PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best items for a rogue for pathfinder

belkasro
2015-01-15, 09:45 PM
Str 10 Dex 20 Con 12 int 16 wis 14 cha 7

this is a an ex slave who was brought up to be a gladiator. for someone who does not have much human contact seems legit to have such a low charisma.

right now only level 2 and plan to go epic in the game. trying to make the items but seem cant wrap my head around the cost of items worth. My goal is to get high AC, speed and stealth.

in short how to make custom items like clothing and such. like a cloak boosting thief skills or scarf of resistance.

I know its an odd question. just want to go out of the norm and think outside of the box and rules if allowed in the game.

any advice

rockdeworld
2015-01-16, 11:29 AM
The rules you'd want to read are here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation

The reason "scarf of resistance" (presumably neck slot) doesn't usually exist is because it costs 1.5x a cloak of resistance.

This guide for PF rogues (https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=13sCICmxwkq5yxdXVQqRr-H-SYrwUww13UFsKDcGJyJ4) also has tips for items (and other things) and is pretty good on that front.

Feint's End
2015-01-16, 01:21 PM
I hope I'm not really derailing the thread here but what race are you and what kind of point buy did you use? If it was rolled or distributed I can see those stats working but I can't wrap my head around the stats. Those require you to be either a special kind of Aasimar with 25 pb or 30pb with a +2 race or something in between for other races.

Sorry if the answer is simple. It's just bugging me

belkasro
2015-01-16, 08:03 PM
Human
30 point buy
putting all my points into Dex

Feint's End
2015-01-17, 04:11 AM
Human
30 point buy
putting all my points into Dex

Right that explains a lot . Thank you!

As for the rogue. How much creativity do you want to put into your items? Because there are quite a few ways you can do stuff with even mundane items. Granted those are not rogue specific but depending on your view of your character it might give some additional flavour (someone who always has the right tools for the job).

Wasn't there a handbook a while back which had some nice non magical combinations?

Other than that I'm not sure ... maybe the umbral collar for the shadow template would be sweet when you can afford it. Don't forget to buy mw items for your most important skills. (Stealth, acrobatics and perception all come to mind).

kalasulmar
2015-01-17, 06:13 AM
I created a whole magic item set for a rogue/fighter in my game. Boots, gloves, vest, belt, cloak, mask. Using the item set synergy bonuses from 3.5 MIC, it wound up being awesome. And he still doesn't have the belt or mask yet.

belkasro
2015-01-18, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Throwing out this out but for instance, take a lesser enchantment and craft onto an item of choice. That what I'm after. Like making a cloak of stealth that gives bonues to stealth and slight of hand. Or a cloak of resistance enchantment place on like other item like a hat or scarf. The rules don't dictate it has to be a cloak. Just trying to see if it is possible.

rockdeworld
2015-01-18, 01:22 PM
It's possible using the custom magic item creation rules that I linked in my original reply.

belkasro
2015-01-19, 12:36 AM
Thanks I do believe I got the hang of it. Rules don't go into too much detail. Last thing is said it's up to the GM. So hope he will let our mage go crazy a bit with the items.

belkasro
2015-01-19, 12:49 AM
Just want to know if doing this right. If caster level, spell craft meet the requirements and the and objects needed for a cloak of stealth feather fall ( permanent use and gain stealth bounes). I can have that placed on an item slot of my choosing. The rules did not specify that and just wanted an opinion if that is legit and legal by the book.

Example

Materials needed+ spell (enhancement or ability)+ right caster level + success roll on spell craft + spell cost (gold and xp) = new wonderous item

Feint's End
2015-01-19, 04:26 PM
Just want to know if doing this right. If caster level, spell craft meet the requirements and the and objects needed for a cloak of stealth feather fall ( permanent use and gain stealth bounes). I can have that placed on an item slot of my choosing. The rules did not specify that and just wanted an opinion if that is legit and legal by the book.

Example

Materials needed+ spell (enhancement or ability)+ right caster level + success roll on spell craft + spell cost (gold and xp) = new wonderous item

Well all custom items have to be approved by the dm anyways. So if you really get it isn't entirely up to the rules.

I think every slot is a go. They seem to have removed the DnD limitation of the enhancements only being applied for their regular price to slots it makes sense for and otherwise the price would increase. So no problem there.

The cost for a stealth cloak of feather fall would be (Assuming +5 to stealth):

2000(continuous)x1(spelllevel)x1(cl ... unless you want a higher one)x4(multiplier for short duration) + 5^2 (skillbonus square) x 100 (basemultiplier for skill bonus) x 1.5 (additional effect on one item) = 11750 g ... half for creation (that is if you don't need to pay a spellcaster to get the spell cast too)

Seeing that you could get a ring of feather fall and a custom item of stealth for a meager 4700g I'd talk to my DM about either reducing the price (though not to 4700 ... you still save a slot ... maybe 5800 would be appropriate) or just get the ring and custom item instead.

belkasro
2015-01-19, 09:03 PM
Thanks that makes sense as you put that. Just wish the rules give examples of how you put in that forum of an equation.

Tanthalasa
2016-03-08, 09:27 AM
I created a whole magic item set for a rogue/fighter in my game. Boots, gloves, vest, belt, cloak, mask. Using the item set synergy bonuses from 3.5 MIC, it wound up being awesome. And he still doesn't have the belt or mask yet.

Sounds awsome, if you don't mind I say... some items you might like to share or are they just for private use? Because I have always liked the idea of item set, gives some idea for making quests and so on...

Spore
2016-03-09, 03:46 AM
Might I propose a silly idea?

You are 2nd level you might as well start with mundane items. Caltrops, a good rope, a vest to hide weapons in, masterwork thieves tools. In addition to that you can create your scarf of resistance with no extra cost. A scarf might as well be a short cape so it's still the same slot.

My goal is to get high AC, speed and stealth.

The typical items for that are: Ring of Invisibility (20k; items seem to be gauged individually), Ring of Protection (2k, 8k, 18k, 32k, 50k; formula is 2,000 * Bonusē), Amulet of natural Armor (see Ring of Protection), magical armor and shield up to +5 (1k, 4k, 9k, 16k, 25k; formula is 1,000 * Bonusē), Boots of Striding and Springing (5,5k), plus maybe an activated item that gives expeditious retreat. Additionally you should cover your saves with said Cloak of Resistance (see magical armor and shields).

Another idea that conveys the topic of "bursts of speed so high that you cannot be seen neither targetted" is miss chance aka any items that emulate the spells displacement or blur and the haste spell.