PDA

View Full Version : Dusk Eclipse's Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-15, 11:59 PM
With no warning, you suddenly hear the voice of what sounds like a gnome inside your head. “Your services are requested. Come to Kern’s Rest and Revelry tomorrow morningg to discuss arrangements. Be prepared for travel. A House Sivis Service.” For better or for worse you have decided to heed the strange words, making your way to Kern's Rest and Revelry, a humble hostel located in the middle ring of Sharn, it doesn't look much, but perhaps that is the reason you have been summoned there.

It is a pleasant surprise that despite the less than stellar outside appearance the hostel is operated by House Thuranni and House Ghallanda, the marks of the houses displayed proudly on the front desk, the tavern is almost empty, which is expected considering the day of the time, a few patrons enjoying a light breakfast while a lone bard softly plays the lute on one of the stages set up. Nobody pays much attention to you, nobody except for a perky half-elf girl who had been manning the desk.

"Welcome to Kern's Rest and Revelry, my name is Jessica, how may I help you?"

Sorry for the delays, but at least here is the opening post of "Eyes of the Lich Queen", I hope you enjoy the ride, because I sure will :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-16, 12:16 AM
A sudden voice in his head, telling him to go visit a hostel in the middle ring? Could be a trap, could be adventure. A chat with Blake and a promise to keep in touch (and a bit more cajoling than he'd like to convince his protective older brother than he'd ever tell anyone) and Soren Lowell is off. It's a relatively short walk across the sky bridges these days, and Soren makes sure to whistle a jaunty tune as he makes his way among the towers, and to have his scarf subtly stream in the wind.

The hostel is sponsored by not one, but two dragonmarked houses, which is probably why it could get away with the more rustic exterior, Soren figures. But he likes it. Inside is war and cozy, and it seems like he's the first one there. Which means...ah, perfect.

Soren gracefully makes his way to the bar and leans over, smiling lazily at Jessica as he rests his chin on one hand. "A cup of your strongest coffee, two creams if you please," he flirts as he tucks a stray lock of dark red hair behind a slightly pointed ear, "Served by nobody else but you, if you could. And oh, where are my manners? I'm Soren."

I am not good at the flirting dialogue. Hopefully this is okay and please tell me if I need to tone It down or stop or anything.

Regardless, I'm really excited.

CWater
2015-01-16, 10:50 AM
A message straight into her mind? Kaarna snorts and rolls a lock of hair around her finger. And an invitation to trip, maybe. Oh well... it's not like she had anything better to do anyway. Work hadn't been easy to come by lately, and while the city had its good sides, being surrounded by all these looming towers was starting to feel a bit constraining. Maybe it was time to move on.

It didn't take Kaarna long to gather the few things she bothered to keep, most of them were scrolls that she had bought from a sale with her last money, and hadn't had the time to feed Veca. Finding the hostel took her a little longer, the directions she first got were obscure, and she ended up taking a wrong turn more than once. When she finally arrived at Kern's R & R, some small clouds of annoyance had gathered over the witch's head.

Well, the place was cozy at least, she thinks after taking a quick look around, though a little empty. Except... Noticing the young human by the counter causes the witch to freeze for a moment. Then her face goes through a series of emotions, dread, slight embarrasment, annoyance and even uncertainty, before it settles on a bold grin.

"Well, look who I found.. If it ain't the kid with the silver tongue", Kaarna says and walks to lean on the counter as well, "I'd watch out if I were you", she says to the half-elf girl, "That voice can make a crude ogre brute think he has a old ma at home who needs looking after."

That backstory we talked about? Kaarna finds it most embarrasing.:smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-16, 11:14 AM
A message straight into her mind? Kaarna snorts and rolls a lock of hair around her finger. And an invitation to trip, maybe. Oh well... it's not like she had anything better to do anyway. Work hadn't been easy to come by lately, and while the city had its good sides, being surrounded by all these looming towers was starting to feel a bit constraining. Maybe it was time to move on.

It didn't take Kaarna long to gather the few things she bothered to keep, most of them were scrolls that she had bought from a sale with her last money, and hadn't had the time to feed Veca. Finding the hostel took her a little longer, the directions she first got were obscure, and she ended up taking a wrong turn more than once. When she finally arrived at Kern's R & R, some small clouds of annoyance had gathered over the witch's head.

Well, the place was cozy at least, she thinks after taking a quick look around, though a little empty. Except... Noticing the young human by the counter causes the witch to freeze for a moment. Then her face goes through a series of emotions, dread, slight embarrasment, annoyance and even uncertainty, before it settles on a bold grin.

"Well, look who I found.. If it ain't the kid with the silver tongue", Kaarna says and walks to lean on the counter as well, "I'd watch out if I were you", she says to the half-elf girl, "That voice can make a crude ogre brute think he has a old ma at home who needs looking after."

That backstory we talked about? Kaarna finds it most embarrasing.:smalltongue:

Soren turns around sharply at the sound of Kaarna's voice. His eyes widen a bit, and though his easy smile remains there's a hint of disappointment around it. "Kaarna, did you have to? I was busy talking to Jessica. And I'm sure even--" he pauses and checks himself, "you know that ogres have to have parents. Who knows, perhaps those mothers need their help with cooking." He gives both women an easy smile, but when Jessica leaves to get the coffee he leans over to Kaarna and asks in a hushed voice, "Did you...have any reason to come to this particular hostel instead of your normal bar?"

Heh, well we don't need to mention it right now. Oh, and Soren's a half-elf too. This is gonna be fun.

I also figured Soren would guess that Kaarna's parents are a touchy subject so he checks himself.

CWater
2015-01-16, 11:41 AM
Soren turns around sharply at the sound of Kaarna's voice. His eyes widen a bit, and though his easy smile remains there's a hint of disappointment around it. "Kaarna, did you have to? I was busy talking to Jessica. And I'm sure even--" he pauses and checks himself, "you know that ogres have to have parents. Who knows, perhaps those mothers need their help with cooking." He gives both women an easy smile, but when Jessica leaves to get the coffee he leans over to Kaarna and asks in a hushed voice, "Did you...have any reason to come to this particular hostel instead of your normal bar?"

Heh, well we don't need to mention it right now. Oh, and Soren's a half-elf too. This is gonna be fun.

I also figured Soren would guess that Kaarna's parents are a touchy subject so he checks himself.

"Sure, Veca wanted to try something new and had a temper tantrum, so I dragged myself all the way here to appease him." Kaarna leans back and eyes the hostel ceiling. "There was also this other voice in my head that seemed to have an opinion about it. Funny, you'd think one extra source of thoughts were enough." The witch chuckles.

Kish
2015-01-16, 11:48 AM
This is worth investigating. It's unlikely to be a trap, both because it's so public and because no one would have a motivation to set a trap for me, Scholar figures. Frowning at the telepathic imperative's imprecision, she decides to arrive at the inn exactly midway between dawn and noon. She walks in and sees Soren talking to Kaarna. She stands for a minute, scanning the common room, until Jessica comes back and looks at her questioningly. "Hello," she says to Jessica. I need to justify being here; I don't eat or sleep so why would I come into an inn during the day? "I'm meeting someone here."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-16, 11:49 AM
Soren chuckles. "I would hate to be on the receiving end of her tantrums." He looks back at the platform where a bard is performing. "Did the voice say something about meeting here and traveling?"

EDIT: the heavy sounds of someone in armor make Soren look up towards the door. Much to his surprise, a warforged walks in--one he's seen before. What's its name again? Striker? Sunner? Oh!

"Scholar?" he asks almost to himself. After a moments thought he raises a hand to get its--her?--attention.

Kish
2015-01-16, 12:24 PM
"Hello, Soren." Scholar turns to face the young half-elf. "Were you summoned here as well?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-16, 12:52 PM
"Hello, Soren." Scholar turns to face the young half-elf. "Were you summoned here as well?"

"Yeah," he says, looking back at Jessica, Kaarna, and the rest of the hostel. "I wonder why they asked us, ofnall people." Er...does Scholar like being called that?

CWater
2015-01-16, 01:47 PM
Kaarna raises an eyebrow when the new arrival steps in. She had had to get used to these 'metal people' after she had come to Breland, though they did still make her feel a little awkward. Apparently they weren't just golems, but actually aware, which seemed very strange to her. Then again, who was she to question what was possible in this world?

"Uh Soren, you know this... uh..." She waves her hand in Scholar's direction.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-16, 02:08 PM
"I saw it--uh, her, she calls herself a her--a few times at the finder guild house. Hired my brother for help a couple of times." He shrugs. It's not like he hasn't seen war forged before but they are still a bit unusual. Then again Karrnath used dead people to fight so he can't exactly use that argument. "She's nice enough for sure."

Kish
2015-01-16, 02:15 PM
"Hello," Scholar says to the short woman, her voice completely inflectionless. "Who are you?"

CWater
2015-01-16, 02:44 PM
Kaarna stares at the warforged intently for a moment, then spreads her hands and shrugs.

"Name's Kaarna, I'm an evil witch", she says with wicked smirk that reveals her yellow teeth.

Kish
2015-01-16, 02:46 PM
"And you got the same message? 'Your services are requested. Come to Kern’s Rest and Revelry tomorrow morning to discuss arrangements. Be prepared for travel. A House Sivis Service,'" Scholar recites, mimicking the tone of the telepathic message. For all the reaction she shows to Kaarna's declaring herself evil or baring her teeth, she might not have noticed either.

CWater
2015-01-16, 02:55 PM
Kaarna follows Scholar's reaction, and seems a little disappointed when there is none. Leaning back again, she starts to play with her braid.

"Yeah, sounds like the new voice in my head this morning."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-16, 03:10 PM
Soren watches the scene but doesn't say anything--he's kin of curious how Scholar would react too. "I wonder who else got the message, and why us."

rypt
2015-01-16, 09:42 PM
The Sivis sending finds Athard near the bottom of what should have been his fourth and final drink of the evening. But having nearly lost his sword-hand on the last similarly solicited job he accepted, the vagueness of the anonymous invitation warrants the ordering of a fifth drink. It almost certainly does not warrant, but nevertheless occasions, a sixth and seventh drink as well.

So it is that Athard arrives at the Rest and Revelry with both a severe hangover and an undisguised apprehension regarding the nature of these so-called "arrangements." Grimacing at the bard's music as he approaches the front desk, his eyes look to each of the tavern's patrons before finally focusing on its khorovar hostess.

"Well, Jessica," he replies, "you could tell me who it is that's trying to hire me and who's coin it is that's going to cover the cup of coffee you're about to bring me."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-16, 11:38 PM
"...I don't know who he is though," Soren says. He runs his tongue along his teeth, apparently trying to decide whether or not to talk to this new surly-looking man who is grimacing and rubbing his temples.

"Hey Kaarna, Scholar, think it's worth the risk?"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-17, 12:03 AM
Jessica somehow manages to keep her cheery disposition despite the somewhat bizarre scene unfolding in front of her eyes, she however isn't able to completely cover her surprise at the sudden appearance of the scarred man. "Su...sure sir" she manages to stutter, Athard can see a spark of recognition crossing the half-elf's eyes. Clearing her throat Jessica tries to gather the attention of the newest arrivals. "If you would be so kind to follow me, master Sur'kill is expecting you upstairs."

The hostess leads the group to a second-floor room, partially open to the floor below and with an excellent view of the stage. The sounds of a lute carry above the faint din of breakfast. A number of chairs are arranged closest to the balcony’s edge, and a low table against the back wall of the room is laden with fruits and pastries.

A middle-aged human with dark hair and neatly trimmed beard stands near the chairs, apparently enjoying the musical performance. He turns as the door opens, gesturing to the table. “Please, help yourselves. My name is Sur’kil, and we have business to discuss, which is always more pleasant on a full stomach.”

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-17, 08:15 AM
"Of course," Soren says, following Jessica upstairs alongside everyone else. The upstairs is actually rather nice, and Soren heads over to the edge of the balcony to watch the bard. He starts swaying back and forth, humming along to the music. Until everyone's upstairs and he smells the food. Apples and oranges and sliced pineapple and chunks of mango, apple and egg custard and pecan pastries, Soren runs over to the food and shovels one of everything in his arms. He sits at the table and starts eating as quickly as he can, hunched over as if guarding the food from everyone else until he seems to come to himself and realize where he is. The half-elf looks around, then shifts to a more relaxed position and eats more slowly, though he still hols his arms in a guarding position, claiming ownership of all the food on his plate.

When he's done he extends a hand to the man and says, "Good morning, Sur'Kil. I'm Soren, and were you the one who sent us the message?" no, no r wasn't, Soren realizes as soon as he asks--this man doesn't sound like the voice in his head. Though he could have been the one who commissioned the message.

Kish
2015-01-17, 09:19 AM
Scholar sits in one of the chairs and examines the man briefly, noting that he doesn't look much like a gnome, before she goes on to study the room. She waits for the flesh-people with her to eat and doesn't say anything.

CWater
2015-01-17, 11:26 AM
Kaarna chuckles. "What is it, kid? Afraid that someone's gonna steal the food from your mouth? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of it." She leans to pick up a pear and takes a few good bites, staining her hand and face in its juice. She turns to Sur'kil. "So what's up with gathering this weird bunch?", she asks and licks her chin and cheek clean, "I'm Kaarna, though I guess you must already know that?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-17, 07:05 PM
Soren looks a bit abashed at Kaarna's accusation, but there's hint of something deeper in there. He clutches the pastry tighter and takes a few more bites, making sure to chew and swallow before asking, "And why us?"

rypt
2015-01-17, 09:23 PM
A half-elf boy, a tiny shifter woman, and a warforged that could not possibly have been created for front-line combat. Athard has no idea what kind of job would see him joined with such an unusual trio, but then again, none of the others seem to have any idea why they're here either.

