PDA

View Full Version : Ask Me Anything, Giving away advice.

Alucard2099
2015-01-15, 11:40 AM
Here is my honest problem... I'm at work, My job requires me to do very little actual work. I normally play D&D over roll20.net with my coworkers.
This week, however, the big wigs from head office are in and we can't go on the site. Thus I'm bored out of my mind. I have been trying to find ways to pass the time so I have been reading my 5E PHB DMG and MM.

Because of this, I am going to sound like a real ass to some of you...

I am the godly DM! ASK ME ANYTHING!

Glarnog
2015-01-15, 11:51 AM
Sure see my seperate post asking how PCs can create constucts. Flying Swords, Animated Armor, Helmed Horrors and most importantly Shield Guardians.

Also how would a PC take control of already crafted Flying Swords, Animated Armor, Helemed Horrors and Golems?

Alucard2099
2015-01-15, 11:55 AM
Sure see my seperate post asking how PCs can create constucts. Flying Swords, Animated Armor, Helmed Horrors and most importantly Shield Guardians.

Also how would a PC take control of already crafted Flying Swords, Animated Armor, Helemed Horrors and Golems?

Can you provide me with the link to your post? Simply so I can have more specific information.

Alucard2099
2015-01-15, 12:08 PM

For Golems...
MANUAL OF GOLEMS
Wondrous item, very rare
This tome contains information and incantations
necessary to make a particular type of golem. The DM
chooses the type or determines it randomly. To deciph
and use the manual, you must be a spellcaster with at
least two 5th-level spell slots. A creature that can't use
a manual of golems and attempts to read it takes 6d6
psychic damage.
d20 Golem Time Cost
1-5 Clay 30 days 65 ,000 gp
6-17 Flesh 60 days 50,000 gp
18 Iron 120 days 100,000 gp
19-20 Stone 90 days 80,000 gp
To create a golem, you must spend the time shown on
the table, working without interruption with the manual
at hand and resting no more than 8 hours per day. You
must also pay the specified cost to purchase supplies.
Once you finish creating the golem, the book is
consumed in eldritch flames. The golem becomes
animate when the ashes of the manual are sprinkled on
it. It is under your control, and it understands and obeys
your spoken commands. See the Monster Manual for its
game statistics.

For flying swords and animated armor can be created by casting the animate objects spell. However they cannot change control from NPC to PC.
The Helmed horror would just be a very high level cast of Animate Object. If the creator becomes incapacitated, so does the Horror.

When it comes to a Shield Guardian...

"SHIELD GUARDIAN
Wizards and other spell casters create shield guardians
for protection. A shield guardian treads beside its
master, absorbing damage to keep its master alive as
long as possible.
Master's Amulet. Every shield guardian has an
amulet magically linked to it. A shield guardian can
have only one corresponding amulet, and if that amulet
is destroyed, the shield guardian is incapacitated until
a replacement amulet is created. A shield guardian's
amulet is subject to direct attack if it isn't being worn
or carried. It has AC 10, 10 hit points, and immunity to
poison and psychic damage. Crafting an amulet requires
1 week and costs 1,000 gp in components."

Alucard2099
2015-01-15, 04:46 PM
Is there anyone else who might have an issue I could possible assist with>

Felvion
2015-01-15, 06:44 PM
Is there anyone else who might have an issue I could possible assist with>

What are your thoughts on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393163-Rod-of-the-pact-keeper-question) ?

Alucard2099
2015-01-16, 08:57 AM
What are your thoughts on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393163-Rod-of-the-pact-keeper-question) ?

I would go with, you can keep your concentration up in the back of your mind and think about other things, just no too hard.

In regards to using the rod while concentrating... using the rod doesn't take concentration so I would allow this.

And yes, the spell slot is used up at the casting of the spell... not the end.

That's how. Haha

IndirectLemon
2015-01-16, 09:23 AM
Here is my honest problem... I'm at work, My job requires me to do very little actual work. I normally play D&D over roll20.net with my coworkers.
ASK ME ANYTHING!

Where do you work / got any jobs going?

MadGrady
2015-01-16, 09:56 AM
Any way I can get a table of the sailing ship statistics from ocean type campaign sections? I have a pirate game Im planning, but no access to my DMG while at work :(

Alucard2099
2015-01-16, 12:13 PM
Any way I can get a table of the sailing ship statistics from ocean type campaign sections? I have a pirate game Im planning, but no access to my DMG while at work :(

What specific information will you need, I can't figure out a way to copy in a table.

korvanos
2015-01-16, 12:43 PM
I am the godly DM! ASK ME ANYTHING!

Do you do anything special to make new players feel useful and welcome, even when they don't really know what they're doing?

Alucard2099
2015-01-16, 12:47 PM
Do you do anything special to make new players feel useful and welcome, even when they don't really know what they're doing?

All the time!!

I will sit down with a new player and spend 3-5 hours with them trying to figure out what they like to do, how they wanna do it, and making their chars. If you don't put this type of effort into helping your players, then you can't expect them to put that effort into your game. Give a little, get a lot.

I will also have them take the lead on their first adventure, that way then can get a feel for what is going on. I also urge them to ask questions and ask for options and opinions. Anything I can do to make their first few sessions a bit stress free can make a real difference.

Shining Wrath
2015-01-16, 01:22 PM
Potential house rule I've been kicking around in the back of my mind.

Some divination spells (Augury, Contact Other Plane) clearly put you in contact with something that has a mind and is somewhat divine (hence Divination). In my world, deities are neither omniscient nor omnipotent, much less their demigods and lesser hangers-on.

So when you use these spells, there's a possibility that the entity contacted simply doesn't know the answer. I believe that's canon.

1) I'd like to add the idea that the higher the PC level, the more potent the entity contacted, and hence the greater the possibility that they know the information you seek. This doesn't change things very much.

2) I'd like to add the possibility that the entity contacted misleads you. The entity contacted is of your alignment, so a LG character runs a fairly low chance of being actually lied to (although a LG entity is still quite capable of having an agenda they seek to advance through you), where as a CE character is making contact with, e.g., a Babua or a Merilith, who are going to give you the answer that results in maximum bloodshed, chaos, and woe, caring not if the blood shed is yours.

What's your thoughts on this?

The Shadowdove
2015-01-16, 02:33 PM
Know much about forgotten realms orders/novels?

