PDA

View Full Version : Boosting will save

Renen
2015-01-15, 12:39 PM
I know there are a number of threads on boosting saves and such...
But is there any way of getting Will save of "definitely" with a wizard? Via spells most likely, as feats and PrCs are more limited.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-15, 12:54 PM
A lesser Ring of the Diamond Mind with the Moment of Perfect Mind maneuver, at all but the lowest levels.
Alternatively the Mindarmor enhancement (MIC, 3000gp) grants a +5 against mind-affecting 3/day.
There's also the armor Crystal of Mind Cloaking (MIC, 500-10000gp) with a permanent +1-5 competence bonus against mind-affecting. The greater crystal also allows a reroll.
Those are only a "almost definitely" though.

The only thing that lets you succeed any save that i'm aware of, no matter how high, is the Ring of Nine Lives (MIC, 45000gp). It lets you treat any one save/day as a success.

ILM
2015-01-15, 01:24 PM
Otyugh Hole (CS, 3k) gives you Iron Will, for a +2 unnamed bonus to will saves.
Mindarmor armor enchantment (MIC, also 3k) is a +5 immediate action unnamed bonus to will saves against mind-affecting spells and abilities, which is virtually anything that gives you a will save.
Crystal Mask of Mindarmor (MIC, 10k) gives you a +4 insight bonus to will saves.
Greater Armor Crystal of Mind Cloaking (MIC, 10k) gives a +5 competence bonus to saves against mind-affecting spells and abilities.
Greater Resistance (SC, 6th level spell) gives you a 24-hour +6 enchantment bonus to will saves. You could, with DM approval, get a Staff of 1/d Greater Resistance CL11 for 9,9k.

So, 36k gives you a total of +22 to your will save, which should be more than enough in most cases. That's the cost-effective option; you could get a few more points off luck bonuses (luck stone, for example) and morale bonuses (Heroism?) but getting those for an entire day is quite expensive.

Elricaltovilla
2015-01-15, 01:48 PM
Become an intelligent undead and gain immunity to [mind-affecting]? That covers like 90% of the Will Save targeting effects.

Renen
2015-01-15, 01:58 PM
True, but not all.

Elricaltovilla
2015-01-15, 02:02 PM
Well, to be honest, I can't think of any Will Save targeting effects that aren't [mind-affecting] or [fear] off the top of my head. If you do become an undead and pair it with some of the other options mentioned above, you now know exactly when to use your auto-success or reroll on the save, because so few of them will affect you in the first place.

Oh, and don't forget about mind-blank. That spell helps a lot too.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-15, 02:10 PM
Well, to be honest, I can't think of any Will Save targeting effects that aren't [mind-affecting] or [fear] off the top of my head. If you do become an undead and pair it with some of the other options mentioned above, you now know exactly when to use your auto-success or reroll on the save, because so few of them will affect you in the first place.

Oh, and don't forget about mind-blank. That spell helps a lot too.

Illusion(Figment or Glamer) spells are a big one. Banishment/Dismissal and some other abjurations like Maw of Chaos. Some necromancy spells. They exist, but few are as dangerous as the [mind-affecting] ones.

Being undead brings its own set of problems though, including abysmal fort saves (that immunity can be circumvented pretty easily by an informed opponent).
And you'd still want Mind Blank anyway because of the Scry protection it offers.

Elricaltovilla
2015-01-15, 02:21 PM
Illusion(Figment or Glamer) spells are a big one. Banishment/Dismissal and some other abjurations like Maw of Chaos. Some necromancy spells. They exist, but few are as dangerous as the [mind-affecting] ones.

Being undead brings its own set of problems though, including abysmal fort saves (that immunity can be circumvented pretty easily by an informed opponent).
And you'd still want Mind Blank anyway because of the Scry protection it offers.

I usually play Pathfinder, where Fort saves aren't as much of a problem for Undead. But grabbing some true seeing (goggles or spell) takes care of the illusions, which are the next biggest group, the protection from X or magic circle against X will help with Banishment (I think). Then you're just down to corner case spells like Maw of Chaos.

Doesn't Greater Iron Will grant rerolls on will saves? It does in PF, so that can help with nasty nat 1s.

gawwy
2015-01-15, 03:21 PM
In 3.5 how DOES one by pass undeads fort save immunity??

also im gonna put up a vote for going willing deformity madness and then using that Force of Personality from complete Adv to replace wis with cha for will saves. imunity to mind affecting and + 1/2 level to a will save as an immediate once a minute in exchange for -4 wis. then switch will save to another score to ignore the penalty. works best on mad sorcerers but would work for a wis dumping wizard.

Vhaidara
2015-01-15, 03:25 PM

Disintegrate.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-15, 03:25 PM

Spark of Life, Glass Strike, Disintegrate, to name a few from memory. There's quite a few spells that require a fort save and affect objects, and that is more than enough to take advantage because undead fort saves are usually so bad they practically autofail.

Also if you're going for type-based immunities pretty much anything is better than undead, because there are so many spells that target them specifically.

gawwy
2015-01-15, 03:31 PM
im i right in thinking undead use cha against fort saves that affect object?

Vhaidara
2015-01-15, 03:33 PM
im i right in thinking undead use cha against fort saves that affect object?

Not in 3.5 In 3.5, they get jack squat.