Reaching for a heel of breed and some butter -- just about the only thing he can stomach at the moment -- the former Cyran assassin reclines in his chair and waits for their would-be employer's explanation.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 12:24 PM
Soren tears into another pastry, barely taking time to savor the flavor. He knows Kaarna pretty well and has met Scholar once or twice, but who's the scarred grumpy guy? He's got a Cyrian accent but beyond that...?

"What's your name?" Soren asks, polite and friendly as he offers the man a blueberry scone. He also offers the same to Scholar, asking, "I know you don't have to eat, but, uh...are you able to?"

Kish
2015-01-18, 12:27 PM
Scholar shakes her head. "It seems unlikely. Or rather...most likely it would get lodged somewhere around my throat and while I would not be impaired, I would increasingly smell of rotting pastry over the next few weeks until it had finally decayed completely. But thank you."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 12:57 PM
Soren sort of looks at Scholar awkwardly and clicks his tongue against his teeth. "Okay then. Good to know." Actually though, that might be good to know at some point. The half elf turns the pastry back and forth on his hand, then offers it to everyone in turn--even the host. If nobody wants it he shrugs and eats it. No point in wasting food, especially if it's good. Though why were they summoned here anyway?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-18, 02:28 PM
"As interesting as that may be, I think we should get down to business" Sur'kil says as he takes a plum for himself.

“I am what you might call an independent researcher. I have recently uncovered hints and rumors of an ancient site dating back to the so-called Age of Demons. I would like to employ you to investigate this location, and to retrieve a relic that I believe might yet remain there.” “This task is not without some degree of danger, which is why I require the services of individuals such as yourselves,” Sur’kil continues.

“The location, while nominally still in Khorvaire, is somewhat remote, and so I would like to procure your services for a period of at least four weeks. You will have free choice of any treasure found at the site with the exception of the relics I seek, for which you will be rewarded in full. I can offer you each a base fee of 250 gp per week plus travel expenses. I will of course provide half up front.”

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 02:47 PM
Soren finds himself shifting more upright on his seat and paying more attention with every word Sur'kil says. His eyes grow a bit wider and he fights to keep the smile off his face. A treasure hunt, with adventure and riches at the end? The guys at the Finders Guild always come back from things like this with the coolest stories, and a few of the Cyrian plays were about stuff like this. Maybe now he'll have something of his own to sing and dance about too!

But try not to sound too eager, it's something he's learned. "Where are we going and what are we looking for?" he asks.

CWater
2015-01-18, 03:09 PM
"Must be pretty old then", Kaarna says and leans back in her chair, throwing her gaze at the ceiling. She quickly weighted the terms of the contract in her mind. One thousand gold for sure and old ruins... who ever knew what they might have. A grin rises to her lips, life was already dangerous to begin with, so why not go looking for it? She lowers her gaze back to Sur'kil and sits up. "Alright, unless you're going to tell the place is at the bottom of an ocean, I'm in."

Kish
2015-01-18, 03:17 PM
"An ancient site?" Scholar repeats. "I'm intrigued, but one thing I want to know first. What made you choose us?"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-18, 04:00 PM
Soren finds himself shifting more upright on his seat and paying more attention with every word Sur'kil says. His eyes grow a bit wider and he fights to keep the smile off his face. A treasure hunt, with adventure and riches at the end? The guys at the Finders Guild always come back from things like this with the coolest stories, and a few of the Cyrian plays were about stuff like this. Maybe now he'll have something of his own to sing and dance about too!

But try not to sound too eager, it's something he's learned. "Where are we going and what are we looking for?" he asks.

"Must be pretty old then", Kaarna says and leans back in her chair, throwing her gaze at the ceiling. She quickly weighted the terms of the contract in her mind. One thousand gold for sure and old ruins... who ever knew what they might have. A grin rises to her lips, life was already dangerous to begin with, so why not go looking for it? She lowers her gaze back to Sur'kil and sits up. "Alright, unless you're going to tell the place is at the bottom of an ocean, I'm in."

Sur'kill smiles at Soren's eagerness, and can't help but chuckle at the Shifter's answer "No, miss Kaarna, I can tell you in good faith that you are not going into the bottom of the ocean." he takes a drink from his goblet, "However I can't tell you the destination, at least not right now. Once en route, I can fill in as many details as I know.”

"An ancient site?" Scholar repeats. "I'm intrigued, but one thing I want to know first. What made you choose us?"

“Those in my profession make it their business to identify up-and-coming adventurers and explorers. Your activities have not gone unnoticed.”.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 04:11 PM
Sur'kill smiles at Soren's eagerness, and can't help but chuckle at the Shifter's answer "No, miss Kaarna, I can tell you in good faith that you are not going into the bottom of the ocean." he takes a drink from his goblet, "However I can't tell you the destination, at least not right now. Once en route, I can fill in as many details as I know.”

Why can't he tell them now? Is it that much of a secret? "When will we be going, and can we tell someone first?" Soren asks.

“Those in my profession make it their business to identify up-and-coming adventurers and explorers. Your activities have not gone unnoticed.”.

"What's your profession?" he asks. And what's he done? Sure he's helped out on Finder Guild missions, but Blake's the one with the dragon mark, not him.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-18, 04:18 PM
"My profession? I'm a simple scho.... academic with special interest in the Age of Demons, as for when will you leave, I have booked 6 places in the lighting rails that departs this afternoon."

rypt
2015-01-18, 04:35 PM
Athard turns a sidelong glance to the half-elf. "Athard Cen," he says shortly before turning back to Sur'Kil, his interest clearly piqued by the discussion of coin.

"Five hundred up, five hundred when we return, with additional dispensations contingent upon the recovery of your relics." He nods as though he finds these terms satisfactory. "How confident are you that your relics are there?"

Sur'kil's unwillingness to disclose their destination does not sit well with Athard, but it sits well enough for a thousand galifars plus incentives.

"Six tickets for the five of us? Who's missing?"

CWater
2015-01-18, 04:38 PM

"You're coming with us?" Kaarna sounds honestly surprised.

The shifter raises an eyebrow and rubs her chin. What is she supposed to think about that?

"My profession? I'm a simple scho.... academic with special interest in the Age of Demons, as for when will you leave, I have booked 6 places in the lighting rails that departs this afternoon."

"I'm sure you are." One side of Kaarna's mouth twitches slightly upwards.

But the rails! Now that would be a new experience. She had seen the lightning beasts of course, but had never gotten on board before.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 04:48 PM
Athard turns a sidelong glance to the half-elf. "Athard Cen," he says shortly before turning back to Sur'Kil, his interest clearly piqued by the discussion of coin.

"Soren Lowell. Nice to meet you!" he says with a smile, sticking out his hand. It's almost reflexive.

"Five hundred up, five hundred when we return, with additional dispensations contingent upon the recovery of your relics." He nods as though he finds these terms satisfactory. "How confident are you that your relics are there?"

Sur'kil's unwillingness to disclose their destination does not sit well with Athard, but it sits well enough for a thousand galifars plus incentives.

"Yeah, who's the other person?" he asks.

Though wow, the lightning rail! It's been nearly two years since he was last on it, and this time they'll actually have nice seats! And treasure hunting, mystery, and adventure! "I'm in," he says.

Kish
2015-01-18, 05:36 PM
He's evasive. Unsurprising, but I wonder why. Nothing of Scholar's thoughts shows on her face.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-18, 06:55 PM

"Confident enough that I'm willing to pay you" Sur'kil replies with a slight smirk.

The shifter raises an eyebrow and rubs her chin. What is she supposed to think about that?

"I'm sure you are." One side of Kaarna's mouth twitches slightly upwards.

But the rails! Now that would be a new experience. She had seen the lightning beasts of course, but had never gotten on board before.

"Soren Lowell. Nice to meet you!" he says with a smile, sticking out his hand. It's almost reflexive.

"Yeah, who's the other person?" he asks.

Though wow, the lightning rail! It's been nearly two years since he was last on it, and this time they'll actually have nice seats! And treasure hunting, mystery, and adventure! "I'm in," he says.

He's evasive. Not unsurprising, but I wonder why. Nothing of Scholar's thoughts shows on her face.

"Me and my daughter will accompany you on the rail, at least till we reach Korranberg, I have other business to attend there"

rypt
2015-01-18, 07:49 PM
Athard shakes his head dismissively. "It's easy to be confident when all you're risking is gold. We're risking blood, so the least you could do is tell us why you believe your relics -- if they were ever even there to begin with -- haven't already been plundered by another independent researcher." He rolls his eyes with these last words, making it clear that he isn't entirely sold on Sur'kil's nebulous self-presentation.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 08:05 PM
Soren pauses--an idea's suddenly come to him. "Hang on, you asked us, not the finders guild. Do you even know my brother has the dragon mark? Or is that why you asked me, because I'm unoffixially affiliated with the guild? This is something you just found that you want secret, isn't it?" Awesome!

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-18, 08:13 PM
"I see; you are very perceptive mister Cen, very perceptive indeed, the information that convinced me to finance this expedition is quite new, I heard of it just a couple weeks ago, so I'm fairly certain the relics are still there." he crosses his hands in front of himself "And in the remote case that someone else has already plundered them, then you still would get your pay, a win-win situation don't you agree?" he finished with a smile

Edit:
"Yes, mister Lowell, that is the reason I asked you to come here; I'm in need of discretion."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 08:22 PM
Now Soren lets himself grin. "Will you be giving us any healing items or ways to contact you or anyone else? And once we get it will you tell us why you need to be so discreet?" he adds, letting his curiosity get tje better of him.

I think Soren is too inherently trusting and excited to use sense motive or anything unless someone prompts him--if you don't like that please tell me.

Anyway, I'm convinced and Athard is gonna be great as a foil. Everyone's looking awesome.

CWater
2015-01-19, 03:25 AM
Kaarna quickly stuffs some more food into her mouth; never say no to a free meal after all. Once the shifter gets the last piece gulped down, she stands up. "Okay, lighting rails in the afternoon. I'll be there. Anything else we should know?"

Kish
2015-01-19, 08:04 PM
Scholar watches and listens and doesn't eat.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-20, 01:18 AM
Soren takes a long sip (more like a swallow) of coffee. When he's done he says, "I'm in."

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-20, 01:52 PM
Sur'kil smiles "That is wonderful to hear" he stands up and retrieves a small chest from the back of the room, he places it on the table and shows it, you all see four small pouches. "Here are 250 gold pieces as the first payment, I'll give you the rest once we are in the lightning rail" he waits until everyone picks their money before continuing "Now, I'll be expecting you in the Lighting Rail station an hour before sundown, please do not be late" with those words he stands up and leaves the room "Oh and don't worry about paying for the breakfast, it has already been taken care of"

Feel free to RP between you, or if you want to fast-forward to the lightning rail just tell me.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-20, 02:00 PM
"Thanks!" Soren says as he takes a small sack of gold and another pecan pastry.

Once he leaves, Soren turns to the others and asks, "So, do you think we should do any shopping or anything before we go? Where do you think we're headed?"

I'd love to roleplay (though I'm about to head to a meeting for a bit), but Soren wants to say bye to his brother too, if that's okay? If not we can fast-forward or something?

Kish
2015-01-20, 02:33 PM
Stowing her money, Scholar heads out with the others. Outside, first glancing around to make sure no one is obviously following us or eavesdropping on us, Scholar comments, "It seems likely that they want us to succeed at least initially; if they knew of anything we'd need they would have told us. Do you have enough to buy anything that you'd want for adventuring and don't have yet? I don't."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-20, 03:50 PM
"I have money, but I'm saving up for something," Soren says. "And I have a lot of survival gear." He looks at the four of them--Scholar the tall warforged, Kaarna, the small and lithe shifter, Athard, covered in scars, and himself. "We're probably going to get in fights if we're treasure hunting at the edge of Khorvaire. So that means we need to learn to work together and know what each of us can do, right?"

rypt
2015-01-20, 05:01 PM
Athard's pouch disappears beneath his cloak as he stands to leave. Too bad this wasn't a lunch meeting instead of a breakfast meeting. A bottle of wine for the road would have been far more preferable to a scone or some fruit.

Where do you think we're headed?"

"East," he says before taking a bite out of an apple, the weight of the coin in his pocket seeming to restore a bit of his appetite. He takes his time chewing and swallowing before he continues. "Darguun or Valenar if we're traveling overland. Maybe Qbarra by sea." He takes another bite.

"We're probably going to get in fights if we're treasure hunting at the edge of Khorvaire. So that means we need to learn to work together and know what each of us can do, right?"

"Right," Athard replies with a hint of condescension. "And why don't you start."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-20, 05:16 PM
Athard's pouch disappears beneath his cloak as he stands to leave. Too bad this wasn't a lunch meeting instead of a breakfast meeting. A bottle of wine for the road would have been far more preferable to a scone or some fruit.

"East," he says before taking a bite out of an apple, the weight of the coin in his pocket seeming to restore a bit of his appetite. He takes his time chewing and swallowing before he continues. "Darguun or Valenar if we're traveling overland. Maybe Qbarra by sea." He takes another bite.

Soren pauses to look at Athard. "Why do you think east--oh, because we're going through Korranberg, right?"

"Right," Athard replies with a hint of condescension. "And why don't you start."

If Soren notices Athard's condescension, he doesn't make a mention of it. "Well, my brother taught me how to use a bow, and I'm also a bard. So I know magic like this, well stronger but I don't want to use the stronger magic right now." With a twist of his hand the half-elf conjures up a few floating lights that circle the party and around Athard's head. A few seconds later they're accompanied by a haunted ghostly sound. "Oh, and I can put magic into my music too!"

Soren turns on his heel, pulls his scarf free and drapes it around him as if it were a sash. He spins and turns, dancing to the beat of the now-bobbing lights, and as he dances the other three find themselves filled with a brief sudden surge of courage.

Soren uses the cantrips Dancing Lights and Ghost Sound, then uses Bardic Performance (Dance) and Inspire Courage (+2 bonuses) for one round.

Kish
2015-01-20, 05:27 PM
"Somewhere that isn't inhabited anymore, likely," Scholar says. "I study multiple kinds of magic."