I am looking for information on a certain monk order and how someone might play one from a character / rp perspective

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393348-What-is-how-to-monk-of-long-death&p=18668102#post18668102

Alucard2099
2015-01-16, 02:58 PM
Potential house rule I've been kicking around in the back of my mind.

Some divination spells (Augury, Contact Other Plane) clearly put you in contact with something that has a mind and is somewhat divine (hence Divination). In my world, deities are neither omniscient nor omnipotent, much less their demigods and lesser hangers-on.

So when you use these spells, there's a possibility that the entity contacted simply doesn't know the answer. I believe that's canon.

1) I'd like to add the idea that the higher the PC level, the more potent the entity contacted, and hence the greater the possibility that they know the information you seek. This doesn't change things very much.

2) I'd like to add the possibility that the entity contacted misleads you. The entity contacted is of your alignment, so a LG character runs a fairly low chance of being actually lied to (although a LG entity is still quite capable of having an agenda they seek to advance through you), where as a CE character is making contact with, e.g., a Babua or a Merilith, who are going to give you the answer that results in maximum bloodshed, chaos, and woe, caring not if the blood shed is yours.

What's your thoughts on this?

I think giving them the ability to not know it is wonderful! This makes things more realistic. And as for the lying part. I would wholeheartedly agree and allow it in my game.

Alucard2099
2015-01-16, 03:00 PM
Know much about forgotten realms orders/novels?

I am looking for information on a certain monk order and how someone might play one from a character / rp perspective

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393348-What-is-how-to-monk-of-long-death&p=18668102#post18668102

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Monk_of_the_long_death

I would go with that for any back story...

As for RP, That would be completely up to you. I remember them vaguely from the novels but I couldn't recall any pertinent information.

Glarnog
2015-01-16, 03:50 PM
Learning languages and proficiencies.

Are they only down time activities? How much time in a day do they take? 8 hrs a day for the listed amount of time? Which is like 250 and a gold for each of the 250 days? Or like 3 hours a couple times a week?

Could long term party members teach one another during their breaks? Like long or short rests? Or accrue time towards it on long trips by cart or ship to get to the adventuring?

Nevermind. I see it. Wholy smokes. 8hrs a day for 250 days. That is some intesnsive Training.

Alucard2099
2015-01-16, 03:53 PM
Haha I would go with the languages, yes, proficiencies no.

Here's why...

Languages can be taught a HELL of a lot easier then trying to teach someone to be more observant... Make sense?

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 10:06 AM
Anyone else?

TmasterT
2015-01-19, 10:30 AM
why do warlocks have 9th level spells listed even though they can only get 5th lvl spells according to the warlock chart?? is the chart misprinted?

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 10:46 AM
why do warlocks have 9th level spells listed even though they can only get 5th lvl spells according to the warlock chart?? is the chart misprinted?

No.. This isn't a misprint. The warlock can only learn up to 5th level spells...

The you get Mystic Arcanum.

At 11th level, your patron bestows upon you a magical
secret called an arcanum. Choose one 6th-level spell
from the warlock spell list as this arcanum.
You can cast your arcanum spell once without
expending a spell slot. You must finish a long rest before
you can do so again.
At higher levels, you gain more warlock spells of your
choice that can be cast in this way: one 7th-level spell
at 13th level, one 8th-level spell at 15th level, and one
9th-level spell at 17th level. You regain all uses of your
Mystic A rcanum when you finish a long rest.

Make sense?

TmasterT
2015-01-19, 11:28 AM
yup, was away from book and was asked this by text from a friend, thanks

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 11:32 AM
yup, was away from book and was asked this by text from a friend, thanks

Anytime! I have PHB DMG and MM on me at all times

grub
2015-01-19, 01:17 PM
When I level my Rogue/thief to lvl4, would it make more sense to boost my DEX to 19, or boost DEX to 18 and Con to 16? The other option is a feat like healer (which could be used as my Cunning Action) or Duel Wielder.

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 01:22 PM
When I level my Rogue/thief to lvl4, would it make more sense to boost my DEX to 19, or boost DEX to 18 and Con to 16? The other option is a feat like healer (which could be used as my Cunning Action) or Duel Wielder.

Dex is always a good thing as a Rogue...

However,
What is your play style?

Doomboy911
2015-01-19, 01:41 PM
Hark! Oh he who deem himself mightiest of gods of knowledge, who's might dare test that of Kord himself I beseech thee.

Does polymorphing a vampire protect it from sunlight, furthermore how much coverage does it take for a vampire to be safe from sunlight. Will an umbrella do?

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 02:15 PM
Does polymorphing a vampire protect it from sunlight, furthermore how much coverage does it take for a vampire to be safe from sunlight. Will an umbrella do?

Haha. I would argue that Polymorphing a Vampire would actually be completely up to your DM. If they would allow that polymorph to eliminate the Vampiric curse.

And as for coverage... they would have to have full cover from the sun. So if they are completely out of the sunlight under an umbrella, I would allow it.

Doomboy911
2015-01-19, 02:42 PM
The problem is I'm the dm. I'm trying to decide if coating a vampire in that psionic second skin stuff is appropriate cover.

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 03:01 PM
The problem is I'm the dm. I'm trying to decide if coating a vampire in that psionic second skin stuff is appropriate cover.

Well let's take a look at True Polymorph...

Choose one creature or nonmagical object that you can see within range. You transform the creature into a different creature, the creature into an object, or the object into a creature (the object must be neither worn nor carried by another creature). The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate on this spell for the full
duration, the transformation becomes permanent.
Shapechangers aren’t affected by this spell. An
unwilling creature can make a Wisdom saving throw,
and if it succeeds, it isn’t affected by this spell.
Creature into Creature: If you turn a creature into another kind o f creature, the new form can be any kind you choose whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target’s (or its level, if the target doesn’t have a challenge rating). The target’s game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the new form. It retains its alignment and personality. The target assumes the hit points o f its new form, and when it reverts to its normal form, the creature returns to the number o f hit points it had before it transformed. If it reverts as a result o f dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to its normal form. As long as the excess damage doesn’t reduce the creature’s normal form to 0 hit points, it isn’t knocked unconscious.
The creature is limited in the actions it can perform by
the nature o f its new form, and it can’t speak, cast spells,
or take any other action that requires hands or speech
unless its new form is capable o f such actions.
The target’s gear melds into the new form. The
creature can’t activate, use, wield, or otherwise benefit
from any o f its equipment.

