hobgoblin (both medium) using a Worg (medium) as a mount?

Curmudgeon
2015-01-15, 09:25 AM
The only way I know to make this work is if you're Large size already and you cast Phantom Steed.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-15, 09:27 AM
I seem to remember a feat for that in one of the Dragonlance books. Powerful Mount or something like that. Can't remember which book though.

Urpriest
2015-01-15, 09:39 AM
I seem to remember a feat for that in one of the Dragonlance books. Powerful Mount or something like that. Can't remember which book though.

I think there's something in Pathfinder too. Nothing in first party 3.5 though, you'll have to stick with the sorts of mounts that orcs and hobgoblins ride in 3.5 fluff, and stick worgs with their typical 3.5 riders, goblins.

goto124
2015-01-15, 10:08 AM
What's the purpose of this feat, by the way? (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4FBKsOPQdeg/ThvT6C1PByI/AAAAAAAAAEA/ZS0-gtucIfA/s320/spearow-fly.jpg)

shaikujin
2015-01-15, 10:57 AM
The feat I know of that does this is Mighty Steed, from Bestiary of Krynn, Pg 36.

Mount is considered 1 size larger for the purpose of carrying capacity as well as size of riders.

Mr Adventurer
2015-01-15, 01:43 PM
You can also fux around with the monsters. Can you advance Worgs until they are Large? How about using Dire Wolves instead? If you want to keep them above animal intelligence, how about the Fiendish template?

Mr Adventurer
2015-01-15, 01:46 PM
If you want to keep it low powered, a normal Wolf advanced to 4 HD is Large.

Baroknik
2015-01-15, 02:02 PM
Would a kobold's slight build work for this?

Raul Lećo
2015-01-15, 02:04 PM
Its something about the DM too

Dain Ironfoot uses a boar as mount (both are medium size)

Since im a dwarf too, i asked my DM to allow it so i can enter dungeons and stuff. He allowed...

Maybe a muscular medium animal can carry an orc.

Urpriest
2015-01-15, 02:05 PM
You can also fux around with the monsters. Can you advance Worgs until they are Large? How about using Dire Wolves instead? If you want to keep them above animal intelligence, how about the Fiendish template?

Dire Wolves at least are canonically used as mounts by Hobgoblins, as per their Organization entry.

Would a kobold's slight build work for this?

Not an opposed check, so no.

Yogibear41
2015-01-15, 03:53 PM
What's the purpose of this feat, by the way? (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4FBKsOPQdeg/ThvT6C1PByI/AAAAAAAAAEA/ZS0-gtucIfA/s320/spearow-fly.jpg)

I want Hobgoblins to ride Worgs at low levels of play.

That Dragonlance feat sounds good will work well.

Curmudgeon
2015-01-15, 04:48 PM
That Dragonlance feat sounds good will work well.
It's only for Dragonlance, not D&D, though.

Ssalarn
2015-01-15, 05:10 PM
Pathfinder has the Undersized Mount feat from the Advanced Class Guide, but not I'm not aware of a 3.5 parallel.

Yogibear41
2015-01-15, 05:21 PM

Dragonlance isn't dnd? Which Dragonlance book is it in?

Curmudgeon
2015-01-15, 06:28 PM
Dragonlance isn't dnd? Which Dragonlance book is it in?
Only the first book (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) is D&D-compatible. This feat (Mighty Steed) isn't in that book; it's in Bestiary of Krynn. In the Revised edition of the book Mighty Steed is on page 38, and it's designed for the Dragonrider prestige class to let them ride their Dragon cohorts.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-15, 06:50 PM
Only the first book (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) is D&D-compatible. This feat (Mighty Steed) isn't in that book; it's in Bestiary of Krynn. In the Revised edition of the book Mighty Steed is on page 38, and it's designed for the Dragonrider prestige class to let them ride their Dragon cohorts.

It's plenty compatible. It just isn't first party.

Curmudgeon
2015-01-15, 06:58 PM
It's plenty compatible. It just isn't first party.
It's for a different game system. They use the same mechanics (d20 system), but WotC says it's not the same game.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-15, 07:04 PM
It's for a different game system. They use the same mechanics (d20 system), but WotC says it's not the same game.

WotC says a lot of things, its D20 fantasy so its pretty much 3rd party DnD. Its totally compatible so go nuts

Ssalarn
2015-01-15, 07:15 PM
WotC says a lot of things, its D20 fantasy so its pretty much 3rd party DnD. Its totally compatible so go nuts

Although from that perspective, the Pathfinder "Undersized Mount" feat is just as compatible and probably easier to reference since it's on the SRD :smalltongue:

Blackhawk748
2015-01-15, 07:19 PM
Although from that perspective, the Pathfinder "Undersized Mount" feat is just as compatible and probably easier to reference since it's on the SRD :smalltongue:

It is compatible isnt it? :smallwink: As an aside i once heard that PF was originally just a campaign setting with a ton of houserules for DnD, it didnt become a different game until later, thus why most of it is back portable.

Thurbane
2015-01-16, 06:37 AM

Yes, otherwise the WotC enforcer division will batter down your door for mixing systems. :smallsigh:

Psyren
2015-01-16, 08:13 AM
It is compatible isnt it? :smallwink: As an aside i once heard that PF was originally just a campaign setting with a ton of houserules for DnD, it didnt become a different game until later, thus why most of it is back portable.

Indeed it was, back when Paizo were just the guys publishing Dragon Magazine for WotC. Golarion was originally a 3.5 campaign setting until 4e came along and they decided to break ranks rather than jump ship.

Speaking of reference: Undersized Mount (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/undersized-mount-combat)