PDA

View Full Version : Reworking Eldritch Blast to fit a character concept.

Wolfsraine
2015-01-15, 07:07 PM
I wanted to get some input on whether or not this is balanced, op, etc. I wanted to rework eldritch blast to fit a character concept.

Concept:

Veldrin Shadowbane, a monk/warlock who was enslaved by his patron, the Fiend, for various reasons. After years of agonizing torture he managed to escape the depths of the 9 hells and swore revenge upon the one who imprisoned him. All the while learning everything he could about the dark arts to use them to his advantage.

Anyway, that's the gist of it.

What I wanted to do, was make Eldritch Blast more of a series of eldritch empowered strikes, where it would function as an attack action rather than a spell. With this variation the range would be taken away, or rather set to 5ft. I was thinking of turning it into a concentration based spell that would empower my fists with any invocations that I had to go along with it.

For example, if I were a 6 monk/4 warlock with the repelling blast and agonizing blast invocations I would be able to make 2 attacks at 1d6 Monk unarmed + Ability mod + 1d10 eldritch blast + chr mod and have the option of pushing my opponent 10 ft with each successful hit. At character level 11 it would go to 3 attacks and at 17 it would go to 4 attacks.

Assuming an 18 dex and a 16 chr damage would be 1d6+1d10+7.

Or perhaps have the spell just change my damage on my fists so that its 1d10 + dex + chr

Anyway, just brainstorming a bit and would like some imput from people that have more experience with the game. Is this too strong? Is it ok, too weak?

This idea sparked in my head after the shadow step thread that I posted a few days ago. Basically I want to be able to toss an enemy around the battlefield with punches. I realize I can just grapple and drag em around, but what fun is that? Imagine punching someone 20ft away from you in a straight line, then shadow stepping next to them and punching them another 20ft in another direction. Assuming you are level 17 and all your attacks land. Theater of the mind and all. Just seems more fun than shooting 4 beams at a distance.

After thought; is up 10 feet a straight line from you? Eldritch blast modification aside, if you eldritch blast someone within 5 ft of you, can you blast upwards? I feel like it's not an unreasonable thing. 4d10 + 4d6 assuming every blast hits. If the first blast knocks them up 10 feet, can the remaining blasts arc them? Still push them in a straight line from you, just at a slight angle?

I guess I just want to be a pact of the blade lock with eldritch empowered fists of fury darting around the battlefield like some anime character.

Amnoriath
2015-01-15, 07:28 PM
Having something like that can be mighty powerful at lower levels considering the Monk can have 4 attacks. You might want to consider picking up this homebrew as it fits very well with what you want.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?392423-Eldritch-Claw-Eldritch-Glaive

Feldarove
2015-01-15, 07:54 PM
I have a tiefling monk in my game who has a similar story (kinda similar) and I think what he is doing as straight monk fits the flavor.

If you take open hand you can push people with your flurry of blows, so that is similar to repelling blast. Plus with ki empowered strikes, your fist are considered magic. I think it might be reasonable to work with your dm to get some power/feat/magical item that let's your fist appear to be all eldritch magical looking and do extra damage. Like wrist wraps of the demon mage. A strange purple glow surrounds your fist dealing an extra d10 force damage on unarmed strikes (powerful item).

Just some thoughts. If you like other things about warlock and are thinking of going this path, than I think you would need to tone down what you have presented, or replace some abilities to do so.

Wolfsraine
2015-01-15, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. The more I think about it the more I just want to make a separate archetype for warlock or maybe even monk. Something along the lines of:

Eldritch Demon

Starting at 3rd level when you take this archetype you gain Eldritch Aura. At 3rd level your eldritch aura manifests around your hands as a sort of purple'ish dark fire. The aura can be activated and deactivated with a bonus action. Your unarmed strikes deal an additional 1d6 (necrotic damage?)

At 6th level your aura grows stronger and allows you to apply any invocations that would apply to eldritch blast, not including eldritch spear. Additionally you may make 1 extra attack when you take the attack action on your turn while the aura is active.

Anyway, something along those lines I think.

Submortimer
2015-01-16, 01:03 AM
I actually am playing in a game with a similar concept. DM approved my Eldritch Claw Invocation, so he's using that as his "Super awesome Melee strikes!" and pulling a bit of Akuma flavor by throwing "Fireballs" every so often.

Wolfsraine
2015-01-16, 02:18 AM
I actually am playing in a game with a similar concept. DM approved my Eldritch Claw Invocation, so he's using that as his "Super awesome Melee strikes!" and pulling a bit of Akuma flavor by throwing "Fireballs" every so often.

Can you please provide the details of your Eldritch Claw invocation?

Kryx
2015-01-16, 05:09 AM
Can you please provide the details of your Eldritch Claw invocation?

Eldritch Claw/Eldritch Glaive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?392423-Eldritch-Claw-Eldritch-Glaive)