This, to me, Says that it would change the creature away from being a vampire, thus making it be able to walk in sunlight.

Polymorph (not true polymorph) doesn't allow for the supernatural abilities of the new form. This says to me that you would keep your own supernatural abilities, IE vampirism.

That help?

Doomboy911
2015-01-19, 03:16 PM
It actually brings up an interesting idea of curing werewolves and vampires. I mean polymorph any object a vampire into his previous self and he's cured. I mean what's to say I couldn't do this on a dead body.?

Yuukale
2015-01-19, 03:21 PM
which would you prefer taking for a Wizard?

Divination School with Lucky feat or Aburation School?

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 03:24 PM
It actually brings up an interesting idea of curing werewolves and vampires. I mean polymorph any object a vampire into his previous self and he's cured. I mean what's to say I couldn't do this on a dead body.?

A dead body would be considered an object for this spell and...

]Object into Creature[/U]: You can turn an object into any kind of creature, as long as the creature’s size is no larger than the object’s size and the creature’s challenge rating is 9 or lower. The creature is friendly to you and your companions. It acts on each of your turns.
You decide what action it takes and how it moves. The
DM has the creature’s statistics and resolves all of its
actions and movement. If the spell becomes permanent, you no longer control
the creature. It might remain friendly to you, depending
on how you have treated it.

I would allow this to raise the dead, but they would have malice toward the living.

As for a cure for Lycanthropy and Vampirism, I would allow this to cure them.

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 03:30 PM
which would you prefer taking for a Wizard?

Divination School with Lucky feat or Aburation School?

I, myself, would go with Evocation. But given the choice, I would go with the divination. This would allow you to magic the $%#& out of things alot faster.

JFahy
2015-01-19, 05:30 PM
Do you think Fly and Levitate should slowly lower the recipient to the ground when the duration expires, or do you prefer the old versions where it's instant freefall when the spell times out or gets dispelled?

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 05:42 PM
Do you think Fly and Levitate should slowly lower the recipient to the ground when the duration expires, or do you prefer the old versions where it's instant freefall when the spell times out or gets dispelled?

I think that with Fly, you should just fall, but with levitate and similar effects, you should float back down.

Kane0
2015-01-19, 06:12 PM
A new player is entering our ongoing game with a Shadow Monk 6 / Thief Rogue 4. How good does that build stand up, and do you have any recommendations for it?

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 06:35 PM
A new player is entering our ongoing game with a Shadow Monk 6 / Thief Rogue 4. How good does that build stand up, and do you have any recommendations for it?

That would depend on how they would want to play their character. With the monk, they would get some pretty badass abilities using Ki. And the rogue has sneak attack and uncanny dodge and the ability to use dash disengage and hide add bonus actions.

They will find that they don't have a lot off focus right now and might want to follow one path more then the other. What is the rest of the party makeup?

Ohnoeszz
2015-01-19, 06:49 PM
I'm using a Lich as a main character in my homebrew campaign I'm currently designing. He will have eliminated and replaced the king of the realm and is ruling in his stead, using a magical disguise to appear as the former king. He's ruling FAR better than any king before him and the realm is approaching somewhat of a golden age.

The PCs are going to be summoned before this king for a mission on a different plane. No PCs will know he is a Lich to start and they will mostly be interacting with his right hand man - a haughty, self-important wizard beholden to the Lich due to various past actions.

Are there methods of identifying the Lich that I should be aware of?

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any points of reference for a Lich that looks upon humanity with fondness and benevolence?

How should I handle the phylactery of the Lich?

I'm thinking once a month he travels - teleports a great distance and then travels the rest - to the frozen tundra far north with a soul extracted from a man found by the wizard. Once at the hidden location he summons his phylactery from deep within the snow, commences the ritual and departs immediately after.

______
I don't want the Lich to be beholden to any higher power. I want him to be have been a human who unravelled the mysteries of Lichdom through his own studies. I want the rituals that converted him to be alchemical and Arcane in nature without the influence of greater deities or spirits. I want him to have only committed to Lichdom as he saw his own death from age fast approaching and felt he had so much to offer humanity that his lifetime was not sufficient.

With all that being said, any ideas for how to nail down the process he used?

It could be relevant because one PC is going to play a necromancer styled wizard - somewhat of a doctor obsessed with death - and later in the campaign, the secrets of Lichdom could be a juicy reward.

I was thinking that some sort of ichor collected from various beasts and enchanted with particular spells would be vital to the process, along with a list of alchemical ingredients and a recipe....

I'm looking for more ideas and any holes present in the ones I currently have.

Shining Wrath
2015-01-19, 06:51 PM

Can a druid capable of at-will Wildshaping change into a non-vampire or non-werewolf form over and over?

Kane0
2015-01-19, 07:13 PM
That would depend on how they would want to play their character. With the monk, they would get some pretty badass abilities using Ki. And the rogue has sneak attack and uncanny dodge and the ability to use dash disengage and hide add bonus actions.

They will find that they don't have a lot off focus right now and might want to follow one path more then the other. What is the rest of the party makeup?

I'm a Fiend/Tome Warlock 10, damage focus with rituals to boot.
There will be a Venegeance paladin 10, tanky with damage and emergency healing
One guy is thinking of a dex based Eldritch Knight (he's got multiple characters to choose from), probably a bit of everything.
There will also be a Wizard (specialty pending), control and buffs/debuffs

So the Monk/Rogue will be the lock/trap buster and sneaky type, filling in for a player that has left.

grub
2015-01-19, 09:23 PM
Another Question: How mature would a 75 year old High Elf be? My back story has my character exiled at 20 (for stealing from the Dwarves and framing my twin) and living with Gnomes for another 20 years before being kicked out again for stealing. Joining the Thieves Guild and leaving because she wants to turn her life around.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 09:01 AM
I'm using a Lich as a main character in my homebrew campaign I'm currently designing. He will have eliminated and replaced the king of the realm and is ruling in his stead, using a magical disguise to appear as the former king. He's ruling FAR better than any king before him and the realm is approaching somewhat of a golden age.

The PCs are going to be summoned before this king for a mission on a different plane. No PCs will know he is a Lich to start and they will mostly be interacting with his right hand man - a haughty, self-important wizard beholden to the Lich due to various past actions.

