PDA

View Full Version : A class concept which I believe must already exist.

dehro
2015-01-16, 05:17 AM
Hi... I just had a silly dream of which i remember absolutely nothing, except it's left me with the notion of a character which I would like to explore.

Very basically, I am thinking of an arcane archer who either imbues his arrows with spells as appropriate on the spot, or who is some sort of artificer who produces a range of explode-y arrows for him to use at a later point in time
So, like the arcane archer, except a full class, and a little more versatile.
Does something like it exist? Could it be done with reasonable chances of not dying horribly? Would it have to focus on the martial side of things and treat the magical oumph as a nice side-bonus or could it actually be mostly a matter of getting the arrow somewhat in the right direction and letting magic do its thing?
The main curiosity is whether, flavour wise it would be possible to play him from the get go as a unusual archer with a plan, say, with a dedicated class, or whether it would have to be a regular character who develops the combination of these ideas over time by multiclassing into it.

Xerlith
2015-01-16, 05:18 AM
Uh, Artificer with archery feats? Spell-storing weapon infusion does all you want and more. And normal crafting takes care of, well, crafting.

A warmage with all his spells refluffed as arcane arrows?
An actual Warmage with two Arcane Archer levels? Or any arcane spellcaster with two AA levels?
A Duskblade that begged the DM for Arcane Channeling to work with ranged instead of melee attacks?

Eldan
2015-01-16, 05:36 AM
Homebrew allowed? I think there's several, if you look around a bit.

You could probably also do something with psychic warrior.

avr
2015-01-16, 06:03 AM
If pathfinder works for you the grenadier archetype of the alchemist can fit this idea perfectly.

If not, as Xerlith suggested artificer is the obvious way to go.

Sian
2015-01-16, 06:30 AM
pairing Soulknife->Soulbow with something maybe?

Blackhawk748
2015-01-16, 06:51 AM
Standard Arcane Archer build? (use the PF version, you will be much happier)

ben-zayb
2015-01-16, 07:06 AM
There's a homebrew (Arcane Archer fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?331205-Arcane-Archer-%28PEACH-FIX%29)) for that.

Alternatively, make a Duskblade with necessary levels in Bloodstorm Blade for a "spell thrower" instead of a "spell slinger/archer"

Eldan
2015-01-16, 07:06 AM
A refluffed warlock could also work? Call the Eldritch blast a summoned energy bow. There's also this one cross-class for arcane casting/warlock that, I think, can imbue spells in their blasts.