CWater
2015-01-21, 12:03 AM
"Kid, we already got paid today. No need for a street performance." Kaarna smirks and playfully punches Soren with her elbow.

"I do what witches generally do. Put curses on people and make them scream. Should I do a demonstration too?" She takes a look around, as if looking for a suitable victim.

She's not being serious obviously.

Kish
2015-01-21, 08:10 AM
"One question. What languages do you speak?" Scholar asks her new companions. "If we have any other than Common that we all know, it might be useful to talk without necessarily being understood by anyone around later."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-21, 10:07 AM
"Somewhere that isn't inhabited anymore, likely," Scholar says. "I study multiple kinds of magic."

"Really? What kind?" Soren asks, perking up.

"Kid, we already got paid today. No need for a street performance." Kaarna smirks and playfully punches Soren with her elbow.

"I do what witches generally do. Put curses on people and make them scream. Should I do a demonstration too?" She takes a look around, as if looking for a suitable victim.

She's not being serious obviously.

The half elf folds his arms. "Hey, I bet my performances are more fun than yours. So Athard, what are you good at?"

"One question. What languages do you speak?" Scholar asks her new companions. "If we have any other than Common that we all know, it might be useful to talk without necessarily being understood by anyone around later."

"Um, well I know Elven, and I can read and write Draconic though I'm a bit rusty at speaking it, and I also know Orcish."

CWater
2015-01-21, 03:04 PM
"My mother taught me Sylvan", Kaarna snorts, "Hasn't been any use to me yet. Learned some Goblin while growing up, and I guess I can say I've picked up some Elven on the way too. Just don't ask me to do a poem in it."

A grin slips to the shifters lips, "I can also swear and insult like an Orc or Gnoll, although...", she considers this, "That's probably not a very smart thing to do."

The half elf folds his arms. "Hey, I bet my performances are more fun than yours."

"Most likely", Kaarna snickers, "Speaking of your singing, if you're feeling helpful, there is something I could use your help with.."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-21, 03:59 PM
"Hey, I can help you do poetry in elven. Well, I can show you how to sing to it and singing is sort of poetry set to music, so..." He does a sort of a half shrug that is cut of at her second question. "Sure, what is it?"

CWater
2015-01-21, 04:22 PM
"I have something to feed Veca. It requires concentration, and your music... helps", the witch admits, reluctantly.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-21, 04:34 PM
Soren looks at Kaarna with a slightly alarmed expression. "What are you feeding her?"

CWater
2015-01-21, 05:24 PM
Soren looks at Kaarna with a slightly alarmed expression. "What are you feeding her?"

Kaarna pats Soren's shoulder. "Don't worry, nothing too evil. Just a simple summoning spell. I bet half the local wizards know it. Not really Veca's favourite, but he'll better gulp it down."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-21, 06:12 PM
"He...eats spells?" Soren asks. He's never heard of that before; is that a witch think? Clerics pray and wizards study their books and he focuses on the magic in the music, but eating spells? "Okay, whenever you're ready," he says, a bit skeptical but happy to help out.

Whenever Kaarna decides to begin, Soren breaks into song. It's high-pitched fr a man's voice, a melody without many words.

Soren uses inspire competence (either a +2 or +3 bonus I can't check right now) to give Kaarna a boost on her spell craft check. He uses it for the minimum number of rounds necessary.

Kish
2015-01-21, 09:00 PM
"I know Elven and Orcish, if we all know either of those well enough to converse in it. Who's Veca?"

CWater
2015-01-22, 01:09 PM
"He...eats spells?" Soren asks. He's never heard of that before; is that a witch think? Clerics pray and wizards study their books and he focuses on the magic in the music, but eating spells? "Okay, whenever you're ready," he says, a bit skeptical but happy to help out.

Kaarna smirks at Soren's expression. "Less weird than to carry them around in a book. Those aren't even alive."

Whenever Kaarna decides to begin, Soren breaks into song. It's high-pitched fr a man's voice, a melody without many words.

Soren uses inspire competence (either a +2 or +3 bonus I can't check right now) to give Kaarna a boost on her spell craft check. He uses it for the minimum number of rounds necessary.
I don't actually know how long it takes.
What do you say, Dusk?

"I know Elven and Orcish, if we all know either of those well enough to converse in it. Who's Veca?"

Kaarna shrugs. "Guess there's no harm in showing you, you'll be seeing him eventually anyway."

Veca! Wake up and come out!
You going to present me as a pet again? **** off, stupid humanoid, answers a voice in her head.

"Seems he's feeling a little shy today...", Kaarna mutters clear annoyance in her voice and slips a hand under her tunic.

Said, leave me be!
And I said that you're coming out!

A keen observant will at this point notice that Kaarna is chasing a small moving bulge in her clothing, and that it stubbornly evades capture, until finally getting to her upper back where she can't reach well. The witch is starting to look rather furious.

"Oh no you don't!" And suddenly Kaarna's hair starts to move on its own and the braid dives under the shirt. When it comes back out to view, it is wrapped around a black scorpion that is obviously protesting to the treatment. "This insufferable little vermin, is Veca", Kaarna says fuming. "My 'pet' ", she adds just out of spite.

Kish
2015-01-22, 01:14 PM
"I see," Scholar comments. "Sort of. A pet scorpion who eats spells." She looks at Veca and then says, "I prefer my spells unalive."

CWater
2015-01-22, 01:29 PM
"I see," Scholar comments. "Sort of. A pet scorpion who eats spells." She looks at Veca and then says, "I prefer my spells unalive."

"I can see it has some appeal", Kaarna replies with gritted teeth.

You keep treating me like this, I'll leave you to fend for yourself, stupid mongrel!
As if! You're nothing without me, you dim-witted insect!
I'm not an insect!

The witch and the scorpion glare at each other. Or well, one can assume that Veca returns the glare, it's a little hard to tell with vermin.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-22, 02:57 PM
Soren watches Kaarna's acrobatics with an amused--and slightly bemused--expression. "You two look perfect for each other," he finally says, smiling with his quip.

A thought strikes him and he turns to Scholar. "Do you have a familiar?"

so now what? Do we need to buy anything else or do you all want to keep chatting? This is definitely fun and I'm liking the dynamic already.

Kish
2015-01-22, 03:01 PM
Scholar shakes her head. "I do not."

Scholar doesn't have anywhere she needs to be before tomorrow and nothing she needs to buy, so she won't leave first; you flesh-creatures might want to get some sleep though.

rypt
2015-01-22, 05:44 PM
Oddly enough, Soren's dance routine is more than Athard could have hoped for. Not because it serves as an adequate, if not flamboyant demonstration the bard's abilities, but because it offers Athard the perfect opportunity to avoid even this basic introductory exchange. With both Kaarna and Scholar distracted by the ridiculous display, the scarred Cyran slips unnoticed into the alleyway adjacent the tavern. When Soren turns to inquire about Athard's abilities, he finds that Athard is nowhere to be found, his sudden disappearance perhaps answer enough to the half-elf's question.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-22, 07:07 PM
"Oh, is your magic like mine--wait, where did he go?" Soren turns to find that Athard's slipped away during their conversation. I'm pretty good at noticing people coming or leaving; he must be really good at sneaking, Soren thinks. Why did he run off like that though? Hopefully he won't do that on their mission.

He fixes his scarf back into place. The silence has suddenly taken on an awkward tone with Athard's vanishing. Soren probably could pick it back up, but they only have a few hours to get ready, and he's got a few things he needs to do. "Actually, I'm gonna go and say bye to some people. See you all at the station soon?"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-23, 03:41 PM
I'm just going to speed this through, if anyone wants to have a goodbye scene or something we can do that as a flashback or something, I want to get this going on.

Soon the time of departure comes, you are all gathered in Sharn's Lightning Rail station and as expected it is busy, people of all races and ages milling through out the station. Inside the coin pouches given to you by Sur'kil you find a small piece of parchment which instructs you to go to the platform A. Once there you are met by a young woman, dressed in red coloured blouse and dark pants, she shares the same hair colouration as Sur'kil so you assume she is the daughter he mentioned before.

"You must be the guys dad hired" she says in a friendly tone "follow me, I've got your tickets with me" she starts to turn towards the rail, but she suddenly stops. "Whoops... I almost forgot, you are going to need this" she hands everyone a piece of red string.

Kish
2015-01-23, 04:54 PM
Scholar goes to the lightning rail well before the scheduled time, having nothing else to do. Inside, she goes to Platform A and meets with the others and the dark-haired young woman.

"What's it for?" Scholar asks, examining the piece of string. "Some kind of magic?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-23, 05:24 PM
"Guess there's no convincing you otherwise, is there?"

"Nope; I already got paid and everything. Besides, I'm 22. You can't keep guarding me forever."

"I know. It's just that I worry about you. You are my baby brother after all."

"Urgh, Blake do you have to say that? Though I guess I can be a handful."

"Heh heh heh."

"Hey..." They cross wrists, clasp hands, and use the other to pull each other into a quick hug. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. Kaarna and Scholar are with me and you know what they're like."

"I know. Love you bro."

"Love you too."

"Alright, enough with the sappy stuff, go kick some ass!

Soren's in a good mood as he makes his way to the station, smiles as he picks up a pretzel from a cart. He's licking the last of the salt off his fingers when he spots the group. Cleaning his hands with a prestidigation, he practically saunters to the group and addresses the girl with a bow and smile.

"Good evening, miss. My name is Soren Lowell; what might yours be?" When she ties the string around his wrist he thanks her and asks what it is in the same polite but flirtatious manner.

they all have the same modifier so: [roll0]

CWater
2015-01-24, 03:35 PM
After Soren has left back to the guild, Kaarna slips away too and finds a relatively peaceful spot. There she puts Veca down and digs up two scrolls from her backpack. "I hope your hungry, and no complaining!"

Carefully she performs the ritual to store new magic in her guiding familiar.

Kaarna would like to teach him two spells: Summon Monster II and Bestow Curse. It takes 5 hours in total.

I'm just going to speed this through, if anyone wants to have a goodbye scene or something we can do that as a flashback or something, I want to get this going on.

Soon the time of departure comes, you are all gathered in Sharn's Lightning Rail station and as expected it is busy, people of all races and ages milling through out the station. Inside the coin pouches given to you by Sur'kil you find a small piece of parchment which instructs you to go to the platform A. Once there you are met by a young woman, dressed in red coloured blouse and dark pants, she shares the same hair colouration as Sur'kil so you assume she is the daughter he mentioned before.

"You must be the guys dad hired" she says in a friendly tone "follow me, I've got your tickets with me" she starts to turn towards the rail, but she suddenly stops. "Whoops... I almost forgot, you are going to need this" she hands everyone a piece of red string.

"Cute", the witch says and takes the string, "Is this part of some secret code, or do you just expect me to decorate my hair with it."

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-25, 01:48 PM
"You tell me you have never been in the lightning rail before?" the woman ask with incredulity, she shakes her head as if yo dispel an idea or something "Nevermind; those strings are nothing fancy. Just simple string for you to peace-bind your weapons" she turns sideways to show you a dagger sheathed, with a red string, quite similar to the one she just gave the party, tied around the handle and to the sheathe. "House Orien policies" she offers as an explanation.

Kish
2015-01-25, 01:57 PM
"I carry no weapons," Scholar says, wondering if they're going to want her to tie her hands somehow if they figure out she's a spellcaster.

CWater
2015-01-25, 03:00 PM
"As if weapons were the only way to fight", Kaarna mutters. "I take it that they have some enchantment then?" she asks. Nevertheless, she wraps a piece of string around her kunai knives and sickle.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-25, 03:14 PM
"I carry no weapons," Scholar says, wondering if they're going to want her to tie her hands somehow if they figure out she's a spellcaster.

"I see.... well in that case you can keep it anyway" she smiles at the warforged

"As if weapons were the only way to fight", Kaarna mutters. "I take it that they have some enchantment then?" she asks. Nevertheless, she wraps a piece of string around her kunai knives and sickle.

"Oh, believe me I know that, but it is a symbolic gesture." she stops, like she is at a loss of words "You know, like a promise you won't attack your fellow traveles"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-25, 04:23 PM
"You tell me you have never been in the lightning rail before?" the woman ask with incredulity, she shakes her head as if yo dispel an idea or something "Nevermind; those strings are nothing fancy. Just simple string for you to peace-bind your weapons" she turns sideways to show you a dagger sheathed, with a red string, quite similar to the one she just gave the party, tied around the handle and to the sheathe. "House Orien policies" she offers as an explanation.

"Only once, and that was a few years ago," Soren says, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. But he does remember this, kind of. He takes the string and ties it around his bow.

"Oh, believe me I know that, but it is a symbolic gesture." she stops, like she is at a loss of words "You know, like a promise you won't attack your fellow traveles"

"Well, you won't need to worry about me breaking that promise," Soren says, with a little flourish.

CWater
2015-01-25, 04:52 PM
Kaarna snorts. "Oh really... what a pity", she says with a toothy smile.

"Only once, and that was a few years ago," Soren says, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. But he does remember this, kind of. He takes the string and ties it around his bow.

"Well, you won't need to worry about me breaking that promise," Soren says, with a little flourish.

"Yeah, probably no risk of that. He might start a musical performance though. Or try to woo you with cheesy courtesies."

rypt
2015-01-25, 07:57 PM
Athard rejoins the others at the rail station in much the same manner as he left them at the Rest and Revelry -- silently, and seemingly from no where. He greets them each with a slight nod or an acknowledging glance, and when Sur'kil's daughter hands him the red string, he accepts it without question or complaint. As he ties the sting across the guard of his katana, he says nothing of the four other blades hidden about his person.

"So, miss...." he pauses a moment and allows Sur'kil's daughter to fill in her own name. "Are you in the independent research business as well?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-26, 04:13 PM
"Yeah, probably no risk of that. He might start a musical performance though. Or try to woo you with cheesy courtesies."