Are there methods of identifying the Lich that I should be aware of?

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any points of reference for a Lich that looks upon humanity with fondness and benevolence?

How should I handle the phylactery of the Lich?

I'm thinking once a month he travels - teleports a great distance and then travels the rest - to the frozen tundra far north with a soul extracted from a man found by the wizard. Once at the hidden location he summons his phylactery from deep within the snow, commences the ritual and departs immediately after.

______
I don't want the Lich to be beholden to any higher power. I want him to be have been a human who unravelled the mysteries of Lichdom through his own studies. I want the rituals that converted him to be alchemical and Arcane in nature without the influence of greater deities or spirits. I want him to have only committed to Lichdom as he saw his own death from age fast approaching and felt he had so much to offer humanity that his lifetime was not sufficient.

With all that being said, any ideas for how to nail down the process he used?

It could be relevant because one PC is going to play a necromancer styled wizard - somewhat of a doctor obsessed with death - and later in the campaign, the secrets of Lichdom could be a juicy reward.

I was thinking that some sort of ichor collected from various beasts and enchanted with particular spells would be vital to the process, along with a list of alchemical ingredients and a recipe....

I'm looking for more ideas and any holes present in the ones I currently have.

This is how a Lich is created in 5th...

A phylactery is
traditionally an amulet in the shape of a small box, but
it can take the form of any item possessing an interior
space into which arcane sigils of naming, binding,
immortality, and dark magic are scribed in silver.
With its phylactery prepared, the future lich drinks a
potion of transformation-a vile concoction of poison
mixed with the blood of a sentient creature whose
soul is sacrificed to the phylactery. The wizard falls
dead, then rises as a lich as its soul is drawn into the
phylactery, where it forever remains.

Anything small and easily hidden would work as a Phylactery. I personally would use a small doll or jewelry box.

As for detecting the Lich...

Divine SenseThe presence o f strong evil registers on your senses like
a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly
music in your ears. As an action, you can open your
awareness to detect such forces. Until the end o f your
next turn, you know the location o f any celestial, fiend,
or undead within 60 feet o f you that is not behind total
cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) o f
any being w hose presence you sense, but not its identity
(the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance).
Within the same radius, you also detect the presence
o f any place or object that has been consecrated or
desecrated, as with the hallow spell.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to
1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest,
you regain all expended uses.

This would allow a pally to know it's a lich no matter what. I don't believe there is a way around this. The detect good and evil spell would do this as well.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 09:03 AM
Can a druid capable of at-will Wildshaping change into a non-vampire or non-werewolf form over and over?

Can you be more specific? I mean they can use the ability an unlimited times, so As long as the creature is of the Beast subtype, I would allow this.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 09:04 AM
I'm a Fiend/Tome Warlock 10, damage focus with rituals to boot.
There will be a Venegeance paladin 10, tanky with damage and emergency healing
One guy is thinking of a dex based Eldritch Knight (he's got multiple characters to choose from), probably a bit of everything.
There will also be a Wizard (specialty pending), control and buffs/debuffs

So the Monk/Rogue will be the lock/trap buster and sneaky type, filling in for a player that has left.

As long as your Rogue took more focus on the trap and treasure finding aspect of the rogue, you would be fine. They have the monk to fall back on in combat.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 09:06 AM
Another Question: How mature would a 75 year old High Elf be? My back story has my character exiled at 20 (for stealing from the Dwarves and framing my twin) and living with Gnomes for another 20 years before being kicked out again for stealing. Joining the Thieves Guild and leaving because she wants to turn her life around.

Although elves reach physical maturity at about
the same age as humans, the elven understanding of
adulthood goes beyond physical growth to encompass
worldly experience. An elf typically claims adulthood
and an adult name around the age o f 100 and can live
to be 750 years old.

So an elf of 75 would still be a teenager.

Felvion
2015-01-20, 09:22 AM
May i draw your attention on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393967-Pact-magic-and-magic-items-interraction)? I created a whole thread for my questions cause i didn't want to post so much stuff on your own but your thougths are more than welcome. Also, i think some of them are up to the dm and wanted some opinions.

Ps: As you are still so actively answering things i can't help but wonder what kind of job is this?:smallamused:

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 09:43 AM
May i draw your attention on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393967-Pact-magic-and-magic-items-interraction)? I created a whole thread for my questions cause i didn't want to post so much stuff on your own but your thougths are more than welcome. Also, i think some of them are up to the dm and wanted some opinions.

Ps: As you are still so actively answering things i can't help but wonder what kind of job is this?:smallamused:

I posted on your thread.

And I do chat for a large corporation. So I can do basically anything I want. I get around 10-20 chats in a 9 hour day, so...

Doomboy911
2015-01-20, 01:07 PM
Is there anyway to use a spell with target: You on someone else? This is a level nine spell.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 01:29 PM
Is there anyway to use a spell with target: You on someone else? This is a level nine spell.

What spell?

Doomboy911
2015-01-20, 01:31 PM
heart to stone spell compendium. Page 111

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 01:37 PM
heart to stone spell compendium. Page 111

Heart to stone does not exist in 5e

Doomboy911
2015-01-20, 01:51 PM
Ah 5e only My mistake it's 3.5.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 03:01 PM
Ah 5e only My mistake it's 3.5.

Yeah, this being the D&D 5e part of the forum...

broodax
2015-01-20, 03:20 PM
What level(s) should I take next?

I'm a second level variant human rogue with Crossbow Expert. I plan to take 2 more levels of Rogue to get Assassin and Sharpshooter as soon as possible, but after that everything's up in the air.

I have good stats, (9,18,16,12,16,11), have had great success sneak attacking things to death (especially in one session at level 2 now that I have Cunning Action), and am enjoying bopping around at range, being sneaky and scouty, etc.

Some options I've considered:

- Battlemaster Fighter for Archery Style and some manuevers - would almost certainly go 4 levels for the attribute then switch back to rogue.
- Ranger for Archery Style, the only way I know of to get reaction attacks with a ranged weapon, and some minor goodies - same deal, 4 levels then back I'd presume.
- Just stay rogue.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 03:25 PM
What level(s) should I take next?

I'm a second level variant human rogue with Crossbow Expert. I plan to take 2 more levels of Rogue to get Assassin and Sharpshooter as soon as possible, but after that everything's up in the air.

