PDA

View Full Version : Shadowstep as a means of fast transportation.

Krazyskooter
2015-01-15, 10:12 PM
The book says that with your action you can shadowstep 60ft to a space with dim light. Does that mean that you would be able to continuously move in 60ft increments at night covering much more ground than others would be able to?

Yorrin
2015-01-15, 11:03 PM
I'd rule yes, but it is a ruling rather than a clear RAW situation. The other side might argue that bonus actions aren't applicable to non-combat time.

Eslin
2015-01-15, 11:18 PM
Yes, you would. It's not like you suddenly stop being able to make bonus actions out of combat, and there's no listed cost.

Thanks for the idea, I'm going to have a hyper mobile group of monks as a skirmish force that hits and runs at night.

Raxxius
2015-01-15, 11:25 PM
Very manga

Alcino
2015-01-16, 12:20 AM
RAW, no limit.

RAI, I don't know.

Were I asked to make the call as DM, I'd say that Shadowstep, just like running and swinging a sword, is "exerting", and that you can't keep it up for more than a few minutes at a time. Still enough to outrun anyone!

Flickerdart
2015-01-16, 12:22 AM
Were I asked to make the call as DM, I'd say that Shadowstep, just like running and swinging a sword, is "exerting", and that you can't keep it up for more than a few minutes at a time. Still enough to outrun anyone!
Does 5e not have overland movement rules like 3rd and 4th (and probably the ones before them too) do?

Alcino
2015-01-16, 01:35 AM
Does 5e not have overland movement rules like 3rd and 4th (and probably the ones before them too) do?

The overland movement rules are quite simple: you choose whether to go slow (can use stealth), at normal speed or fast (-5 perception). Your speed is 2, 3 or 4 miles per hour depending on your choice. Most mounts can maintain a higher speed for one hour, but they revert to the base speeds afterwards.

Krazyskooter
2015-01-16, 01:47 AM
The overland movement rules are quite simple: you choose whether to go slow (can use stealth), at normal speed or fast (-5 perception). Your speed is 2, 3 or 4 miles per hour depending on your choice. Most mounts can maintain a higher speed for one hour, but they revert to the base speeds afterwards.

Wouldn't this fall under the Magical means of travel? If you can shadow step 60 feet as a bonus action you would get 120 feet in a full action. So that would give you a traveling speed of 12mph or around the same speed as a phantom steed.

Eslin
2015-01-16, 01:57 AM
Wouldn't this fall under the Magical means of travel? If you can shadow step 60 feet as a bonus action you would get 120 feet in a full action. So that would give you a traveling speed of 12mph or around the same speed as a phantom steed.

Not sure where you're getting 120 feet from. Monk moves 45 feet and shadow steps 60, totaling 105 without dash or 150 feet with dash.

Krazyskooter
2015-01-16, 02:09 AM
Not sure where you're getting 120 feet from. Monk moves 45 feet and shadow steps 60, totaling 105 without dash or 150 feet with dash.
If shadow step is half your action (bonus action) then using it outside of combat as a movement option would allow you to immediately use it again for an additional 60 feet. two shadow steps in a full round action would be 120ft.

Slipperychicken
2015-01-16, 02:29 AM
If you ask me, I'd count it as dashing for the purpose of exhaustion, since you're using your action to move. Meaning you couldn't use it for long-term movement.

Besides, by RAW, shadow step wouldn't affect your travel pace anyway. PHB, page 182 lists travel paces, and it says nothing about shadow step or similar abilities. Same goes for the DMG (page 242); travel pace is only impacted by your speed.

Eslin
2015-01-16, 03:19 AM
If shadow step is half your action (bonus action) then using it outside of combat as a movement option would allow you to immediately use it again for an additional 60 feet. two shadow steps in a full round action would be 120ft.

I don't think 5e has action conversion. Pretty sure you're stuck at travel speed+6.81818 MPH, so between 8.8 and 10.8 if you're using your bonus action to shadowstep every round.

If you ask me, I'd count it as dashing for the purpose of exhaustion, since you're using your action to move. Meaning you couldn't use it for long-term movement.

Besides, by RAW, shadow step wouldn't affect your travel pace anyway. PHB, page 182 lists travel paces, and it says nothing about shadow step or similar abilities. Same goes for the DMG (page 242); travel pace is only impacted by your speed.

It also doesn't say your travel pace changes if you are all 24 stamina barbarians with 50 feet per round movement, yet obviously it does. Take the travel time, add the miles for shadow stepping.

Slipperychicken
2015-01-16, 03:50 AM
It also doesn't say your travel pace changes if you are all 24 stamina barbarians with 50 feet per round movement

Actually, it does.

In 1 minute, you can move a number of feet equal to
your speed times 10.
In 1 hour, you can move a number of miles equal to
your speed divided by 10.
For daily travel, multiply your hourly rate of travel by
the number of hours traveled (typically 8 hours).
For a fast pace, increase the rate of travel by one-third.
For a slow pace, multiply the rate by two-thirds.

In one day, that party could move (50/10=5)*(8 hours) = 40 miles before they start making con checks. If it's a fast pace, they move (6.67*8)=53.33 miles. For reference, normal people have a travel pace of 30 miles per day (40 at a fast pace).