Soren just grins and bows, seemingly unaware of or unconcerned with Kaarna's snark. "Ah, but people consider that entertainment! And shouldn't a lovely performance be part of the appeal of travel?"

Athard rejoins the others at the rail station in much the same manner as he left them at the Rest and Revelry -- silently, and seemingly from no where. He greets them each with a slight nod or an acknowledging glance, and when Sur'kil's daughter hands him the red string, he accepts it without question or complaint. As he ties the sting across the guard of his katana, he says nothing of the four other blades hidden about his person.

"So, miss...." he pauses a moment and allows Sur'kil's daughter to fill in her own name. "Are you in the independent research business as well?"

In contrast, the half elf starts when Athard suddenly appears next to him. Soren doesn't want to admit it but the way he keeps popping in and out of sight without a single word is a bit unnerving. "What, not even a hi? Come on, were partners now, we've got to get to know each other!"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-27, 02:13 PM
Kaarna snorts. "Oh really... what a pity", she says with a toothy smile.

He is welcome to try" she answers with a wink.

"Nah, that is my dad's business, I'm just accompanying him because we haven't seen each other in a long time"

Soren just grins and bows, seemingly unaware of or unconcerned with Kaarna's snark. "Ah, but people consider that entertainment! And shouldn't a lovely performance be part of the appeal of travel?"

"Maybe, maybe not; for now just follow me, the rail is almost ready to depart" and true to her words, a human dressed in an official looking uniform, with the Unicorn crest of House Orien stamped on the shoulders walks towards the party. "Alll aboard!

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-27, 02:25 PM
He is welcome to try" she answers with a wink.

Soren grins and returns the wink. "I would be most delighted! Do you have any particular song in mind, or would you prefer a surprise?"

do you want me to roll, can I take 10, and what's her name?

"Maybe, maybe not; for now just follow me, the rail is almost ready to depart" and true to her words, a human dressed in an official looking uniform, with the Unicorn crest of House Orien stamped on the shoulders walks towards the party. "Alll aboard![/QUOTE]

The bard finds himself rocking back and forth slightly on his heels in excitement. Now that they're actually about to board, actually about to travel on a real treasure hunt like all the stories, he can barely contain himself. It's a struggle to wait in line and board patiently with everyone else.

Kish
2015-01-27, 02:28 PM
"Do you speak Elvish?" Scholar queries Athard. She watches the byplay between her new companions without any other comment, and follows the uniformed human onto the train.

rypt
2015-01-28, 12:45 AM
In contrast, the half elf starts when Athard suddenly appears next to him. Soren doesn't want to admit it but the way he keeps popping in and out of sight without a single word is a bit unnerving. "What, not even a hi? Come on, were partners now, we've got to get to know each other!"
Athard exhales a deep breath through his mouth. "It's gonna be four weeks of this, isn't it?" he says, turning to the seemingly more even-keeled Kaarna.

"Nah, that is my dad's business, I'm just accompanying him because we haven't seen each other in a long time"
"Hmm. I see." Sending your own daughter to greet the mercenaries you've just hired seems like an odd choice when she isn't even involved in any relevant enterprise. Odder still when you haven't seen her recently. Strange as their circumstances seems to him, Athard does not press the matter any further.

"Do you speak Elvish?" Scholar queries Athard.
Athard's answer is written plainly in his expression. "What? Are you speaking elvish?" Athard is traveled enough to recognize the Aeareni tongue when he hears it, but he has no idea what the warforged is saying.

CWater
2015-01-28, 04:18 AM
Athard exhales a deep breath through his mouth. "It's gonna be four weeks of this, isn't it?" he says, turning to the seemingly more even-keeled Kaarna.

"You got that right, sneaky guy", Kaarna replies with a lopsided grin, "And believe me, he's just getting started. Say..." A thought occurs to her an the smile widens to cover both sides of her mouth, "You don't have a problem with scorpions, do you?"

Kish
2015-01-28, 08:03 AM
"Unfortunate. What about Orcish?" she asks.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-28, 10:09 AM

"Aww, why do you have to be like that?" Soren puts his arms around his and Kaarna's (and Scholar's, if she's close enough) shoulders and pulls them in for a group huddle. He flashes a big cheesy grin. "I bet we'll all be great friends at the end of this!"

rypt
2015-01-28, 03:32 PM
"You got that right, sneaky guy", Kaarna replies with a lopsided grin, "And believe me, he's just getting started. Say..." A thought occurs to her an the smile widens to cover both sides of her mouth, "You don't have a problem with scorpions, do you?"
"No," Athard replies. As though she might be offering him some means of relief, he nods towards Soren. "Does he?"

"Unfortunate. What about Orcish?" she asks.
Athard's expression changes little. If anything, he looks more annoyed now than he did a moment before. He opens his mouth as if to speak, but all that comes out is a sigh. Shaking his head, he mutters something under his breath and turns to board the train.

Kish
2015-01-28, 03:34 PM
"We do not have a common language that isn't Common," Scholar concludes (in Common). "Unfortunate." She doesn't resist being pulled into a huddle by Soren, though she looks bemused.

CWater
2015-01-28, 05:48 PM
"No," Athard replies. As though she might be offering him some means of relief, he nods towards Soren. "Does he?"

Hm, pity.. Was hoping he would be at least a little startled...
I could try sneaking up on him when he sleeps. See if he was really being honest about that.
Nah, better not. He might squash you first and ask questions later. Seems like the type.

Kaarna is about to answer something outloud, but is then glomped by Soren.

"Aww, why do you have to be like that?" Soren puts his arms around his and Kaarna's (and Scholar's, if she's close enough) shoulders and pulls them in for a group huddle. He flashes a big cheesy grin. "I bet we'll all be great friends at the end of this!"

"I'd be more willing to bet that I'll be hoping to turn all of you into frogs in less than a fortnight", the witch throws back and slips out of the bard's hug. "But nothing can sully your mood now, hm?"

Kaarna is ready to board the train anytime.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-29, 02:15 PM
"I'd be more willing to bet that I'll be hoping to turn all of you into frogs in less than a fortnight", the witch throws back and slips out of the bard's hug. "But nothing can sully your mood now, hm?"

Kaarna is ready to board the train anytime.

"Nope!" Soren says, popping the P.

ready to be on my way as well!

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-30, 08:47 PM
Despite some slight delays, the rather unlikely party manages to board in time, the conductor leading the five of them to a single carriage, nothing really fancy, but quite comfortable, with just enough space so it isn't cramped. A couple of hours into the trip you hear a knock on the door moments before Sur'kil's daughters let herself in.

"Hey guys! How are you enjoying the trip" she cheerfully says from the door's threshold. "Hold onto that though, my dad wants to see you, so follow me" and without giving time for anyone to answer she promptly leaves again, almost running down the lightning rail aisle. After a brief moment of indecision, you decide to follow her. She lead you to another carriage (one much fancier than yours), where your enigmatic employer waits.

"Thank you Lydia" he thanks his daughter before addressing the rest of you. "First of all, let me apologize for all this cloak and dagger, not my cup of tea, but this particular mission requires discretion" he waits for the party to sit down before continuing. As I said before, I need you to investigate a certain location, in the jungles of the Q’barran peninsula, to the south of the great volcano of Haka’torvhak. From Adderport, you will have a five-day trek inland to the site of the Temple of Kha’shazul. This temple is your destination and the site of the relics I seek." he drinks fromt he silver teacup in front of him "My sources tell me that the temple itself is now being occupied by a tribe of Lizardfok, worshippers of a half-fiend dragon god" his brow creases in thinly veiled contempt "From what I understand, this tribe demands tribute from other tribes in the region, therefore they should be armed, capable and not too fond of humanoids. However, the temple and its inhabitants are merely an obstacle. You can hear Lydia scoffing from her place at the back of the room, her father ignores her.
"I believe that the Temple of Kha’shazul hides a deeper secret, one unknown even to the current inhabitants. My research indicates the temple occupies a place where an ancient demon was cast down. Such places were guarded, in legend, by half-dragon beasts. Somewhere beneath that temple, I believe that the crypt of one such ancient creature lies, along with relics of that time.”"

CWater
2015-01-31, 11:28 AM
Despite some slight delays, the rather unlikely party manages to board in time, the conductor leading the five of them to a single carriage, nothing really fancy, but quite comfortable, with just enough space so it isn't cramped.

"Okay, this is some weird magic", Kaarna says gaping out of the window, "Doesn't even feel like we're moving. Well, not much anyway." The shifter does her best to find a comfortable position and closes her eyes. "I'll take a nap, wake me if you see mister fancy pants or his little girl."

A couple of hours into the trip you hear a knock on the door moments before Sur'kil's daughters let herself in.

"Hey guys! How are you enjoying the trip" she cheerfully says from the door's threshold. "Hold onto that though, my dad wants to see you, so follow me" and without giving time for anyone to answer she promptly leaves again, almost running down the lightning rail aisle. After a brief moment of indecision, you decide to follow her. She lead you to another carriage (one much fancier than yours), where your enigmatic employer waits.

"Thank you Lydia" he thanks his daughter before addressing the rest of you. "First of all, let me apologize for all this cloak and dagger, not my cup of tea, but this particular mission requires discretion" he waits for the party to sit down before continuing. As I said before, I need you to investigate a certain location, in the jungles of the Q’barran peninsula, to the south of the great volcano of Haka’torvhak. From Adderport, you will have a five-day trek inland to the site of the Temple of Kha’shazul. This temple is your destination and the site of the relics I seek." he drinks fromt he silver teacup in front of him "My sources tell me that the temple itself is now being occupied by a tribe of Lizardfok, worshippers of a half-fiend dragon god" his brow creases in thinly veiled contempt "From what I understand, this tribe demands tribute from other tribes in the region, therefore they should be armed, capable and not too fond of humanoids. However, the temple and its inhabitants are merely an obstacle. You can hear Lydia scoffing from her place at the back of the room, her father ignores her.
"I believe that the Temple of Kha’shazul hides a deeper secret, one unknown even to the current inhabitants. My research indicates the temple occupies a place where an ancient demon was cast down. Such places were guarded, in legend, by half-dragon beasts. Somewhere beneath that temple, I believe that the crypt of one such ancient creature lies, along with relics of that time.”"

"So we need to break into the home of a bunch of lizards to explore their cellar?", Kaarna shrugs, "Sounds straightforward enough. But how many of these lizardfolk are there suppsed to be? I don't think you're paying us enough to fight a full horde."

Kish
2015-01-31, 11:38 AM
"How did you discover this information?" Scholar asks.

She'll wait for Sur'kil's reply before questioning further, "This hardly seems the kind of mission that would require such careful secrecy. What's in this lizardfolk-guarded temple that you're worried about drawing attention from others?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-31, 03:24 PM
Despite some slight delays, the rather unlikely party manages to board in time, the conductor leading the five of them to a single carriage, nothing really fancy, but quite comfortable, with just enough space so it isn't cramped. A couple of hours into the trip you hear a knock on the door moments before Sur'kil's daughters let herself in.

Soren flops into the seat, bouncing up and down as he makes himself more comfortable.

"Ah Lydia, this trip is truly wonderful! Thank you so much for your hospitality." He eagerly follows Lydia, happily chatting and flirting with her the whole while.

"Wow, aren't half-dragons really rare or something? What's down there that's so secret?" He looks curiously at Lydia when she scoffs, but doesn't say anything at the moment or do anything beyond locking eyes with her. But he listens intently to Sur'kil's story, places his hands on his knees and leans forward as he lightly swings his legs back and forth.

Sense motive: [roll0]

rypt
2015-02-01, 03:15 PM
All of this fuss over some jungle ruins and lizardfolk savages? Not to discount the dangers of dead demons and dragon-beasts, but Athard doesn't understand the reasons for Sur'kil's clandestine methods. Evidently, Scholar doesn't understand them either. For the moment, Athard is content to say nothing while he waits for Sur'kil's explanation.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-04, 08:37 PM
Soren pours himself some tea, watches it swirl and ripple. He offers the teapot to everyone else while waiting for a reaponse.

Kish
2015-02-20, 10:33 PM
"The temple contains tablets or slates with ancient writings, lost works of art of symbology, and other equally exciting finds--or so my research suggests. Enough to draw the attention of any number of treasure hunters if they were widely known--and the known attention of any treasure hunters would itself draw more treasure hunters, some of whom would likely smash priceless historical artifacts under their feet while searching for gold and gems, treasures their simple minds would assume must be there for anyone to be willing to search." He scowls at the thought, then his face smooths out into an indulgent smile. "You may think my secrecy excessive and perhaps you are right, but even if I am a paranoid old man, I'm prepared to pay well."

CWater
2015-02-21, 07:41 AM
"The temple contains tablets or slates with ancient writings, lost works of art of symbology, and other equally exciting finds--or so my research suggests. Enough to draw the attention of any number of treasure hunters if they were widely known--and the known attention of any treasure hunters would itself draw more treasure hunters, some of whom would likely smash priceless historical artifacts under their feet while searching for gold and gems, treasures their simple minds would assume must be there for anyone to be willing to search." He scowls at the thought, then his face smooths out into an indulgent smile. "You may think my secrecy excessive and perhaps you are right, but even if I am a paranoid old man, I'm prepared to pay well."

"You keep the promise of gold, and I'll promise to be careful. Even if it isn't really my nature", Kaarna says with a toothy grin. "Well, I have no complaints. Like I said, this sounds straightforward a job to me. Although", she lowers her voice and a hint of growling slips into it, "you better not be tricking us, or plan to stab us in the back some way. Such things I don't forgive. Or forget."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-21, 09:34 AM
Soren looks at Kaarna and smiles. " sure that won't be a problem. Though what do you want us to do with all the tablets and diaries and pottery and stuff that we find?" He doesn't really like the idea of them being smashed either--they were someone's once!

kish, did Soren get anything from that sense motive check he made a couple posts ago?