I have good stats, (9,18,16,12,16,11), have had great success sneak attacking things to death (especially in one session at level 2 now that I have Cunning Action), and am enjoying bopping around at range, being sneaky and scouty, etc.

Some options I've considered:

- Battlemaster Fighter for Archery Style and some manuevers - would almost certainly go 4 levels for the attribute then switch back to rogue.
- Ranger for Archery Style, the only way I know of to get reaction attacks with a ranged weapon, and some minor goodies - same deal, 4 levels then back I'd presume.
- Just stay rogue.

I would possibly just dip 1 level into fighter to get the archery style, then stick to rogue... It's all about the SA damage...

broodax
2015-01-20, 03:36 PM
Tempting, but what about Action Surge at Fighter 2? I suppose that is not mega-valuable since that action won't get sneak attack dice...

Edit: though I suppose I could just Ready with the extra action, so really it still allows 2 sneak attacks per turn.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 03:46 PM
though I suppose I could just Ready with the extra action, so really it still allows 2 sneak attacks per turn.

This wouldn't work... you can only apply the SA damage once a round.

Joe the Rat
2015-01-20, 03:51 PM
This wouldn't work... you can only apply the SA damage once a round.No, it's once per turn. That reaction can be a killer.

But on F2 for action surge: It's also useful for when you are going for SA... and miss.

Shining Wrath
2015-01-20, 04:12 PM
Can you be more specific? I mean they can use the ability an unlimited times, so As long as the creature is of the Beast subtype, I would allow this.

You've got a druid infected with Lycanthropy. Whenever the urge to shift comes upon them, could they instead Wildshape into a different form that would not suffer from the curse?

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 04:12 PM
No, it's once per turn. That reaction can be a killer.

You wouldn't be able to use it again until YOUR next turn. So you couldn't.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 04:14 PM
You've got a druid infected with Lycanthropy. Whenever the urge to shift comes upon them, could they instead Wildshape into a different form that would not suffer from the curse?

No, The curse would be there regardless. It can only be removed by a remove curse spell, or by making True Polymorph permanent by concentrating.

broodax
2015-01-20, 04:15 PM
I think some folks are confused. You can sneak attack once per turn. There is no limitation regarding whether it is your turn, nor is there a requirement to wait until your next turn to do it again.

This means that the only way to get more than one sneak attack per round is to have a reaction that lets you attack during another's turn. For ranged rogues, this is pretty tough. I think the only ways to get one are to Ready (which normally consumes your one action, so doesn't help), to be targetted by a Fighter using a maneuver to give you a reaction, or to be a Ranger attacked by a Large creature.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 04:40 PM
This means that the only way to get more than one sneak attack per round is to have a reaction that lets you attack during another's turn. For ranged rogues, this is pretty tough. I think the only ways to get one are to Ready (which normally consumes your one action, so doesn't help), to be targetted by a Fighter using a maneuver to give you a reaction, or to be a Ranger attacked by a Large creature.

This is a common misconception in 5e. Round and turn, when things like SA are involved, seem to be interchangeable. Because everything in a round happens in the same 6 seconds, your things you get on your turn would apply to the start of the round, not the start of your turn.

Alucard2099
2015-01-21, 11:06 AM
I know... this is a shameless bump...

broodax
2015-01-21, 07:31 PM
This is a common misconception in 5e. Round and turn, when things like SA are involved, seem to be interchangeable. Because everything in a round happens in the same 6 seconds, your things you get on your turn would apply to the start of the round, not the start of your turn.

You're at odds with every interpretation of the rules I've seen, and I don't think there's anything to support your position that they're interchangeable. A turn is the space in which a particular actor can take their action, bonus action, and "free action" (e.g. interact with an object). A round is the entire time for everyone involved in a combat to take their turn, and corresponds to the initiative count cycling around, past 0, to the same count.

There are many instances of the rules that state that you can do something only when it is "your" turn, which pretty clearly implies that each actor has their own distinct turn. This is why you'll find near unanimous disagreement with your position.

Alucard2099
2015-01-21, 08:18 PM
You're at odds with every interpretation of the rules I've seen, and I don't think there's anything to support your position that they're interchangeable. A turn is the space in which a particular actor can take their action, bonus action, and "free action" (e.g. interact with an object). A round is the entire time for everyone involved in a combat to take their turn, and corresponds to the initiative count cycling around, past 0, to the same count.

There are many instances of the rules that state that you can do something only when it is "your" turn, which pretty clearly implies that each actor has their own distinct turn. This is why you'll find near unanimous disagreement with your position.

Your absolutely right. I have been having this discussion with a friend/colleague/co-DM and we cannot seem to agree. My argument is the same as yours. I put my friends in this post to see what kind of response it would get. If it was accepted, i would have conceded.

Alucard2099
2015-01-22, 04:24 PM
*does a jig*

broodax
2015-01-23, 11:22 AM
Would still take advice on my class choice now that we got the Turn/Round debate settled (props on using the forum as a debate tool :-) ). Is Fighter 2 worth Action Surge (based on the game so far, I think we'll be able to short rest juts about any time we want)? And if it is, is Fighter 3 worth manuevers? And if it is, is Fighter 4 worth a feat/ASI?

I think I might insert Rogue 5 in the middle there anyway in order to get an extra sneak attack die, but still haven't decided.

I'm also making a new character that will be running through the intro-adventure as someone else DMs for a few sessions while our regular DM takes care of a new baby. I'm thinking I'd like to go all grapple-crazy, and can't decide what build to use to get it online as soon as possible, since this will likely be a very low level campaign.

For the absolute basics, it seems Barbarian 1/Rogue 1 is the best way to ensure I always succeed, getting Expertise and Advantage as soon as possible, but it doesn't really lead into any of the crazy tricks like Wildshape or Spike Dragging or Jumping Suplexes.

Tarrab
2015-01-23, 12:00 PM
For the absolute basics, it seems Barbarian 1/Rogue 1 is the best way to ensure I always succeed, getting Expertise and Advantage as soon as possible, but it doesn't really lead into any of the crazy tricks like Wildshape or Spike Dragging or Jumping Suplexes.

Considering getting advante isn´t thaaaaat necessary to get your SA on, Reckless attack sucks balls, unless its against a single enemy and, then again, not that awesome. Let´s not forget Rage adds damage to your STRENGTH based melee attacks, and you need finesse (Dex) for SA.

