PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Mini-Boss Warlock (3.5)

Kesnit
2015-01-15, 11:23 PM
I am trying to build a mini-boss for my 3.5 game this weekend and want to make sure I am doing this right.

The enemy is a Human Death Knight Warlock 7.

STR 20
DEX 14
CON --
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 19

1) Mortalbane
1) IUS
3) Eldritch Claws
6) Superior Unarmed Strike

1) See the Unseen
2) Dark One's Own Luck
3) Entropic Warding
4) Ignore the Pyre

Questions
1) Warlock 7 gives DR 2/cold iron. Death Knight gives DR 15/+1. Do those stack, so that he resists 2 unless it is from cold iron, and 15 more unless it is from a +1 weapon?

2) How do spells work with DR? Say that the SORC casts Burning Hands. Would that bypass either DR?

3) Since he is undead, do I add his CHA mod (instead of his non-existent CON mod) to his HP and FORT save?

I know there are a lot of better Lesser Invocations to take. I chose that one because, to be honest, I'm the party tank. I decided to cut myself some slack and not take some of the other invocations that will hurt me more or take me out of the fight. I've already done a fight in this dungeon that involved me doing nothing but backing up and pretending to be a wall while the rest of the party killed the monster. I'd rather not do that again, or worse, do nothing because the boss is flying and I have no ranged attacks and currently no way to fly.

Vhaidara
2015-01-15, 11:32 PM
1) Warlock 7 gives DR 2/cold iron. Death Knight gives DR 15/+1. Do those stack, so that he resists 2 unless it is from cold iron, and 15 more unless it is from a +1 weapon?

No. He would take 15 less damage if a weapon was not magic (3.5 did away with DR/+x), and 2 less from a magic weapon not made of cold iron. They overlap, not stack.

2) How do spells work with DR? Say that the SORC casts Burning Hands. Would that bypass either DR?

They ignore it completely unless they deal piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage, or if the spell specifically says that it is affected by DR.

3) Since he is undead, do I add his CHA mod (instead of his non-existent CON mod) to his HP and FORT save?

No. You don't.

AmberVael
2015-01-15, 11:36 PM
They ignore it completely unless they deal piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage, or if the spell specifically says that it is affected by DR.
This is actually incorrect. Spells ignore DR regardless of their damage type, unless they specifically say otherwise.

In general, DR only applies to weapon attacks. Spells, special abilities, pools of lava or acid or unfortunate lightning bolts from a cloudy sky- all these things don't care about DR.

On undead, the Fort and HP thing is a rule in Pathfinder, which has a few differences from the basic 3.5 rules.

snailgosh
2015-01-16, 01:28 AM

If he was an incorporeal undead, he would get his CHA mod as deflection bonus to AC.
As Keledrath pointed out you don't add it to hp or saves. Being undead he can ignore all effects demanding fort saves unless they specifically target objects/undead.

Thurbane
2015-01-16, 06:23 AM
Undead do get to use Cha instead of Con for Concentration checks, FWIW.