Kish
2015-02-21, 10:24 AM
Lydia doesn't think the mission is a good idea, though you can't tell exactly why.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-21, 10:55 AM
Soren raises his eyebrows almost perceptibly. After a moments thought he leans over to Lydia with a smile and a wink. "Ah, Lydia, I heard someone say something about a fully stocked bar in the next car over. Would you like to get something to drink and eat? My treat, of course."

do I need any rolls for this? Assume Soren is being flirty but in a socially acceptable manner in front of her father. He's the one with 18 charisma, not me.

rypt
2015-02-22, 02:35 AM
"You may think my secrecy excessive and perhaps you are right, but even if I am a paranoid old man, I'm prepared to pay well."

Athard exhales something between a chuckle and a scoff at this final remark, believing it to be the most genuine sentiment that Sur'kil has expressed all day. "In that case, now seems as good a time as any for our second share."

When Soren begins to flirt with their employer's daughter, Athard turns a harsh eye toward the young half-elf, his expression speaking wordlessly, easy does it, kid.

I'm just going to assume Athard's Sense Motive check failed.

And just a reminder, because I had to look back as well, Sur'kil agreed to pay us the remainder of our free once we boarded the lightning rail (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18686452&postcount=47).

Kish
2015-02-22, 10:58 AM
"You will be rewarded for bringing back anything you find that has historical significance, as well as for the specific relics I seek." He takes out four pouches, a larger bag, a box, and a map. He hands one of the pouches each to Soren, Kaarna, Athard and Scholar, the box to Kaarna, the bag to Soren, and the map to Scholar. Opening the containers, you find 250 gold each in the pouches, two small stones carved to resemble conch shells in the bag, and five vials of liquid in the box.

"These are sending stones. Use one of them if you find any of the relics, the other one when you're leaving the temple, whether you've found anything or not. These are antitoxin--in case you run into any of the inhabitants."
http://i61.tinypic.com/14xzf4i.png

Lydia hesitates before replying to Soren, "Sure, why not?"

Even though she accepted Soren's offer, she seems more reserved than usual for a woman he flirts with who doesn't immediately shut him down.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-22, 12:20 PM
]When Soren begins to flirt with their employer's daughter, Athard turns a harsh eye toward the young half-elf, his expression speaking wordlessly, easy does it, kid.

Soren returns Athard's glare with a rakish smile.

So what if Athard thinks him a dandy and a fool?

"You will be rewarded for bringing back anything you find that has historical significance, as well as for the specific relics I seek." He takes out four pouches, a larger bag, a box, and a map. He hands one of the pouches each to Soren, Kaarna, Athard and Scholar, the box to Kaarna, the bag to Soren, and the map to Scholar. Opening the containers, you find 250 gold each in the pouches, two small stones carved to resemble conch shells in the bag, and five vials of liquid in the box.

"These are sending stones. Use one of them if you find any of the relics, the other one when you're leaving the temple, whether you've found anything or not. These are antitoxin--in case you run into any of the inhabitants."
http://i61.tinypic.com/14xzf4i.png

Lydia hesitates before replying to Soren, "Sure, why not?"

Even though she accepted Soren's offer, she seems more reserved than usual for a woman he flirts with who doesn't immediately shut him down.

"Sweet!" Soren immediately pockets the gold and sending stones with a promise to use them as soon as they find the things he's looking for. Afterwards, he offers Lydia a hand up on the lightning rail and moves to the cat where he heard the bar was. Leaning against the bar itself (which also helps him keep his balance with the swaying of the Lightning Rail, but don't tell anyone that), Soren smiles at the bartender and says, "A glass of whatever Karrnathian stout is on tap for me, and whatever the young lady here wants for her. Both on my tab of course." He smiles back at Lydia. "Would you like anything to eat as well?

CWater
2015-02-22, 01:37 PM
Kaarna lets out a small cackling snicker after Soren has left with Lydia. "In that age, there's nothing more important in their heads", she says in Athard's direction. Then she pockets the gold pouch and swings herself up from her seat. "I'm going to take a look around, never been on board of these noisy machines before."

Kish
2015-02-23, 01:01 PM
"Wine's good," Lydia says with a friendly, though bemused smile. She sits down and watches Soren curiously.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-23, 01:09 PM
"And a glass of wine for her," Soren says. Once they get the drinks he sits down and sips his beer. Eventually he asks, "So Lydia, are you in the treasure hunting business too?"

Kish
2015-02-23, 01:12 PM
"Sort of. I'm very interested in archaeology--less in what things can be sold for." She shrugs. "What motivates you, Soren?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-23, 01:24 PM
Soren shrugs. "Actually I'm a bit of a drifter--at least, I've traveled across a good bit of the continent. I suppose I've learned to think about the now rather than the far off future. What motivates me...right now I do exploring, traveling, and I would like to make a name for myself someday." He chuckles and holds out his glass. "But the secrets of the past--now that's a worthy goal." He takes a sip of his beer. "Have you been to these ruins before? It sounds like you and your father know a lot about them."

Soren genuinely wants to talk to her and stuff, but he also wants to find out why she doesn't think the mission is a good idea. Also, I'm headed to class so I might not be able to reply for a bit.

rypt
2015-02-23, 02:34 PM
Athard gives Scholar some time to review the map before reaching over to have a look for himself. After a few moments, he looks from the map to the vials of antitoxin and grimaces. "This train can only take us so far. How are we getting to Adderport?"

Kish
2015-02-23, 09:46 PM
Scholar lets Athard take the map readily enough.

Sur'Kil:"We should arrive in Korranburg in three days. From there, we'll board a galleon I've chartered from House Lyrander to go the rest of the way."

Lydia: "No, we've never been to the ruins before. We're not exactly combatants, you know." She smiles.

Lydia's attitude toward Soren remains friendly but reserved. She'll talk in general terms about archaeology readily. She obliquely deflects his flirting, never seeming to quite acknowledge it.

Whether she's a lesbian, or asexual, or for some other reason, she evinces no attraction to him--not even potential attraction.

She appears a little surprised that you'd ask, but answers frankly, "I don't agree with my father's interpretation of the reports he's gathered. I don't think the relics he's searching for are there. This is all a waste of your time and his money." She shrugs. "But I suppose going into dangerous places is what you do for a living, and there's only one way to be sure they're not there."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-23, 11:13 PM
take 10 for 22 if possible. I figure Soren's used to this. :smalltongue:

Soren realizes, eventually, that Lydia isn't into him at all. He can't say it's not new, though it is a bit disappointing. Still, a lack of attraction is no reason not to chat with someone, and so Soren continues the conversation. Though he does ease back with the flirting--especially when he offers to show her how to shoot a bow. At some point he asks, "It sounded like you have some reservations about it mission. If it's not too much trouble, why?"

Soren can't quite hide his frown at Lydia's news. He washes it down with another sip of beer and asks, "Do you think they could be in another set of ruins, or not there at all? Thought of course, the only way to tell is to look! Seriously though, thanks for warning us." he holds out the beer for a toast. "To good fortune then!"

Kish
2015-02-24, 09:34 PM
"We'll need to go back to searching if they're not there; I'm sure they're somewhere. Good luck." She smiles. "I hope I'm wrong."

Kish, am I in a different time point from the rest of the party?
Not really; not much is going to happen until you reach Sterngate and Adrianna joins you.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-25, 12:25 AM
"Heheh, thank you. And I certainly hope you're wrong too." Soren continues chatting with Lydia for a while, at least until they decide to return to the car with everyone else.

Ah, thanks. This is okay, right?

CWater
2015-02-25, 09:15 AM
Kaarna wanders around the train, wherever she's allowed to go, poking around and inspecting this strange construction.

Ready to move on, if there's not anything else up.

Kish
2015-02-25, 11:09 PM
Finally, the train pulls into Sterngate. "We'll be staying here for seventy-two minutes; if you want to get off the train, make sure you have a token so you can get back on, and don't be late getting back," Sur'kil says. Scholar remains sitting where she has been since she first boarded the train.

If anyone is in a position to notice, Lydia disembarks the train almost immediately. Approximately twenty minutes after you arrived, Lydia returns with a teenage girl in full plate armor. "This is Adrianna Isolte," she tells (Scholar and anyone else who is in Sur'kil's cabin at the time), "the last member of your party."

Silverraptor
2015-02-25, 11:33 PM
Adrianna stands before them at attention, with her helmet tucked under her arm. It is quite clear she is well trained and disciplined. There is no smile on her face, but a fierce determination of following orders. When Sur'kil introduced her, she steps forward to continue introducing herself.
"Corporal Adrianna. As requested, here to provide security for your assignment."

CWater
2015-02-26, 03:37 AM
Kaarna was out on the platform when Lydia returned with Adrianna and followed them back in.

After her introduction she asks, "Another kid? For 'security'?" She eyes the girl and her expression says Seriously?

Kaarna might be a bit prejudiced (in more than one way), do prove her wrong! :)

CoffeeIncluded
2015-02-26, 09:49 AM
If both Sur'kil and Lydia are gone for any period of time, Soren lowers his voice and whispers to the party, Lydia isn't as certain as her dad that the relics are there, but she agrees that the only way to know is to try. I don't think she thinks there are extra dangers there though."

Once Adrianne arrives the bard blinks away momentary confusion before bowing and saying, "Pleased to meet you. My name is Soren Lowell." Reporting for duty--is she a soldier? Was she? She looks so young...

rypt
2015-02-27, 02:25 AM
As he listens to Adrianna's introduction, Athard looks incredulously to Sur'kil. "You sure know how to pick 'em..." he mutters through a tightened jaw.

He turns then to the armored girl, still shaking his head. That she is so young could mean that she is an exceptionally talented soldier. It could also mean that she's merely the niece of Brelish officer, or the rebellious daughter of a noble lord who has yet to learn the limits of her family's wealth.

"How long have you served your king, corporal?"

Athard is going to have a few more questions to ask Adrianna, but I'll go through them one at a time.

Silverraptor
2015-02-27, 12:19 PM
Adrianna stands firm, answering the questions unwaveringly.
"I've been fighting for Breland for four years. I've carried out and completed every task and order that has been given from my superiors."

Kish
2015-02-27, 04:51 PM
"Hello, Corporal," says a tall, skinny female warforged, rising casually to her feet. "I'm Scholar."

rypt
2015-02-27, 10:24 PM
Athard notes Adrianna's stoicism, but rolls his eyes at the thought of anyone taking pride in having obeyed every order they've ever been given. A child's notion. Or a fool's.

"Where were you stationed during the War?"

CWater
2015-02-28, 08:14 AM
Adrianna stands firm, answering the questions unwaveringly.
"I've been fighting for Breland for four years. I've carried out and completed every task and order that has been given from my superiors."

"So not totally green then", Kaarna says and nods mildly approvingly, "That does mean you've been in real fights, right girl?" She tilts her head. "I'm Kaarna, a witch who likes fire."

Silverraptor
2015-03-01, 03:17 AM
Athard notes Adrianna's stoicism, but rolls his eyes at the thought of anyone taking pride in having obeyed every order they've ever been given. A child's notion. Or a fool's.

"Where were you stationed during the War?"

"So not totally green then", Kaarna says and nods mildly approvingly, "That does mean you've been in real fights, right girl?" She tilts her head. "I'm Kaarna, a witch who likes fire."

"I was stationed at Fort Kennrun. Most assignments were either bandits or escorting refuges."
Adrianna acknowledges Kaarna.
"There have been some fights with bandits that resulted in clash of arms, including fatalities."

CWater
2015-03-01, 08:46 AM
"I was stationed at Fort Kennrun. Most assignments were either bandits or escorting refuges."
Adrianna acknowledges Kaarna.
"There have been some fights with bandits that resulted in clash of arms, including fatalities."

Kaarna looks mildly amused, "If I understood that right, you're saying you have seen some real blood being spilt." She raises her hands. "Okay, good enough for me."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-01, 11:09 AM
Soren simply nods, uncharacteristically silent. Just how old is she?

rypt
2015-03-02, 12:57 AM
Adrianna's answer catches Athard off-guard. The change in his expression is subtle, and he recovers quickly, but a practiced eye might notice that his iron gaze falters, if only for a moment. When he speaks again, his demeanor is softened, the edge in his voice dulled.

"Then you've taken a life with that blade?" he asks somberly, awaiting the critical distinction between witnessing blood being spilt, and spilling it oneself.

Silverraptor
2015-03-02, 02:04 PM
Adrianna's response may sound slightly hesitant.
"With the reports I've turned in, there have been 6 that would have to kill in the activities assigned."

CWater
2015-03-02, 02:32 PM
"Well, that's something at least", states Kaarna, oblivious to the grave tone the others shifted to, "I thought the girl was some untried cub, but she has drawn blood."

Directly to Adrianna she says, "Sorry for the doubt. You can never know with young folks. You don't seem like one to brag either, so let's say I trust your word."

rypt
2015-03-02, 06:08 PM
Athard responds immediately, as though to fill the void left by the girl's hesitation. "Such is war," he remarks plainly.

He echoes Kaarna's sentiment in his own manner, with the simple and likely familiar words, "At ease, corporal."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-02, 06:17 PM
Soren catches Athard's faltering expression, but says nothing. He seems to have melted into the background for the time being though.

CWater
2015-03-04, 02:49 AM
"What's up with you?", Kaarna says and aims a friendly punch at the bard, "Usually it's impossible to shut you up even for a minute."

Are we ready to move on?

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-04, 12:14 PM
Soren returns the punch, coupled with a smile that's more wry than anything else. "How old were you during the Last War? And what did you do? Did you ever see Cyre before...?"

I'm ready to move on!

Kish
2015-03-04, 08:48 PM
A day later, the rail pulls into Korranburg and Sur'kil rises from his seat. "We've arrived. Unless you've thought of something you forgot to purchase before we left, we should proceed directly to the ship."