Alucard2099
2015-01-23, 03:32 PM
Would still take advice on my class choice now that we got the Turn/Round debate settled (props on using the forum as a debate tool :-) ). Is Fighter 2 worth Action Surge (based on the game so far, I think we'll be able to short rest juts about any time we want)? And if it is, is Fighter 3 worth manuevers? And if it is, is Fighter 4 worth a feat/ASI?

I think I might insert Rogue 5 in the middle there anyway in order to get an extra sneak attack die, but still haven't decided.

I'm also making a new character that will be running through the intro-adventure as someone else DMs for a few sessions while our regular DM takes care of a new baby. I'm thinking I'd like to go all grapple-crazy, and can't decide what build to use to get it online as soon as possible, since this will likely be a very low level campaign.

As for the fighter levels, I would say go to 3 at the most to get feint, reposte and commanders. You will get action surge and second wind at the same time. I wouldn't stay long enough to get the ability scores, it's just not worth it. Stick to SA...

I wouldn't waste your time on Grappling. There isn't a whole lot you can do while grappling an enemy. I would, however, go barb till Relentless assault. I know people bitch on here that it sucks, but i use it all the time. If you keep to using it when you have your rage active, the disadvantages don't matter, because all non-magical damage will be cut in half anyway. I would stand proud to have a barb with SA... That would be devastating... Rage+RA+SA= stupid amounts of damage.

And before anyone busts my balls about the disadvantage any more... remember that this is a build for extreme power... not a tank... a Glass canon if you will.

Lord Kristivas
2015-01-23, 09:10 PM
How can dual-wielding be made better? With every edition, it's always the most lackluster fighting style. A fighter with a one handed weapon and the Dueling fighting style will often do as much, if not more, damage than a dual wielder. Plus, it takes your bonus action.

I've considered giving dual-wielding an additional offhand attack after level 11. I think this might overdo it, however. Thoughts?

Alucard2099
2015-01-24, 04:18 AM
How can dual-wielding be made better? With every edition, it's always the most lackluster fighting style. A fighter with a one handed weapon and the Dueling fighting style will often do as much, if not more, damage than a dual wielder. Plus, it takes your bonus action.

I've considered giving dual-wielding an additional offhand attack after level 11. I think this might overdo it, however. Thoughts?

I personally think that TWF is balenced in 5e. If you take into account that your sacrificing your bonus action to almost always use an additional attack, if you don't already have a bonus action, your set.

They designed the system this way to stop people from having 4 attacks and still use their bonus action. if your class will give you an attack for a Bonus, the i wouldn't take TWF.

Just remember that the duelwield feat grants the bonus AC and the ability to hold non-light weapons. Just...awesome...

But, if you really want duel welding to be better, consider making a feat for your players that allows them to wield heavy weapons in one hand. Then they can have 2 heavy weapons.

Alucard2099
2015-01-26, 09:21 AM
It's Monday morning, I'm back to work and ready to answer some questions!!

broli
2015-01-26, 10:50 AM
we had our first 5e session yesterday, and we had lots of fun

there two moments when we had "issues" and i want everyone's opinion

1) rogue with bows, and sneak attack range. the DM dosnt like the "as long as its within the first range of the weapon" rule. would it be to big of a nerf for him to rule a distance? he was considering 30 feet

2) Spell dmg seems to be "excesive". for example the bard 1lvl DISSONANT WHISPERS
3d6 ? when the best HP for lvl 1 is 13? wizard cantrip poison spray 1d12?
its this just an odd effect of being first lvl? or will spell casters will always have the ability to OHKO? (good/bad rolls of DMG or saving dices aside )

there is also a personal question
3) We are from Argentina and the DM is quite bad at English, so he hasn't read all the books, and obviously not understood alot of what he actually read. (for example, trowing a fireball and rolling 5d6 instead of 8d6)
We played 3.5e for years and its clouding the judgement of DM and other players alike. any idea how can i help? im trying to read and re read everything, including DMG and MM, but they screw up faster than what i can correct (and me stopping every action is getting old)
guess im hoping for experiences on how to keep the rules fresh in my mind. a printable side board mabe? make a list of errors each session and go over them during the week? (email, whatsap, ect)

im hoping the issue will fix itself, as the time goes by and everyone just forgets the old rules and learns the new ones.

thanks and sorry for the personal and subjective questions, but you did say to ask anything ;)

Alucard2099
2015-01-26, 11:13 AM
we had our first 5e session yesterday, and we had lots of fun

there two moments when we had "issues" and i want everyone's opinion

1) rogue with bows, and sneak attack range. the DM dosnt like the "as long as its within the first range of the weapon" rule. would it be to big of a nerf for him to rule a distance? he was considering 30 feet

2) Spell dmg seems to be "excesive". for example the bard 1lvl DISSONANT WHISPERS
3d6 ? when the best HP for lvl 1 is 13? wizard cantrip poison spray 1d12?
its this just an odd effect of being first lvl? or will spell casters will always have the ability to OHKO? (good/bad rolls of DMG or saving dices aside )

there is also a personal question
3) We are from Argentina and the DM is quite bad at English, so he hasn't read all the books, and obviously not understood alot of what he actually read. (for example, trowing a fireball and rolling 5d6 instead of 8d6)
We played 3.5e for years and its clouding the judgement of DM and other players alike. any idea how can i help? im trying to read and re read everything, including DMG and MM, but they screw up faster than what i can correct (and me stopping every action is getting old)
guess im hoping for experiences on how to keep the rules fresh in my mind. a printable side board mabe? make a list of errors each session and go over them during the week? (email, whatsap, ect)

im hoping the issue will fix itself, as the time goes by and everyone just forgets the old rules and learns the new ones.

thanks and sorry for the personal and subjective questions, but you did say to ask anything ;)

With regards to Number 1...

I would say that 30 is fine, because the rogue needs to be able to accurately hit the "sweet spot" on the baddie.

Number 2...

Spell damage is higher then melee all day long... however, it is an exhaustible resource. A fighter can attack and attack and not worry about running out of 'ammo" a wizard cannot. You will find that it becomes less " one hit death" at higher levels.

3 is a bit more tricky...

I would start by printing out some "cheat sheets", outlining the basic rules they they seem to have issues with. Other then that, time would help alleviate the stress of older rules vs the new ones.

