PDA

View Full Version : Random Treasure Tables

MadGrady
2015-01-16, 09:41 AM
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the random treasure tables found in the DMG.

How have you used them?
How do you like them?
Do they give more than you intend?

etc

I've started a pirate based game, and was looking for quick ways to generate the treasure found in the treasure chests.

Edit - We are starting at 4th level by the way.

Felvion
2015-01-16, 10:39 AM
I've only used them twice as my campaign is currently paused for few weeks but they worked better than expected.
I suppose in a pirate campaign where randomness is more or less wanted they should be fine.

Alucard2099
2015-01-16, 12:14 PM
I like they way they are set up. You can always choose the strength of the items by the table you roll on, then simply roll and be random!

Baptor
2015-01-17, 12:12 PM
They are great but if you believe the hype about 5e being a low-magic game you will be shocked. I only.do one hoarde treasure per session (at the end of the dungeon) and already my players have more items than they can use.

Jlooney
2015-01-17, 12:50 PM
I too have only used horde treasure. The main thing about it I don't like is the huge gap in tables. 5 cr tables is a huge gap. I think to much. Otherwise I suppose it's ok. I prefer 2nd edt Magic item tables more.

Baptor
2015-01-17, 01:32 PM
I too have only used horde treasure. The main thing about it I don't like is the huge gap in tables. 5 cr tables is a huge gap. I think to much. Otherwise I suppose it's ok. I prefer 2nd edt Magic item tables more.

I've thought about that. Aren't you worried they'll find a staff of the magi or vorpal sword at level 3? That's possible on those tables ya know.