The galleon Sur'kil spoke of earlier turns out to be called the Swiftwind. The winds are in your favor and it makes good progress; both Sur'kil and Lydia spend most of each day above deck while at sea. Five days later, the Swiftwind docks in Adderport.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-06, 01:37 PM
The first day of the voyage finds Soren abovedecks, laughing in delight as the wind streams through his clothes and hair and seagulls settle on the decks around him. His first time on a ship is so...freeing. The sea is amazing

The second and third days find Soren hunched over the back of the ship, utterly seasick. In between heaves he mutters, "Reduced to this..." just loud enough for people who may pass. By the fourth day he's well enough to appreciate the sight of dolphins leaping past the ship, and by the fifth day he's pretty much better, just in time for landfall.

CWater
2015-03-06, 04:44 PM
Kaarna finds that she doesn't like being at the sea at all. She's not seasick like Soren (and she's sure to tease him about that), but something about the whole idea of this construction of wood floating about in the huge vast waters makes her want to crawl into a dark corner below deck, and pray for whatever gods she has ever believed in that they don't sink. She also doesn't like the idea of the others seeing her fear, so that's an another reason to stay out of sight.

When they have solid ground under their feet again, she's back to her usual sardonic self.

Sorry it took a while to respond, I've been crazy busy this week.

Kish
2015-03-07, 10:50 AM
Adderport is a major trading center, mostly human but with sizable halfling and dwarf populations. It's slightly before noon. "Now that we've been paid more, I might have a little shopping to do," Scholar comments.

CWater
2015-03-07, 12:08 PM
"Guess I could stock up on some more scrolls", Kaarna muses. They had been paid well, but gold in itself would of little help with the troubles you faced on an adventure.

Kaarna would also like to spend some time to learn some of the spells she has. How many hours she has for this?

And it was 500 gp that we got in total from Sur'kil, right?

rypt
2015-03-07, 06:23 PM
Athard frowns as the others express their intent to make some last minute purchases. "Be quick about it, then," he says with an eye toward the sky. "We've lost the coolest hours of daylight as it is. The weather ought to hold for the next day or two, and we should make the most of it while we can."

While we waits for the others to return, Athard removes the map of their journey and begins to sketch a rough copy, a backup in the event anything should happen to the original.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-07, 07:20 PM
Soren stretches out his arms and legs, eager to get off the ship and explore this new region. "Aw, don't worry Athard, well be quick about it!" with that Soren runs off to stock up on some scrolls and chat up the locals. For the next hour or two the cheery half-elf can be found in the parks and pubs; passing around secrets with beer.

right now Soren picks up a scroll or two of heroism, and maybe some elven trail rations if he can use them--can he?

Also, Soren asks around the town for any info that Sur'kil might not know or might not have told them. Stuff about the area, other ruins or adventurers, legends, things like that. It's great to be a bard!

Gather information: [roll0] it's part of diplomacy in pathfinder.

edit: darn. Ah well.

CWater
2015-03-07, 07:24 PM
Athard frowns as the others express their intent to make some last minute purchases. "Be quick about it, then," he says with an eye toward the sky. "We've lost the coolest hours of daylight as it is. The weather ought to hold for the next day or two, and we should make the most of it while we can."

"Such haste", is Kaarna's response to this, "The ruin isn't going anywhere. But sure, I'll keep it short." She departs to find a shop that sells scrolls.

Once she has completed her purchase, she searches for a secluded spot and does ritual of feeding one to Veca. As courtesy to Athard's request, she picks one of the simplest spells. Then she returns to where they left him.

This takes 1 hour + however much time her shopping takes.

I'll give a list of what she'd like to buy and which to learn in the morning.

Kish
2015-03-08, 10:30 AM
Two hours later, all three of those who go to shop have returned, first Scholar, then Kaarna, and finally Soren. Scholar is wearing a headband she wasn't wearing before.

Let me know if you plan to walk for eight hours a day, following the trail marked on the map, until you reach something that eats you the temple, or have other plans.

rypt
2015-03-09, 02:09 PM
As they begin to make their first inroads into the sweltering jungle, Athard glances back over his shoulder. "Hey, kid," he calls out with a smirk, knowing full well that both Adrianna and Soren might respond. It's the latter he's after, and after shaking off the former, he tips his head sideways, gesturing for the half-elf to join him at the front.

"If things get ugly out there," he says with an eye on Soren's shortbow, "can I trust you to land your shots with that thing?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-09, 06:36 PM
Two hours later, all three of those who go to shop have returned, first Scholar, then Kaarna, and finally Soren. Scholar is wearing a headband she wasn't wearing before.

Let me know if you plan to walk for eight hours a day, following the trail marked on the map, until you reach something that eats you the temple, or have other plans.

Before Soren heads back, he makes sure to hide any traces of his attempts to gather information--his scarf smells like alcohol a bit more than he'd like. While the prestidigation is active is also takes the time to clean the rest of himself up too.

"Apparently the jungles are full of 'evil killer lizard men,'" Soren says, making sure to quote the words, "so this should be fun!"

As they begin to make their first inroads into the sweltering jungle, Athard glances back over his shoulder. "Hey, kid," he calls out with a smirk, knowing full well that both Adrianna and Soren might respond. It's the latter he's after, and after shaking off the former, he tips his head sideways, gesturing for the half-elf to join him at the front.

"If things get ugly out there," he says with an eye on Soren's shortbow, "can I trust you to land your shots with that thing?"

Soren returns Athard's question with a nod, an impish grin, and a quick salute. "Of course you can. And if I can't, I can definitely make sure you will and they won't."

did you block your settings or something? I can't tell when you're online so it sometimes takes me a bit to notice you posted. Sorry about that.

Silverraptor
2015-03-09, 07:10 PM
Adrianna reacts to Soren's comment about the lizard men with a barely audible exhale, but otherwise didn't react.

rypt
2015-03-09, 08:39 PM
Soren returns Athard's question with a nod, an impish grin, and a quick salute. "Of course you can. And if I can't, I can definitely make sure you will and they won't."
"That's exactly right," Athard replies. As he speaks, he removes a handful of arrows from the quiver on his hip. "Should we ever encounter something worse than your average 'evil killer lizard man,' then I'll be counting on you to make that something bleed with one of these." He holds the arrows up for a moment so that Soren can see their distinctive striped fletchings. "The coating on their tips reacts with blood to produce a rather distinctive aroma. To your nose, it will smell foul at best, but to mine, and perhaps to Kaarna's as well, there is as much to be learned from the scent of a wounded foe as there is to be seen or heard."

That's what the "instant notification by email" subscription option is for!

Athard is giving Soren 6 of his 10 pheromone arrows (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-pheromone).

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-09, 08:55 PM
Soren can't quite mask his surprise at Athard's offer, particularly when coupled with the man's earlier disdain for him. Maybe that was a bit of an act too. His smile is much easier as he takes the arrows and pockets them. "Thanks, Athard! I won't let you down. Though where did you learn to do something like that?"

Too true. I should get on that!

rypt
2015-03-09, 09:36 PM
Athard scoffs at Soren's question. "Don't get ahead of yourself."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-09, 10:09 PM
...Or not. Maybe he's just surly. Though he seemed pretty affected by Adrianna's comments when she first met. Best not to ask about that sort of thing, at least not now. So instead Soren simply gives Athard a little bow and says, "As you wish."

I wonder if Soren gets a bit of a kick out of teasing Athard. I honestly think he does.

Kish
2015-03-10, 01:03 PM
[roll0]
Your first day's travel is uneventful. When you stop for the night, you've covered about twelve miles; nearly twenty days of travel await you before you reach the temple if you keep going at this rate.

Let me know how you're setting up camp, if it's directly on the trail or how close to the trail it is.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-10, 01:22 PM
By the time night falls Soren's eager to flop down on a rock or log and stretch his poor sore legs. He'd forgotten just how exhausting traveling so long and so far can be. "I don't suppose there's any way were could get horses or a wagon or something?" he asks.

I can't believe I forgot about horses. That was stupid of me.

Soren would like to set up camp just off the trail if possible--some place relatively secluded but not overgrown.

Kish
2015-03-10, 02:21 PM
Your first day's travel is mostly uneventful, though at one point you see a panther. The panther quickly disappears into the jungle, but you are struck by the strange sensation that you saw that panther go by before, at a time when you had heavier purses and no horses.

When you stop for the night, you've covered about forty miles.

Once again Adrianna defines the lower boundary of the speed you can travel; since her class mount is automatically a heavy horse, there's no chance of you being able to travel at the 48-miles-per-day speed of all being on unencumbered light horses.

Unless someone objects to Soren's suggestion, you set up camp just off the trail. "I can keep watch," Scholar offers.

CWater
2015-03-11, 04:15 AM
Kaarna is first very much against of the idea of travelling on horseback, but gets persuaded to try. She sits awkwardly on the saddle, and soon starts to complain that it hurts her backside. The horse seems wary of her too, but whether that is due to the rider's obvious inexperience or her shifter nature is unclear.

Unless someone objects to Soren's suggestion, you set up camp just off the trail. "I can keep watch," Scholar offers.

"Oh right, your kind don't sleep. Sure, I could sure use the rest", Kaarna replies, looking surly. "As I'll have to deal with that dumb grass eater again tomorrow. But I don't think we should camp right next to the road. Or what do you say?" The last question is directed at Athard.

rypt
2015-03-12, 02:48 PM
"With adequate tree cover, we should be fine. It's not like we'll be keeping a fire burning through the night."

As a veteran of the War, Athard is more accustomed than most to the idea of warforged keeping watch while he sleeps. The warforged of his past, however, were all built for battle. Whatever the purpose was of Scholar's construction, it certainly wasn't for combat. "Anything at all out of the ordinary and you wake me up," he says firmly before settling in for the night.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-12, 03:49 PM
"Plus this'll make it east to break camp in the morning." Soren unrolls his sleeping bag and barely waits for the others before chowing down on his soft rations of oats and honey and dried fruit. "If we get in trougle, don't go fighting by yourself like everything else, Athard!" He then elbows Kaarna in the side. "did you bring a bedroll?"

CWater
2015-03-12, 05:18 PM
"No, kid. I'll sleep in the dirt and collect some branches for a pillow", Kaarna replies in caustic tone, "You should try too. It builds character."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-12, 05:57 PM
Soren shrugs, that smile still on his face. "Been there, done that, got the tunic. I think I've had enough character-building in my life, thank you very much.

Besides, everyone knows you use moss for a pillow."

Silverraptor
2015-03-12, 06:04 PM
Adrianna unpacks little, other than a head pillow and some very light blanketing. She then finds a good sturdy tree in the camp to set up against. Before she lays out for comfort completely, she also talks to the warforge.
"Don't forget to wake me up as well if something arises."
As she goes off to her bedding spot, she taps the resting crystal on her armor to make sure it was still adequately in place before allowing herself to nod off.

I can't believe I confused Adrianna's speech color to the one of my other character in another game.:smallredface:

CWater
2015-03-12, 06:28 PM
Soren shrugs, that smile still on his face. "Been there, done that, got the tunic. I think I've had enough character-building in my life, thank you very much.

Besides, everyone knows you use moss for a pillow."

Kaarna smiles shortly and unpacks a (completely normal, if worn) bedroll of her own. "Hmh, says you. If this trip won't change that silly smile, then you're a lost cause." She curls up under her blanket. She exchanges a few more words with her familiar before falling asleep.

Find a spot and stay put, Veca. No wandering around, or practical jokes.

Not even with the armored girl?

No. Just get some rest.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-12, 08:13 PM
Soren settles into the bedroll, wiggling his legs until they feel just right. "aww, why do you have to be so negative?" pretty soon he too curls up and falls asleep.

everyone ready to go?

Kish
2015-03-12, 09:06 PM
Scholar awakens you the next morning. Your camp has apparently been undisturbed.

You continue in this fashion for three more days. Shortly after you rise and set out on the fifth day, as you turn yet another corner along the overgrown jungle trail, you suddenly come across a well-armed lizardfolk standing somewhat surprised in the middle of the path. He eyes you warily as he motions to another five lizardfolk behind him.

Roll initiative, but don't take that to indicate hostilities are beginning; the lizardfolk looks wary but not, for the moment, hostile. Also, while it doesn't necessarily matter yet, it would be a good idea to decide on a marching order.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Silverraptor
2015-03-12, 09:28 PM
Adrianna moves slightly forward to get some of the group slightly behind her. Her hand is quick to grab the hilt of her sword, but she doesn't draw it yet as she keeps and eye on the lizardfolk, wearily.

[roll0]

CWater
2015-03-13, 05:12 AM
"I think we found those 'evil killer lizardfolk' of yours", Kaarna mutters to Soren, "Got some sweet words in stock?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-13, 09:00 AM
"I'll try," Soren says. He doesn't draw his bow, though he does shift his weight a bit so he can grab it more easily. "Good morning!" he calls out to the lizardfolk with a smile in Common, and then Draconic if the lizardfolk does not initially understand. "My name is Soren, and these are my friends. Might we have permission to pass through your jungle?"

Here's hoping it works. Anyone have an Aid Another in their back pockets just in case?

Diplomacy: [roll0]

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-13, 09:18 AM
Sorry, I forgot!
Initiative: [roll0]

rypt
2015-03-13, 01:53 PM
With his hands clasped on the horn of his saddle, Athard watches the lizardfolk closely, his eyes searching the nearby trees for any others of their kind. When Adrianna begins to reach for her sword, he audibly clears his throat, cautioning the corporal against any action that might appear hostile.

Initiative: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Kish
2015-03-13, 04:12 PM
After a moment, the leader gestures and all the lizardfolk step aside.
"We don't want trouble," the leader says.

CWater
2015-03-13, 04:27 PM
Kaarna raises an eyebrow. "They're letting us past?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-13, 04:37 PM
"Sounds like," Soren says. "He said they don't want any trouble, and honestly I don't want any and I don't think you do either. We don't want any either," he finishes in Draconic while turning to the head lizardfolk with a smile and an appreciative nod. "Thank you." It doesn't seem like he'd be able to get any information from them, would he?

