PDA

View Full Version : Magical Amusement Park

Kitten Champion
2015-01-16, 06:31 AM
As some of my group is going to be absent through February we've decided to pause our current campaign and run a short-ish PF game with our remaining members.

Seeing as the plot outline I have is something that could be done in any sizable populated area, I was thinking of going with a high-fantasy version of Disney World. A walled-off city-sized theme park for the conspicuously wealthy where the magic isn't merely metaphorical. I'm looking for ideas for attractions that can make it interesting.

So, what would you want or hope to see in such a setting?

prufock
2015-01-16, 08:49 AM
I think you could just take what you'd find in a normal amusement park and "magic it up" a bit.

A menagerie of animals, magical beasts, maybe even a small dragon. They might be ho hum to adventurers, but your average town- or city-folk wouldn't be likely to ever see these things otherwise.

What amusement park is complete without rides? In addition to some standards like a Ferris Wheel, you can have magic carpet rides (literally), short-range low-level teleport rides (this should seriously be a rush to commoners who have never done any teleporting), frictionless slides, and so on. With magic you can even have "virtual reality" rides and holographic displays.

Think World's Fair. You can have displays of new exciting inventions, both mechanical and magical. Who wouldn't want a ride in an Apparatus of Qualish?

Think Disney. Magical fireworks every night, little villages of dwarven, elven, halfling, gnome cultures. Big costumes of adorable monsters (a guy in a gelatinous cube costume!) and well-known heroes of the realm.

Round out with a freak show, using rare monstrous humanoids or such.

And finally, games! The use of magic allows for a lot of variations on the old carny games, even using just cantrips. Acid splash to disintegrate your way through a canvas (shoot out the star), ray of frost to hit balloons, knock over the bottles with a ball (except the bottles run away), create water into the clown's mouth, etc.

goto124
2015-01-16, 09:23 AM
It won't be a really serious campaign I guess?

Magic can be added to more than the rides. Tickets can be scribed with magical feathers and stamps, parents might use Silence spells on their children, a prankster might put up a poster of Explosive Runes. "Hey, this looks like a cool ride- BOOM".

The PCs might hurt people on accident. Nat 1 on a ray of frost? You miss the balloon and hit the vendor. The vendor can even lash back when he thaws.

Red Fel
2015-01-16, 09:24 AM
So, what would you want or hope to see in such a setting?

Crazyland. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?318311-Netherese-Enclave-Crazyland)

LibraryOgre
2015-01-16, 11:08 AM
I think there's something that must be included... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JjhQ1Oi_3k)