I am always happy to give me 2cp worth. Just keep in mind that not everyone will agree with me.

Lemonblu
2015-01-27, 09:00 AM
I would like to ask what is it that makes a Flesh Golem a CR5 creature, and what features or numbers would you cut back on to scale it down a peg or two.

Story wise, I have the final encounter in my current campaign include one, though there's no guarantee the party will be level 5 by then. If I can lower its CR in some way, I can avoid this being classed as a deadly encounter.

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-01-28, 11:58 AM
Is there any class/feature that I can start with/get in early levels that increases my Initiative besides the Alertness feat? I have looked, but can't find anything.

Phion
2015-01-28, 12:25 PM
What are your thoughts about using sleight of hand as a bonus action with the rogue thief to gain advantage i.e. currently I have used it to gain advantage by pulling an enemies helmet down over their face or throwing my captain jacket (playing as a flamboyant pirate over their face blinding them for a round (due to temporary lose of visuals) after which they easily get rid of the obscured sight with no action required.

Would you class this as a clever use of the feature or pushing it too much? The party and DM love how I am using the feature but I am just curious as to what other people think.

Alucard2099
2015-01-28, 04:20 PM
I would like to ask what is it that makes a Flesh Golem a CR5 creature, and what features or numbers would you cut back on to scale it down a peg or two.

Story wise, I have the final encounter in my current campaign include one, though there's no guarantee the party will be level 5 by then. If I can lower its CR in some way, I can avoid this being classed as a deadly encounter.

Damage Immunities lightning, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non magical weapons that aren't adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened,
paralyzed, petrified, poisoned

That's a BIG reason it is a CR 5. If you wanna tone it back, drop the HP a little ( maybe by 10-20) and lose some of the resistances.

Alucard2099
2015-01-28, 04:22 PM
Is there any class/feature that I can start with/get in early levels that increases my Initiative besides the Alertness feat? I have looked, but can't find anything.

Alert is the only way to increase this without getting magical Items.

Alucard2099
2015-01-28, 04:24 PM
What are your thoughts about using sleight of hand as a bonus action with the rogue thief to gain advantage i.e. currently I have used it to gain advantage by pulling an enemies helmet down over their face or throwing my captain jacket (playing as a flamboyant pirate over their face blinding them for a round (due to temporary lose of visuals) after which they easily get rid of the obscured sight with no action required.

Would you class this as a clever use of the feature or pushing it too much? The party and DM love how I am using the feature but I am just curious as to what other people think.

I like your ingenuity, however I wouldn't include those as Slight of hand. Those would be unskilled DEX checks. and I would also have you roll an opposing DEX save for the enemy to see if he is just too fast that round. But again. I love it, but just try using a different check.

Phion
2015-01-28, 04:57 PM
I like your ingenuity, however I wouldn't include those as Slight of hand. Those would be unskilled DEX checks. and I would also have you roll an opposing DEX save for the enemy to see if he is just too fast that round. But again. I love it, but just try using a different check.

Yep they did make a saving throw that was either athletics (forcing my character away) or acrobatics (to dodge out of the way). We kind of went with sleight of hand because it is interfering with the other characters equipment/ tricking the opponent but I will tell my DM about your point of view and see what he says. Thank for the response :).

Alucard2099
2015-01-28, 05:01 PM
Yep they did make a saving throw that was either athletics (forcing my character away) or acrobatics (to dodge out of the way). We kind of went with sleight of hand because it is interfering with the other characters equipment/ tricking the opponent but I will tell my DM about your point of view and see what he says. Thank for the response :).

Anytime! Always like to help

Dawnstrider
2015-01-28, 06:01 PM

If I understand it correctly, the Bards Jack of all trades applies to your initiative and you get it at Bard2. Not much, but something.

Phion
2015-01-28, 06:11 PM
If I understand it correctly, the Bards Jack of all trades applies to your initiative and you get it at Bard2. Not much, but something.

But initiative isn't a skill

Dawnstrider
2015-01-28, 06:15 PM
But initiative isn't a skill

Jack of all trades reads : "Starting at 2nd level, you can add half of your proficiency bonus to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.

So it effects ability checks, not skill checks. I believe initiative rolls are a type of dexterity check, not a skill.

Phion
2015-01-28, 06:27 PM
Jack of all trades reads : "Starting at 2nd level, you can add half of your proficiency bonus to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.

So it effects ability checks, not skill checks. I believe initiative rolls are a type of dexterity check, not a skill.

I believe you are right good sir, nice catch.

Alucard2099
2015-01-28, 07:32 PM

That is the case. I missed that. My deepest apologies.

Yoroichi
2015-01-29, 05:08 AM
Does the barbarians brutal critical feature get multiplied ?

Yoroichi
2015-01-29, 05:10 AM
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 09:50 AM
Does the barbarians brutal critical feature get multiplied ?

No, you simply gain the additional dice. So if it was 2d4, it's not 3d4. Or 4d4 at 13th level

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 09:52 AM
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Roughly 24 miles an hour.

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-01-29, 12:39 PM

Any spells or such?

MadGrady
2015-01-29, 01:03 PM
Can I get the general wording (doesn't need to be exact) for the healing surge variant in the DMG? the one that allows spending HD in combat.

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 01:12 PM
Any spells or such?

There are no spells that say increases initiative.

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 01:14 PM
Can I get the general wording (doesn't need to be exact) for the healing surge variant in the DMG? the one that allows spending HD in combat.

From the DMG...

HEALING SuRGES
This optional rule allows characters to heal up in
the thick of combat and works well for parties that
feature few or no characters with healing magic, or for
campaigns in which magical healing is rare.
As an action, a character can use a healing surge and
spend up to half his or her Hit Dice. For each Hit Die
spent in this way, the player rolls the die and adds the
character's Constitution modifier. The character regains
hit points equal to the total. The player can decide to
spend an additional Hit Die after each roll.
A character who uses a healing surge can't do so
again until he or she finishes a short or long rest.
Under this optional rule, a character regains all spent
Hit Dice at the end of a long rest. With a short rest,
a character regains Hit Dice equal to his or her level
divided by four (minimum of one die).
For a more superheroic feel, you can let a character
use a healing surge as a bonus action, rather than as
an action.

MadGrady
2015-01-29, 01:14 PM
From the DMG...