EDIT: "I think we should just move on," Soren says. "What do you guys think?"

CWater
2015-03-14, 07:34 PM
"Agreed", Kaarna says, keeping an eye on the lizardfolk.

rypt
2015-03-15, 05:37 PM
"We have an opportunity here," Athard says lowly but harshly, clearly irritated by the others' timidity. "If they're letting us pass, then these aren't Surkil's demon worshipers. Ask them about the temple."

CWater
2015-03-15, 06:18 PM
"They might know the 'demon worshippers' though, and go tattle to them that a group of strangers have come looking for the temple", Kaarna says, leaning back in her saddle, " 'Course they might do that in any case. Speak if you want, kid."

Kish
2015-03-15, 06:23 PM
You think the lizardfolk leader understands what you're saying in Common, though for whatever reason he's not responding to it verbally.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-15, 06:33 PM
"Uh, I think they understand what we're saying," Soren suddenly whispers. "Or at least the leader does."

I auto pass but let's see if he can pick up anything else.

CWater
2015-03-15, 06:57 PM
"Uh, I think they understand what we're saying," Soren suddenly whispers. "Or at least the leader does."

I auto pass but let's see if he can pick up anything else.

"Is that so...", Kaarna mutters back. Outloud she says, "Then perhaps it would be better for you to chat a little more, explain the situation to him." She lowers her voice again, "And maybe you should add that getting in our way would be a bad choice, for him and his tribe. Wonder if these types need a demonstration of strength..."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-16, 12:06 PM
"Everything okay?" Soren suddenly asks the lizardfolk in common, his levity now ever so slightly forced.

Did he get anything extra from that sense motive?

Kish
2015-03-16, 12:21 PM
Annoyance, wariness, possibly underlying amusement; no hostility.

"Yes, I speak Human," the lizardfolk leader says in an arguably non-sequitur reply to Soren's question.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-16, 12:30 PM
Soren's smile is somewhat more relaxed at the lack of hostility from him. "So you heard what we were talking about, I guess?"

Kish
2015-03-16, 12:53 PM
"Yes," the leader says, his eyes briefly going to Kaarna.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-16, 01:15 PM
"So...are you willing to tell us anything?" Soren laughs a bit and rubs the back of his neck, ruffling his hair.

do you want another diplomacy check? I'm not posting too much am I?
EDIT: he pauses and takes a breath. Not much to lose, right? "Actually, would you please be able to tell us a bit about this place? Were on the right path, right?" He gives a loose description of the temple they're headed towards.

Kish
2015-03-16, 01:35 PM
"Yes." He looks at your horses before saying, "Probably another day's travel. Watch out for the blackscales and poison dusk, they kill soft-skins and metal-skins on sight. When you first see temple, you go that way--" (he points to the north) "--until you reach a hill with a cave, the blackscales and poison dusk probably won't find you if you camp in cave."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-16, 02:12 PM
Soren digests the information with a nod. "Thanks for the help!"

he seems to be honest, right?

Kish
2015-03-16, 02:20 PM
As far as you can tell he's honest. Let me know if you're asking more questions, or riding on past him.

CWater
2015-03-16, 05:43 PM
"Yes." He looks at your horses before saying, "Probably another day's travel. Watch out for the blackscales and poison dusk, they kill soft-skins and metal-skins on sight. When you first see temple, you go that way--" (he points to the north) "--until you reach a hill with a cave, the blackscales and poison dusk probably won't find you if you camp in cave."

"And why do you think they wouldn't find us there?", Kaarna asks, staring intently at the leader while wrapping a lock of her hair around her finger, "What's it to you anyway, if we run into them or not?"

She is a suspicious nature.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-16, 05:53 PM
"Kaarna, I don't think he's lying." Soren holds out a hand, cautious. "Maybe there's a rivalry between the tribes or something?"

Soren is not and given that this is dnd he probably should be. :smalltongue:

Kish
2015-03-16, 07:12 PM
"Nothing at all," the leader tells Kaarna.

CWater
2015-03-17, 01:43 AM
"Kaarna, I don't think he's lying." Soren holds out a hand, cautious. "Maybe there's a rivalry between the tribes or something?"

Soren is not and given that this is dnd he probably should be. :smalltongue:

Kaarna squints her eyes. "You think people are nice. I know they are mostly bastards, only interested in the safety of their own bellies. And he didn't answer the first question."

Oh, the cynicism...

If the lizardfolk aren't saying more, Kaarna's willing to move on.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-17, 12:17 PM
The smile fades from Soren's face. "Kaarna, just because I know most people are out for them and theirs doesn't mean I can't think they're generally decent too. Anyway I don't think he's lying."

I'm cool with moving on too.

Kish
2015-03-17, 12:38 PM
"Was there more you wanted, soft-skin?" the lizardfolk leader asks Soren, ignoring Kaarna for the moment.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-17, 12:50 PM
"It's Soren," Soren says. He looks back at everyone else. "And I think we're okay?"

I feel kinda bad about the lack of silver and Rypt, but silver said he's in finals week right now. What's scholar doing or saying or thinking?

rypt
2015-03-17, 01:27 PM
Athard exhales a tired breath and leans forward in his saddle. "How many of the blackscales and poison dusk inhabit the temple?" he asks the lizardfolk leader, speaking in perfectly accented draconic.

Kish
2015-03-17, 01:38 PM
"Too many, with children of Rhashaak and great jungle beasts,," the leader replies. "Enough to demand tribute from the tribes of the land."

rypt
2015-03-17, 08:18 PM
Athard furrows his brow. "Who or what is Rhashaak?"

Kish
2015-03-18, 11:44 AM
"You're going to the temple but you don't know of Rhashaak? Part dragon, part fiend; he claims rulership over this whole jungle, though he can only enforce it near the temple. The blackscales and poison dusk serve him. The blackscales claim to be descended from him--like that's something to be proud of if it's true." He turns his head and spits before continuing, "And like Rhashaak thinks them any less expendable for it."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-18, 11:58 AM
Soren's eyes go wide and he swallows, though he quickly masks the nervousness. Nobody told them that--were Sur'kil and Lydia unaware?

(in a mix of Common and Draconic, mostly Draconic)

"We didn't--thank you for telling us. What does Rhashaak look like," part dragon, part fiend? He's never heard of something like that before, never heard of a part-dragon anything before, much less a fiend outside of the scary stories Blake told him. "And if these blackscale and poison dusk lizardfolk say they're descended from him he's been around a while, right? Is that why you're far from the temple, to get away from him?"

Would Soren or any of us know what the Rakshasa are, or why they're such bad news? Assuming what this guy is?

Also, I'm sorry but the light blue text is really hard to read.

Kish
2015-03-18, 12:23 PM
"Sur'kil said that the lizardfolk in the temple worshiped a 'half-fiend dragon god,'" Scholar comments. "He didn't say the dragon was present and active himself, though."

"Yes, we're going home, before the thieving blackscales take our huts, too," the lizardfolk leader says. "I haven't seen Rhashaak himself, but he's supposed to look like a big black dragon."

If you can make this roll, you know what rakshasa are and that, despite the name, a creature described as part-fiend, part-dragon, looking like a dragon, and interbreeding with lizardfolk is unlikely to be one of them.
Scholar's roll: [roll0]

Sorry about that. I'll just use standard black text for this guy.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-18, 12:53 PM
"Sur'kil said that the lizardfolk in the temple worshiped a 'half-fiend dragon god,'" Scholar comments. "He didn't say the dragon was present and active himself, though."

"Yes, we're going home, before the thieving blackscales take our huts, too," the lizardfolk leader says. "I haven't seen Rhashaak himself, but he's supposed to look like a big black dragon."

"Oh yeah...thanks, Scholar. Whoops."
Oh, right, how could he have forgotten that? Soren mentally smacks himself. "Thanks for letting us know anyway. I hope you can get back home safely--they're on the hunt right now? Is there anything we can do to help you once we get there?" he's never seen a dragon, but if one is this fierce he really doesn't want to!

If you can make this roll, you know what rakshasa are and that, despite the name, a creature described as part-fiend, part-dragon, looking like a dragon, and interbreeding with lizardfolk is unlikely to be one of them.
Scholar's roll: [roll0]

Sorry about that. I'll just use standard black text for this guy.

take 10 for 18. Yay bardic knowledge!

And thank you. Sorry this post is short, I'm between classes and need to hurry.

...even if it's a dragon and not an actual Rakshasa. Though he idea of facing either isn't exactly comforting.

CWater
2015-03-18, 01:57 PM
Kaarna looks questioningly at Soren, "Care to tell me what he said? I don't speak lizard."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-18, 03:04 PM
Kaarna looks questioningly at Soren, "Care to tell me what he said? I don't speak lizard."

"It's Draconic, and turns out that apparently the dragon fiend Sur'kil told us about is in town and in charge. The blackscales and poison dusk guys say they're related to him but apparently they're disposable minions to the d-dragon. And the blackscales are also robbing these guys." he indicates the lizard folk in front of them. "Which I guess answers your question?"

CWater
2015-03-18, 04:08 PM
"It's Draconic, and turns out that apparently the dragon fiend Sur'kil told us about is in town and in charge. The blackscales and poison dusk guys say they're related to him but apparently they're disposable minions to the d-dragon. And the blackscales are also robbing these guys." he indicates the lizard folk in front of them. "Which I guess answers your question?"

"Hmh, maybe. So the dragon fiend's real then", Kaarna frowns, "That's a problem. We should try to not draw attention from these guys if we can."

Kish
2015-03-19, 07:46 PM
"If you're going to the temple...there's nothing I'd ask you to do that you're not going to have to do. The blackscales and poison dusk will kill you or die trying." He lets out a mirthless chuckle.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-20, 10:34 AM
"Well, hopefully it'll be the latter," Soren says with a more wry smile. "And should we let you know after?"

Kish
2015-03-20, 10:41 AM
"That won't be necessary, but thank you. If you can actually take the temple from the blackscales, all the tribes of the jungle will hear about it quickly."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-22, 08:56 PM
"You're welcome, and I guess you should keep your ears open." He looks back at the others and quickly translates the conversation, only occasionally stumbling over the trickier words or tenses.

Kish
2015-03-23, 07:03 PM
You ride on past the lizardfolk and down the trail. The sun is beginning to set when Athard first catches sight of the temple.

rypt
2015-03-24, 08:04 AM
Athard holds up a hand to signal the others as he slows his horse to a stop. "Looks like we're here," he says once the rest of the party has gathered close. If necessary, he points out the temple through the trees. "We should find that lizardfolk's cave. Should be a decent spot to tie up the horses."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-24, 09:39 AM
Soren follows Athard's gaze to the stonework of te temple peeking through tangled vines and jungle trees. "That was easier than I thought it would be. You see what a little friendliness will get you?" he adds with a grin. The half-elf also looks for the cave, and a place to put the horses.

take 10 for 20.

Kish
2015-03-24, 10:04 AM
You find the cave as the lizardfolk leader described it.

"Are we spending the night here, or heading on on foot tonight?" Scholar asks.

CWater
2015-03-24, 10:56 AM
Soren follows Athard's gaze to the stonework of te temple peeking through tangled vines and jungle trees. "That was easier than I thought it would be. You see what a little friendliness will get you?" he adds with a grin.
Kaarna just snorts at this.

You find the cave as the lizardfolk leader described it.

"Are we spending the night here, or heading on on foot tonight?" Scholar asks.

"I'm not interested in sleeping in a place other folk know about, however friendly you think they are", Kaarna says shortly, but she is happy to get off the horse.

I have no particular reason to distrust the previous lizardfolk, so sleeping here is fine by me. Kaarna is unlikely to stop being paranoid, but that's her problem. :smallwink:

Silverraptor
2015-03-24, 12:35 PM
"As long as we have someone on guard and we remain alert. One night might be passable. But we should remain on high-guard."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-24, 12:46 PM
"You guys can't see well at night, right?" Soren yawns and stretches, finishing with a scratch between his horse's ears. "Adrianna's right, as long as we keep a lookout we'll be fine. And Scholar doesn't need to sleep anyway!" He yawns again--is it the mugginess that's making him extra tired? "I'd prefer being rested when we head inside, and that cave will protect us against rain too."

rypt
2015-03-25, 01:18 PM
"I'm not interested in sleeping in a place other folk know about, however friendly you think they are", Kaarna says shortly, but she is happy to get off the horse.
"Then don't sleep," Athard replies with shortness to match. "I'm sure Scholar would enjoy the company." He glances from the quiet warforged and back to the crotchety shifter. "Well, maybe..."

He dismounts from his horse and and begins to untie his saddle bags. "I'll scout the area before it gets dark. We'll move on the temple in the morning."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-25, 02:25 PM
"By yourself?" Soren pauses his rummaging through his saddlebags. "You sure you'll be okay? I know you like to vanish on people but what if you need to fight or something? I'm a bit stealthy and I can use illusion magic; do you want me to go with you?"

CWater
2015-03-26, 04:13 AM
"Then don't sleep," Athard replies with shortness to match. "I'm sure Scholar would enjoy the company." He glances from the quiet warforged and back to the crotchety shifter. "Well, maybe..."

Kaarna snorts loudly again, but a small smirk passes through her face.

He dismounts from his horse and and begins to untie his saddle bags. "I'll scout the area before it gets dark. We'll move on the temple in the morning."

"By yourself?" Soren pauses his rummaging through his saddlebags. "You sure you'll be okay? I know you like to vanish on people but what if you need to fight or something? I'm a bit stealthy and I can use illusion magic; do you want me to go with you?"

"Just make sure he won't end up needing to protect you", the witch says and taps the bard's shoulder, "I'm going to feed my pet."

Before she does this though, Kaarna takes a deep breath and then starts sniffing around the cave. She still doesn't like the idea of staying here. After she has made sure she doesn't smell anything alarming, she finds herself a spot with her back against the wall and starts going through her scroll collection.