For each additional hour o f travel beyond 8 hours,
the characters cover the distance shown in the Hour
column for their pace, and each character must make
a Constitution saving throw at the end o f the hour. The
DC is 10 + 1 for each hour past 8 hours. On a failed
saving throw, a character suffers one level o f exhaustion
(see appendix A).

Since these are level 20 barbarians with 24 con (modifier of 7) and proficiency (modifier +6) in Con saving throws (Con save = 7 + 6 = 13), and the con saves start at DC 11, they could press on for some time after that before one of them gets an exhaustion level.

For a very conservative estimate, these guys could easily walk for 66-80 miles in a day before they start get tired. If they really need to push themselves to the limit, they can go much further.

Eslin
2015-01-16, 03:59 AM
Actually, it does.

In one day, that party could move (50/10=5)*(8 hours) = 40 miles before they start making con checks. If it's a fast pace, they move (6.67*8)=53.33 miles. For reference, normal people have a travel pace of 30 miles per day (40 at a fast pace).

Since these are level 20 barbarians with 24 con (modifier of 7) and proficiency (modifier +6) in Con saving throws (Con save = 7 + 6 = 13), and the con saves start at DC 11, they could press on for some time after that before one of them gets an exhaustion level.

For a very conservative estimate, these guys could easily walk for 66-80 miles in a day before they start get tired. If they really need to push themselves to the limit, they can go much further.

Woops, missed it. Main point still stands, just add shadowstep distance and you're golden.

Krazyskooter
2015-01-16, 11:09 AM
According to the DMG/PHB. Overland travel speed is Your movement * 10. More specifically it would be (your movement in 6 seconds * 10) If you use shadow twice during one action you are getting 120 feet in 6 seconds or 1200 in one minute.

Eslin
2015-01-16, 01:53 PM
According to the DMG/PHB. Overland travel speed is Your movement * 10. More specifically it would be (your movement in 6 seconds * 10) If you use shadow twice during one action you are getting 120 feet in 6 seconds or 1200 in one minute.

You can't use it twice in a round though, you can't use your action to use a bonus action ability.

Myzz
2015-01-16, 02:59 PM
You can't use it twice in a round though, you can't use your action to use a bonus action ability.

What he said...

You cant in combat (6 sec), use your <action> to shadowstep, then use your <bonus Action> to shadowstep again...

Why would you suddenly gain the ability to do it more frequently outside of combat? <hint: you can't>

So 1 shadowstep every 6 seconds for total of 60ft per 6sec...

ALSO, it requires you to step from one shadow to another... so you would have to get your DM on board that at night, the darkness is the Planet's shadow... Which you could potentially debate... Since the Moon Cast's light, and can create further shadows... HE could also potentially decide that the shadow cast by the Planet is diffused enough that shadowstep does not function at all... But if he is going to let you utilize the ability without actually stepping from shadow to shadow power to you...

<edit add>
Also it says from one shadow to another... so stepping into the shadow of the Planet... there is no other shadow, only the same one at night....

Eslin
2015-01-16, 03:01 PM
What he said...

You cant in combat (6 sec), use your <action> to shadowstep, then use your <bonus Action> to shadowstep again...

Why would you suddenly gain the ability to do it more frequently outside of combat? <hint: you can't>

So 1 shadowstep every 6 seconds for total of 60ft...

ALSO, it requires you to step from one shadow to another... so you would have to get your DM on board that at night, the darkness is the Planet's shadow... Which you could potentially debate... Since the Moon Cast's light, and can create further shadows... HE could also potentially decide that the shadow cast by the Planet is diffused enough that shadowstep does not function at all... But if he is going to let you utilize the ability without actually stepping from shadow to shadow power to you...

<edit add>
Also it says from one shadow to another... so stepping into the shadow of the Planet... there is no other shadow, only the same one at night....

No, the ability pretty clearly is meant to use in any darkness.

Myzz
2015-01-16, 03:05 PM
Shadow Step:
At 6th level, you gain the ability to step from one shadow into another. When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60ft to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.

The interpretation is up to the DM...

And I agree that I would allow it any any darkness, cuz thats cooler... But it does state from one shadow into another.

It is also clearly intended for combat use... That does not mean that it would serve no function outside of combat.

Eslin
2015-01-16, 03:10 PM
The interpretation is up to the DM...

And I agree that I would allow it any any darkness, cuz thats cooler... But it does state from one shadow into another.

It is also clearly intended for combat use... That does not mean that it would serve no function outside of combat.

Let me just bold the actually relevant part.
Shadow Step:
At 6th level, you gain the ability to step from one shadow into another. When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60ft to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.

Myzz
2015-01-16, 03:13 PM
your welcome to pick and choose which parts you want to read... I was just pointing out that those parts your skipping as non-relevant are actually under the Shadow Step ability...

EvanescentHero
2015-01-16, 04:19 PM
your welcome to pick and choose which parts you want to read... I was just pointing out that those parts your skipping as non-relevant are actually under the Shadow Step ability...

"...from one shadow to another" is fluff. It's flavor text. "...in dim light or darkness" is the crunch that matters. It's pretty clear.

Krazyskooter
2015-01-16, 04:44 PM
Yes I can see not using an action as a bonus action, but even it you use your monk speed and then shadowstep you're still moving very very fast overland.