You the man!

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 01:18 PM
You the man!

*bows*........

MadGrady
2015-01-29, 01:21 PM
There are no spells that say increases initiative.

However, any spells that increase your ABILITY SCORE/CHECK (dexterity) will increase initiative, as initiative is considered an ability check in this case.

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 01:29 PM
However, any spells that increase your ABILITY SCORE/CHECK (dexterity) will increase initiative, as initiative is considered an ability check in this case.

Yeah. I was just looking for the word " initiative".

It may be wrong of me, but i would have presumed that people would know that a dex bonus would increase it.

Phion
2015-01-29, 08:37 PM
Ola thought I may as well put this up here to hear your thoughts since no one has replied to my thread

"I have been unable to find anyone who has made this connection so I thought I may as well post it, its possible there is a technicality somewhere that prevents this build but I have been unable to see why not.

sink 2 levels into warlock (build as if you are playing a wizard, tough first few level but worth it later) and at level 2 take armour of shadows (cast mage armour at will without expending a spell slot or components) and then from there play as a Abjuration wizard and have free recharges for your arcane ward, the condition to activate arcane ward recharge is to cast an abjuration spell of first level or higher and does not state it has to be from wizard spell list.

Also we know armour of shadows is a 1st level spell because Fiendish vigor states you may cast false life as a 1st level spell, the only reason it does not say its as a first level spell is because false life can be leveled higher than level 1 whereas other spells from invocations can not be leveled such as alterself,detect magic, speak with animals, levitate, silent image and speak with dead are not leveled spells to begin with so to state as a level 1 spell is redundant. Thus is can not be argued that at will makes such spells cantrips."

as far as I can tell I am right what do you think?

Alucard2099
2015-01-30, 04:44 AM
Ola thought I may as well put this up here to hear your thoughts since no one has replied to my thread

"I have been unable to find anyone who has made this connection so I thought I may as well post it, its possible there is a technicality somewhere that prevents this build but I have been unable to see why not.

sink 2 levels into warlock (build as if you are playing a wizard, tough first few level but worth it later) and at level 2 take armour of shadows (cast mage armour at will without expending a spell slot or components) and then from there play as a Abjuration wizard and have free recharges for your arcane ward, the condition to activate arcane ward recharge is to cast an abjuration spell of first level or higher and does not state it has to be from wizard spell list.

Also we know armour of shadows is a 1st level spell because Fiendish vigor states you may cast false life as a 1st level spell, the only reason it does not say its as a first level spell is because false life can be leveled higher than level 1 whereas other spells from invocations can not be leveled such as alterself,detect magic, speak with animals, levitate, silent image and speak with dead are not leveled spells to begin with so to state as a level 1 spell is redundant. Thus is can not be argued that at will makes such spells cantrips."

as far as I can tell I am right what do you think?

This is completely possible. As noted in your other thread, not worth it, but it works.

ArchangelAzrael
2015-01-30, 06:14 AM
Hello there

Assuming that one would like to play a way of the shadow monk 18/warlock 2 (for devil’s sight) when would one take his first and second level in warlock? I am thinking after 6 level of monk but it seems way too long especially if you start as human and are missing darkvision.)

Thanks in advance

Alucard2099
2015-01-30, 06:19 AM
Hello there

Assuming that one would like to play a way of the shadow monk 18/warlock 2 (for devil’s sight) when would one take his first and second level in warlock? I am thinking after 6 level of monk but it seems way too long especially if you start as human and are missing darkvision.)

Thanks in advance

If your going to dip levels, i wouldn't in the first place myself, you would want to do it early. Early as in second level. This gets it over and done with.

You should also have little trouble with battle at low levels.

gfishfunk
2015-01-30, 03:18 PM
I will take you up on the questions. I've read through your current answers to questions... .... so.... ..... .......

1. When creating your own campaign / setting / session, how thoroughly do you envision the world / fill in details ahead of time?

2. What are the optimal builds for tanking? I'm not thinking of tanking in the 4.0 style, but melee builds designed to keep enemies off of other characters whilest staying alive. (I'm my group's tank, and I have to reroll before the next encounter because - gasp - I died.)

3. As a DM (which I do on occasion) how much do you railroad players and how much do you allow them to flip stories every which way?

4. How do you approach encounter design?

Alucard2099
2015-01-30, 03:43 PM
I will take you up on the questions. I've read through your current answers to questions... .... so.... ..... .......

1. When creating your own campaign / setting / session, how thoroughly do you envision the world / fill in details ahead of time?

I will spend about 2 weeks thinking up the world's setting. I also think about the races and how they would have acted to each other in the past. other then that, it's mostly made up for the session.

2. What are the optimal builds for tanking? I'm not thinking of tanking in the 4.0 style, but melee builds designed to keep enemies off of other characters whilest staying alive. (I'm my group's tank, and I have to reroll before the next encounter because - gasp - I died.)

In my experience, Paladin. My pally is very tanky and has an Ac of 21. This combined with his 82 HP at 7th level, he doesn't take damage often, and has the pool to take a hit. when it comes to making the mobs hit you, there isn't really a way to do that that I have found yet.

3. As a DM (which I do on occasion) how much do you railroad players and how much do you allow them to flip stories every which way?

I actually try not to railroad my players, simply perplex them. I try to add challenges that the players themselves have to work together to figure out. I will allow them freedom to steer the story as they want, but I will cut it off if I feel they are moving too far from the goals.

4. How do you approach encounter design?

I take the level of my players, the amount of players, and the party make up(tank DD Healer) and choose monsters that are equal CR to them(1 monster), 1 CR under(2 of them) or 3 CR under(4-10 monsters).

I hope this helps.

gfishfunk
2015-01-30, 03:49 PM
I take the level of my players, the amount of players, and the party make up(tank DD Healer) and choose monsters that are equal CR to them(1 monster), 1 CR under(2 of them) or 3 CR under(4-10 monsters).

I was actually inquiring more along other lines, such as trap placement, room size, terrain complexity, skill check opportunities, and environmental factors.

Alucard2099
2015-01-30, 03:58 PM
I was actually inquiring more along other lines, such as trap placement, room size, terrain complexity, skill check opportunities, and environmental factors.

Ahh I see... I will come up with the basic layout for a dungeon before hand. I'll mark which doors are trapped, most are. Everything else would be off the cuff.