Activating Scent for the one minute. I don't really expect her to find much, but do I need to roll something? (Can't remember how Scent works.)

How much time would she have to work on learning spells?

Kish
2015-03-26, 07:32 AM
Scholar stands against one wall of the cave, watching the entrance, as Soren and Athard leave.

There have been lizardfolk here, not recently.

Dawn is in eleven or twelve hours.
I need to know what spells you're using.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-26, 08:39 AM
Scholar stands against one wall of the cave, watching the entrance, as Soren and Athard leave.

There have been lizardfolk here, not recently.

Dawn is in eleven or twelve hours.
I need to know what spells you're using.

Soren isn't going to use any spells at first, since none of them have a duration of 20 minutes. If it seems like there might be trouble ahead he'll cast invisibility, first on himself and then on Athard (since Athard has the higher stealth score). If they need a distraction he'll use some combination of silent image, ghost sound, and minor image.

EDIT: Soren returns Kaarna's gesture by patting her wrist. "Don't worry, we'll be fine and back before you know it." His smile softens slightly at the edges.

Kish
2015-03-26, 10:28 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/2hi7z9g.png
You see two clusters of mud huts to either side of the trail approaching the temple. At the nearer cluster to you, the one on the east, a short reptilian humanoid reclines near one of the small huts, barely noticeable due to its shifting, chameleonlike skin. It has a bow within easy reach, next to a large toadstool currently serving as a pincushion for the creature's arrows. As far as you can tell it does not see you.

This is a poison dusk lizardfolk. The subrace is smaller than most lizardfolk, cunning, stealthy, fond of using poison as the name suggests. Their ability to hide makes them good rangers.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-26, 10:42 AM
Take 10 for 18 thanks to Bardic Knowledge!

Soren shifts lower in the undergrowth. Hopefully the patterns of light and shadow caused by the setting sun and foliage will help conceal him. Most of his hiding in the past involved making himself unnoticed, not outright unseen. "Poison dusk," he whispers to Athard, almost mouths more than anything else. "Looks like they're living here. Should we go back?" He looks around, flitting his eyes back and forth for any sign of a trail or marks of other creatures.

Perception: [roll0]

Can Soren find another path around the area, or signs that a dragon-demon thing or anything else were here? And that gray thing at the top is the temple entrance, right? Also, do these huts look permanent or semi-permanent?

Silverraptor
2015-03-26, 01:33 PM
Adrianna dismisses her mount and makes her way inside. She stands mostly alert as the 2 leave for anything that might be out there.

rypt
2015-03-26, 01:51 PM
Nearly flat on his stomach, Athard pulls himself forward with his knees and forearms. Peering through the brush, he frowns at the sight of the solitary lizardfolk. There are undoubtedly more inside the huts, particularly in the larger structures to the west. How many more, however, he cannot know. Not yet, at least.

He shakes his head at Soren. "Now we wait," he whispers back.

Assuming they aren't visible from the trail, Athard would prefer to observe the huts for a while to see if he can get a better sense of their numbers. He'll only stay for as long as there is sufficient light to withdraw safely, to a maximum of 45 minutes or so.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-26, 02:09 PM
"Really?" he whispers back, a pensive note to the end of the word. After a moments silence he turns back to watch with a sigh and a, "Fine."

One of the things about Soren is that he gets bored so easily. After just a few minutes of watching he's watching a few ants scuttle across the leaves in front of him. Not long after that he's...not humming, not making noise, but moving his lips to some sort of chant or song. He also quietly taps a finger in the dirt before him in a rhythmic pattern. But he's still watching carefully, even if his hazel eyes are slightly glazed over from boredom.

Kish
2015-03-26, 02:28 PM
It's already pretty dark by the time you get there, after walking to the cave and then close to the temple again. The lizardfolk doesn't move from where it (he? she?) is sitting in the first few minutes you spend looking.

CWater
2015-03-27, 04:58 PM
Back at the cave, Kaarna picks a scroll, and performs the strange procedure of teaching the spell to her familiar. First she makes a small cut to her finger, and draws a complex symbol on the parchment with her blood. After that she rips it to pieces, burns the remains and then mixes the ashes with some thick suspiciuos looking substance she keeps in a jar in her bag. The resulting dough the witch offers to her familiar, who doesn't seem to enthusiastic about digging in.
"Oh c'mon", Kaarna coaxes the reluctant scorpion, "It's transmutation, good and filling. And the spell has a nice crisp to it, so eat up." Eventually Veca does so, first carefully nibbling the dinner, but soon gobbling it up.

Spell is Excruciating Deformation, as a 3rd level spell, all of this takes 3 hours.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-27, 10:16 PM
Soren glances sideways at Athard, nervously pressing the tops of his index fingers together. "Full humans can't see as well in the dark as I can, right? Are you able to see in this, or should we go back?"

rypt
2015-03-28, 01:23 AM
Athard's jaw clenches tight as he curses silently to himself. "Can't stay," he whispers in reply, nodding his head back towards the direction from which they came.

Kish
2015-03-29, 08:08 AM
Back at the cave, Scholar looks toward you, only her head moving, and says, "What did you observe?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-29, 03:02 PM
Back at the cave, Scholar looks toward you, only her head moving, and says, "What did you observe?"

Okay, that's a bit creepy. You don't really think about how human bodies turn to follow heads until they don't. Still, it's not really Scholar's fault, so Soren swallows and says, "There's a poison dusk camp right on the road to the temple, a few hundred feet from it. The jungles pretty thick; I don't think we can sneak past them. I'm not sure how many lizard folk are there but it's definitely occupied. There were...two clusters of huts, each with four huts."

CWater
2015-03-30, 08:18 AM
Okay, that's a bit creepy. You don't really think about how human bodies turn to follow heads until they don't. Still, it's not really Scholar's fault, so Soren swallows and says, "There's a poison dusk camp right on the road to the temple, a few hundred feet from it. The jungles pretty thick; I don't think we can sneak past them. I'm not sure how many lizard folk are there but it's definitely occupied. There were...two clusters of huts, each with four huts."

Kaarna frowns. "I'd like to know the numbers before we turn this into a fight", she says, "Can't you turn invisible or something?"

"There was one spell I have on scroll...", she rummages through her backpack,"That could scare away at least some of them..."

Kish
2015-03-30, 08:46 AM
"Turning invisible is currently beyond my abilities," Scholar says. "Not surprising that the temple is guarded."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-30, 09:16 AM
Kaarna frowns. "I'd like to know the numbers before we turn this into a fight", she says, "Can't you turn invisible or something?"

"There was one spell I have on scroll...", she rummages through her backpack,"That could scare away at least some of them..."

"Yes, but I can only cast it three times a day, and then I won't be able to cast any other spells that strong for the rest of the day either. And we only saw one lizardfolk but I know there's more in the huts." He pauses. "What do you have in your bag, Kaarna?"

CWater
2015-03-30, 10:11 AM
"Turning invisible is currently beyond my abilities," Scholar says. "Not surprising that the temple is guarded."

"Yes, but I can only cast it three times a day, and then I won't be able to cast any other spells that strong for the rest of the day either. And we only saw one lizardfolk but I know there's more in the huts."

The witch sighs and and throws her hands in the air. "Guess that can't be helped. I can't do it either, Veca is picky, and he hates the taste of Illusions."

He pauses. "What do you have in your bag, Kaarna?"

"Lots of things, but I'll keep the frogs contained", she grins, "Anyway, this is what I was looking for." She holds one scroll between two fingers. "This spell (assuming the merchant didn't rip me off), could scare at least some of them to run away. Only works on a limited number and range, about 30 ft. though. But, if we comp that with an illusion of yours, we could get a better effect." She grins again, "A few run, the rest should follow. Basic pack behaviour."

She taps her temple with the end of the wrapped parchment, "I'd need a few more hours to have Veca stomach the spell first though, I don't care to waste the scroll. Would have been nice if I'd have learned it earlier, but", she shrugs, "Didn't think of it then."

Kish
2015-03-30, 10:17 AM
Scholar shows animation at last at Kaarna's words. "Lizardfolk are as intelligent as you are," she says. "They're not simply going to run away and disappear from our lives. I don't know what the duration is on the spell you're thinking of, but even if it's hours, going from hoping to become invisible to a plan that guarantees every poison dusk or blackscale lizardfolk in the temple will know about us as soon as the spell wears off seems strange and tactically unwise. I would say we should try to avoid any lizardfolk we fight getting away, for as long as we might still have the advantage of surprise against our enemies."

CWater
2015-03-30, 10:27 AM
Scholar shows animation at last at Kaarna's words. "Lizardfolk are as intelligent as you are," she says. "They're not simply going to run away and disappear from our lives. I don't know what the duration is on the spell you're thinking of, but even if it's hours, going from hoping to become invisible to a plan that guarantees every poison dusk or blackscale lizardfolk in the temple will know about us as soon as the spell wears off seems strange and tactically unwise. I would say we should try to avoid any lizardfolk we fight getting away, for as long as we might still have the advantage of surprise against our enemies."

Kaarna looks at Scholar with raised eyebrows. "You'd prefer to torch them all to crisp?", she asks, and a small spark flickers from her fingers, "I was trying to think of other options, because I've been told that I should, for some reason, but if that's on the table then sure! Let's not make this overly complicated."

"Though you'll have convince the kid yourself", she nods towards the Soren, "I suspect he's generally against death and destruction."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-30, 06:42 PM
"how did you guess?" Soren asks. He pauses and looks down at his hands. Yeah, he's killed people before, but it was in self-defense. Isn't there something else they can try first? Even if diplomacy is out.

"What if we knock them out? Or scare them off with your spell and an illusion? You guys seen awfully eager to turn to violence. Do you need blood for your wit it spells or something?" Scholar is a warforged, so it sort of makes sense for her though. But as Soren looks at scholar, then Kaarna, then Athard and Adrianne, he gets the distinct feeling he's in the minority.

Kish
2015-03-30, 06:55 PM
Scholar gives Soren a surprised look. "If you can come up with a tactical plan that leaves them alive and doesn't result in our dying, I am certainly listening. Unless you think this Rhashaak would be willing to sell us the relics Sur'kil wants--for less than we're getting paid for this--then his servants will likely do their best to kill us. If any of them run away knowing that there are intruders there, they'll alert every lizardfolk they meet, and I cannot see a better-case scenario for us than one where they merely collect one or two more groups before coming back to attack us again and we still kill them. I realize not all of us were programmed with combat tactics, but, as adventurers, we are all professional killers."

Silverraptor
2015-03-30, 07:17 PM
"Whatever you all decide, My orders are to protect all of you from danger and potential harm. Lethal force is authorized."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-30, 11:27 PM
Soren pauses and twiddles his fingers together. "I thought we could make an illusion of another dragon invading to scare them off or something," he mumbles. "Is it really that bad of an idea?"

CWater
2015-03-31, 12:50 AM
"I think it sounds hilarious", says Kaarna and leans her back against the stone wall. After a moment spent thinking she continues. "One thing about that torching plan though. What if they've got tinies around? Call me a softie, but I don't like the idea of slaying cubs, or whatever those are for lizards, tadpoles? It just ain't right."

rypt
2015-03-31, 02:08 AM
Athard regards Soren incredulously. "And is your illusion capable of producing sound?" he asks, in a tone that suggests he already knows the answer.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-31, 07:26 AM
"I think it sounds hilarious", says Kaarna and leans her back against the stone wall. After a moment spent thinking she continues. "One thing about that torching plan though. What if they've got tinies around? Call me a softie, but I don't like the idea of slaying cubs, or whatever those are for lizards, tadpoles? It just ain't right."

Soren's face goes dark. "I'm not doing that," he mutters.

Athard regards Soren incredulously. "And is your illusion capable of producing sound?" he asks, in a tone that suggests he already knows the answer.

"Actually, it is," Soren says. He sings something too rapidly to make out the words, moves his fingers in a blur, and suddenly a silhouette of a dragon appears overhead in the cave. It circles around them, roaring something somewhat distant once or twice, and then lands between Athard and Kaarna and seemingly drapes its wings over the two. It growls again and breathes an illusory tongue of flame at Scholar and Adrianna.

CWater
2015-03-31, 08:46 AM
"That's still a bit silent for a dragon", Kaarna says and eyes the beast, "Still... I'm not really convinced of the war machine's extermination plan either", she looks back at Scholar, "What makes you think we could take out all of them anyway? Someone is bound to run, some always do."

Kish
2015-03-31, 09:00 AM
"In your adventuring career, you've never fought a group of enemies where none of them ran away during the fight, even if you didn't magically compel them to run?" Scholar looks at the others. "Is that your experience as well, Soren, Athard?"

CWater
2015-03-31, 09:07 AM
"In your adventuring career, you've never fought a group of enemies where none of them ran away during the fight, even if you didn't magically compel them to run?" Scholar looks at the others. "Is that your experience as well, Soren, Athard?"

"Uh... That's not really what I meant", Kaarna says, with a dumb look on her face.

Scholar takes things very literally doesn't she ;)

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-31, 09:17 AM
"Uh...what?" Soren blinks and tries to work out the multiple double negatives in his head. "I was usually the one running..." He's clearly still trying to work out the double negatives when the dragon roars in Kaarna's ear. "I can't do loud noises until I get stronger with illusions, but I can make them do basic sounds."

CWater
2015-03-31, 03:46 PM
Kaarna twitches at the sudden sound. "Hey, watch it with the toy dragon", she swats the air in the illusions direction. "So folks, what do we do? After all this talk I'm leaning on the most simple approach possible, we just walk over there and see what happens."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-03-31, 08:55 PM
The dragon sticks its tongue out at Kaarna. Turns out illusions can make a raspberry blowing noise pretty well. Soren, for his part, smiles.

"I don't think we should just march up and say, 'Hi, how are you, can we run into your temple and take your treasure please?'"